Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2010, 14:37   #31
BHPian

Hey Raj,

I'm shocked but not surprised to hear about the theft attempt. You're extremely lucky that the attempt failed and your car is still with you.

I have a gear lock installed in my Scorp. If you have any apprehensions, you can come and have a look at my car (in Andheri) before you decide to install one.

All said and done, the only foolproof protection is having a valid insurance policy. Everything else can be cracked!
Old 17th May 2010, 15:17   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
It is ok to have two different set of keys, but why not consider removing all locks and make the doors work only with the remote.
what will i do if the remote stops functioning in the middle of nowhere or its battery packs up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
No, it doesnt. The gear lock mountingplate fits on the chassis using bolts whose heads are broken once fully tightened. It does not use the center console at all AFAIK.
okay, thanks for that info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Do not retain your old key for ignition. Change the doors and the ignition one too. If possible, change the immobilizer code to a new code.
okay, since i have changed the code once, can i change it again using the same method?

i do have the scan of the manual but ideally before changing the password, it should be asking the older password. there is no mention of this in the manual. else even a thief can easily change the password if he knows how to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Hey Raj,

I'm shocked but not surprised to hear about the theft attempt. You're extremely lucky that the attempt failed and your car is still with you.

I have a gear lock installed in my Scorp. If you have any apprehensions, you can come and have a look at my car (in Andheri) before you decide to install one.

All said and done, the only foolproof protection is having a valid insurance policy. Everything else can be cracked!
which make is the gear lock buddy? shall i fit it from a normal accessory shop or should i go to some authorised dealer?
Old 17th May 2010, 15:24   #33
BHPian

Raj I think it's Rm brand. I purchased it from an accesory shop but the company technician visited my place to install it.
Old 17th May 2010, 15:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

okay, then thats fine. actually i was wondering whether to put steering lock or gear lock. putting both would not be very practical.

i was inclined towards a steering lock as it is easily visible from outside (this acting as a deterrent to the thief) & also, since it does not need any special installation.
Old 17th May 2010, 16:35   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
what will i do if the remote stops functioning in the middle of nowhere or its battery packs up?
Raj, I agree its a pain in such circumstances. With appropriate usage across the remotes and changing battery once in 2 years (or 1 year if needed), I dont think You would be stranded.

I am not sure if there are other shortcomings of having to use only the remote, but am sure the advantage will outweigh any.

Who would wanna pry open a door with no lock.
Old 17th May 2010, 17:28   #36
MX6
Senior - BHPian

On a lighter note, I'm going back to medieval period for securing my car. Guess I'll follow my guru, Mr. Bean.
Name:  Padlock.bmp
Views: 5221
Size:  488.2 KB
Copyrights of photo rests with original owner who's post popped up in google search!
Old 17th May 2010, 17:32   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i do have the scan of the manual but ideally before changing the password, it should be asking the older password. there is no mention of this in the manual. else even a thief can easily change the password if he knows how to do it.
Raj, we need to get this checked/verified from ASC or M&M.
Old 17th May 2010, 17:41   #38
Senior - BHPian

Yes, i will be writing a mail to M&M very soon. can someone share the e-mail address to whom i should be writing?

i am not asking the customer care mail id, they cannot help me in such situations.
Old 18th May 2010, 08:43   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Raj - there is only one way. Please contact me by PM or call me on my mobile. I'll guide you in totality. I can't write here. The thief may also be reading.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 18th May 2010, 09:36   #40
Senior - BHPian

how does one go about changing the code for the immobilizer from the default? A friend bought a scorpio, and the dealer was too lazy to do it then(I insisted he do it when he took delivery), and he was too lazy to take it back to them now. Is there anyway we can do it now ?
Old 18th May 2010, 09:37   #41
Senior - BHPian

Dear Behram sir, i have sent you a PM with my mobile number. If possible, please pass me your number so that i can call you. thanks.

@ greenhorn: PM me your e-mail id buddy, i'll send you a scanned copy of the manual where everything is illustrated clearly. by the way, my dealer changed the code in my car. every dealer should know this.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 18th May 2010 at 09:41.
Old 18th May 2010, 09:47   #42
Senior - BHPian

Raj,

I would agree with Rocky and suggest that you blank out the key holes. The remote lock batteries last for years and you get to know about their drain level well in advance (the moment the range comes down). And you can always carry an extra battery in your purse.

Do have a look at it.
Old 18th May 2010, 12:45   #43
Senior - BHPian

Raj, key things.

- Get your lock set changed, ideally using a new keyset only for the starting lock for cranking and older ones for the outer body locks.
- Check if you have any fuse blown, that will help M&M(via your mail) to atleast have a separate fuse allocated to the Alarm system.
- Get MicroVBB, SMS based notification system. Atleast you can get SMS alerts and immobilize the vehicle from your Phone then. Also track it, if you want to.

The protection has to get more stringent if the thieves get smarter.

Last edited by dadu : 18th May 2010 at 12:51.
Old 18th May 2010, 12:57   #44
Senior - BHPian

first of all, a big thanks to Dhabar sir for calling me & helping me out of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Raj,

I would agree with Rocky and suggest that you blank out the key holes. The remote lock batteries last for years and you get to know about their drain level well in advance (the moment the range comes down). And you can always carry an extra battery in your purse.

Do have a look at it.
yes, atleast temporarily, i am putting new locks on the doors. i will find a good & trusted garage later to blank out the key holes.

also, if i plug the key holes with rubber bushing, what measures can be taken so that a thief cannot remove the busing out in any ways?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Raj, key things.

- Get your lock set changed
first thing.

Quote:
- Check if you have any fuse blown, that will help M&M(via your mail) to atleast have a separate fuse allocated to the Alarm system.
i have thought of that & also a solution to prevent such a thing in future.

Quote:
- Get MicroVBB, SMS based notification system. Atleast you can get SMS alerts and immobilize the vehicle from your Phone then. Also track it, if you want to.
what are my options with such GSM tracking security features? is MicroVBB the best?

Quote:
The protection has to get more stringent if the thieves get smarter.
as i said, i am also considering some other small things (again thanks to Behram sir) which will make things more difficult for the thief.
Old 18th May 2010, 13:21   #45
BHPian

Raj partner, (pun intended, Sharukh ishtyle)
Behram is here, no fear

Dont use rubber bushings to blank out the keyholes. You could use what offroaders use to close out plugs/holes (maybe steel, putty and paint).

I sincerely hope, Behram's idea hits the nail on the thief's coffin.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks