Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2010, 20:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Truck bumped into my car and ran away!

I was waiting at Medavakkam junction signal, there was a WagonR in front of me and a two-wheeler on my left. There was a small space between my car and the divider, on the right side. All vehicles were waiting for the signal.

Then one truck started moving from behind me, and he tried to overtake me in that small space. . I was not sure if that space was enough for the truck. Before i knew it, a loud "thud" and he was off, jumping the signal. Before I could note down the number, a Santro and two 2-wheelers were right behind him and stopped just in front of me, completely blocking the view. By now that truck was off, nowhere to be seen.

After crossing the signal I stopped the car to examine the damage. Pics attached.

Is there any lesson I should learn from this?

Also, any idea how much this would cost me to repair?
Attached Thumbnails
Truck bumped into my car and ran away!-bump1.jpg  

Truck bumped into my car and ran away!-bump2.jpg  

Last edited by rajushank84 : 12th March 2010 at 21:00. Reason: Noticed that the whole article is in past tense, so I should say " tried to overtake" and not "tries to overtake"
Old 12th March 2010, 21:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

No point breaking your head now. Claim insurance.

Lesson to be learnt: Move on.
Old 12th March 2010, 21:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

That is a bad gash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
...Is there any lesson I should learn from this? ...
It is easy to comment in hindsight

"When stopping at a signal, either stop at the right-most lane (if there is no right turn, and you are going straight) OR leave one clear lane at the right. So a full-size vehicle (bus/lorry/truck) should be able to go thru by your right."
Old 12th March 2010, 21:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
T
"When stopping at a signal, either stop at the right-most lane (if there is no right turn, and you are going straight) OR leave one clear lane at the right. So a full-size vehicle (bus/lorry/truck) should be able to go thru by your right."
Similarly when you are on the left side of the road in a signal. Leave enough place for a two wheeler to go or else be close to the footpath.
Old 12th March 2010, 21:20   #5
BHPian

Very sorry to hear about your incident. What time did this happen exactly. I travel to work daily through the same junction.

It is actually very difficult to exactly occupy a lane when the signal is approaching red. With all the hasty morons trying to pass before it turns red from all your sides, it is not easy to hold on to a lane.

I don't think there are any lessons to be learnt. Unfortunately, you have been very unfortunate :(
Old 12th March 2010, 21:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ouch!! Seems to be a deep gash! It hurts to see your ride all messed up.

But totally agree with Bluethunder and Arun on the lesson learnt.

Take care and drive safe!!
Old 12th March 2010, 21:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
..."When stopping at a signal, either stop at the right-most lane (if there is no right turn, and you are going straight) OR leave one clear lane at the right. So a full-size vehicle (bus/lorry/truck) should be able to go thru by your right."
+1 to the above.
Old 12th March 2010, 21:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

When i am on the Left Most Lane in my car, I go close enough to a Footpath so that 2 Wheelers cannot pass my left. This is not for preventing Two-Wheelers getting ahead of me, but for the simple reason - If there is no place, they do not have the courtesy to wait, instaed they hit the Left rear view mirror / bumper and keep moving instead of even apologizing. If one two wheeler does this -> like one monkey follows the other, all two wheelers use that gap, hitting the mirror / car. It is we Car owner Who have to face the aftereffects (service, replacement, etc).

I also stop quite close to the bumber of the other car, so that 2W dont brush past the bumper or scratching the car.

FYI I own a Santro Xing
Old 12th March 2010, 21:28   #9
p$p

Sad incident. The truck driver thought he would be able to manage through the gap. Had you left no/less space between your car & the divider, he would have obviously not ventured. Second, on seeing that he was trying to push through the gap, you could have immediately asked him not to do so - or could have even opened the door & got down for the purpose. These are the 2 things occur to me that may have prevented the untoward incident.

I'm not sure about the cost of repairs but denting/painting & labour will be reimbursed 100% by the insurance provider. You will have to bear compulsory/claim charges (excess amount) of Rs.500/-. Replacement of parts etc., if any, will attract depreciation on the cost based on the age of the car.
Old 12th March 2010, 21:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Reparing will cost you around 6000/- at authorized Tata Service station. Claim insurance and you will end up paying 1000-1500 gtom your Pocket.

They will remove the dent from the fender and repaint the same.
Old 12th March 2010, 21:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

On a rainy day one moron in Pulsar comes & hits me in the rear bumper at Guindy bridge; when confronted, he says "sorry saar, mazhaila brake adichcha vandi nikkala" (Sorry Sir, due to rain, brakes don't work properly) when this occurred it was midday around 01:00 PM, non peak hours;

Another day, I was on my two wheeler, when the 1st signal after Vijayanagar busstand in Velachery in 100 feet road shows about 30 second to Green; When I promptly stopped a moron, again in Pulsar (that's why I hate Pulsar & Bajaj products), comes & bangs me breaking of my rear indicators; this time the reason was "Sorry saar, signala gavanikkala, brake adichcha vandi nikkala" (Sorry Sir, didn't notice the signal & when applied brakes the vehicle could not be stopped)

Forget the first incident atleast we were moving, in the second incident, I was on the left most side of the middle lane.

Sorry to hear rajushank, I too feel that there's nothing to learn from here; Morons who drive crazy & jump off signals are everywhere; no matter you leave way for them, they should know how to drive; even if they know how to drive, there're other jokers on the road who would block him & again you or the other joker will be on the receiving end; I would attribute this to a bad luck; go ahead & claim insurance;

If you give it to a non A.S.S, he'll fix that portion alone & will charge less; but the problem is, all except that painted area all other portion will look bright. If you give it to A.S.S, then they will charge you more & get you painted on the entire side of the car making the look even; atleast this is the procedure in Maruti that I'm sure. Incase you go to A.S.S & ask for tinkering, ask them the procedure completely & then give them the car. Hope you got the point.
Old 12th March 2010, 21:43   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Is there any lesson I should learn from this?

Also, any idea how much this would cost me to repair?

Thats gonna hurt my friend. Sorry to see your ride being damaged badly. The gash is too big so go for an insurance claim. When you park in a signal be aware of the surrounding. generally all of us take it easy in the signals. I on the other hand always keep an eye of the ORVMs and RVM now and then. This will help you identify potential moran who wants to create arts on your car.

Last edited by ElantraGT : 12th March 2010 at 21:47.
Old 12th March 2010, 21:58   #13
BHPian

Bad incident, but this happens in India. Move on.
I think denting,painting should be done in 3K or may be less than that.
Go for a local mechanic, nothing big to fix here.
Old 12th March 2010, 22:00   #14
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
"sorry saar, mazhaila brake adichcha vandi nikkala" (Sorry Sir, due to rain, brakes don't work properly);

"Sorry saar, signala gavanikkala, brake adichcha vandi nikkala" (Sorry Sir, didn't notice the signal & when applied brakes the vehicle could not be stopped)
Aargee. You should have given both those moron's tight slaps and said "sorry saar, kaduppula kaiya veesinen. Kadasila nirutha mudiyalai (Sorry sir, I waved out of frustration, but couldn't stop my hands in the end).

Raju Shank. Sorry to hear this. Sometimes you just have to move on. Just last week you were in Yelagiri. So let this small thing not change your mood. Keep up the spirit and get your car redone. Looking at the pics I'd say it might leave you dearer by 3K or so.
Old 12th March 2010, 22:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

I guess you are lucky.

The lorry guy did not scratch the whole one side of your car.!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks