Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2013, 16:48   #181
BHPian

Re: In-Car Rituals

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Besides most of the things you guys have already spoken about, theres this one thing that i always do that is i never start off in reverse directly. If there is a need to reverse out of a parking i slot into first gear move slightly ahead even if there is hardly and space and then reverse. I have no idea why i do it but it surely pisses my girl off every time .
Haha that's awesome ! My friend does the exact same thing. Never ever starts off in reverse. I cringe every time he takes his Laura too close the flower pots !
Old 14th July 2013, 10:38   #182
BHPian

For me it's really a 15 sec job.
1> Press the unlock button and get the phone and toll money out of the wallet.
2> Slide in the vehicle, put the phone and toll money in the center console, turn on the ignition, AC.
3> Select the music track & Drive off.
While back...
4> Park the vehicle & switch off the engine.
5> Put up the first gear, take the phone & loose change gathered through the tolls .
6> Slide off the vehicle and turn the lock on.
7> Going past the parking area, glance back if your 'follow me home' headlights are off or not.

Not sure why, but my parking neighbour usually goes round the vehicle, check all the four conrners 'and' the front & back, and then gets into the vehicle. Someone would think he is a very cautious person. But usually, one in around six weeks time, I find a new dent on either of the corners which gets duely repaired within a couple of weeks time and the car is parked usually diagonally in the available parking space . But then, I guess we can write a soap opera on the parking neighbour behaviors including my own (offcourse written by others) .
Old 14th July 2013, 11:57   #183
Senior - BHPian

My phone and wallet have their own, respective cubby holes. The garage keys have to go in the small coin pocket on the door. My sunglasses have to be in the upper glovebox. I have to centrally lock all the doors as soon as I begin driving. When leaving I check the handles after I have remotely locked the car. Sometimes twice.

If these things aren't done, I just don't feel right.

(Yep, ritualistic/ocd.)
Old 14th July 2013, 12:10   #184
Senior - BHPian

Here goes mine, I start the car, place my wallet, phone and connect it to bluetooth. Play my favorite track, seat belts on and then drive.

And while coming back and parking, I stop the car in parking, collect my wallet, phone, then switch off the car and walk away obviously after locking the car

Even if one of the above thing is not done properly, i sometime park the car on road side adjust everything and then drive.

P.S I have a diesel car, so have to wait 30 seconds each time, while starting and parking the car.
Old 14th July 2013, 12:17   #185
Senior - BHPian

My ritual -
  1. Unlock the car and keep the home keys in the door cubby hole
  2. Place mobile in the centre console and switch on the bluetooth headset.
  3. Start the car and drive off.
Also, if I have parked the car on the main road and I have to drive off late in the night (happens when I get late in office and I have to park the car on the Pune-Satara road ), I check if the car has all 4 wheels on the ground. Reason for this last ritual is that some weeks back, my cousin brother had parked his Santro on a main road in Aundh. When he returned late at night & he was about to drive off when he felt something amiss. On checking he found that 2 left side wheels next to curb had been stolen and the car was placed on bricks
Old 14th July 2013, 20:32   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Never thought this could be worthy of a thread! But now that I read, feel like there is a lot to be understood from the behavioural perspective. Thanks for starting this thread!

I have mine something like this - Everyday to work -
- unlock from a distance, belief is that by hearing the sound if any animal is taking shelter below car, knows something is happening and comes out
- from the left side open rear door and place my laptop bag - diagonally opposite to driver seat. Makes me go around the car and notice if something different like flat tyre or something like that.
- get inside, press clutch and break pedals, crank it. Ensure neutral and then release clutch and brake.
- keep mobile to charge, keep house keys in glovebox wrapped in cleaning cloth to avoid noise, select audio tracks for the mood, glance at mirrors to ensure they are where they should be, put on seat belts and then watch various meters on dash do their thing
- if everything is fine, leave the parking space with one honk - signalling my wifey that I am out and to watchman to keep the main gate open - I am close to exit gate!

When I park for the end of the day, I ensure I first put handbrake, neutral gear, all lights off and then let car idle for 30 seconds just like that. While car idles, check if the windows are rolled up! Stop car, extract my things like phone, house keys and laptop bags, shopping bags if any and then lock car twice! Yes, twice. I never ever fail to lock the car even if I am in my dreams

For the longer drives, it would little thorough checks like 30 mins before drive, check all under bonnet things, fluids, air pressure, trunk, all carry along things and then follow all other rituals like every other day!
Old 15th July 2013, 09:49   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Never thought this could be worthy of a thread! But now that I read, feel like there is a lot to be understood from the behavioural perspective. Thanks for starting this thread!
You're welcome ! The motivation came from my own rituals. I was like "wait a minute.. If i do such things, then I'm sure there are other Bhpians out there also who would do the same !"

I hope the mods join in and share their In-Car rituals !
Old 15th July 2013, 10:20   #188
BHPian

When i take the car out first time in the day i make a prayer to the gods and always make it a point to take the car forward before reversing it.All is about belief i suppose.
Old 15th July 2013, 10:38   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibear007 View Post
Not sure why, but my parking neighbour usually goes round the vehicle, check all the four conrners 'and' the front & back, and then gets into the vehicle.
A good practice. Avoids frustration later due to the acts of pranksters/vandals. I have been saved by this very ritual since I found pieces of broken glass (in which teashops serve tea) placed ahead of all four tyres of my car.
Old 16th July 2013, 14:13   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujatwork View Post
1. Is it advisable to do this for a Petrol engine too?
2. What the reasoning for idling please?
3. By this rationale, should one switch on the AC too only after engine is warm, or is it OK to start engine & AC in the same breath?
1. I used to do it on my Zen (petrol) too.

2. I think a minute or two of idling should be more than enough.
The reason - idling helps in warming-up the engine. There should be detailed explanation in one of the threads somewhere on our forum here.

3. I am not too sure about this, but then, I power-on the AC only after about 2 kms unless it is extremely hot\raining\dusty.
I think it would be good if the AC is powered-on after the car has run a bit.
For our health - it should be good if we let fresh air inside for a few minutes before

Hope I have answered to your satisfaction?
Old 16th July 2013, 20:41   #191
Senior - BHPian

A very interesting thread. Didn't know that it existed. Well, my son accuses me of suffering from acute OCD that involves my cars. Here are some of the quirks or eccentricities that I follow as a daily ritual:

1. Pat the pant's right pocket to see if both the car keys (original + duplicate) are present.

2. Open the car door and keep my mobiles on the driver seat.

3. Then take a round of the car to see everything is alright including tyre pressure.

4. Sit in the car, disengage gear-lock, turn on the ignition, fix the mobile to the mobile holder, check hairstyle the RVM, depress clutch & crank the engine.

5. Since it is a turbo diesel it has to idle for a minute, so in this period lower the front windows, turn on the fan, switch on the suprabhatam, wear sunglasses, switch on the GPS & the front camera, put-on the seat-belt, switch on the DRLs, engage gear and move out of the parking lot.

6. Always park in reverse (so that it is easier to drive out straight) and engage the gear-lock.

7. While parking I always try to find a spot where there is some obstruction behind like a wall or a tree or a fence or something similar.

8. Eatables are not allowed in my car at all.

9. AC is switched on only after the car has run for 1 km irrespective of how hot it is outside.

10. AC is switched off while climbing a gradient or waiting at a signal (believe me it is a major irritant to quite a lot of my co-passengers).

11. Once a week or ten days, open the bonnet and peer inside for atleast 5-7 minutes observing each & every engine part and then check all fluids.

Last edited by GTO : 19th July 2013 at 11:20. Reason: As requested
Old 16th July 2013, 22:17   #192
Senior - BHPian

My ritual - more when i park and get back home.
1. Park in slot, switch off A/C and Lights, remove my ID card and fling it over to the dash
2. Reduce Music volume
3. One last look at my office mails before i head home from the parking slot
4. Open the door, exit and pull out my laptop from the rear seat
5. Shut rear door, switch off engine and shut the front door

This way, it helps in my engine idling as well. Else, the follow me lights that comes on for 30 seconds after you switch off the engine and open the door is very annoying. So, one ritual, two things to go with it - Idling and negate the follow me home lights.
Old 29th May 2014, 17:44   #193
BHPian

Re: Your On Road Signature (Driving Habits)

Came across this interesting article - Signs of a car fanatic. Thought of sharing it here.
http://flutterinclutter.com/signs-car-love/

P.S. - I have 10 of these 14!
Old 30th May 2014, 14:52   #194
BHPian

I am happy to share and see fellow bhpians with quirky habits like mine.
First start of the day happens after a quick cat scan of the vehicle. Then a silent mumbling prayer in front of the diety idols. Chk headlight indicators and brake.
Very impt going forward and then backing if required.
Remote lock vehicle and pull the door handle once.
Turn vehicle right for first time drive of day.
Old 30th May 2014, 15:24   #195
BHPian

Re: Your On Road Signature (Driving Habits)

This is what I do:

Before Drive:
1. Clean the Wiper Blades. During monsoons, I tend to use the Wiper washer every now and then; hence I refill the water every week.
2. Clean the Windscreen both front and rear.
3. Clean both the ORVMs as clear as possible. I can't bear to see even a single spot on the RVMs.
4. Complete clean the Floor mats and the space below them - Front and Rear.
If we are starting out at 10:00AM i start this process from 9:15 :-)
5. Wear Seat Belts
6. Ensure passenger wears too.
7. Make a holy cross and pray that no one should face any problems because of me and vice versa on the road.

During Drive:
1. Check for Neutral, Start the car, roll down the windows and switch on the AC
2. Reverse the car out of parking, slot into first, and then second, after going for about 10 to 20 meters, roll up the windows.
3. I love giving way to Ambulances – I just feel so proud after doing it. Looking at me, I have seen couple of cars pull over to the side. I just love that feeling 
Even in City roads i try to maintain Lane discipline, hence I use lane change indictors
4. Stop at all Red signals and proceed only on green.
5. I don’t push the accelerator more than required and try to drive in the top gear mostly.
6. In B2B traffic I change to neutral and then change back to the first or second gear depending on the rolling speed of the car.
7. I never break queues. Earlier I never used to allow someone to break a queue and barge inside, but now-a-days I stop and allow them to join.
8. I play my music and sing along with it. Only if I’m alone  hehehe…
9. I never drive with high beam or fog lamps inside the city.
10. I strongly do a Defensive Driving.

After Drive:
1. Turn of lights(at nights)
2. Turn off AC. I don’t turn on the AC by pressing the “AC” button each time. The AC button is always on; instead I turn off the blower.
3. Switch off the engine and get out
4. Lock the car.

Last edited by gabrielthomas : 30th May 2014 at 15:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks