Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2011, 21:02   #136
Team-BHP Support

Re: Your On Road Signature (Driving Habits)

ghodlur:
Helmet coming off means it was not strapped in.

Most people assume that the hard outer shell of the helmet protects the head. That is incorrect. Its the layer of foam/ thermacoal kind of thing on that inside that saves the head.

So its very important that the helmet is chosen very carefully. It must be certified with either ISI (Indian) or DOT (American) or preferably ECE (European) or my personal favorite Snell.
A helmet meeting ECE standards would cost around 2.5k in India.
There are threads on how to choose a helmet. Please refer to them for more information.

Also helmets have a usable life. Usually 3 years. And once a helmet is subjected to an impact its protective power is gone.
Old 4th February 2011, 22:42   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
It is getting very hypothetical. I may slip bathroom and bang my head against the wall and die.
Using helmet for very short distances is not practical, atleast for me. One can argue, for argument's sake, but nothing comes out of it.
Well, while you are in the bathroom, you wouldnt have anyone pushing you with velocity. On the road you may be the best driver ever, but there are a lot of external forces that could act upon you, however cautious you are.
Its your decision altogether, but one does need to consider that someone at home is waiting for them.
Old 5th February 2011, 11:35   #138
Senior - BHPian

Re: Thank you Signature. Danke Schon!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
One signature move i always follow is Danke Schon.

If someone gives me way or makes a cooperative action, i do one right blink immediately followed by a left blink.

This is a very common thing followed in Germany that i learnt while driving there. Its called a Danke Schon, meaning Thank you in German. I found this to make the driving light and cooperative.

The only pity is that i hardly get a chance to do it because of the jungle rule traffic behavior in Bombay
Thanks for sharing this with us. Its a pretty unusual way of saying thank you. Hope that one day, we will have a thank you gesture here in India. No better place to start such a trend then here on t-bhp. Any ideas anyone?
Old 5th February 2011, 16:52   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
But everytime I do that the image of a middle aged man comes in front of my eyes.
Happened a long time back in Chennai.
Kotturpuram bridge. I am riding in total bindaas style. Just around 18-19 years old. On the opposite side of the road a middle aged man on a scooter. A slight tap on his bike by a slightly fast car.
The man fell. He hit the pavement with the side of his head. Ever seen how a coconut breaks open. Well that is how he died.
A neighbour died a long time ago (around '92) in similar fashion. Apparently, she skidded and fell while taking a left turn (2 streets away from home) on her Kinetic Honda. She got hit in a very sensitive part the head and went into coma and died shortly after. The autowallahs nearby said she was probably doing 10 kph. It was terribly sad, since she used to always wear a helmet but wasn't on that particular day (it was a neighbourhood jaunt - the helmet was hanging by the hook on the bike). She left behind her husband and 2 kids.

Helmets (when worn!) definitely save people - most of the time. Sadly, a large number of people don't realize their value.

Quote:
About slipping in the bathroom and breaking your head and dying.
hmmm....
Everyday the newspaper has reports of atleast 2-3 motorcycle riders kicking the bucket. Its very very rare that you would read about someone falling and dying in a bathroom.
Spot on. Freak accidents do happen. But we cannot use them to justify not taking adequate precautions in risk-prone daily activities such as commuting (bike / car / walk / public transport).

Last edited by spindoc : 5th February 2011 at 16:54.
Old 6th February 2011, 19:27   #140
Team-BHP Support

I've seen a lot of people riding with unstrapped/loosely strapped helmets, including a few close friends and family members. Very dangerous habit.

Please ensure that your helmet's chin-strap is a snug fit (tighten appropriately if necessary). An unstrapped/loose/incorrectly strapped helmet can sometimes be more dangerous than not wearing one at all.

I came across an accident during my college days where a biker was seriously hurt (later died in hospital, unfortunately) just because his unstrapped helmet apparently jerked sideways violently on impact, snapping his neck.
Old 9th February 2011, 08:13   #141
Senior - BHPian

Noticed a couple of things while being driven around yesterday.

1. People smoking either while driving or while sitting at the back seat. Now i firmly believe that while driving you should definately not be smoking. Secondly if you are sitting in the back smoking with the windows down. Keep your cigarette in your car and not hanging out the window. Our windows were rolled down and this guy was just holding his cigarette out his window and our cabin was filling up with smoke. Thats just unacceptable.

2. Blaring loud music ~ while i firmly believe that you can and should buy the best possible sound system for your vehicle. I dont think it is necessary to blare this music with your windows down at full volume. Have you bought the system to enjoy the music for yourself or is it for others benefit. If you want to blare the music at top volume atleast have the decency to have your windows rolled up.

Was bugging me since yesterday so just had to post it this morning.

Drive safe!
Old 9th February 2011, 08:51   #142
BANNED

my signature(When driving alone)
I tend to apologize to my car if Ive driven her over a pot hole carelessly.
At times i tend to look over my shoulder while doing a lane change maneuver to kill blind spots.

Last edited by vinaydas : 9th February 2011 at 08:53.
Old 9th February 2011, 09:23   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
I tend to apologize to my car if Ive driven her over a pot hole carelessly.
hey, i do that too! on the bike, i've to apologise to the bike and the pillion rider
Old 9th February 2011, 22:24   #144
Senior - BHPian

My Signature.. well a biker.

1. Helmet-check
2. Head cloth(to avoid helmet from becoming a scent factory)-check
3. Documents-check
4. When on road, mirrors LH and RH check
5. When on a Turn(left turn), watch the right side first, then the left(pehle dahine dekho phir bhaaye dekho, old railway crossing adv) If doing a right turn do the reverse of it. Well I learned this habit while my flying training so I just stick to it on road too.
6. BenzinBlut, come to chennai, I will show you the "Danke Schön" in my bike!!
7. Stop in the red lights no matter who is behind me and honking(except for emergency vehicles, I strictly dont move for the rest of the driving lot) and if someone does wants me to move, I just show him the signal.
8. Hate road rage and the people who do it. No abuses to be hurled and I seriously get on my nerves when someone hurles words at me, because I never break rules so I know I am not at fault always, so I hate being shouted at for following rules.
9. Indicate during lane change, even if no one's behind me, before changing lanes watch the mirrors.
10. Honk only when its extremely necessary and use the "Pass" in other favourable situations.
11. No signal to signal drag races.
12. Dipped headlights normally, headlights in park position in signals, flash highbeams just for a fraction of secs or use "pass" while overtaking

Bad habits:
1. late nite drive on the mount road, I will be in the centre lane/right lane at 70+ with controlled aggression.
2. Signal drags Thats when I came to know that I bought a angelishly looking beast! Beat a RTR 180, pulsar 180 and a unicorn hands down from Nandanam to Saidapet signal at 0130hrs.

Well I have overcome the second point now a days as my night driving is equal to zero and I have become more comfortable with the bike while it gives me so much smoothness when driven at around 60-65 so I stick to it.
point no.1 happens when I am out in the nights.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 9th February 2011 at 22:28.
Old 9th February 2011, 22:32   #145
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
My Signature
Alpha Kilo??? Oh man for a minute I couldn't believe it...

sorry for the OT Alpha Kilo. You just got back memories of a friend...

Last edited by Spitfire : 9th February 2011 at 22:34.
Old 9th February 2011, 23:19   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Alpha Kilo??? Oh man for a minute I couldn't believe it...

sorry for the OT Alpha Kilo. You just got back memories of a friend...
Sir I understand who you mean. The legendary off roader!!
Old 9th February 2011, 23:26   #147
BHPian

Habits before stating my drive,
1) I hate to see any things laying on the dash board . They may reflect on the wind shield and start distracting.. Moving object on D/B also detract. So,I make sure no things lie on my D/B.
2) I make sure any bottles (water bottles ) laying on floor or seat are well secured in place. If not they become nescience while hard braking.
3) All RVMs should be focused to the driver. All doors locked.
Habits while driving,
1) Cold start I use low gears until car temp starts showing some indication.
2) My eye will be always on constant touch with temp gauge and oil light.
3) while tailing a vehicle I alert my self seeing trough other vehicle wind shield in front of mine (If I can) to know his intention .
Old 10th February 2011, 15:44   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Using helmet for very short distances is not practical, atleast for me. One can argue, for argument's sake, but nothing comes out of it.
What you say is very very correct. I too don't take my helmet when doing very very short distances. But then I also don't take my bike. I walk!!
Old 10th February 2011, 15:59   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
... I too don't take my helmet when doing very very short distances. But then I also don't take my bike. I walk!!

You are saving fuel, and also polluting less
Old 10th February 2011, 15:59   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
What you say is very very correct. I too don't take my helmet when doing very very short distances. But then I also don't take my bike. I walk!!
Totally agree here. I have been in some of the worst two wheeler accidents and can vouch for a helmet.

In chronological order: Hero Puch, KB 125, RD 350 and Bullet 350. Technically the only bike which did not throw me off it was my Bullet 500; but then again it stalled more than ran.

The distance you plan to travel is irrelevant; the reason a helmet and a helmet only is advised for compulsory wear astride a two-wheeler itself says it all. I would gladly team that with a shin guard, elbow pads, mouthpiece and groin protector too; but not for 'very short distances'.

Walking has other health benefits too; and by the way: the RD incident was really a very short distance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks