Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2013, 22:42   #46
BHPian

Re: A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
After reading this thread i have started dreaming about owning a HD
One thing i wanted to know, how much does a regular service costs and also the spare and all are they easily available.
I think it might not be possible for most of people like us to own a high end car , but i guess we can surely own a bike like a HD one day for sure.

I hope this thread becomes a bible for all HD related stuff .
Cheers

Thanks mate! I too accelerated my plans after reading a tread in here! U got company...

A regular service for a sportster including changing of all fluids and fuel filter costs about 4.5 K. As mentioned earlier the service interval is 8000 Kms, after the first service @ 1600 kms.

Fast moving spares are available, but it could be a 90 day wait if you face an uncommon niggle. H-D India should probably look at setting up a spares warehouse in the country rather than ordering on demand. But this should not be a put-off on your Harley ownership plans.

About the bible..i hope too

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustus23 View Post
But I intend to buy from Delhi! Will the Ahmedabad dealer help out with the servicing?
Yes of course! You can get ur H-D serviced at any of the dealerships. The Ahmedabad dealer is a very passionate guy; your bike will be tops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Probably I will stir a debate here.

After a lot of discussion at home, I decided to go for a HD. Have owned multiple RE's in the past and currently have one too.

So I went to the HD India site and provided my details and the name of the model I am interested in.

Promptly an automated response came that the concerned HD Dealer will get in touch with me.

The next day, again promptly, I get a mail enclosed below. There was no call from the dealer nor an offer to call or any interest shown to follow up.

And I lost interest completely and dropped the idea. Perhaps I will use the money saved by dropping the decision to upgrade my proposed car purchase to a Freelander/Q5.

Not sure if it is the same for other cities. But I prefer a little pre-sales follow-up. Even a mass-seller like Maruti does that. And premium brands like Germans do that.

Here is the mail I got.

"Greeting’s from XXXXX Harley-Davidson, Bangalore.

We look forward for having a long lasting relationship with you.

Please find the enclosed attachments of Harley Davidson price list and product brochure link.

http://www.harley-davidson.in/harley...s-brochure.pdf

Please feel free to call or write to us for any further assistance. "

Mods: Kindly delete if you find the content in-appropriate. I am just sharing my experience and views. No offense meant to anyone. Thanks

No debate here mate! I can completely understand.

I did have a very forgettable experience in Dec 2010 when i walked into an H-D showroom almost ready to scribble at the dotted line. But had to go back after a disappointing experiencing with a bunch of cold sales guys, who knew nothing much about bikes and had looked liked they didn't need me as a customer. I had to beat a hasty retreat with my friends i had lugged along - quite embarrassing!

I could muster enough courage to go back again after 6 months; and I was pleasantly surprised! Obviously someone was doing their job; the sales guys were warm and friendly, offered test rides, explained a lot about the bikes and pocketed my cheque.

Things have improved a great lot now, the dealer in Hyderabad has an excellent service crew backing us up; a bunch of very helpful sales guys and an overall good vibe around it.

You should probably pay a visit to the dealer once again and check out whats in store. You could also get in touch with one of the HOG officers, the showroom has a HOG board with the names of the officers, they will definitely help you!

I completely agree with you that you that the dealer should have followed up and put your wheels on the road by now. What a shame!
josepeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 08:38   #47

Hi Jose! Does the Harley dealers offer any discounts on the bikes/ accessories???
Old 10th March 2013, 12:58   #48
BHPian

I wonder Why the Roadster 883R has vanished from HD India & well as International website. Can anybody please shed some light , It was this month end I was to book this for me.
Old 10th March 2013, 17:47   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Jose! Does the Harley dealers offer any discounts on the bikes/ accessories???

You may get discounts for bikes that the dealers find hard to push off the shop; more likely to be the expensive models. There is no offer on the bikes as a norm.

Accessories? Yes! HOG members do get them from time to time. In fact our local dealership is offering a 20% off on accessories at the moment.
josepeter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 02:00   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
I wonder Why the Roadster 883R has vanished from HD India & well as International website. Can anybody please shed some light , It was this month end I was to book this for me.
It is not just in India. Visited Harley Davidson USA and Italy websites. The 883R has been removed from the product line-up on the websites for these countries as well.

My best guess would be that Harley Davidson are doing a global overhaul of their 2013 range of motorcycles.
Old 12th March 2013, 20:10   #51
BHPian

Really appreciate the time put in by you to post this thread really good insights.
I booked have booked the Blue Iron 883 in feb and expecting delivery in the next two weeks. Looking forward to learning more about this dream machine.
Old 13th March 2013, 10:57   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat.joshi View Post
It is not just in India. Visited Harley Davidson USA and Italy websites. The 883R has been removed from the product line-up on the websites for these countries as well.

My best guess would be that Harley Davidson are doing a global overhaul of their 2013 range of motorcycles.

Yes Bharat! looks like the XR1200 is off the list as well.
Old 13th March 2013, 14:22   #53
BHPian

Excellent Guide,a lot of information provided. A potential FXDB buyer myself.Would you please tell me how long does the stock rear tire last? and what is the widest i can go with a new one on the stock rims and stock swingarm?I have a thing for low slung,wide wheeled,ape hangered scoot.Lot of ideas customizing and bringing that look but lack technical knowledge.
Old 14th March 2013, 17:51   #54
Senior - BHPian

This video should be seen/HEARD by HD fans and wanna be owners.

Few queries now.

The stock bike; low rider, can take a pillion? And pillion gets foot pegs by default? If not, what all is needed?
jkdas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 08:39   #55
Senior - BHPian

ANother ownership video. The owner had 2-3 videos. Shows the accessories he has added as time went by. Helpful one
jkdas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 10:17   #56

Josepeter, Superb article written with so much passion... i can see the passion for the Harley's, would request you to reply to my message... planning to buy a 2nd had Superlow, would like to know if i can still be a part of the HOG inspite of buying a 2nd hand HD.

And are all the pictures your modifications done to the Superlow? if so the Motorcycle looks great!!!

Warm Regards
Gautam R
Old 20th December 2013, 15:33   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
ANother ownership video. The owner had 2-3 videos. Shows the accessories he has added as time went by. Helpful one http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=D1htTN-uleU
Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
HOG meets up for a fellow HOG'ians wedding at Thrissur

Wishing many more happy miles together for Joju and Ines !

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=ctHa1tZT_cA
Thats a great video that too from Indian HOGS!
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 01:23   #58

Hi Jose!!! Finally booked my Fat Boy and will get the delivery on 13th Jan..... Yipee!!!!! Will be riding to IBW on 14th... Hope to meet you there.... Please advice on helmet to go with the bike.... Been adviced not to go for the Harley ones... is LS2 a good option???

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks

Last edited by moralfibre : 2nd January 2014 at 06:50.
augustus23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 19:10   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Please advice on helmet to go with the bike... Been adviced not to go for the Harley ones... is LS2 a good option?
I corrected the four dots to now three- as three are a legitimate expression of grammar in the English Language.
TO HELMETS-
LS2 is at one end of the spectrum while at the other end like SHOEI GT series, and the ARAI RX or the Corsair Series- which would set you back between 65000-80000 depending on model and replicas of particular riders. Having given you the spread financially- here is the user issues-
1. NO one can tell you which helmet fits you- you have to try ten helmets and see which one fits you firmest. The helmet should have no wobble, or ability to lift- which means that it should not lift off your face and make you peer down (imagine here by lifting your head backwards, nose to ceiling)- The cheek pads are a must and should not slide up and down your cheeks when you push up the chin with your fingers- it should want to raise your chins along with it- which means that the fit should be firm, almost a tad on the tight side.
2. Short comings of helmets are that
- if they are not well designed, they will lift upward- and you cannot test this on Bullet or a Pulsar, you have to ride it out in the open on your Harley
- poor fittings, like Scorpio doors, will allow air inside with an irritating whistling sound, which when you will do 10-12 hours on your Harley, will annoy the daylights out of you, and you will land up riding with ear plugs
- poorly made fittings will enable the visor not to sit firmly on the closed postion and causing a very dangerous phenomenon- at speeds between 120-145 the visor snaps open- and the open visor catches the rushing air and almost yanks the helmet backward causing a very very critical moment in your riding career.
- improper ventilation, besides the obvious discomfort also causes fatigue and the more dangerous thing- fogging due to breath in cold weather, and also during the rains which in India last for 3-4 months a year.
3. SNELL and DOT testing- there is just no end to which is good, bad, better, and on and on. Which brings me to a point, that it is rumoured - rather strongly- that HJC makes Harley helmets, of which there are half, modular and full face available. These are the same that H-D sells around th world, and am sure they pass atleast some mandatory testing and meet/exceed some minimum certification standards. So if anyone asks you not to buy the helmets- hmmmm- I would discount such advise.
4. Try the LS2, try Cross, Try the SHOEI RF1100 a hugely popular budget item, try the Arai Vector. Others like NOLAN, SHARK and SCORPION meet the various price points on the system.
5. What I wear- I started riding with a full face and I do not use nor subscribe to half-face or modular helmets.
I ride with the
NOLAN- N 63 in the city, and on extremely hot days
SHOEI GT-AIR which has saved me when I head-butted a wall on an off-road event- replaced and remains my favourite highway runner in groups needing communications, as my Scala sits firmly screwed into the helmet, and finally-
ARAI Corsair V- Isle of Man TT Limited Edition- which I use for long rides alone when I dont need the Scala which stays embedded in my Shoei.

Do feel free to try on a few helmets across the price ranges of 3000-45000 before finding the right fit. Helmets that ride up at speeds are just as bad as ones that will slide around when you fall and impact on the road. Choose wisely and choose tight.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 11:38   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
Which brings me to a point, that it is rumoured - rather strongly- that HJC makes Harley helmets, of which there are half, modular and full face available. These are the same that H-D sells around th world, and am sure they pass atleast some mandatory testing and meet/exceed some minimum certification standards. So if anyone asks you not to buy the helmets- hmmmm- I would discount such advise.
Just to add to the benefit of people and hope its of some value.

This is not a rumor but a fact. HJC does make helmets for Harley. Just that the HJC branding is replaced by Harley Davidson. The proof to this fact is -- Check the visor at the top right end - "HJC" is clearly marked.

Thanks & cheers
Shubz is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks