Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2006, 22:15   #76
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75
Hey , Maybe the drivers up north havnt yet learnt of that system unless its a driver from the South who is making a delivery up North ... when a driver wants you to overtake he will give the left indicator and start pulling to the left .
That is undoubtedly the correct signaling practice. But as per this thread, you could also interpret the truck's left indicator to mean that the driver wants you to overtake hiim on his left. I have also seen that happen. You often have to make spllit-second decisions and any ambiguity like this can be disasterous. My suggestion would be to watch the body language of the truck, and don't rely only on the signals that you see.
Old 8th October 2006, 20:14   #77
Senior - BHPian

Indicating by sticking out either of the legs to show the direction is absolutely hilarious. Something called necessity is the mother of invention..!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1
Hai,

I have posted this earlier too.....

In Ahmedabad, the auto wallas and scooter wallas signal with their feet .... So if you suddently see the right or left feet sticking out, he's not scratching his leg on the foot rest, he's intending to turn. Initially, I could'nt make out what was happening.. my friends here tell me its normal.

This one takes the cake....on the highway they have another strange signal here... I honk and ask for side to pass; the truck / bus guy puts out his hand with all fingers open and closes and opens it 3-4 times; meaning wait for 3-4 minutes I patiently wait and he gives side promptly in about 3/4 minutes !!!! If he does it quickly twice, he will give side quickly.. if slowly, it means just ease off and wait.......

--Ramky
This forum of ours being a powerful community, is it not possible that the seniors here suggest to the authorities to formulate a uniform system of driving habits on the highway and city limits so that one doesn't have to interpret or remember the prevailing practice in a particular zone or city..??

Last edited by adya33 : 21st October 2006 at 00:24.
Old 9th October 2006, 03:10   #78
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418
This forum of ours being a powerful community, is it not possible that the seniors here suggest to the authorities to formulate a uniform system of driving habits on the highway and city limits so that one doesn't have to interpret or remember the prevailing practice in a particular zone or city..??
Hey, NICE THOUGHT but I guess very tough to implement . Our so called govt officials have better things than to formulate new systems that wud make the traffic movement smoother and better ..

Cheers
Old 9th October 2006, 10:31   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravin_sn
Just qurious - any idea how this works in the US or Europen countries where ppl drive at breakneck speeds ? The US guys usually have things made so simple that a kid can follow it. So might be of help.
Not sure about US but in New Zealand its quite simple the only time you need to give indicator is when you are changing your lane. You dont need to signal anyone for overtaking, which was scary for me as the vehicle were overtaking from left at high speeds something I was not used too surprisingly though the top speed at motorways was wonly 100 kph :|
Old 9th October 2006, 12:09   #80
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418
Anything "uniform", which everybody accepts, is always difficult to achieve in this country. For what it is worth, here is my suggestion.

I think the best practice is to use indicators only for lane changing or turning. But if absolutely necessary, I suggest that the present system of overtaking signals be reversed:

-- A left (right) indicator could mean that "you may overtake me on my right (left), if the road is clear".

-- The danger signal (all indicators flashing) could be used to warn the driver behind not to overtake.

-- It is the overtaking vehicle's resposnsibility to ensure that the road is clear for the overtake.

For example, you are on the right lane and there is a vehicle ahead of you in that lane. If he turns on the right indicator, that should give you the go-ahead to overtake him on his left. If he turns on his left indicator, that means he is shifting to the left lane/turning left -- you may consider overtaking him to his right, but definitely not to his left. If he uses the danger signal, then he will continue in the right lane, but do not overtake as the road is not clear.

This in my opinion is consistent with the use of indicators for turning as well. But it will be difiicult to change the existing system.

Last edited by rks : 9th October 2006 at 12:11.
Old 9th October 2006, 12:10   #81
Senior - BHPian

it is strange that somebody has found this signal to be strange. this kind of unwritten rule has been prevalent in india for a very long time. and it is not only in a particular town. i came to know about that in 1990 when i used to travel by bus between cities. of course, one has to use one's common sense in these kind of situations. i dont have any statistics, but i dont think there has been any accidents because of this. there are much more to worry about in highway driving than this. the ones that use this signal are the buses, trucks & cabs. people like you & me will never use it, nor will we be letting someone pass.
Old 12th October 2006, 20:26   #82
BHPian

There is one more thing i have noticed on single lane highways. Typically the roads which are just wide enough for one bus. The shoulder of the road is made by vehicles putting one wheel on the dirt. On these roads, the vehicle which has the right indicator on stays on the road and the other has to get on to the dirt!!

This is best solved by just the Govt re-writing the rules clearly and publishing them in newspaper and be a little more strict on issuing licenses.

Unfortunately, half the population doesnt even know or care about the rules. If everyone followed the road rules, we would have lesser confusion on roads.
Old 17th October 2006, 12:46   #83
BHPian

one more funny signalling...

My bro-in-law was driving his 800 in a town recently when i came back to india. In a junction he put on his parking light (both indicators flashing) and drive straight thru road without turning anyway! He says that is to tell others in both the side that he is driving straight!

This is all because of basic education while getting the DL.
Old 20th October 2006, 21:10   #84
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser
My bro-in-law was driving his 800 in a town recently when i came back to india. In a junction he put on his parking light (both indicators flashing) and drive straight thru road without turning anyway! He says that is to tell others in both the side that he is driving straight!

This is all because of basic education while getting the DL.
happened the same with me.. the guy in front put the hazard (parking) sign.. so i juz tried to overtake him as i had enough space on the right... the next thing i saw was him going straight n he oso dun forgot to give me a good look as i have voilated the basic traffic rule of not to overtake a vehicle in a junction... later my friend told me that that is the indian version of going straight coz we have the brake lights to indicate that the vehicle is stopping.... STUPID ME... how come i never think abt that... hahaha
Old 2nd November 2006, 13:57   #85
Senior - BHPian

I have encountered this new driving technique in the last few months. I have seen many vehicles driving with their hazards blinking at night on highways and city roads! On the Mumbai-Pune expressway, as soon as vehicles enter the tunnels, they switch on their hazards. This style is resorted to by private car drivers/owners too. What does this indicate? Is it to make themselves more visible on the roads?!
Old 2nd November 2006, 14:03   #86
Senior - BHPian

Hi Amit

Usually people do ths if the visibility is so low that the normal tail lamps are not visible e.g once on Ambey valley road even I had to turn my blinker one as there was heavy fog vehicles were not much visible with just the tail lamps on.

So probably people are using this same logic for tunnel also.
Old 2nd November 2006, 22:00   #87
Senior - BHPian

My cousin did the very same thing once. He said that the use of the hazards (at a junction) indicates that the vehicle isn't turning left or right, but going straight. I felt that was wierd, but that's apparently a common practice in many places.
I've seen some bigger vehicles use the hazards in tunnels, but that was in Germany and France. That indicates that the particular vehicle's moving at a slower pace, hence other vechiles need to change lanes, or atleast be aware that the guy's going slower than the speed limit ( to avoid losing control at higher speeds).
Old 6th November 2006, 19:10   #88
Senior - BHPian

I once happen to read an article in ' the hindu ' national news paper about the right indicator usage on highways. I guess you all have noticed the ' horn - please - ok ' ; well i guess it as ' blow your horn ' the vehicle infront of you gives 3 or 4 blinks saying it as ' ok ' to over take.
Old 19th August 2008, 17:43   #89
BHPian

Use of Indicators for Overtaking

Hi Team BHP,

In India, there are some confusion about the use of Indicators, especially for overtaking.

My understanding is
1) If a vehicle has its one side indicator ON, other should not overtake through the same side. ( E.g. if the Right indicator in ON, that means he is going to turn/move to right and others should not try to pass him through the right side. )
2) If you want to allow the vehicle behind you to overtake, switch ON the LEFT indicator to show that you are moving to left so that he can overtake
Experienced BHPians, pls correct me if I am wrong
But many drivers either don't know this rule or ignore it. I saw may lories switching On their Right indicator to allow overtaking. They think instead of showing their had ( obviously on the right side) they can switch on the Right indicator.
Old 19th August 2008, 18:45   #90
BANNED

Thread exists
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...vertaking.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks