Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2014, 14:18   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Lamborghini Huracán to be showcased in India, March 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
The 458 is not available in India anymore through any networks. The only way is to self import. When the 458 was available sometime ago, the basic exshowroom was similar to the Huracán. However, the standard equipment on the Huracán at the same price is much higher. And this is the all wheel drive remember. The real comparison should be rear wheel drive (supposed to be cheaper) Huracan vs the 458, whenever both come that is.

Of course customs duty increase has adversely affected the entire CBU car market, thanks to the previous central government.
OT : there seems to be no custom duty increase whatsoever! there is no govt. website which shows any increase. The basic duty remains at 100% plus plus surcharges making it close to 112% effectively.

The previous govt. did propose a rise - but there has been no rise whatsoever (or at least none of the govt. websites have ever shown any increase or maybe they aren't updated yet)

Maybe people who are directly involved with the dealerships can shed some light on the matter.
Old 23rd September 2014, 20:33   #47
BHPian

The white huracan has reached the showroom is this a customer car ? Since they already have the Rosso mars one for TDs
Lamborghini Huracán to be showcased in India, March 2014-imageuploadedbyteambhp1411484532.688152.jpg
source- http://instagram.com/p/tSohHNpJfn/
Old 24th September 2014, 12:22   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
OT : there seems to be no custom duty increase whatsoever! there is no govt. website which shows any increase. The basic duty remains at 100% plus plus surcharges making it close to 112% effectively.

The previous govt. did propose a rise - but there has been no rise whatsoever (or at least none of the govt. websites have ever shown any increase or maybe they aren't updated yet)

Maybe people who are directly involved with the dealerships can shed some light on the matter.
The basic customs duty stood at 60% for the longest time i can think of without being changed. In effect it used to be about 114% in total considering all the other taxes and service charges. There was a little bit of growth rate every year even in CBU cars in spite of such a high customs duty structure.

But UPA government had other ideas in mind. In the budget of 2012, they increased the customs duty from the basic 60% to 75%. This 15% affected the total increase in duty by a substantial margin (approximately 140+%) and the prices of all CBU cars went up. This adversely affected the business of CBU cars and the figures started falling down across all brands.

But UPA seemed to be on a mission to gather as much as they could as it was their last chance as the ruling party. In the budget of 2013, the basic customs duty was increased from 75% to 100% (an effective increase from 140odd% to 174odd%). This was undeniably the last nail in the coffin. Every dealer in the country selling CBU cars has seen the toughest period since the budget of 2013 and things are not looking pleasant for their future as well.
doctorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 16:10   #49
Senior - BHPian

OT : I honestly believe that they should further increase the import duty. this would make the manufacturers seriously consider putting up their plants here instead of anywhere else.

which would in turn not just boost the economy but would also reduce the prices substantially. but any idea why are the prices of cars which are now mostly assembled and produced in india still going sky high? the point being - c class, e class, ml, a4, a6, q5, q7 etc.

most of them are being made in india now (few parts are still imported from outside) - but still there is a HUGE price escalation over a couple of years
Old 26th September 2014, 19:52   #50
BHPian

Quote:
OT : I honestly believe that they should further increase the import duty. this would make the manufacturers seriously consider putting up their plants here instead of anywhere else.
I don't think with such minuscule numbers any supercar brand would ever manufacture their cars in India. It just won't make sense to start manufacturing as they hardly sell 20-30 units a month.
Old 27th October 2014, 14:18   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7992 View Post
I don't think with such minuscule numbers any supercar brand would ever manufacture their cars in India. It just won't make sense to start manufacturing as they hardly sell 20-30 units a month.
but with the way indians are buying these cars - india happens to be the next big market for most of the manufacturers.

maybe not build up the car from ground up - maybe assemble them here with locally sourced parts which match their standards.
Old 27th October 2014, 14:59   #52
BHPian

Quote:
but with the way indians are buying these cars - india happens to be the next big market for most of the manufacturers.

maybe not build up the car from ground up - maybe assemble them here with locally sourced parts which match their standards.
Definitely a huge no-no.

You must understand that with companies like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, etc. there is a certain pride that goes into their manufacturing.

Ferrari is a great example, the thought that Ferraris be assembled/manufactured anywhere but Maranello would be sacrilege. They'd rather not sell you a car than sell you one that hasn't come from the fabled Maranello factory. It's a certain heritage, a certain pride and yes, a giant ego, but it's what makes a Ferrari... A Ferrari.
Old 27th October 2014, 18:12   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy View Post
Definitely a huge no-no.

You must understand that with companies like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, etc. there is a certain pride that goes into their manufacturing.

Ferrari is a great example, the thought that Ferraris be assembled/manufactured anywhere but Maranello would be sacrilege. They'd rather not sell you a car than sell you one that hasn't come from the fabled Maranello factory. It's a certain heritage, a certain pride and yes, a giant ego, but it's what makes a Ferrari... A Ferrari.
hehehe

I just re-read my own posts of a few days back - my point was for the not such super cars like the basic mercs and beemers and audis.
the numbers they are doing are HUGE and will only increase if they set up units here in india.

and Stiggy brother - I am sorry to say this but ferrari or no ferrari - all these guys are in a business of making money. The only heritage they would want to follow is their bottom line - and I am sure they will go to no end to keep it away from the red.

if an indian company can own and turn the profits for a brit giant - then i strongly believe in the automobile world - anything IS possible!
Old 27th October 2014, 18:50   #54
BHPian

Quote:
hehehe

I just re-read my own posts of a few days back - my point was for the not such super cars like the basic mercs and beemers and audis.
the numbers they are doing are HUGE and will only increase if they set up units here in india.

and Stiggy brother - I am sorry to say this but ferrari or no ferrari - all these guys are in a business of making money. The only heritage they would want to follow is their bottom line - and I am sure they will go to no end to keep it away from the red.

if an indian company can own and turn the profits for a brit giant - then i strongly believe in the automobile world - anything IS possible!
To address your points about the German trio manufacturing here:

They *mostly* are. That is, if you count assembly as a part of the manufacturing process (which it is, kind of). Most German automobiles are, with the exception of extremely high end models, being assembled in India.

Now, here's the quirky bit, my Bimmers' VIN indicates that it was manufactured in Dingolfing, and lists CKD as a "feature" included in the "options" section.

Now, if you're talking about moving production such that, both manufacturing and assembly occurs within India, well, I quite frankly don't think that'll fly. Why? Because consider the investment required. You'd need to set up supply chains, employ thousands of people, and on top of that market like crazy, because when news hits that BMWs/Audis/Mercs are now "desi-fied", the media will make a hulla-bulloo about it and this will impact their brand image negatively. Remember, brand image plays an important role in our materialistic market.

CKDs still fly because they're technically built elsewhere and snap together here, in what is mostly an automated process.

--

About Ferrari:

Quite simply put, no one is going to buy a Ferrari made in China. No one is going to buy a Lamborghini made in India. These products are meant to be at the high end of the market. I highly doubt they would prostitute themselves by selling sub-$100k cars just so they can make some money. Remember, again, Brand Image. Very important at the high end of the market. This is more so compounded by the fact that each company has it's parents to turn to for $$$, and therefore don't really need to sell sub-$100k cars, not to mention the fact that they already turn massive profits.
Old 28th October 2014, 16:17   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To address your points about the German trio manufacturing here:

They *mostly* are. That is, if you count assembly as a part of the manufacturing process (which it is, kind of). Most German automobiles are, with the exception of extremely high end models, being assembled in India.

Now, here's the quirky bit, my Bimmers' VIN indicates that it was manufactured in Dingolfing, and lists CKD as a "feature" included in the "options" section.

Now, if you're talking about moving production such that, both manufacturing and assembly occurs within India, well, I quite frankly don't think that'll fly. Why? Because consider the investment required. You'd need to set up supply chains, employ thousands of people, and on top of that market like crazy, because when news hits that BMWs/Audis/Mercs are now "desi-fied", the media will make a hulla-bulloo about it and this will impact their brand image negatively. Remember, brand image plays an important role in our materialistic market.

CKDs still fly because they're technically built elsewhere and snap together here, in what is mostly an automated process.
I am aware that these guys are assembling the vehicles here, but don't you think they are now pricing the cars ridiculously high inspite of them being assembled here?
as far as the brand image of indian made products is considered - I think it's about time we get over our pre 1947 mentality that anything made in india is crappy and anything "imported" is WOW!!

Indian manufacturers are almost at par with their counterparts (if not better) with an added advantage of lower manpower cost which brings the cost of manufacturing substantially lower.
and isn't this funny - we indians believe automation is better, but we go gaga over "hand-built/hand-crafted" vehicles available in the niche segment.
you will be surprised with the kind of artisanship and craftsmanship that is available in india - but just not properly channelised.

on another note - I do know quiet a few manufacturers who are supplying some critical engine components to the germans, italians and americans for their vehicles. and guess what? they are single source suppliers for these companies. which in the automobile world means - Utterly Reliable!

so if it's desified - I would definitely be proud of it!!

Quote:
About Ferrari:

Quite simply put, no one is going to buy a Ferrari made in China. No one is going to buy a Lamborghini made in India. These products are meant to be at the high end of the market. I highly doubt they would prostitute themselves by selling sub-$100k cars just so they can make some money. Remember, again, Brand Image. Very important at the high end of the market. This is more so compounded by the fact that each company has it's parents to turn to for $$$, and therefore don't really need to sell sub-$100k cars, not to mention the fact that they already turn massive profits.
this I agree to some extent - the snob value is a funny little thing.
Old 28th October 2014, 16:30   #56
BHPian

Quote:
I am aware that these guys are assembling the vehicles here, but don't you think they are now pricing the cars ridiculously high inspite of them being assembled here?
as far as the brand image of indian made products is considered - I think it's about time we get over our pre 1947 mentality that anything made in india is crappy and anything "imported" is WOW!!

Indian manufacturers are almost at par with their counterparts (if not better) with an added advantage of lower manpower cost which brings the cost of manufacturing substantially lower.
and isn't this funny - we indians believe automation is better, but we go gaga over "hand-built/hand-crafted" vehicles available in the niche segment.
you will be surprised with the kind of artisanship and craftsmanship that is available in india - but just not properly channelised.

on another note - I do know quiet a few manufacturers who are supplying some critical engine components to the germans, italians and americans for their vehicles. and guess what? they are single source suppliers for these companies. which in the automobile world means - Utterly Reliable!

so if it's desified - I would definitely be proud of it!!

this I agree to some extent - the snob value is a funny little thing.

As true as what you said is, there's a simple reason that Tata, Mahindra or Maruti haven't put out a single premium saloon in the +40L bracket.

They can't compete against the snob value.

It's a pitfall of our society, indeed, but the market is what it is, sadly. Perhaps in a distant future we'll see Indian carmakers competing in the same class as the Europeans, but for this decade, I highly doubt any such thing is going to occur.

This is why I, personally, think we can't even begin to compare the Indian Trio to the German Trio. They do NOT compete in the same segment of vehicles. When they are identically priced, then we can begin a comparo. Until then, comparing a sub 15L car to a 30L+ car simply isn't fair.

Ignore the niche section. The car market can't be judged by such a small sample size. Make no mistake, automation is the way forward for the masses. Craftmanship and artisan value only begin being appreciated in cars 1cr+, which, again, makes up a tiny fraction of the car market.
Old 28th October 2014, 18:32   #57
BHPian

This is by far the best looking exotics in India. I saw it the other day near India Gate in a off white cream shade. Man, gorgeous she was! For me, she even beats Aventador in the terms of looks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks