Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2010, 09:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Overtaking a minister? How dare you...

See the news article below. Labour Minister of Karnataka Bache Gowda beat up a business man who overtook minister's car near Nelamangala.

The Hindu : Front Page : Bache Gowda in road rage fisticuffs

http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_disp.asp?n_id=83477

Quote:
...Mr. Bache Gowda, his gunman and car driver are reported to have beaten up Bharat, a real-estate businessman from Bangalore, his father and other family members for overtaking the Minister's car.
The Minister telephoned the Nelamangala Police Inspector and directed the police to register a case against Mr. Bharat. The police also collected a fine of Rs. 300 from Mr. Bharat.
Quote:
Real estate businessman Bharat, who was driving in a Tata Safari along with his aged father Lokappa Gowda, wife and two children, had overtaken the Minister’s car near the Cadbury’s chocolate factory unmindful of the official car with red beacon light.
Angered by the affront by an ordinary citizen, the Minister’s car driver immediately drove past the Tata Safari and got down along with the official gunman accompanying Bache Gowda and took Bharat to task for not bothering to make way giving respect to the Minister. ``Are you such a big man to overtake an official car of the minister,” they asked and assaulted the real estate businessman.
When Bharat, who was slapped and beaten up causing bleeding injuries and even loss of a tooth, reportedly asked the Minister’s driver and gunman to lodge a police complaint if overtaking a minister’s car was an offence, Bache Gowda, who was sitting in his car until then, got livid with anger and abused Bharat with foul language unmindful of the pleas from the wife and children. Even the aged father’s pleas to let the matter go by without harming his son fell on deaf ears.
The Minister called the Nelamangala police Inspector and directed the police to register a case against Bharat. As per the Indian Motor Act, the police collected fine of Rs. 300 from Bharat, who was taken to the Nelamangala police station along with his family.

Last edited by vasoo : 17th August 2010 at 09:12.
Old 17th August 2010, 09:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Where is Bangalore going to these days? Now that the politicians too getting involved in road rages

It is absolutely heartless act by the minister. So tomorrow if his vehice overtakes the CM's vehicle, will he be also pulled out of car and abused, assaulted in a similar way. The cops on the other hand instead of amicably settling the issue, bogged down to the ministers demand and fined the poor chap. I think the power had gone to the head of the minister. I hope the bueracracy intervenes in this matter and reprimands the errant minister.
Old 17th August 2010, 09:18   #3
Team-BHP Support

May be there is more here than meets the eye. A politician can't be this stupid enough to get into such negative PR situation on public roads. There could be previous history.
Old 17th August 2010, 09:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

@samurai; There is a term 'drunk on power'. It is just that. Quite often the 'chamcha' is far worse than the boss.
Old 17th August 2010, 09:25   #5
MX6
Senior - BHPian

May be it's a gowda - gowda family rivalry?
Jokes apart, this seems like a more sensationalised story. I can understand if a minister's son gets in to fisticuffs for such things. But ministers are not that foolish to do such things in public.
Old 17th August 2010, 09:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

I don't know what to say & everyday the news is getting worse & worse; like a kindergarten, "miss he's pinching me"!!! Considering the ethics & regulation of this forum, I'm saying nothing more than this because I don't want to see myself being banned.

Anyway, I'm making a guess that the incident should've happened this way...
- The Safari overtakes minister vehicle
- Now the aggitated minister's car driver would've increased speed & tried overtaking Safari.
- Either the Safari should've not given the way deliberately or due to circumstances
- Finally when the driver overtakes, he confronts the Safari
- Naturally the businessman (being a real estate owner, assume that he supports opposition party) would've given back to the driver & he may not be knowing that the minister is in the car, probably.
- Finally the verbal argument gets into manhandling & then minister intervenes & turns out to road rage.

If its not the above, time to flee or send atleast my little ones away from this country

Last edited by aargee : 17th August 2010 at 09:28.
Old 17th August 2010, 09:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
May be there is more here than meets the eye. A politician can't be this stupid enough to get into such negative PR situation on public roads. There could be previous history.
Exactly my thoughts when I read this article today. There could be much more than a mere over-taking saga behind this whole incident.
Old 17th August 2010, 10:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

This is why I like Kerala ministers, their convoy goes faster than the manufacturer rated top speed of the cars in the convoy Ordinary citizen doesn't have to overtake, all they have to do is tag along if they need to get somewhere faster
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2010, 10:06   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I think so too. I might have overtaken cars with red beacon many times on highways and not even once. Yes, I get watchful if I see a convoy of such cars, generally give way.

Actually I was driving in NH4 towards Pune two weeks back when the Padayatra drama was going on. Before Chitradurga they have blocked the two lanes going towards Pune for these guys. We all moved to right lane sharing it peacefully. While a white safari with a Congress flag drives with all his might, unmindful of people walking in the left two lanes, braking, swerving to avoid people and all it had was a party flag. So, there are cheapos and for them they dont need a red beacon, just a party flag would do.

Nainar
Old 17th August 2010, 10:23   #10
BHPian

I happened to witness this melee when I was driving back from Hassan. Did not know that this is a case of road rage. Its surprising that there is no "fine" for beating up somebody black and blue in the road versus overtaking a minister's car. Apparently CM has tendered his apologies on this incident and is asking the minister for explanation.
Old 17th August 2010, 10:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Heh. Try pulling such a stunt on the Delhi - Chandigarh, or Delhi - Amritsar route. You'll soon be staring at the business ends of 4 AK-47s.

But like majority opinion, i agree the story is not complete.
Old 17th August 2010, 10:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Well nothing but goondagiri!

I dont know how many have come across politicians vehicles on the road, when ever i have come across have noticed that they are driven very aggressively and almost push every one out of thier way!

Am sure if one resists or try to behave the same way as they do with others this is what will be the outcome!
Old 17th August 2010, 11:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao
when ever i have come across have noticed that they are driven very aggressively and almost push every one out of thier way!
Yes, I've witnessed this once on my way from KL to TN from Trichy; guess a congress flag flying in front of Pajero (with all 9's in golden letters) driving with all the BHP on the engine. I don't think the drive was comfortable neither for the driver nor the minister (if sitting inside). I was steady nearly on 3 digit speeds while this guy kept unsteady speeds, like 120+ for few seconds & then back to 20 Kmph with blarring horns & pushing everyone out of way on the road, kind of driving with his poor driving skills.

Last edited by aargee : 17th August 2010 at 11:04.
Old 17th August 2010, 11:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

I guess this is something to do with land acquisition rather than road rage.
Old 17th August 2010, 12:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

sad to hear, whatever it is minister has the power to do as he wants.

Under what section was 300 rs collected as fine from the driver ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks