Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2010, 17:36   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I'm flattered to read the rest of your story and keeping me as inspiration for remaining cool.
Not a flattery MX6, its for true because you see keeping cool for 5000 odd Kms is something I doubt if I can do it. So far I've kept myself cool only for about 700 odd Kms; I'm not sure, if I can keep it further. If I don't learn now, I can't learn anytime later. Like you, there're few more people in this forum & I'll let them know during appropriate time. Apologies for the
Old 6th April 2010, 14:53   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sli_ce View Post
Believe it or not, I've experienced this once on a TREADMILL! where the guy on the treadmill next to me tried to match my speed at every point, and all the while kept running faster than me, occasionally giving me a stare as if to prove "hey look, i can run faster than you".
Hahahaha..I've done that a few times (minus the stares of course)! Not for any other reason, but to see how long I can last trying to keep up with the guy next to me. More often than not, I have hang on for dear life and slow it down before I go flying off the treadmill!
Old 6th April 2010, 15:17   #63
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
Hahahaha..I've done that a few times (minus the stares of course)! Not for any other reason, but to see how long I can last trying to keep up with the guy next to me. More often than not, I have hang on for dear life and slow it down before I go flying off the treadmill!
Yeah, I had that level of child ego when I was 16 years old. We were running a marathon in school. After runnin 16 - 17 kms I was in the last leg, entering my school stadium.
This pretty lass comes running from behind and overtake me.
I'm startled seeing a girl younger than me running faster. So the contest was set and I wanted to race her.
I tried running faster. However vigorous I moved my legs, I found that the ground under me doesn't go behind any quicker. She left me behind by a huge distance and finished the race.
The saving grace was that girls had a 7 km stretch. But I felt like a big idiot trying to race a girl, who wasn't even in our category, just to show I'm quicker.
At 16, you don't want women to end better than you
Old 6th April 2010, 15:30   #64
Senior - BHPian

A different way of overtaking. This happened on NH17. Typical Kerala 2 lane highway without dividers.

I am trailing a transport bus at low speed for some KMs. I request for overtaking and get permission from the bus driver. I move to right, start to overtake only to realise a distant oncoming vehicle. At that speed, I calculate that I have no way to overtake safely. I give up and start coming to my left.

To my horror, I see a black Swift sneaking into the gap on my left that I was vacating. I almost banged on to this fellow.

First reaction was of relief that I did not hit the Swift. I have no option but to move behind the Swift.

Blood is boiling. Desperately wanting to teach a lesson to that moron. But the traffic is not allowing me to overtake him. Gameplan is to overtake him and then slow down without allowing him to overtake.

Couple of minutes of trailing and I realize I have 500+ KMs to travel before I reach my destination. Why should I spoil the fun of my drive by getting into an altercation with this guy? Conversation with family helped in cooling down.
Old 6th April 2010, 15:35   #65
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
To my horror, I see a black Swift sneaking into the gap on my left that I was vacating. I almost banged on to this fellow.
Initially it was Indicab guys who were notorious. Guess, it's the era of swift drivers now. Make a powerful car small enough to squeeze in to any gap, drivers start behaving erratic.

Gone are the good old days of ambassador where one needed to turn the steering 1440 degrees to take a left turn and stand on the gas pedal and wait for 10 seconds to move from 35 to 40.
Old 6th April 2010, 21:07   #66
BHPian

my thoughts:
Whenever i see a headlight too close in my RVM, i just move to the next slower lane and allow him to pass.
Old 6th April 2010, 21:40   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post

This is typical urban driver mentality that people use to tackle traffic in our forever jammed cities. See a gap = try to squeeze into it.

Unfortunately they don't realise is that what works at crawling speeds on city roads could lead to huge accidents on highways.

I've seen this happen a few times and even once when my friend was driving and tried to do the squeezing bit when it was apparent that the tempo ahead had misjudged overtaking distance of the lorry ahead and needed to come back in.
In the front passenger seat I had my heart in my mouth and shouted BRAKE!!! to my friend who stamped on it. Fortunately there were no vehicles immediately behind us and the tempo could tuck in averting a sureshot accident.
After that, I gave my friend an earful on highway driving
Old 7th April 2010, 13:04   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
This is typical urban driver mentality that people use to tackle traffic in our forever jammed cities. See a gap = try to squeeze into it.

Unfortunately they don't realise is that what works at crawling speeds on city roads could lead to huge accidents on highways.
Wow, you guessed it correctly. That black Swift was Bangalore registration. I met him Ernakulam.

I was coming to Bangalore. I noticed the registration number immediately after the incident and thought I have company till Bangalore. I would have my chance to get even. But later he took a detour off the highway.

In a way he going away was good. It is so hard not to think about his behavior when he is driving in front of you.
Old 7th April 2010, 17:01   #69
Senior - BHPian

Have seen the pvt bus drivers acting like maniacs if they are overtaken, few years back on our way to Krishnagiri. we were on bikes(3) and the moment we overtook couple of buses these guys started rashly it was almost like chasing us! finallay we just gave them the way..
Old 7th April 2010, 17:44   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I get overtaken fairly regularly. sometimes even by bikes.
even by bikes=?

any 150cc+ motorcycle can cruise comfortably at ~90kmph+(good roads/less traffic)
Old 7th April 2010, 19:46   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
even by bikes=?

any 150cc+ motorcycle can cruise comfortably at ~90kmph+(good roads/less traffic)
Exactly!!!! Bikes ofcourse are meant to overtake each and every thing on the road. Atleast, that's what happens in Bengaluru...
Old 7th April 2010, 22:45   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
even by bikes=?

Ha ha, yes, even by bikes. What I meant has nothing to do with the capability of bikes! Even my Splendor can maintain 70 KPH on highways!

What I meant was it leaves me absolutely unmoved. Even a Scooty is welcome to pass me if it can do 90 + KPH!
Old 23rd April 2010, 16:47   #73

I find that whenever we travel on the highway in our merc mostly no body tries to race us after we have overtaken them and most people give way before even honking or flashing the lights.Only once or twice I had someone trying to race.
It happened on MUMBAI-PUNE expressway , we were coming from MUMBAI to GOA I was driving and we were doing about 170 kph and overtook a white AUDI A4 as he was doing about 130 - 140 kph after sometime I saw someone flash lights in my rvm and was really surprised as that time we were doing almost 180 kph but I Immediately moved to the left to give him way . it was same AUDI A4 AND HE MUST HAVE BEEB DOING 200 KPH.But i reduced my speed and did not try to catch him.
apart from this and couple other incidences the merc badge guarantees no road racing.
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:28   #74
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah1735 View Post
I was driving and we were doing about 170 kph

that time we were doing almost 180 kph

HE MUST HAVE BEEB DOING 200 KPH.
Boy. Mercs, Audis, 170s, 200s. Are you sure you are narrating mumbai - goa incident?
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:37   #75
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah1735 View Post
It happened on MUMBAI-PUNE expressway , we were coming from MUMBAI to GOA I was driving and we were doing about 170 kph and overtook a white AUDI A4 as he was doing about 130 - 140 kph after sometime I saw someone flash lights in my rvm and was really surprised as that time we were doing almost 180 kph but I Immediately moved to the left to give him way .
170??
I remember I did 150 once and boy, I had no time to even see the RVM.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks