Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2009, 15:33   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Not sure about that,because I've seen sumo(s) left at idle for almost a night after the engine gets a re-bore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
As per the news reports ground handling staff contacted the manufacturer and idled on advice of manufacturer .
Any way I read in Jaysmokesleaves threads he slept in his Safari keeping AC on and engine on idle for whole night.
Yes I know that manufacturer wanted to idle the car.

In both Suma and Safari,I believe that they should have been in an open space where more air circulation and some cold air would be present but in case of Lambo they have kept the car in an closed / partially closed area where the air circulation would be minimal. I am saying this based on report that sprinklers were in action when the smoke was sensed by the smoke sensor(not like in ATM(Tamil movie) / final destination 4 when they show fire on sprinkler it will start sprinkle the water ) .

if Jaysmokesleaves have done the same thing in an closed garage he would have been no more,because there are few cases happened in chennai due to sleeping in vehicle with AC on in closed garage .

Last edited by Sudan_NFS : 25th November 2009 at 15:36.
Old 25th November 2009, 15:44   #62
Senior - BHPian

what a complete and idiotic waste!
sad to read this.
Old 25th November 2009, 15:49   #63
Senior - BHPian

I still can't believe why a car catches fire while being in idle condition.
Does low speed running of Lambo also catches fire?
Yes I agree many Lambo has caught fire, but during a crash but not when idle. The same happened with BMW-7 series in recent past.

There are situations where Swift was running whole night with AC on sleeping till morning 5.30 am.

Smells fishy.
Old 25th November 2009, 16:09   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mubeen View Post
some pics after the burnout
thanks for the pics dude. she looks pretty much of a write off!!

P.S: you should have uploaded those pics with a watermark, as AFAIK these are the first pics to come up anywhere, and you would get all the credit!!
Old 25th November 2009, 18:46   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bivin View Post
thanks for the pics dude. she looks pretty much of a write off!!

P.S: you should have uploaded those pics with a watermark, as AFAIK these are the first pics to come up anywhere, and you would get all the credit!!
Those pics were not taken by me bud. A friend of mine works for the cargo division of etihad at the airport. Have mentioned that in the previous set of pics that i've posted.
Old 25th November 2009, 19:33   #66
BHPian

The main difference between our Sumos and Safaris and this car is the nature of the Engine and the Cooling system. Anyone who had owned or experienced a high-speed/performance engine will know that they produce a lot of heat and needs proper air-flow to cool off. The problem is also with space/weight constraints while designing the cooling system. That's why, what works on a 8-10L Rupee car will not be applicable for a 1-2Cr Rupee car.

Also, the fire could have originated anywhere, even with the Cat convertor which normally runs very high temperatures.

I have always been advised to watch out for plastic covers and news papers etc getting stuck on the under carriage because these can easily catch fire when they get in contact with the exhaust system, more so when it is close to the headers/cat con. It is quiet possible that the headers were red-hot after running for a whole night, when even a simple plastic cover (we have them everywhere in our country, don't we?) blown by wind got under the car and caught fire.

The possibilites are endless if you think about it..... before running into conspiracy theories as a knee-jerk reaction.
quicksilver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2009, 13:43   #67
Team-BHP Support

Oh my God! I'm feeling so sorry! That's just devastating! That poor, poor Indigo could have been saved!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th November 2009 at 13:45.
Old 27th November 2009, 20:09   #68
BHPian

Oh my God! I pity the Lambo. Rest in burnt pieces.

I'm not sure if idling a Lamborghini is a good way to drain the fuel. Wouldn't have high revs done the trick? Besides, why do you have a runway for?

@Nitrous: Appreciate your cursing skills!
Old 27th November 2009, 22:34   #69
Team-BHP Support

Am sure it can be repaired. May not be fit for selling on but good enough to be used as a development hack or demo car
Old 28th November 2009, 12:23   #70
BHPian

problem solved!

it isnt as bad. replace the engine and get it painted. im sure we have some esteem or zen engines around just tell others you are very particular about sticking to the speed limit while driving
Old 28th November 2009, 13:05   #71

This is a bit odd, I had seen a Lamb in Singapore, It had a Shadowman's automatic fire suppression system. I was told this was a standard for any race cars, not sure if the same is for off production line cars..

I don't think this is just a burn due to idling, there must be many electronic cutoffs if engine exceeds critical temperatures, worse situation it could seize. for a fire to happen. fuel has to come in contact with the fire and there must be sufficient O2 to burn.

what a shame though !
Old 28th November 2009, 14:36   #72
Senior - BHPian

Well! a car worth 2.5 cr totally turned into crap in just few minutes.
I am still very scared to see the expressions of the person who owned it.
Old 28th November 2009, 15:06   #73
Team-BHP Support

Not that bad afterall, unless the chassis warp has happened. Can be recovered with a very expensive insurance bill i guess.
Old 28th November 2009, 15:14   #74
Senior - BHPian

Real sad sight indeed. But how can they afford to be so Irresposible with a freight this costly. Will Lambo get any right to sue the Handling authority?? I doubt on that, As it was people at Lambo only who advised them the recipe to empty the Fuel. But, when overheating wont these New Generation ECU Engines have any programmes to shut the engine down ??
Old 28th November 2009, 15:34   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Real sad sight indeed. But how can they afford to be so Irresposible with a freight this costly. Will Lambo get any right to sue the Handling authority?? I doubt on that, As it was people at Lambo only who advised them the recipe to empty the Fuel. But, when overheating wont these New Generation ECU Engines have any programmes to shut the engine down ??
There is no concrete reason behind the issue that these New generation Lambo. was overheated because its a supersports car and is capable of handlin a Ton more stress on its engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks