Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2010, 12:22   #61
BHPian

Ah yes. All politicians, and even their kins must have indulged themselves in "power" factor. Recently when I was returning to Chennai from Erode, a Volvo SUV overtook me. It was night, rainy and almost 10pm. While I was admiring the Volvo, a newly registered Pajero overtook me and joined the Volvo SUV. Soon it was followed by another black scorpio which had a poster displaying the photo of a well-known central minister's son. And yeah, he carries his dad's name too. He is a growing youth wing leader (i guess) in a age old political party. So I immediately recognized the minister's son must be travelling in the Volvo and the pajero, scorpio must be part of his convoy.

Near Sriperumbudhur, it was raining heavily and the water from scorpio's wheels was showering so much that I found it difficult to drive my alto. Also the visibility was getting poor because of the water shower. The convoy was moving in a leisure pace of about 70kmph. I decided to overtake the convoy and go ahead because, there was a lengthy trail of vehicles coming behind me. Slowing down would make things worse I thought. So I pressed the gas, put the alto in TURBO mode (switched off the AC) and zipped ahead. Just after I overtook the Scorpio and Pajero, the great son's SUV sensed I am trying to overtake them and immediately blocked my way. When I moved right there too blocked my way. A few zig-zag's and yet no use.

My poor Alto is no match for a Volvo SUV and I decided to give up and slowed down. Immediately the Pajero came forward and the scorpio zipped past ahead. Then came the climax. Within a minute two Innovas with the same party posters displaying the "great" son's photo came closer. One positioned in front of me and another to my left. They suddenly braked and slowed down cornering me to the median. Hopelessly cornered. Just a few inches gap to the innova in my left and median in my right, and few inches to the innova in my front.

Having my wifey on board, I do not know what to do, except to brake down completely and submit to them. For a near 200 meters I was cornered and then they left. I am not sure if the "great" son is aware of this or not. But this itself shows how bad his gang is.

Yes, overtaking political parties.. and even members of their families, is considered as a sin!

Last edited by rajeshsundaram : 19th August 2010 at 12:26.
Old 19th August 2010, 13:18   #62
BHPian

It is reported in todays malayalam news paper "DEEPIKA.COM" that a business man from Trivandrum is caught and arrested for over speeding and overtaking a minister on the way from Trivandrum to Nagercoil.
Usually the kerala minister's official cars fly off and normal drivers can not overtake them in Kerala roads.The pilot vehicle clears the traffic and make way for the minister's car.This is first time hearing such an incident.There may be some reason for the cops to chase him and arrest.
Old 19th August 2010, 14:07   #63
Senior - BHPian

I remember one incident which happened in Bangalore not so long ago when a person was forced to suicide due to unbearable pressure and threats from goons after his car was involved in an accident with an "ex-PM"'s car. You know who.
Old 19th August 2010, 14:13   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I remember one incident which happened in Bangalore not so long ago when a person was forced to suicide due to unbearable pressure and threats from goons after his car was involved in an accident with an "ex-PM"'s car. You know who.
I still remember,his name is Ramesh & he was just 23.
This happened in Jan 2008.Only the bumper of the said "ex-PM"'s car was damaged.
Old 19th August 2010, 14:27   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
I still remember,his name is Ramesh & he was just 23. This happened in Jan 2008.Only the bumper of the said "ex-PM"'s car was damaged.
Yes! And the news papers had carried both the articles (Accident and Suicide). Such incidents, And still Politicians claim they are here to serve the people (Not "aam admi", but different people may be). If it's a President's, PM's, MP's or even a CM's Car, we can understand. But Former PMs, MLAs????
Old 19th August 2010, 16:05   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
I still remember,his name is Ramesh & he was just 23.
This happened in Jan 2008.Only the bumper of the said "ex-PM"'s car was damaged.
Unfortunately for the young man the car happened to be Forester and the bumper would have cost 30k+ which may be one of the reasons why the goons went searching for him in the locality.
Old 19th August 2010, 16:29   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Unfortunately for the young man the car happened to be Forester and the bumper would have cost 30k+ which may be one of the reasons why the goons went searching for him in the locality.
Why? Hasn't the "ex-PM" heard of something called insurance?
Old 19th August 2010, 16:35   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Its called greed. Extort money from the hapless guy AND claim insurance. Double whammy !!!
Old 19th August 2010, 16:45   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Apparently the ex-PM instructed his men not to harm the young man and let him go when the incident happened. But these men decided to make the guy pay the price. Obviously going thru insurance would have required the boss's approval.
Old 19th August 2010, 18:06   #70
BHPian

We are too naive to expect some kind of consideration from these politicians. Overtaking their car is just like overtaking a gunda's car. Just that the former has a read beacon.
If I'm ever in this kind of a situation, I'll quietly let the convoy pass. I'll accept that I don't have the gun-power,muscle-power,political-power or any power that these goons have.
If I had, I would have rather contested the next assembly election against this minister rather than fighting for my just rights.
Its sad but thats how it works here in India and I'm a part of it.
Old 19th August 2010, 19:24   #71
BHPian

Another example of things that can happen only in apna mahaan desh!
Thankfully i haven't encountered any convoys so far, now i know what not to do when i do come across one!

The Ex-PM's saga is here
Old 19th August 2010, 22:14   #72
Senior - BHPian

Well this was a minister ..... I had to deal with a son of a minister - read here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...died-nose.html
Old 19th August 2010, 22:50   #73
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday in one of the channels they were showing details of this. The Safari was honking continuously for a good distance and then overtook the minister's car with constant honking.
What the hell was the guy thinking?

Still we are being ruled (!) by pathetic people. Talking about how we are being taken for a ride, there is a U.S Kannada meet coming up and each minister or MLA would be travelling with extended family with our tax paid money. Isnt our president doing the same for her vacation? This is the norm.

63 years is too short to forget how to enjoy power
Old 19th August 2010, 23:25   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

There are times, when some idiot has been driving within parking distance of my backside and honking madly that I really wish I was a minister.

None-the-less: the law makers should not be leading the law breaking.
Old 20th August 2010, 01:06   #75
Senior - BHPian

I remember driving from Delhi to Chandigarh, when blaring sirens and about 5-6 police cars whizzed by me. The police dudes waved their guns at me, asking me to make way.

I did just that... and the Indo-Pak bus screamed past me!

Nice scene!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks