Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2014, 23:33   #2161
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I have a very silly question. Why do so many private and taxi cab vehicles have their wheel caps secured using uncut cable ties? It makes no aesthetic sense to me! Can someone please explain? I want to understand whats happening here.
A small correction here - this is not just limited to the cabbies section alone. I see a lot of private cars also plying with these uncut plastic cables. By private cars, I mean not just the <5L category ones - even cars like Scorpio, Hyundai Verna, Corolla etc.,
callvvijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 23:50   #2162
Distinguished - BHPian

It may be Maximum Nuisance Value: they hope to catch people's legs, or injure dogs, with them!
Old 5th May 2014, 08:31   #2163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
A small correction here - this is not just limited to the cabbies section alone. I see a lot of private cars also plying with these uncut plastic cables. By private cars, I mean not just the <5L category ones - even cars like Scorpio, Hyundai Verna, Corolla etc.,
I have seen this mainly in Innovas. May be it is the costliest spare with no (or very less) value and hence the secure
Or some service center is making a side profit by selling these. Original price might be 0.50ps but if it is sold at Rs.10 a piece, one can make huge profits out of it
iamswift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 09:14   #2164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman
I have a very silly question. Why do so many private and taxi cab vehicles have their wheel caps secured using uncut cable ties? It makes no aesthetic sense to me! Can someone please explain?
I believe the wheel-caps tend to fall off the wheels and are secured using cable ties. I think the cable-tie ends are left uncut to enable reuse (in case of a puncture when wheel-cap has to be removed).

Though my own theory falls flat in the case of our A-Star_AT where I fervently wish the ugly contraptions that pass for wheel-caps would roll off into some deep ditch, but no, they remain stuck like glue.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 5th May 2014 at 09:34.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 14:51   #2165
Distinguished - BHPian

All of this sums up my main reasons for alloy wheels!
Old 5th May 2014, 15:32   #2166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I believe the wheel-caps tend to fall off the wheels and are secured using cable ties. I think the cable-tie ends are left uncut to enable reuse (in case of a puncture when wheel-cap has to be removed).

Though my own theory falls flat in the case of our A-Star_AT where I fervently wish the ugly contraptions that pass for wheel-caps would roll off into some deep ditch, but no, they remain stuck like glue.
Some cars have the wheel caps that are inserted into the wheel bolts and the wheel nuts will also hold the caps securely (Hyundai cars).

Most others have caps that just click fit onto the the hub and can fall off easily when contracted due to a wheel hit to something.
Old 11th May 2014, 14:06   #2167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It may be Maximum Nuisance Value: they hope to catch people's legs, or injure dogs, with them!
If someone or something gets that close to the car getting injured by those, you can be rest assured that would be the smallest of the injuries caused by the vehicle in that encounter. Just saying
Old 11th May 2014, 16:33   #2168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
If someone or something gets that close to the car getting injured by those, you can be rest assured that would be the smallest of the injuries caused by the vehicle in that encounter. Just saying
Sure, nobody gets that close. Oh wait... Bikers!

Last edited by moralfibre : 11th May 2014 at 21:43. Reason: Moved posts to appropriate thread
Old 12th May 2014, 14:28   #2169
BHPian

On a lighter note only. Then in that case the cable tie should be made of rusting iron which brings huge protection value. No offence meant whatsoever to whomsoever.
Old 12th May 2014, 15:21   #2170
BHPian

Re: When the barricades proved dangerous

Quote:
We could argue about the cause - biker was speeding or even drunk (too early in the day for it though) etc, but it remains that these obstacles are not only not the solution, but end up being a problem themselves.
The biker standing right in front of your car in the wrong direction explains our jantas road manners. Unless we educate ourselves and follow basic rules, this cannot be solved at all.
Old 14th May 2014, 12:24   #2171
BHPian

Does anybody else feel that all the Metro stations on the 100 ft road are poorly planned, be it the MMDA, Vadapalani or the one near Hilton before the Kathipara junction? The road on both the sides of the building are broader, and looks more like constrictions!! If this is the case, where would the car park and bike parks be planned ? A minimum they would need to have space where people can be dropped off rather than having to stop on the road.
Old 14th May 2014, 12:58   #2172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45
The biker standing right in front of your car in the wrong direction explains our jantas road manners. Unless we educate ourselves and follow basic rules, this cannot be solved at all.
Hmm, don't remember how he landed there. But now that you mention it, my stopping there in the middle of the road however briefly, was also wrong. I should have parked by the side, if at all. Mea culpa !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k;
Does anybody else feel that all the Metro stations on the 100 ft road are poorly planned, be it the MMDA, Vadapalani or the one near Hilton before the Kathipara junction?
Haven't seen the MMDA / Vadapalani stations, but the Hilton Hotel station does look like what you mentioned. That place is now a constriction and height is also reduced.

Talking of Hilton & Metro stations, such a sea of difference in planning/access between our Hilton and the Hilton Shinjuku in Tokyo. The underground Metro station there is just a short walk away and when it rains, you could use the underground route that runs from inside the Hotel to the Metro station. Awesome !!!

BTW, what is with the herd of cattle squatting on the OMR near Infosys campus close to Sholinganallur. They seem to be on the roads any time of the day/night and a potential hazard to road-users.
Old 14th May 2014, 13:17   #2173
BHPian

Quote:
Haven't seen the MMDA / Vadapalani stations, but the Hilton Hotel station does look like what you mentioned. That place is now a constriction and height is also reduced.

Talking of Hilton & Metro stations, such a sea of difference in planning/access between our Hilton and the Hilton Shinjuku in Tokyo. The underground Metro station there is just a short walk away and when it rains, you could use the underground route that runs from inside the Hotel to the Metro station. Awesome !!!

BTW, what is with the herd of cattle squatting on the OMR near Infosys campus close to Sholinganallur. They seem to be on the roads any time of the day/night and a potential hazard to road-users.
The Hilton is the worst, the Vadapalani and MMDA are bad when we travel from Vadapalani to Koyambedu during peak hrs ( 7pm - 9pm). They could have planned all the stations to be located well beyond the roads to factor for future expansions of the road. This now reminds me of the underpasses we see in towns and villages where only vehicles in 1 direction can pass at a given time!!

Probably the Hilton here, plans to give a direct platform access !!

OMR Less said the better. Dont know why is it a toll road, dont know what facilities of toll road exists and to top it as mentioned by you the cattle (and the barricades). They really dont bother of the traffic around them. This is not just in front of Infy, if we cross the tollgate and approach Kelambakkam, you can see some more instances where they are on/near the road.

Its high time the cattle are cleared, subway/over head foot bridges are constructed to enable free flow of traffic. Also all intersections need to be replanned in such a manner that the small ones enter a service lanes, and the big ones have a proper exit and entry which does not disturb the traffic on the road. Else they should stop collecting toll on this road.

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 14th May 2014 at 13:21.
Old 16th May 2014, 12:37   #2174
BHPian

Today morning on way to office got to see a 1lakhwala firecracker display near thai sathya school K.K.nagar. This election results are turning out to be more than a blockbuster. Expect traffic delays due to this.
Old 21st May 2014, 13:05   #2175
BHPian

I have just come back home after a short break in namma madras and am shocked to see the utmost disregard for traffic signals in some of the major junctions. This with a traffic petrol car and a few policemen stationed.

Junctions where I found this was:

1. Coming from Mount Road, turning right towards Venkatnarayana road, T. Nagar - Sunday.
2. 2-3 signals in the OMR - Weekday.
3. Greenways Road junction near Alwarpet - Weekday.

Also found a KPN bus driving very rashly at high speeds (A Volvo, multi axle). on the Chennai - Trichy Highway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks