Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 11:06   #31
BHPian

I think I may have a solution for you to solve this problem peacefully. Have seen it here in Malaysia. You may need to invest a little money to get it fabricated from a local metal fabricator, but will ensure a lot of peace of mind.

I will take some pictures of this device and post it here. It is similar to the Parking Guard mentioned in the link above, but not so fancy looking and not automatic either. You will need to get off your car every time you are leaving or are returning to either enable or disable it. But I think it'll be worth the effort since you will be saved the stress and frustration after returning from an already stressful day.
Old 18th June 2010, 13:20   #32
BHPian

I had a truck parked in front of my building gate for a couple of days, I was thinking of going down with a nail and hammer and puncturing all the tyres. Yes the truck will not move away easily but atleast next time no one will park over there again.
Old 18th June 2010, 15:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

I faced a similar situation as the OP for more than a year when I was living in Bengaluru (Koramangala 7th Block to be precise). Everyone who wanted to visit the famous Forum Mall or shop around in Koramangala would park in the street where we lived and the area in front of my (then) house had 3 parking slots out of which one was mine (i.e. in front of the garage gate itself) and the other was used as an unsaid agreement by a neighbour. But there would always be this problem - so much so that people would actually park in front of the gate if that space was empty!

The best solution really is to block the "offending" car, which is what OP is already doing. Sometimes I used to park my car very close to the offending car's driver side door. That helped on a couple of occasions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
I had a truck parked in front of my building gate for a couple of days, I was thinking of going down with a nail and hammer and puncturing all the tyres. Yes the truck will not move away easily but atleast next time no one will park over there again.
This was the bigger problem, however. My car getting blocked by a local Pepsi crate delivery truck. This lane was the only place where they could park freely and they would park for 1-2 hours every day. Sometimes they would go off for chai and not return for more than an hour. I once had to miss an appointment because my car was completely blocked (two cars on either side and truck in front). I raised hell in all of the local kirana stores and got the number of the local Pepsi distributor. I called him up and gave him an earful. Within half an hour, I heard the truck fire up and drive off in a hurry of the sort I'd never seen before - even as I ran out of the house shouting at them. I wished I could've gotten hold of the driver and his mates that evening...

Regards,
spadix
Old 8th September 2010, 09:30   #34
BHPian

This is very common in my area and I can very well relate to your problem as it happens with me as well. We have 4 cars and parking space of 2, my neighbour has 4 cars and parking space of 2 even the house in front of mine has 4 cars and parking space for 3 and plus the relatives that are usually coming to everybody's place.

The two simple solution which I do or see others doing is-

1.Park the unused 2-wheeler lying around the house(I have 2 but never really done this too much hassle ) so as to cover the whole parking space along the wall and leave the gate area vacant as mostly the civilized people don't park in front of the gate.(Somebody just parked in front of my gate too a couple of weeks back and then I had to park at somebody else's gate and I gave him a piece of my mind when he returned)

2.As we have more than one car and one of them is usually at home so park the vehicle along the wall and leave the gate area vacant or you can park the car in such a way that it covers half of the gate and half of the wall bounding area and nobody can squeeze their car in that space.

I have even seen a house which has like 4-5 metal pillars of the size of a cricket wicket and a chain runs through them so when they need to park their vehicle they remove the chain park and then tie the chain. I'll try and post a pic of that.
Hope it helps.
Old 8th September 2010, 09:57   #35
BHPian

Get a bundle of parking tickets, and employ a watchman to sit there and take money for parking, that ways you earn money too, but the problem is MCD will haunt you!!

Not sure if you are in Vasant Kunj! Its a sight to watch after a late night movie, sometimes folks are forced to park in park or in alleys!
Old 8th September 2010, 10:08   #36
Senior - BHPian

It is a public road. Anyone can park there and you can't do anything about it, unless they are blocking your entrance.

If I were you, I will give some incentive to the watchman of this construction site to ensure this spot is free when I return home. I Would not mind anyone parking there during other times!
Old 12th September 2010, 22:27   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

For solving parking woes watch out this link:
Wöhr Parking Systems - Wöhr Multiparker 730 - Budapest, Hungary

Lets hope our congested metros and cities get something like this!

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 12th September 2010 at 22:31.
Old 20th September 2010, 12:13   #38
BHPian

Simple Not Destructive Solution

Hi,
Finally got some pictures about the solution I had described about earlier (way back in June), sincere apologies for the delay.

Have a look at the pictures I've posted here. I'm sure it's easy to get the same fabricated through some metal fabricator. The whole setup is fixed to the floor using long anchor bolts and have hinges on the sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Parking Problem...Need Destructive Solution-1.jpg  

Parking Problem...Need Destructive Solution-2.jpg  

Parking Problem...Need Destructive Solution-3.jpg  

Old 20th September 2010, 12:30   #39
Senior - BHPian

@Dud - How does this thing work exactly? Is it to be locked with wheel or something like that? Also IMO, if this is to be used, a small amount of cementing work also needs to be carried out, that too, on the road. Would the corporation allow it?
Old 20th September 2010, 12:37   #40
BHPian

A new suggestion!

Just thought I would give you a peaceful suggestion - Don't know how expensive this will be, but could you not break down the wall facing the road and make the entire length into a gate? This should solve your problem as no one is allowed to park in front of a gate.

I have seen this technique used in some houses in Indiranagar (Bangalore) and has worked well.
Old 20th September 2010, 12:50   #41
Senior - BHPian

That is a very neat contraption indeed.

Let me try to explain how it works. When a car is parked, you basically remoce the lock and flatten the two arms on the road. So it is one long flat piece. SO you can drive your car over it. Once you move out, pull up the arms again and lock it in place, so no once can park.

Very ingenious indeed.

But yes, valid point is, is it legal to install on a public road. it does not require cementing, just bolts to the tar. I guess you can go ahead and put this, as it is nothing big and should help. Quite easy to fabricate as well
Old 20th September 2010, 12:58   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Very ingenious indeed.
I thought so; what if someone still parks their car behind this instrument?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
just bolts to the tar.
Bolting to tar? Boy!!! This is India, next day you come over to only see the fabrication stolen; maximum one week. Unless its cemented its not effective.
Old 20th September 2010, 13:26   #43
BHPian

OK, now people have started to claim public property as their personal parking space and even discussing about how to protect it from public use...Very interesting!

Isn't that what this thread is all about or did I get it wrong?
Old 20th September 2010, 14:17   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Does that mean that I could park in front of anyone's house? Its a road, ain't it!
Actually yeah! If the place where he parked is public property (like a road/lane side), then you dont have ownership or "grandfather" rights over it. ANYONE can park there, and your act of blocking off access like you did is plain illegal. But if he was blocking your entry gate, then yes he is at fault. But i dont think this was the case? He was parking in a spot where you normally parked. But this spot is a public place and you have no ownership over it!

We have been facing the same problem in our colony with colony members fighting among themselves over limited parking space. Some dolts took to blocking off cars like you did in an attempt to provoke fights. When I saw one dolt blocking my car on Friday night, i called the traffic police which came within 20 mins and towed away his car! He went through a fair amount of trouble on Saturday to get his car freed and i am sure he is not going to try that stunt again!

Last edited by COUGAR : 20th September 2010 at 14:20.
Old 21st September 2010, 05:18   #45
BHPian

To the OP - if I've understood your posting correctly, you're asking for a solution to prevent others from parking in a space where you have been parking which happens to be close to your home but on a public road / property - aren't you?
If my understanding is wrong, can you please clarify?
If not, to you and all others who have been suggesting solutions, isn't the act plain illegal? Pardon my ignorance!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks