Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2011, 18:01   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Hyosung GT650R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melroyal View Post
Thanks for the reply,what's the cost per liter of Motul 5100?

Quote:

Now i will be switching to Motul 100% synthetic ester 7100 20w50. 2 liters cost me 1200 bucks after discount. I did not see any reason to opt for the more expensive Motul Factory Line 300V Double Ester 100% Synthetic oil. This costs around 1k per liter. Maybe i'll opt for this once i take the bike to the track.
Quote:

motul semi synth 5100 15W50 retails at around 550 bucks a liter.
Hope this helps; data from http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2465271
Old 20th August 2011, 02:17   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Thanks bro.After the 1st service oil change done the engine is a bit smoother and revs more freely.
Was thinking of switching from ELF engine oil to MOTUL brand for the 2nd service.
Old 20th August 2011, 07:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

chillax on Motul man. Stick to factory specs - in India, courtesy some group think on xBHP we have hyped Motul as the best thing since sliced bread!!

I hope you do understandthat your warranty is tied to doing everything as per the company specs - service on the right time, with the oil changes at the specified duration WITH the specified oil. Why bother if it ain't broken?
Old 20th August 2011, 09:13   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
chillax on Motul man. Stick to factory specs - in India, courtesy some group think on xBHP we have hyped Motul as the best thing since sliced bread!!

I hope you do understandthat your warranty is tied to doing everything as per the company specs - service on the right time, with the oil changes at the specified duration WITH the specified oil. Why bother if it ain't broken?
I respectfully disagree with your view above.

The bajaj dtsi oil is poured into the ninja 250's as a factory recommended oil but only after i switched to Motul i realized that its far better and the engine was feeling more refined and rough edges vanished and acceleration was smoother.

There are lots of owners who have stayed with the bajaj oil and faced sluggish engine response and finally moved to Motul.

So saying that its a hype created by xbhp or any other forum is just a blind post. I'm not supporting any particular forum here but what choices do we have with oil and anything else in the biking scene? Apart from Motul, Shell, OWS and a couple more brands there are no options in the market. I switched to Motul FS oil as Shell FS is not available in the recommended grade for my bike. Bajaj has no qualms about this so no issues on warranty being void at least for the ninja owners.

P.S. Motul 7100 Fully Synthetic 10W40 is a standard factory fill in the Ninja 650R AFAIK.
Old 20th August 2011, 09:55   #35
Senior - BHPian

That is another way of looking at it. I don't deny the Motul, esp the fully synth is really smooth. But back in FY08, my P180's engine head started leaking after about 1500km of running on semi synth (aronud 50k old back then). i'm not being too technical but I've seen far too many blind recommendations on Motul and while I understand where you're coming from - I am a practical example that at times, there may be unwanted side effects. With a high end bike, the risks are that much higher - so caveat emptor is all i'd say.
Old 20th August 2011, 10:11   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But back in FY08, my P180's engine head started leaking after about 1500km of running on semi synth (aronud 50k old back then). i'm not being too technical but I've seen far too many blind recommendations on Motul
I have run my ninja for over 10,000 kms with Motul's semi synth oil and have no issues (touchwood if i must). Just got the 3rd service done last weekend and the bike is as good as new and as smooth as its just out of the showroom with even with 14,000 kms on it.

Engine oil is one of the factors that can lead to premature breakdown of an engine.... but its not the sole reason. Engine can breakdown due to improper maintenance (oil not changed as per recommended interval), oil grade not matching requirements, oil was not genuine, etc, etc.

If motul oil's were that bad, they would have run out of business long back.

I'm sure there are fake motul's in the market. thats probably why you are wary of the motul brand. One of the ninja owners on another forum used motul which caused some minor issues in his bike and turned out that the oil was a fake motul one.

So I get mine from a distributor directly and this is an authorized motul and yamaha spares distributor.
Old 20th August 2011, 21:58   #37
BHPian

Quote:
That is another way of looking at it. I don't deny the Motul, esp the fully synth is really smooth. But back in FY08, my P180's engine head started leaking after about 1500km of running on semi synth (aronud 50k old back then). i'm not being too technical but I've seen far too many blind recommendations on Motul and while I understand where you're coming from - I am a practical example that at times, there may be unwanted side effects. With a high end bike, the risks are that much higher - so caveat emptor is all i'd say.
oil leaking in your pulsar was due to faulty seals which is known in most pulsars . these leaks dont happen that frequently with ester and double ester based oils like motul on on other bikes like rtrs , zma's , fz 16's ,r15's , gs 150r , ninja 250's , unicorns etc . calling motul oils overhyped is just being ignorant . just because you personally did not experience good effects from motul doesnt make the much larger majority wrong beacause they have personally experienced motul semi -synth and synth to be much better .
Old 21st August 2011, 00:43   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
oil leaking in your pulsar was due to faulty seals which is known in most pulsars . these leaks dont happen that frequently with ester and double ester based oils like motul on on other bikes like rtrs , zma's , fz 16's ,r15's , gs 150r , ninja 250's , unicorns etc . calling motul oils overhyped is just being ignorant . just because you personally did not experience good effects from motul doesnt make the much larger majority wrong beacause they have personally experienced motul semi -synth and synth to be much better .
You are alleging faulty seals. Do you have any technical data or practical anecdotes? Anyone can talk trash about any brands the way they like.

I am saying something very simple - given my experience (and there were a few other pulsar owners with similar experience), therefore, Motul synth oils aren't a silver bullet which works in 100% of the cases - i.e to be tried only after enough research.

And given, the cost of these bikes, a *safer* approach within warranty period may be to stick with the OEM stuff (unless its complete crap ofc).

PS: Its like medicines. 99.9% people may have no side effects - but that doesn't mean one shouldn't warn about side effects suffered by the unlucky 0.1%
Old 21st August 2011, 08:50   #39
BHPian

Guys,
Melroyal and gang..
Had an extended test ride of the GT650R. After almost 4 years, I am getting on to a super bike (an accident put me away from biking world). My experience is from my Buell riding days. I had initially booked CBR250 and then cancelled when I realized GT650R and Ninja are coming to India. With me back to India was at Eswari motors,Adyar, Chennai to check the GT650R. Following are my quick observations, need input from the owners so I can decide on the purchase

Cons:
1. The finish and the quality of plastics leaves a lot to be desired on 5 lakhs plus bike
2. The electrical (protruding connectors seen by naked eye) and the lethargic way in which the bike has been assembled left a bad taste in my mouth. I can understand this is not a CBU but still Garware needs to get its socks up
3. The technical knowledge of the service engineer who was supposedly trained by Hysoung was lets says below average. Even simple questions like torque or EFI settings was answered by a blank stare. When I asked him why not use semi sythetic for first 5k run-in and do a freq oil change, he wasn't able to substantiate the logic. He only kept saying Hysoung told us so!!! (and may be I make money @ 1200rs/ lit of synthetic oil!)
4. The test bike gears were pathetic to say the least, I had to literally fight to get the gears changed!!!!!!!!!! I am assuming this eases out. Need input on this please, this is a major turn off for me.
5. I felt the EFI was working in a sporadic manner below 5-6k Zone. I felt as if the bike was switching on and off, as if fuel supply was cut off and switched on. Did not find it free like my Buell or the Honda
6. Vibration was far more than my previous bikes, does this settle with time? Any aftermarket addons you guys came across?
7. None of my questions on spare part pricing was answered, they kept saying we are yet to receive the pricing list!!! When asked about what will be the expected maintenance cost, they said fairing is around 60k etc!!! I told them it aint maintenance cost, I am talking about routine maintenance like clutch plates, brake shoes, cables etc...no answer

Pros:
1. The styling looks really awesome except for the freaking indicators which seems to have been taken from a Sunny! They should have integrated it in the fairing
2. The grunt of the V-Twin was hard, unfinished, and rowdish if I may say so, kind of liked it better than the more refined bike more like my RD350
3. Color choices are excellent, Ninja should learn from this, not everyone loves green!

Whats with the complimentary stuff Garware is giving? I felt insulted when he told me we will get a Vega offroading type helmet, some stupid googles as starter kits!!! Are they serious? How do they expect a rider, riding a GT650R with that stupid offroading helmet? I felt cheap and insulted by this Garware indian mentality!!! They could have just given a good t-shirt and a cap and be done with it!!!!

All in all, I have a mixed feeling about this bike, though I loved the bike, the technical incompetency packed with Garware's amatuer approach is making me think "Wait, watch, and then decide!!!"

Sorry for the long post...
Old 21st August 2011, 12:15   #40
BHPian

Quote:
You are alleging faulty seals. Do you have any technical data or practical anecdotes? Anyone can talk trash about any brands the way they like.

I am saying something very simple - given my experience (and there were a few other pulsar owners with similar experience), therefore, Motul synth oils aren't a silver bullet which works in 100% of the cases - i.e to be tried only after enough research.

And given, the cost of these bikes, a *safer* approach within warranty period may be to stick with the OEM stuff (unless its complete crap ofc).

PS: Its like medicines. 99.9% people may have no side effects - but that doesn't mean one shouldn't warn about side effects suffered by the unlucky 0.1%
you can go through pulsar ownership threads on xbhp to know that . many people who experienced oil leaks on their pulsars after using motul but did not have any leaks when they changed the seals and head gaskets . you can also try the same and im sure there wont be any leaks . and if you are saying motul is just hyped to be the best then which one according to you is the best in india ?

Last edited by Mr. Nobody : 21st August 2011 at 12:17.
Old 24th August 2011, 12:35   #41
BHPian

Quote:
OK bro.The company hasn't recommended any specific brand for the engine oil change.They have only mentioned the grade of oil to be maintained is 10W40 at regular service intervals.
Old 24th August 2011, 13:58   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Guys,
Melroyal and gang..
Had an extended test ride of the GT650R. After almost 4 years, I am getting on to a super bike (an accident put me away from biking world). My experience is from my Buell riding days. I had initially booked CBR250 and then cancelled when I realized GT650R and Ninja are coming to India. With me back to India was at Eswari motors,Adyar, Chennai to check the GT650R. Following are my quick observations, need input from the owners so I can decide on the purchase
All in all, I have a mixed feeling about this bike, though I loved the bike, the technical incompetency packed with Garware's amatuer approach is making me think "Wait, watch, and then decide!!!"

Sorry for the long post...
I would suggest that you visit another dealer ; maybe at Bangalore or so.

And the issues you faced are typical RE issues
Old 24th August 2011, 15:24   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I would suggest that you visit another dealer ; maybe at Bangalore or so.

And the issues you faced are typical RE issues
JK: Have been living RE for last 10+ years now Not on a 5.5 lakhs bike pls!
Old 24th August 2011, 15:31   #44
Senior - BHPian

There is no Garware dealer at Blore yet. There is one guy in blore who owns a GT650R and he goes/will go to Chennai for servicing.
Old 24th August 2011, 16:15   #45
BHPian

Firstly congratulations on your superbike , wish you many safe kms on it.

When I enquired about the bike here in Chennai Garware Motors Indira Nagar, they said they have delivered 16 bikes as of now and they have 9 more booking for the GT and they delivered 9 bikes for the cruiser.

Also when I enquired for the service schedule and costs he told me every 4000kms or every 2-3 months which ever is earlier, and average service cost is 4000-5000 each time, I was shocked. I told him that's around 20,000/year which is twice the service bill of my Laura and to which he wittedly replied, 'this is a premuim bike sir'

Last edited by xtremeshock : 24th August 2011 at 16:16.

Most Viewed