Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2012, 16:22   #1126
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
Baby on Board , is used when you have a child seat in the rear. Just a warning to vehicles behind to keep distance and avoid rear ending.
What, like people shunt others up the backside as per normal?

(Oh wait... perhaps some people do )

But, if and when they do, it is not going to make any difference what seat the child is in. Same force will be applied by all the seats.
Old 21st May 2012, 08:29   #1127
Senior - BHPian

Sun film fine collection starts from today. Our police force who cant do anything about overspeeding, helmet less.driving or basic nwed to follow rules will go on overdrive to implement removal of films. I am taking my bike from today.
Old 21st May 2012, 11:00   #1128
BHPian

My dad just got fined Rs.100 on Mount Road near the Hindu office for the sun film. :( It's party time for Cops I say!!
Old 21st May 2012, 11:27   #1129
Senior - BHPian

The funny part is that i also read about no non veg for Kasab. And he gets to eat only veg. What a sad story. He gets three meals a day, roofed place to stay and a good nights sleep. He travels in a vehicle far more secure and safe and he did not come in a dark sun film car to attack my country.

How do these cops know if the tint is 60% or 70%.
Old 21st May 2012, 12:06   #1130
BHPian

Saw cops flagging down cars post the Chennai One Toll on the Pallavaram - Thuraipakkam Road. Two cars were stopped and they had pretty dark tints and tints on the front windshield as well. So it seems Chennai police have another revenue generator.
Old 21st May 2012, 16:14   #1131
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teky View Post
Saw cops flagging down cars post the Chennai One Toll on the Pallavaram - Thuraipakkam Road. Two cars were stopped and they had pretty dark tints and tints on the front windshield as well. So it seems Chennai police have another revenue generator.
Revenue generator - Lol!
Having spent many years driving in Chennai, the only positive comment that I have regarding traffic policemen in Chennai - they may be as corrupt as their counterparts in other cities, but Ive always found them to be relatively polite. They bribe you but make you feel good about it by inserting a kind word of advice or even reward you with a salute sometimes

On a more serious note - and Im repeating this from my post in a related thread - I cannot believe that the enforcement machinery across the country has been mobilized for this sun-film initiative when there are far more serious issues related to traffic and road safety that need to be addressed.

It seems as if the only area where our traffic cops are efficient is to set targets for collecting fines and meeting \ exceeding these targets. The may as well put up toll booths across the city to achieve the same effect. There seems to be little (sustained) initiative to improve compliance of traffic rules. And I have noticed time and again that the enforcement officials are consistent poor performers when it comes to following traffic rules, be it stopping at the stop line, lane changing, defensive driving and so on.
Old 21st May 2012, 16:32   #1132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedmisile View Post
My dad just got fined Rs.100 on Mount Road near the Hindu office for the sun film. :( It's party time for Cops I say!!
That must be BRIBE, not a fine, a fine is much more.

Will be watching this thread carefully over the next few days.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 19:09   #1133
Senior - BHPian

^^IIRC for first offence fine is 100rs only.

edit: Yes its 100 only http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...sses-violators

Last edited by Rahulkool : 21st May 2012 at 19:12.
Old 21st May 2012, 20:51   #1134
Senior - BHPian

I enquired about the rates for removing sun films at collector nagar, they are charging 400rs for spark. After seeing the DIY threads here, I said to myself noway I am shelling out 400 bucks.

I went without the car to enquire about the rates, then he was suggesting me a lighter shade sun film, the exact one which was put on my car.
I was under the assumption that all sun films are banned. So what should I do?

Last edited by ecenandu : 21st May 2012 at 20:55.
Old 21st May 2012, 22:29   #1135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
I enquired about the rates for removing sun films at collector nagar, they are charging 400rs for spark. After seeing the DIY threads here, I said to myself noway I am shelling out 400 bucks.

I went without the car to enquire about the rates, then he was suggesting me a lighter shade sun film, the exact one which was put on my car.
I was under the assumption that all sun films are banned. So what should I do?
Supreme Court ruling says all films are banned.

If you already got light films- better wait for a few more days. My friend was caught today with 3M sunfilms (50 % VLT) and was let go without any fine. Cops were looking specifically for darker shades.

I had less than 20% VLT, hence got my film removed last saturday.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:04   #1136
Senior - BHPian

Stay on the right lane when you cross Perungalathur. I am sure everyone has plans to get the sun film removed over the weekend or so and are driving with sun film currently.

Cops are catching hold of mostly IT guys near Perungalathur while many have escaped the fines driving in the right side.

Just an FYI to avoid fines for people who are planning to remove the films over the weekend.
Old 25th May 2012, 07:59   #1137
BHPian

Life in Chennai is becoming worse day by day. Common Man's daily problem.

1. Petrol is costlier, should one opt for diesel car ? Sorry , there is No Diesel in the city. Traffic in the streets was very less yesterday. Think it was a combination of the above factors.
2. Auto fares are worse. For what ever reason no one is able to implement the meter system. People are held ranson to these goonda's.
2. Power Shortage is another crucial problem. Every day there is a minimum of 2 hour power cut. Suburbs and other TN cities are worse.
Power voltage is mostly low, you will have to sweat out in the nights with out ACs.
4. Not to mention about the ever existing water problem.

Though I am a native of Chennai, it makes me think, what is good in this city for one to live a happy life?
Marlon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 09:16   #1138
BHPian

@Marlon - costlier petrol,power shortage, water problems, increased auto fares will all continue further and also there will be increased diesel price, increased food/grocery cost etc. To add a further downer - folks (like me) working in a company will never get pay hikes to match all these rising living expenses :-(.

Solutions will be only to move to human powered means of transport/public/company transport and to start using solar power for cooking and powering fans etc. Conservation of what is there and their optimal use will mean a lot more than they do now !
sjcherian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2012, 06:48   #1139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
To add a further downer - folks (like me) working in a company will never get pay hikes to match all these rising living expenses :-(.
How does a bigger city like Mumbai manage these resources.I have spent close to 4 years of my corporate life in Mumbai. In these years I witnessed only 2 power cuts of 5 mins each,No voltage problem, water is at its best, autos run on meter, etc

OT-We are all sailing in the same boat. Your company might not have given hikes this year, my company hikes are always in single digits and way below the inflation figures.Switching jobs may provide some relief.
Old 26th May 2012, 06:56   #1140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
How does a bigger city like Mumbai manage these resources.I have spent close to 4 years of my corporate life in Mumbai. In these years I witnessed only 2 power cuts of 5 mins each,No voltage problem, water is at its best, autos run on meter, etc
Mumbai is run by Corporates, especially the big ones. The revenues of Mumbai help it run the city smoothly at least in the basic necessities!
headers is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks