Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2010, 15:56   #1
BHPian

The day the earth stood still

Hi Guys,

Yesterday, 30th Jan 10 was the day everything came to a standstill for me. In 13 yrs of driving experience, I have never been in an situation like this. Well, that's why they call it "Accident". This is a rebirth to me and it has been engraved in my memory forever.

I started from Bangalore at 1PM to meet my wife and daughter (6 months). I had packed cradle for my daughter and was so excited to meet her since it was a week that I had left them in Mysore at my in-laws place.

Since the new idea of 94.3FM to play no repeated songs, i've been glued to the channel which plays a mix of old & new songs. So I started and was enjoying my driving with music, cruising not over 80 on outskirts and maintaining 40-50 in towns.

After crossing Mandya, I was at a speed or 60-80 when a bus in front of me came to the left suddenly.. I braked and maintained the speed of 60-80 and at a distance of 12-15 feet from the bus and then ...

Everythig happened lighting fast... As I write this my hands are in a shiver recalling the incident.. The bus pulled to the right in front of a truck parallel to me and it missed a bullock cart by mere 2 inches which was standing 1/4th on the highway and 3/4th on the gravel at 15 deg angle.
There I was , going towards the bullock cart straight, it took a sec that's all for the next set of events ....

The sequence as it happened,,,,

I see myself heading for the bullock cart head on

My foot has jammed the brakes to realize it wont help me from crashing into the cart

Turned steering to full right

Left side of the car smashed into the cart which went up a few feet
the car spins around 180 deg and crashes into the cart again.. this time the rightside rear part

The car spins one more time 360 deg and sits on gravel facing the highway...

The left seat has the dashboard parts ans glass strewn on it

I check myself and find no scratches or bruises thanks to the seatbelt

Coming out of the car was like the hollywood movie sequence, struggling to get out of seat belt and i stand to look at the cart and it's inmates... the cart has fallen on the left side.. no one's hurt.. all the while it's like i am watching a movie..
Attached Thumbnails
The day the earth stood still-30012010147.jpg  

The day the earth stood still-30012010148.jpg  

The day the earth stood still-30012010149.jpg  

The day the earth stood still-30012010150.jpg  

Last edited by inder_s1 : 31st January 2010 at 16:08.
Old 31st January 2010, 16:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hope you are safe. What happened to the car? As always, seat belt saves the day
Old 31st January 2010, 16:20   #3
BHPian

While I was still trying to figure out what's happening...5 persons came from nowhere and starting hurling punches from all the directions..

I defended myself to an exent and pushed them away as they were trying to push me towards the field..

Having my sunglasses in smitherins, and bleeding at forearm.. I gathered everything from the car and put it a little further than the car.. still in a state of shock called my friend from Mandya and my FIL from Mysore.

2 guys on highway had stopped and seen the attack on me from the 5 people , they intervened and told me to go to the other side of the road,,

By this time, police had been informed and my friend arrived at the spot..seeing so many villagers ready to kill , he took me and one of the cart fellows in his car to Mandya. I left my luggage at his place and took the cart guy who was acting as if he is hurt to extort money to a government hospital.

In a short while we were 2 against 50 villagers and we soon called in some help in form of my firend's BIL and his friend. Took all x-rays and scan for the cart guy and he was declared as clear of any injury but they decide to keep him in hospital for a few days.

My friend and his BIL negotiaed and came down to 15K + getting them amount for their cart repair from insurance.

My colleague came in from Bangalore and is helping me complete the release of the vehicle...Let's hope the rest of the proceedings go smooth...

Police towed the vehicle and it's at police station as of now.

Present:

Have to get the vehicle released from police station and file a FIR on Monday and go ahead with the proceeedings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Hope you are safe. What happened to the car? As always, seat belt saves the day
Hi Sachin,

Just a few bruises and pain in left hand, neck and back.. I really thank God that no one was hurt badly.. Seatbelts definitely saved me.

Last edited by Dippy : 1st February 2010 at 14:31. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use the edit function if posting within 20 minutes of your earlier post.
Old 31st January 2010, 16:37   #4
BHPian

That's a bad one, Inder. Monsters (Buses) rule our roads, unfortunately. Was it a ST bus or private?? Wish you a speedy recovery. Take care Friend, Drive safe.

Last edited by mnhegde : 31st January 2010 at 16:38.
Old 31st January 2010, 16:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that you came out safe.

That cart fellow, apart from causing the accident, now gets compensation! When will sense prevail!
Old 31st January 2010, 16:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

That is bloody crazy. I'm just happy that you are fine! The car has decent bit of damage - should be repaired in a week tops!!

Those local goons could've hurt you/the car much more. Good that you are now okay!
Old 31st January 2010, 16:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that you are safe. This really is the problem in India - instead of providing medical attention to the injured, starts the bullying and ransoming after the accident.

No wonder why people run away from accident scenes.
Old 31st January 2010, 16:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Good to know that you are safe. This really is the problem in India - instead of providing medical attention to the injured, starts the bullying and ransoming after the accident.

No wonder why people run away from accident scenes.
+1. And bigger the vehicle/ more expensive you drive, the extortion money increases in exponential power. You drive a premium car, you pay a premium 'compensation'
Old 31st January 2010, 21:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

That is horrible mate! Glad you came out scratchless. Take care.
Old 31st January 2010, 21:44   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Inder, that's very shocking. Really glad to know that you are safe and no one is seriously injured. Don't worry about the damages to the car and just concentrate of getting the car back to bangalore.

Good that you called in your friend & FIL to help you out.
Old 31st January 2010, 21:50   #11
Team-BHP Support

That's looks like a close shave. Great to know you're OK.
Don't worry, your Swift should be back in shape. Looks like no structural damage there.
Old 31st January 2010, 22:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

inder I drive almost every other weekend to mysore and this is the only stretch between mandya and mysore that I am extra cautious. You don't stand a chance with the villagers and the locals there even if they are at fault. I once quite recently had a near miss with a cart laden with sugarcane. Obviously I dint want to face the wrath of the localites, simply shrugged the whole fiasco and drove off.

Glad to know that you are safe without any major injuries. The swift can be repaired and I would say definitely thank your stars.
Old 1st February 2010, 08:01   #13
BHPian

That's quite a crash and luckily you came out with no serious injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
I braked and maintained the speed of 60-80 and at a distance of 12-15 feet from the bus and then ...

My foot has jammed the brakes to realize it wont help me from crashing into the cart
No offence, but isn't that quite close tailgating at that speeds. Such close trailing a bus must have blocked/narrow your vision to see the road ahead. At close distances there's no much time/road for coming to a complete halt in emergencies.

On our roads where the traffic flow is unexpected, better to keep to safe distances so that the driver can look ahead further and be prepared.
Old 1st February 2010, 08:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Wish you a speedy recovery my friend & thanks for sharing this incident. Sometimes I think if we're at the giving end on the accident, we can get away by paying a fine in the court, but in your case, you're neither at the giving end nor the receiving end. Who's to be blamed? The cart which was not supposed to be on the highway? Or the moron bus driver? Or the lorry driver who did not signal that its not the time to overtake? I'm sorry for you that, not only, you need to manage the court case but also had to manage the bulliers. Thank your good car & your stars for saving your life.

PS - What happens if we pretend to lose conscious even if we're left scratchless in an accident or pretend to be half state of mind due to the nervousness of the accident although we aren't? Will this help us from the bullying villagers?
Old 1st February 2010, 08:37   #15
BHPian

Hope you have recovered from the shock. What happened to the cradle which you bought for your daughter? Could you deliver to her. Such a sad incident.
In rural areas the biggest vehicle is penalised for all accidents irrespective of who's fault it is.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks