Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2014, 21:57   #2326
VKS
BHPian

It seems all normal now in Chennai. There were few roadblocks on Saturday and that's it .It all passed quite peacefully .

In fact I was at Ponneri when the judgment came and was quite apprehensive about my return journey . There were a few roadblocks but police cleared it equally fast.
Old 30th September 2014, 23:41   #2327
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
It all passed quite peacefully...
Except that I don't think it has "passed" yet. The story is ongoing and far from over yet, and the reactions to any developments will be on a day-by-day basis.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 23:53   #2328
Senior - BHPian

There's the bail plea on the 6th, Monday. that would be critical.
Old 1st October 2014, 02:05   #2329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
There's the bail plea on the 6th, Monday. that would be critical.
Special bench of Karnataka High Court to hear bail plea tomorrow. Hope the state returns to normalcy.
Old 1st October 2014, 03:24   #2330
Senior - BHPian

There are times when you purposefully do things that are against the law. One of them personally i feel was passing this judgement. This should have been just postponed personally for the good of the state. Creating instability is not a wise move considering the law and order is to actually ensure the law and order is maintained.

I may sound like a supporter, but i am just saying there are times you have to make stupid decisions to delay that does more good than harm.

The judge did what is right, but could have thought about the reaction and played it differently.

Just my point of view and nothing to support the culprits but more so worried about the state now.
Old 1st October 2014, 08:46   #2331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The judge did what is right, but could have thought about the reaction and played it differently.
Asking the judge to take actions based on its possible law and order consequences (or economic or social or any other) is a very bad thing to do.

Anticipating such judgments are improving policing is the executive branch's job and by and large, I think the TN police managed quite OK.
Old 1st October 2014, 11:12   #2332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010
If judges were to keep thinking of reactions that their judgements will evoke, then we can as well declare that politicos are above the law and can not be booked / convicted. Because each one of them can manage to muster truckloads of illiterate goons to create a terror situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand
I think the TN police managed quite OK.
Indeed, they managed quite well. Actually most of the hype on news channels was overblown. On the day of judgement/arrest, I was in the heart of the city from morning till 3:30PM finishing off some pending chores and it was business as usual. There was no sign of anything untoward in Nungambakkam / Aminjikarai / Choolaimedu / Mount Road / Saidapet etc all the way till OMR, which is where I saw some stray incidents of goons forcing close shops / offices etc. Meanwhile, my Dad was calling me every 30mins from Kerala saying that all news channels are showing TN burning and WTH are you doing out ? I was fuelling up the bike at Cathedral Road, when he calls again to say that Anna-Arivalayam (the DMK HQ) has been set on fire, which is on my way home. I briefly think of returning via Beach Road, but still proceed the planned route to see the place locked up with DMK guys inside, but no sign of even smoke. So basically all the channels created a big issue out of nothing, atleast about the situation in Chennai.

IMO the cops could have garnered the praise of the public more, if they had made some more generous use of their lathis. Eg. while returning from the city, I see a motley group of some 10 guys raising slogans at SRP Tools signal. And this resulted in traffic towards TIDEL park being backed up for 750ms or more. At 3PM on a Saturday when this road is mostly empty. Instead you had cars/buses/bikes waiting on the 3 lanes + service road till YMCA and more. All the cops had to do was drive away those lumpen elements who were making life miserable for some 1000 or more folks.
Old 2nd October 2014, 00:32   #2333
Distinguished - BHPian

Off-topic but...

I used to know a left-wing activist lawyer in London, years ago. She was small, Chinese, and full of fire! One day I criticised some judgement that had been in the news and she told me off. She said that she had great respect for judges, that they had a tough job which most did well, and that others should never say their judgements are wrong unless they, too, sat in the courtroom through the whole case.
Old 5th October 2014, 11:58   #2334
Senior - BHPian

Was in Chennai the last couple of days. Had rode down on a KA registered bike when the cops decided to stop me at Adyar. They asked for papers and license which I showed. Next the inspector wanted to know when I came to Chennai and the proof for it or a Noc!
He wanted proof that I reached there just the day before. I didn't have Petrol bills and no toll receipts for obvious reasons.
The annoying part was he wanted me to pay a fine which according to him was 2500, but he reduced to 300. Told him I am not paying him a rupee for which he asked me to collect the license at the court and I said sure.
I knew I had something for a proof but couldn't remember what it was and then it hit me, the welcome texts from the phone operator!
Showed that and he was convinced. As soon as I was leaving they flagged down another group of riders from Bombay, gave one of them the same idea and left.

Last edited by tharian : 5th October 2014 at 12:00.
tharian is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 10:04   #2335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
. I knew I had something for a proof but couldn't remember what it was and then it hit me, the welcome texts from the phone operator!
Showed that and he was convinced. As soon as I was leaving they flagged down another group of riders from Bombay, gave one of them the same idea and left.
What a presence of mind! Kudos!
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 00:33   #2336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Was in Chennai the last couple of days. Had rode down on a KA registered bike when the cops decided to stop me at Adyar. They asked for papers and license which I showed. Next the inspector wanted to know when I came to Chennai and the proof for it or a Noc!
He wanted proof that I reached there just the day before. I didn't have Petrol bills and no toll receipts for obvious reasons.
The annoying part was he wanted me to pay a fine which according to him was 2500, but he reduced to 300. Told him I am not paying him a rupee for which he asked me to collect the license at the court and I said sure.
I knew I had something for a proof but couldn't remember what it was and then it hit me, the welcome texts from the phone operator!

Haha, you had the last laugh! Police have their own tactics to extract money. Agree with Gokrish that your presence of mind has saved you.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 10:26   #2337
BHPian

1. Read this news on TOI this morning....

The area around Greames Road in Nungambakkam is considered a posh locality and commuting on the road should be a smooth affair but regular users of the stretch know better. Littered with potholes and deep pits, travelling on the road is a nightmare, they say. As if this is not bad enough, the newly-laid pavement has been taken over by hawkers, forcing pedestrians on to the middle of the road.

Thousands of people and vehicles, including ambulances and school buses go along the road daily, but its condition hasn't improved. Just before the onset of the northeast monsoon every year, the corporation dutifully fills the potholes and assumes it is a job well done.

But the first spell of heavy rain washes away the filling and things are back to square one. When it rains, the potholes turn into little pools, said the parent of a student of Asan Memorial School that is located along the road which is vital link between Anna Salai and Egmore. "It's the responsibility of pedestrians to find the road in middle of the stagnant pool of water," he added.

"If a road in a prime locality is a mess like this, one can imagine the condition of other stretches," said Vijaya Kumar, who regularly travels on the stretch. "Government agencies dig up roads to lay pipelines and cables but never bother to relay them. Repeated complaints to civic authorities continue to go unheard."

An ambulance driver of Apollo Hospitals said they found it difficult to negotiate the potholes, especially during rush hour. "The road condition has worsened in the past few months but we are forced to take patients through this route. Corporation appears to be playing with the lives of the patients".

Corporation officials said haphazard digging of roads had aggravated the problem. "The issue of illegal road digging has become routine. The life of the road reduces drastically once it is dug up. This is one of the reasons behind the problem of potholes," said an official. He said the road would be repaired after the monsoon.

TNEB workers also dug up the road to lay cables and dumped debris on the footpath.

Reference: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/44657054.cms

2. Read this also today morning in TOI...

Chennai mayor Saidai Samiyappan Duraisamy created a ruckus outside Central Jail at noon on Tuesday when he squabbled with police and abused them for blocking entry.

He was attempting to drive through the barricades in his black Ford Endeavour, when he was stopped by KSRP sleuths and constables manning the barricades erected along the roads leading to the jail, with Section 144 clamped in the area. At their wits' end, they called their seniors for advice.

The seniors' diktat was along expected lines: no vehicle can enter the jail premises, not even the Chennai mayor's. Besides, he would have to park his vehicle in the parking lot, and walk alone to the prison entry. Left with no choice, Duraisamy stepped out of his vehicle, slammed the door, glared at police officials, muttered and walked up to the gate.

"This is our fate; all those who come to visit her throw tantrums, they don't understand that we are lower-rank police officials and are just carrying out orders," policemen posted near the jail told TOI.

The sting, though, was in the tail: Jayalalithaa refused to meet him and Duraiswamy had to walk back. Pollachchi Jayaram, deputy Lok Sabha speaker, arrived around 5pm and also left without meeting her, as Jayalalithaa blocked out all visitors.

Reference: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/44642328.cms

3. Moral of the story: Sheer Irony

Note: Please let me know if my message was not clear

Last edited by gabrielthomas : 8th October 2014 at 10:33.
gabrielthomas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 14:09   #2338
BHPian

This morning's commute from Thiruvanmiyur to West Mambalam

Marundeeswar Temple to Tidel Park Signal - 25 Minutes

Tidel Park Signal to West Mambalam - 25 Minutes.

Will there be any respite in Thiruvanmiyur for the waiting.
Old 20th October 2014, 09:39   #2339
BHPian

The entire stretch of Nelson Manickam Road and Gandhi Mandabam Road at Kotturpuram seem to be in total mess after the rain. Nelson Manickam Road towards Loyala college in particular looks like similar to Mars on photograph taken by Mangalyaan!
Old 20th October 2014, 09:46   #2340
BHPian

Took me 3 hours to reach Central from Guduvancheri. Heavy standstill Traffic at perungalathur and at porur tollgate.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks