Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2010, 17:48   #121
MX6
Senior - BHPian

You got the booster seat pics here gansan. Guess it's time you move him to the rear.
Children till 13 - 14 are better off in rear seats atleast on highway drives.
Sorry for the OT below.
I remember an accident in our school bus ages back. Ofcourse school buses don't have seat belts. It wasn't anything serious. A colllision between school bus and a ptc (the famed pallavan transport corporation) in the year 1987 or 88 may be.
No one was injured. The windscreens of both the buses were smashed. We had the students in front seats suffering minor scratches.
Then I realised one of my close friends by the name Harivikram missing.
He walked down from the PTC bus after a couple of minutes completely scratchless! He managed to fly from our bus in to the city bus through the shattered windscreen! Till now we couldn't figure how he did that without a scratch on his body.
Old 22nd June 2010, 19:09   #122
BHPian

Interesting thread & very relevant to TBHP
Immediately reminds me of the FFE misunderstanding thread.

Have had numerous instances of this within city limits & also on the now open sea-link.
The problem is, forget overtaking, just the sound of a ffe gets morons all excited. Forget when your enjoying your ffe in the night (keeping safety in mind ofcourse), even in regular driving people enjoy trying to race or overtake you & feel "Bah, i showed him! Took him on in a stock car & left him in the dust"

Being & looking young doesnt help either as even if you are driving responsibly & someone older acts like a fool, people around you tend to blame "these young & rash drivers in modded cars"

On the other side of the coin (and i mean the true side), apart from young rowdies (who you can easily spot), its the mature drivers who ive noticed indulge in such things. Heck, have seen so many times, just because of a slight sound (not revving, but regular driving with an ffe), all types of cars engage in the "Im faster than you, twerp" syndrome.

As mentioned by majority in this thread. I follow one rule in my head:

Please go ahead and feel good about your driving & your car, ive modified my car not for racing, but to fuel a passion. On a racetrack, yes, i would accept your foolhardy behaviour, but on the streets, i think the apt line is "Real power doesnt need to be shown, it can be understood by observing the sensibilty that prevails"

Last edited by Xehaust : 22nd June 2010 at 19:10.
Old 23rd June 2010, 14:19   #123
GTO
Team-BHP Support

@ Xehaust : Enjoyed reading your post. Know why Sanjay Dutt let go of his Harley? Because he couldn't ever enjoy a ride, without having all the RX100s trying to race him

Quote:
“The Harley was a dream for me. It’s a 1600cc cruiser but riding it here is a problem because of the road conditions and also the guys on 100cc bikes who want to race with you. Since it’s a waste in Mumbai, I have sent it to a friend in Delhi.”
Interview Linky
Old 23rd June 2010, 15:36   #124
BHPian

I had a really bad experience when I was driving down to harihareshwar in my civic recently. The road was a 2 lane highway, one lane going to mumbai and the other coming from mumbai. There was no divider in the middle, and to overtake you had to go onto the other side of road, make sure there was no oncoming traffic, overtake, and then get back to your side.

There was this tavera who was going at about 80. I overtook him and went back onto my side, but he started accelerating big and driving right behind my trunk. He didnt really get a chance to overtake me, because I was ahead of him, and the moment there was no oncoming traffic, i would go onto that side of the road and overtake the truck ahead of me. So both of us were overtaking a lot of trucks and cars, but he could not manage to overtake me as I was ahead of him and would get the chance to go onto the other side before him. I think that was really frustrating him.
What happened next was really scary and I hope that @$%@#$% is never allowed to drive again. I was held up behind a truck on my side of the road. I moved out to the other side of the road, but there was a truck on the other side.. and even though it was quite far away, I decided against overtaking then, and was going back again (left, to my side of the road). At this point, I see the tavera guy has accelerated and taken my spot behind the truck. I was on the other side of the road, and there was an oncoming truck right in front of me. I tried to move left but the tavera wouldnt budge. I couldnt really brake because the car behind the tavera had also come on the other side of the road and was right behind me now. It moved off behind the tavera. the oncoming truck was now close and i had to get off that side of the road. I then saw the tavera guy and yelled at him (inside my AC car)
I was furious.. i just swerved my car back onto the road. I figured if i was to have an accident i would rather have it sideways with a tavera than head on with a truck. The tavera guy saw me swerve and swerved his car to prevent an accident and went a bit off the road and then finally braked.Why he didnt brake earlier and let me in I dont understand. I let the guy go ahead and decided that I'd rather go home at 20kmph than to go home with idiots like this driving.
Old 23rd June 2010, 15:56   #125
Senior - BHPian

Reading couple of pages through, it reminds me on new ALTO ad, where the guy takes his would-be on aan Alto ride "LET'S GO". A poor Lancer cuts them down. The cute girls rolls her eyes, Our hero steps on gas & z--o-o-o-m they are ahead of Lancer. To make matters worse the cute girl makes faces towards the Lancer during overtaking. Nice message eeh.
"Let's Go".. but where my sweetheart!?!?!

Last edited by ariesonu : 23rd June 2010 at 15:58.
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:14   #126
BHPian

@holysmoke - What you can do to avoid such situations:

1. Keep at least 1 to 1 1/2 car lengths away from the vehicle in front of you. When you want to overtake, move just very slightly out (onto the other side of the road). Ensure 3/4 of your car is still behind the vehicle in front of you. Doing so gives you sufficient visibility on coming traffic. If doing so does not give you complete visibility, abort the move. Even the slightest bend where you know you don't have full visibility, always abort the overtaking.

2. Use indicators along with hand gestures if necessary. I have noticed over the many years of driving that most people become very cooperative if you wave them a hand along with your car indicators. In the US, it is common to drive in a group of 2 or more cars, each car taking the lead for say 100 odd km. and the rest following the leader. This makes one person focus on the job for that period of time rather that everyone doing so. And this is all done with no earlier communication or even knowing who the other person is.

Camaraderie on our roads is not easy to buy, but I think we are getting much better at it. Drive Safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post

What happened next was really scary and I hope that @$%@#$% is never allowed to drive again. I was held up behind a truck on my side of the road. I moved out to the other side of the road, but there was a truck on the other side.. and even though it was quite far away, I decided against overtaking then, and was going back again (left, to my side of the road). At this point, I see the tavera guy has accelerated and taken my spot behind the truck. I was on the other side of the road, and there was an oncoming truck right in front of me. I tried to move left but the tavera wouldnt budge. I couldnt really brake because the car behind the tavera had also come on the other side of the road and was right behind me now. It moved off behind the tavera. the oncoming truck was now close and i had to get off that side of the road. I then saw the tavera guy and yelled at him (inside my AC car)
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:04   #127
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Reading couple of pages through, it reminds me on new ALTO ad, where the guy takes his would-be on aan Alto ride "LET'S GO". A poor Lancer cuts them down. The cute girls rolls her eyes, Our hero steps on gas & z--o-o-o-m they are ahead of Lancer. To make matters worse the cute girl makes faces towards the Lancer during overtaking. Nice message eeh.
"Let's Go".. but where my sweetheart!?!?!
Very true Sonu, just one more ad which encourages careless road behaviour. I never noticed it from this angle, but I guess you, being surveyor, actually survey things...
Old 23rd June 2010, 18:46   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
@ Xehaust : Enjoyed reading your post. Know why Sanjay Dutt let go of his Harley? Because he couldn't ever enjoy a ride, without having all the RX100s trying to race him
Interview Linky
Thanks GTO.
And Rx100's racing him
Id rather have kept the Harley for entertainment purposes. Whenever in need of some cheering up, take out the Harley & see people around you become monkeys on hot bricks
Old 1st July 2010, 17:08   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
After this Wifey & me went on argument as I'm racing,
What's with the Eve's they seem to look for a chance to yell "you are racing" even if you are keeping a steady speed and the morons around you altering their speed giving a illusion that you are trying to race them but they are beating you to it .

Anyways we are in a land of kings and Nawabs and Emperor's
Here's an article, no doubt controversial, but summarises most of our irrational behaviour. No offence meant to anyone and above all I am Indian who is susceptible to these nuances. And please read this in the contect and spirit in which this is shared

[FONT=Verdana]Some characteristics unite Indians. The most visible is our opportunism

Why dont we worship Brahma? We know he's part of the Hindu trinity as the creator, but we worship Vishnu, manager of the cosmos, and Shiva, its eventual destroyer. The answer lies not in religion, but in culture. But in what way does our religion shape our culture?

An interesting thing to know is this: Has our culture shaped our faith or has our faith shaped our culture? I cannot say. To return to the question we started with: Why is Brahma not worshipped? The answer is obvious: He has nothing to offer us. What he could do for us, create the universe, he already has. There is no gain in petitioning him now.

What explains the behaviour of Indians? What explains the anarchy of our cities? To find out, we must ask how our behaviour is different.

One good way to judge a society is to see it in motion. On the road, we observe the opportunism in the behaviour of the Indian driver. Where traffic halts on one side of the road in India, motorists will encroach the oncoming side because there is space available there. If that leads to both sides being blocked, that is fine, as long as we maintain our advantage over people behind us or next to us. This is because the other man cannot be trusted to stay in his place.

The Indian's instinct is to jump the traffic light if he is convinced that the signal is not policed. If he gets flagged down by the police, his instinct is to bolt. In an accident, his instinct is to flee. Fatal motoring cases in India are a grim record of how the driver ran over people and drove away.

We show the pattern of what is called a Hobbesian society: one in which there is low trust between people. This instinct of me-versus-the- world leads to irrational behaviour, demonstrated when Indians board flights. We form a mob at the entrance, and as the flight is announced, scramble for the plane even though all tickets are numbered. Airlines modify their boarding announcements for Indians taking international flights.

Our opportunism necessarily means that we do not understand collective good. Indians will litter if they are not policed. Someone else will always pick up the rubbish we throw. Thailand's toilets are used by as many people as India's toilets are, but they are likely to be not just clean but spotless. This is because thats how the users leave them, not the cleaners.

The Indians reluctance to embrace collective good hurts his state. A study of income-tax compliance between 1965 and 1993 in India (Elsevier Science/Das- Gupta, Lahiri and Mookherjee) concluded that declining assessment intensity had a significant negative effect on compliance, while traditional enforcement tools (searches, penalties and prosecution activity) had only a limited effect on Indians. The authors puzzled over the fact that India income tax performance (was) below the average of countries with similar GDP per capita

We do not think stealing from the state is a bad thing, and our ambiguity extends to corruption, which also we do not view in absolute terms. Political parties in India understand this and corruption is not an issue in Indian politics. Politicians who are demonstrably corrupt, recorded on camera taking a bribe or saying appalling things, or convicted by a court, can hold legitimate hope of a comeback unthinkable in the West.

The opportunist is necessarily good at adapting, and that explains the success of Indians abroad. We can follow someone elses rules well, even if we cant enforce them at home ourselves. The Indian in the US is peerless at the Spelling Bee because the formula of committing things to memory, which in India passes for knowledge, comes naturally to him. But this talent for adapting and memorizing is not the same as a talent for creation.

The question is: Why are we opportunists?

In his great work Crowds and Power, Elias Canetti observed that the rewards religions promised their faithful were all far off, in the afterlife. This is because a short goal would demand demonstration from god and create sceptics instead of believers. There is an exception to this in Hinduism. Hinduism is not about the other world. There is no afterlife in Hinduism and rebirth is always on earth. The goal is to be released entirely and our death rites and beliefs -- funeral in Kashi -- seek freedom from rebirth.

Christianity and Islam are about how to enter heaven; Hinduism is about how not to return to earth, because its a rotten place. Naipaul opens his finest novel with the words "The world is what it is", and Wittgenstein "The world is all that is the case" opens his Tractatus similarly.

Hinduism recognizes that the world is irredeemable: It is what it is. Perhaps this is where the Hindu gets his world view -- which is zero-sum -- from. We might say that he takes the pessimistic view of society and of his fellow man. But why?

The Hindu devotee's relationship with god is transactional: I give you this, you give me that. God must be petitioned and placated to swing the universe's blessings towards you. God gives you something not through the miracle, and this is what makes Hinduism different, but by swinging that something away from someone else. This is the primary lesson of the Vedic fire sacrifice. There is no benefit to one without loss to another. Religion is about bending god's influence towards you through pleas, and appeasement, through offerings.

Society has no role in your advancement and there is no reason to give back to it (in any way, including leaving the toilets clean behind you) because it hasn't given you anything in the first place. That is why Indian industrialists are not philanthropists. Rockefeller always gave a tenth of his earnings to the Church, and then donated hundreds of millions, fighting hookworm and educating black women. Bill Gates gave $25 billion (around Rs1.2 trillion), and his cause is fighting malaria, which does not even affect Americans. Warren Buffett gave away $30 billion, almost his entire fortune. Andrew Carnegie built 2,500 libraries. Dhirubhai Ambani International School has annual fees starting at Rs47,500 (with a Rs 24,000 admission fee) and Mukesh Ambani's daughter was made head girl.

[/FONT]
Old 1st July 2010, 17:52   #130
Senior - BHPian

excellent read Kiran.
Old 1st July 2010, 18:23   #131
MX6
Senior - BHPian

The author of the above article has made some good observations about Indians when it comes to jumping signals, running away from accident sites, not cleaning toilets etc. However, his view of what hinduism preaches is hollow and is based on the interpretation of scriptures and mythology. The Vedas don't preach about not returning back to earth. The greatest traveller India had ever produced, who propounded the adwaita philosophy, Adi Shankara, clearly enunciates, what life and beyond is all about.
Indians are not like this because of the fact that the religious teachings are misunderstood. It's more with the fact that our current political, judicial and governmental set up is very corrupt and poor and that people have lost all faith in law, its enforcement and governance.
But nevertheless, a very interesting read.
Old 1st July 2010, 20:12   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
As the saying goes: Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
. Very well said.

The weakest part in a car is the nut behind the wheel (the breathing one) and it is best not to interfere with them.
As for incidents from my part, have had a few two of which I will share:

- Once while driving from Trivandrum to Hyderabad, we had reached a stretch of road between Eranakulam and Thrishur which was under construction. It was a two lane road and one lane was closed for work while the other was very rough with gravel strewn all over it and full of pot holes. Traffic was being regulated in a one way manner. So I slow down to around 20km/hr when this Qualis comes right behind me at around 80km/hr honking and lights flashing. What could I do, I could not speed up as I cared for my car and I had absolutely no place to let them over take (the side of the road was a huge ditch). So I continued until the stretch was over, beyond which I moved to the side and let me pass. He passes me, slows down to my speed, winds the window down looks to my side and gives me the finger. And then BANG. He had a head on collision with an auto coming in the opposite direction which he did not see because he was busy looking at me. We stopped to help and he did try to put the blame on us seeing that my car was an AP registraion. But once we started talking back in Malayalam and the folks behind us also stopped and took our side, he kept quite. The worst part was that his car was a company owned car and he was just a worker transporting he car from Cochin to Calicut. Wonder how his company took it.

- Second was something similar. We were doing around 100 when an Alto came up behind us. I was in the middle lane (3 lanes to one side) and thought that he would overtake from the right. But he did not, just kept behind me honking. So I roll down my window and give him the sign to pass which he does not. I move to the left lane but had speeded up a bit. The Alto overtakes and what happens next surprises me. He cuts in front of me and brakes - all in one motion. His car can't take it and severs and skid. Poor guy does not know what to do and ends up moving to the right most lane and hits the divider where he stops. We stop and help him and his wife from the car - both very dazed but unhurt. His wife is crying while he just sits on the divider and stares at the road. My wife and I move them off the road and then push their car to the side. A few more folks stop and help. Half an hour later, we hail a passing cab for him and send him on his way home.
Old 1st July 2010, 20:39   #133
BHPian

Kiran, I enjoyed reading that. Lot of food for thought. Thanks for sharing.
Old 1st July 2010, 20:39   #134
BHPian

Once i was coming from bangalore to chennai in my indica xeta.my vehicle was stuffed with all sorts of house hold items as we were relocating to chennai.
When i started the car, I made a point to my friend not to cross 80kmph as braking at higher speeds will see all the items flying like missiles...
But then i see a maruti 800 overtaking me and then a esteem. I could not digest the fact that a 800cc car overtook me, so i started driving mad throwing caution to the wind and i am touching 140 already...i was feeling nervous but did not want to get overtaken by 800. Then i came across a sharp curve and a bus was blocking half of the way..I panicked and thought i am going to crash but luckily managed to squeeze into the gap. Then i started realising my mistake and slowed down to 80 allowing both the vehicles to pass...They continued their racing.

Btw: There is a movie called "Duel". Its about a enraged truck driver trying to kill a car driver for overtaking the truck.
Old 1st July 2010, 21:02   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

The battle is within. And victory is to get home safe, inspite of the elements that surround us. Not to give into temptations to go one up on the others.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks