Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2011, 11:35   #1
BHPian

Mistake by me, but big Mistake by a Traffic COP

Ok, as requested, I am writing my experience with a cop, whom I took a ride with the vigilance department.

This thread will show my bad face, but it was my habit or the nature of the cops which made me like this.

Normally, I obey the traffic rule. Stopping my bike/car once I see the Red light. But I get caught with the cops till now for 3 reasons,
1. No helmet
2. Speeding (Normally 55-60kmph)
3. Speaking on speaker phone while driving car

In all the 3 scenarios, I have never paid the original fine, reason, normally I dont carry much cash in my pocket and the cops would finally ask whatever I have to pay and leave and I did so.

I am not encouraging traffic offence/bribing. But telling my story here, how it has went till date. And now I am very concerned, since my wife is waiting for me at home

This incident happened way back in 2008-2009. One of my friend bought a new vehicle the Unicorn and since I also own the same, he asked me to ride. We went to his college to pay his exam fees which is in OMR.

On return, on the rajiv gandhi salai, I wished to make use of the new vehicle. So, was driving at 60, and the road was free from crows too.

At the end, near to the madhya kailash temple, an SI and constable was catching the speedsters. I politely stopped when asked to and shown all documents. Unfortunately, we both were not carrying much cash and the fine was Rs. 200.

We pledged him a lot to leave us, then he routed to the SI. The SI was standing with his Bullet. We were standing opp to him and his bullet, and my hand was touching his Bullet.

Seeing me touching his bullet, he harshly said to remove my hand for which I obliged. He had also filed the challan and asked to sign it, sensing the trap, I was rejecting it, but the SI said, I am asking you to only sign and not asking the money since I have filled the challan and it has to be endorsed. Finally I signed.

In the mean time, a scorpio was also caught and the polite driver took to the SI to the scorpio, opened the back door, did something and he was let go.

Again, the SI came to us and we decided to pay the fine since he was stubborn and was debating who should go in search of the ATM.

While talking friendly, he suddenly got angry(reason not known) and pushed me lightly. Seeing this, my friend got furious and asked the SI to behave properly, for which he started to abuse us.

My mom is working in the Vigilance department and has a good name in the traffic polic department too and my friends dad is with ADMK in a party leader position.

So, since the cop started to abuse us to the core, we also picked up the fight and were saying that my family is in the vigilance department and my friends family in politics. Now, the cop got more furious and asked the constable to take the vehicle to the nearby station and asked to call anybody we want.

Unfortunately, since my friends dad was out of town, he was not reachable through phone. I called my mom and narrated the whole story and she said she will send a constable to my place.

We waited, in the mean time, our vehicle was taken to a tea shop and the constable went to the signal duty and the SI to relax in the tea shop.

Rest in next thread.
Old 6th April 2011, 11:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mistake by me, but big Mistake by a Traffic COP

Damn! Another suspense building thread. Is this hype and suspense really needed?
Old 6th April 2011, 11:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Dre@ms, why do you have to follow the Mega serial trend and make this into one of those threads where everyone keeps asking what next what next? Please use the Assembly line section, complete your story and upload it in one go.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...ml#post2289143
Old 6th April 2011, 11:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Damn! Another suspense building thread. Is this hype and suspense really needed?
He posted at 11:35 , and you posted at 11:39 . Wait!! he might just be writing a post which could have been taking the time.
Giving him the benefit of doubt.
Dre@ms complete it fast man!!
Old 6th April 2011, 12:45   #5
BHPian

Sorry pal.. Got some other job in between and had to abrupt in middle and pain in fingers too.

Here we go again.

The reason why we were furious is the kind of behaviour shown by the SI. He was behaving as if, he was the police department. Damn.

I am also going to term the vigilance department as VAC, because this is the term used by us and the constable throughout this incident.

As a sneak peek, this incident started at around 1130 and ended by 1800 hours.

I got a call from the VAC constable, whom I know asking me to handover the phone to the SI. I went to the SI and politely told him that the constable from VAC wants to talk to him. He immediately rejected and as usual in a harsh tone.

I informed the same and the constable asked me to wait and disconnected the call.

Again I got a call from the VAC inspector himself. At this point I have to tell one thing, this VAC department, constable and Inspector are so powerful, which was known to me only when I met them in person.

The inspector politely asked me to hand over the phone to the SI, which I tried, but the same harsh tone. As well as, he was abusing the VAC inspector too.

The inspector asked me to inform this statement to the SI.

Tell the inspector to keep your vehicle and get ready for the firing. This time, without closing the mouthpiece, I informed the same and the inspector said, I am ready and also asked the inspector to come here.

Hearing this with the actual harshness, made the inspector furious.

We left the tea shop and waited for the next call.

The constable called and asked to leave the vehicle there and come to their office near the adyar bridge, opp. to MGR Janaki college. The same was insisted by my mom too. So we took an auto and went to the VAC office. Outside the gate, the constable was waiting in his splendour and took us inside.

OMG!!! The VAC is like a island. There was a check-post, before which, the constable asked my friend to alight since 3 person on the bike is not allowed further.

Once we were in, he asked us to meet the inspector. This time, I accompanied him, asking my friend to wait, since my mom is their friend.

The constable asked me to comb my hair, unfrill the shirt cuffs and put all shirt buttons. I was getting nervous. Why this much build up for meeting a inspector???

Went in, the inspector was very soft and asked me what happened and I told him everything. There were 5 constable surrounding him and they were doing the job in a jiffy. I have never seen any person like that in my whole lifetime. This is the true meaning for respect.

An small example,
When the inspector was listening to me, he asked the constable who is the inspector for that area station and he called him through his walky talky. The moment he was asking the mobile number of the SI, the constable in a flash kept an paper and pen(opened) before the inspector. Meaning, the constable was so alert and knew the inspector will take his pen/paper and he immediately gave his. I was like WOW, and the respect nerves for these guys started to show up.

The inspector then called the mobile and it was switched off. Because, the SI has completed his duty and has went home for his lunch.

Couple of phone calls went on and the inspector asked us to wait and instructed the constable to take good care of us.

Once out, the constable asked us to have lunch and we went out for some juice alone, since it was already around 1500-1530 hours. We went in the constable bike. Roaming inside the VAC island was too good, every cop inside saluted us, they mistook us also as an cop, and riding the cop vehicle.

When we came back, got the information that the SI is coming here. WOW!!!

We waited there under the trees and the constable's back to their daily chores. People around there were coming to see me, basically to catch a glimpse of my mom's son. Giggle!!

At around 1700 hours, the SI came in his bullet. He was neatly dressed, meaning in new uniform(washed perfect) and with a little makeup. Can see powder marks in his face. The moment he came, all the constable surrounded him and took him before the inspector. At this time, the inspector was seated in a small room. The path to it was like going into a godown. Dont know why. I was called in and was surprised how well the SI behaved. Reason, will let you know at the end.

The inspector started to shout at him and asked him all questions. The SI was puzzled. I never knew what are the basic needs when charging a person on speeding. Some are below,
1. The road should be wide enough, the inspector was saying some number but I couldnt remember them.
2. Speed gun should be must.

Then the inspector asked where is the report from the speed gun machine, the SI, told, he wasnt carrying a speed gun. Then the inspector asked then how did he calculate the speed I was driving my bike. He was mum. The SI started to giggle, and bang the inspector shouted at him and he was silent.

Then the worst part happened. The SI said, that I myself has signed the challan that I was driving at 60. The challan was shown to the inspector too.

Then the inspector, warned the SI and asked to provide the vehicle at once. For which, he replied, the vehicle is at the kotturpuram police station.

And before leaving, he also pleaded, that he was not aware I was belonging to a police family and not knew this inspector was trying to speak with him in the beginning.

He told a sorry to us and left the place in a flash.

Then the inspector informed us to pay the fine, since we have signed the challan and then get the vehicle.

He also said, at this stage he was not able do anything, but not to worry, will trap in a bribing case.

We cam out, bidding thanks and good bye and asked the constable, why the SI was behaving well. The constable told, immediately after the SI abused the VAC inspector, the inspector has shouted at the Commissioner and in turn all the level of police were trying to catch the SI through mobile and walky talky and the SI refused to answer them.

Then the commissioner himself as come to the spot and gave left and right to the SI for his ill behavior.

The constable also told, that whatever may be reason, dont ever sign the challan if you feel the cops are not behaving properly. Lesson learnt.

We left from there and went to the kotturpuram police station, but no one was there and we waited. Nothing happened. We then went to the same spot and the SI was standing there in a jeep and we asked him where is the vehicle, for which he asked us to pay the fine and take the vehicle which was parked on the pavement opposite to madhya kailash. Surprised to see, the SI didnt show his face to us.

Took the bike and left with a smile.

We, the VAC people were furious only for the atrocious behavior of the SI. Infact, this SI is known to this kind of behavior it seems, for which, the police department had took some action a couple of times. Even the constable was abusing him of this kind of behavior. We knew, this guy would also have lost his peace of mind from the commissioner.

Even now, when I pass that spot, I search for that cop, but hadnt happened to see him.

Pardon me for the long post and thanks for reading.

The End.
Old 6th April 2011, 14:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Yawn . in nutshell you got caught for speeding ( OK he did not have speed gun and did a guesstimate) you pulled your connections and the SI was pulled up big deal.
Old 6th April 2011, 15:03   #7
BHPian

Basically we are not aware of rules and regulation and trafic police get advantage out of it.
Old 6th April 2011, 15:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
He posted at 11:35 , and you posted at 11:39 . Wait!! he might just be writing a post which could have been taking the time.
What exactly are you trying to say? If he is busy writing a post, why not compose it all in one piece and post it rather than creating unwanted suspense here by posting in bits and completing it with a "Rest in next thread" note?

And eliminating this kind of mega-serial posts was one of the aims of introducing the assembly line concept, I believe!

Quote:
Dre@ms complete it fast man!!
That was exactly what I was expecting, and your views are terribly contradicting.
Old 6th April 2011, 15:09   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with amit. But also suspect there is something more to the story that dre@ms is concealing. Why would a Police Commissioner get involved over a trivial speeding ticket? And what exactly was the "crime" of that SI that got him reprimanded so severely?

I would say cops who dare take on sons of influential people deserve special kudos. It's like that old joke. A young man, scion of an influential political family, is caught for speeding in his sports car. He acts all arrogant and gets into an argument with the cop, which results in the young man shouting at the cop: "Do you know who my father is?"
The cop shouts back without missing a beat: "No. Don't you?"

Last edited by noopster : 6th April 2011 at 15:11.
Old 6th April 2011, 15:16   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
"Do you know who my father is?"
The cop shouts back without missing a beat: "No. Don't you?"
Nice reply.

BTW I have read once Mistake is followed by Mistakes.
Anyway, instead of looking for the cop at the said location have an eye on the speed limit Have a safe journey.
Old 6th April 2011, 15:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
What exactly are you trying to say? That was exactly what I was expecting, and your views are terribly contradicting.
Chill man chill!!
When I posted I didn't realise it was 11:50 already and he might not be writing a post. Went to Edit but couldn't do it. I am surprised why!!
Anyways happy that the story has finished now.
Old 6th April 2011, 15:40   #12
BHPian

@noopster
Good one.

I expected the yawn and ZZzzz. And to avoid it, thought of separating my post. But unfortunately, it didn't happen. No concerns though.

The incident sparked the fire on us, for unruly behavior.
The incident sparked the fire on the constable for not speaking with him.
The incident sparked the fire on the inspector for not respecting him.
In turn, the VAC anger was shown on the police department(commissioner)
The commissioner fired the SI and constable.

Whatever, I loved it. But pity on the public, who doesn't have these kind of support.

Last edited by dre@ms : 6th April 2011 at 15:41.
Old 6th April 2011, 15:54   #13
BHPian

Nice story dre@ms. Please read on after the quoted post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I agree with amit. But also suspect there is something more to the story that dre@ms is concealing. Why would a Police Commissioner get involved over a trivial speeding ticket?
As he has mentioned in his story, the SI was rude over the phone with the VI. So, the VI in turn, conveyed the same to the CoP.
And what exactly was the "crime" of that SI that got him reprimanded so severely?
i) Not using a speed gun
ii)Misbehaving with polite people. (Doubtful)

I would say cops who dare take on sons of influential people deserve special kudos.
Only, and only IF the cop was correct.
But In this case, I fully agree with you that there might be something dre@ms might be concealing. He claims at 1st he didn't have enough money to pay the fine, and then
Quote:
Again, the SI came to us and we decided to pay the fine since he was stubborn and was debating who should go in search of the ATM.
This rings a bell doesn't it?? Besides, the SI was considerate enough to let go of them merely asking them to sign the challan. Did the SI get angry because of dre@ms' change of mind??

I feel bad for the SI, but only if we know all the facts, comment, we can.
Sigh all this over just Rs 200?
So dre@ms, could you please prove yourself?? Because I don't want people jumping to conclusions and this becoming a bashing up thread.

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 6th April 2011 at 15:56.
Old 6th April 2011, 16:09   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Nice story dre@ms. Please read on after the quoted post.

Only, and only IF the cop was correct.
But In this case, I fully agree with you that there might be something dre@ms might be concealing. He claims at 1st he didn't have enough money to pay the fine, and then
We were not carrying cash, so was debating who should go in search of an ATM to withdraw cash and give the SI

This rings a bell doesn't it?? Besides, the SI was considerate enough to let go of them merely asking them to sign the challan. Did the SI get angry because of dre@ms' change of mind??
Haaaa...I also fell for the same and signed the challan. Getting my sign issue was going on for 10 minutes. I knew, if I sign, I am deemed to pay him. But when cited the same, the SI replied, I am not asking cash, but sign. It was a trick played on us to get the sign.

I feel bad for the SI, but only if we know all the facts, comment, we can.
Sigh all this over just Rs 200?
So dre@ms, could you please prove yourself?? Because I don't want people jumping to conclusions and this becoming a bashing up thread.
People, we were ready to pay the fine, but what made this episode was the unruly behavior. Touching(Not leaning too) his bullet is a crime? For which, he can push me and abuse?

Damn him.
Old 6th April 2011, 16:12   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
. Touching(Not leaning too) his bullet is a crime? For which, he can push me and abuse?

Damn him.
No comments on what the cop did or you did.

BUT DON'T TOUCH ANOTHER GUYS BIKE.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed