Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2014, 13:38   #76
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhimanyu_singh View Post
Is that an aftermarket backrest (UK reg. superlow), coz I thought saw different backrest for the superlow at the showroom. It looks damn neat by the way, how much did it cost you?
Its from oem se hd catalog, part num i don remember, will post it later.
I think it is called tall retro sissy or something like that.
Cost was around 21k for back rest and leather pad, i did not purchase docking hardware , costing 2.8k as it was not available at the time.
Fabricated my own docking hardware kit out of RE swing arm axle parts.
dustom_99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 11:06   #77
BANNED

re: Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged

U.S. House votes to retain NHTSA motorcycle lobbying ban

Quote:
The U.S. House of Representatives approved a bill late Tuesday that reaffirms Congress' intent to prohibit the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration from lobbying states and state legislators on motorcycle safety matters, the American Motorcyclist Association reports.

U.S. Reps. Tim Walberg (R-Mich.) and Jim Sensenbrenner (R-Wis.) offered the amendment to strike Section 102 of H.R. 4745. The amended bill passed on a vote of 229-192, with 10 members not voting.

"As a rider, I know that educating riders and the driving public is the best way to keep motorcyclists safe," Walberg said. "I've always thought that what you put between your ears is equally as important as what you put on your head or body, and I'm glad the House passed this commonsense amendment so we can focus on promoting motorcycle safety, not wasting more taxpayer dollars."

Wayne Allard, AMA vice president for government relations, applauded the change.

"We are happy that the House members accepted the language in the amendment," said Wayne Allard, AMA vice president for government relations. "Lifting the ban on NHSTA lobbying would have given Washington bureaucrats free rein to spend taxpayer money to lobby states and legislators to create laws that infringe on our rights as motorcyclists."

To read the AMA's full position on voluntary helmet use, visit this site:[/FONT][/COLOR]
www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Rights/PositionStatements/VoluntaryHelmetUse.aspx

Last edited by aah78 : 24th June 2014 at 18:48. Reason: Linked content edited,
dustom_99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 17:21   #78
BANNED

Replaced primary fluid to SAE 90 instead of HD20w50.

Cheaper and a proper gearbox/ clutch oil .

230/ ltr.

Much less noise( thud) on gear change , gear changes feel much more modern.
Drain intervals going to be 15k now on.

HD service puts in same 15w50 in both engine n gearbox.

Also no gasket need changing , as done by HD official service.
Both inspection and primary gasket reused in my case using fevibond gasket sealer. ( 40 bucks)
All in all : HD service cost- 6000 rs
I did it in - 1100rs.
Attached Images

dustom_99 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2014, 14:12   #79
BANNED

Quote:
Is that an aftermarket backrest (UK reg. superlow), coz I thought saw different backrest for the superlow at the showroom. It looks damn neat by the way, how much did it cost you?
Here is the part info from parts & accessories manual.
60 pages dedicated to sporties , with 8-10 custom parts displayed on each.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140615_140430.png
Views: 1906
Size:  846.4 KB

Some inspirational ideas!

Name:  ForumRunner_20140615_140457.png
Views: 1881
Size:  847.3 KB

Stress test. Each new model from HD has to go under stress test for 80k miles non stop. Stress Cycle is repeated 6 times before real world road ride tests are conducted by actual riders.
Name:  ForumRunner_20140615_140519.png
Views: 1849
Size:  806.1 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20140615_140548.png
Views: 1824
Size:  828.3 KB
Some custom sporty ideas

Name:  ForumRunner_20140615_140613.png
Views: 1829
Size:  789.0 KB

My sissy bars!
Name:  ForumRunner_20140615_140639.png
Views: 1742
Size:  808.0 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20140615_140727.png
Views: 1737
Size:  758.4 KB
dustom_99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 17:13   #80
BHPian

Greetings Dushyant. I ride a Street Bob in Hyderabad and have been following your postings and updates regularly and with interest. In one of your responses to Shubz, I recollect (either on his thread or you this one) your recommendation to go in for a ECM Flash h/w like PV over a contraption like the XiED that hoodwinks the the ECM to push in more fuel across the rev range and bring down AFR to 13.9:1.

Recently on a whim, I had SE slip-ons and a Stage 1 installed - No stage 1 re-map was done. My after install experience has been that in city traffic, I feel the machine is running hotter and very comfortably so for me personally on it! Probably the increased volume of exhaust gases is the culprit. May I seek your recommendation on how to run it cooler
1. XiED - Just richens the fuel & from review postings makes the engine run cooler for $100
or
2. Spend $450 Dynojet PV & have the ability to play around with various maps and slowly learn to make changes on your own.
Much as I am inclined toward the latter, I have also read that a PV tune HAS to be fine-tuned on a Dyno for best results. I have no access to a Dyno set-up in Hyderabad and was keen to learn from your experience with the PowerVision before committing to that purchase. I shall appreciate any input that you can provide

Cheers
Old 24th June 2014, 17:45   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayant06 View Post
Greetings Dushyant. I ride a Street Bob in Hyderabad and have been following your postings and updates regularly and with interest. In one of your responses to Shubz, I recollect (either on his thread or you this one) your recommendation to go in for a ECM Flash h/w like PV over a contraption like the XiED that hoodwinks the the ECM to push in more fuel across the rev range and bring down AFR to 13.9:1.

Recently on a whim, I had SE slip-ons and a Stage 1 installed - No stage 1 re-map was done. My after install experience has been that in city traffic, I feel the machine is running hotter and very comfortably so for me personally on it! Probably the increased volume of exhaust gases is the culprit. May I seek your recommendation on how to run it cooler
1. XiED - Just richens the fuel & from review postings makes the engine run cooler for $100
or
2. Spend $450 Dynojet PV & have the ability to play around with various maps and slowly learn to make changes on your own.
Much as I am inclined toward the latter, I have also read that a PV tune HAS to be fine-tuned on a Dyno for best results. I have no access to a Dyno set-up in Hyderabad and was keen to learn from your experience with the PowerVision before committing to that purchase. I shall appreciate any input that you can provide

Cheers
Not sure if Dushyant has cooled off. But let me answer on his behalf.

just slip on's and stage 1 air cleaner will make it run real real lean! So you find it real hot.

XiED - Waste of money as they will only help run the bike rich, no matter what the condition is.

SE Super tuner (auto tuner) is the way to go, unless you want better control of the settings. Here, only if you know what you are doing, you could opt for the PV.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 18:09   #82
BHPian

Thanks a bunch Shubz. When you allude to the SE tuner, is it the SRPT or the pro tuner? How does it work? Are there a choice of tunes that one can choose from that gets flashed. I ask this because the local dealer tells me that the SE tuner (they call it street tuner for some reason) comes with a pre-installed tune.

Dushyant, I am happy to take this conversation outside this thread, if you feel the conversation is veering away from your primary subject.

Cheers.
Jayant06 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 13:22   #83
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 26th June 2014 at 10:31.
dustom_99 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th July 2014, 12:07   #84
BANNED

Small clip from Gangotri Ride!
Old 27th July 2014, 12:49   #85
BANNED

Some Pics from Recent ride to Gangotri!
Enjoying the Monsoon the Himalayan way! Bit risky with all that landsliding and shooting stones hitting Buses and cars . Took the chance as we had 3 day Shutdown for our plant and Mountains were calling!
Initially wanted to go to Badrinath but that Highway was Closed down due to fresh rains , Gangotri Highway had opened up for Public just 12 hrs before we started from home!
Attached Thumbnails
Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-dsc01390.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-dsc01407.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-dsc01409.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-dsc01416.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-dsc01424.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-dsc01426.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-dsc01442.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-dsc01443.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-dsc01445.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-dsc01471.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-dsc01478.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-dsc01506.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-dsc01510.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-dsc01521.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-dsc01544.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-dsc01550.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-dsc01578.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-dsc01579.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-dsc01591.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-dsc01593.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-dsc01595.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-dsc01601.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-dsc01602.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-dsc01619.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-dsc01658i.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-dsc01659.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-dsc01666i.jpg  

dustom_99 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 22:43   #86
BHPian

Nice pics bro, and glad to have you back here.. another place to add to my destinations wishlist there

Everytime I see a superlow in action, the wait becomes even more painful.

Last edited by abhimanyu_singh : 27th July 2014 at 22:44.
Old 28th July 2014, 10:39   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Nice pics bro, and glad to have you back here.. another place to add to my destinations wishlist there

Everytime I see a superlow in action, the wait becomes even more painful.
There is soo much activity against Sportsters : Had to come! , although Sportster does not need any defending , but my HOG bros in arms might , atleast online where beautiful democracy prevails and all stupids get equal vote!

When is your Bike getting the good fortune of Hauling your butt?
Old 28th July 2014, 12:41   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
There is soo much activity against Sportsters : Had to come! , although Sportster does not need any defending , but my HOG bros in arms might , atleast online where beautiful democracy prevails and all stupids get equal vote!

When is your Bike getting the good fortune of Hauling your butt?
Yeah I get that completetly, on the other hand its a painful 8 months wait (only 1.5 of which is over so far). Also I've been told by many people that you get it before the mentioned date, so I'm hoping to get it latest by Jan 2015. Its a wait and watch game.
Old 28th July 2014, 13:08   #89
BANNED

There are a lot of people Reading TBHP and Xbhp regarding stage 1 upgrades .
I have been recieveing Emails and even phone texts for Remap VS others!
So here are the Options and Fineprints of all the different approach one can adopt for upgrades!

Q: What is Stage 1?
Stage one Involves letting the Engine Breathe a little better , Generally Involves Larger surface Air cleaners and Less restrictive Exhaust.
Changing any one of them will Improve Air flow but will not Improve it enough to throw the ECU into Open loop!

Q: *** is Open loop?
This Evolution Motor although seems straight out of WW2 but is actually quite tech savvy. The Closed loop system is where the feed back is taken from exhaust gasses to verify if the Fuel calculations done by ECU were correct or they need some Improvement!
Evolution like many other Mordern engines uses Standard Narrow band O2 sniffer sensors in Exhaust pipes and lets the ECU know what exactly is going on!

Q: If sensors are already providing Feedback and adjusting Fuel delievery , then why a remap is needed?
Narrow band sensors are called Narrow band because they can only provide feed back while the AFR is between 1:14.3 - 1: 14.9.
They actually are only a Switch which provides on or off condition only on 14.6 exact , beyond which either way they can only read Lean or Rich but cant read How lean and how rich! that too only in range of 14.3 - 14.9 .
Harley ECU is set for AFR of 14.64 for most of its Operational range ( Light load or Low rpm)

Changing Both free flow air cleaner and Free flow exhaust , flows lot more air through Motor and leans the mixture beyong what can be sniffed by standard O2 sensors. and then the ECU starts ignoring o2 sensors output.

Q:Is this condition Critical?
Yes! in long term and Indian Traffic jams , Yes absolutely!

Q: What about the bikes I have seen doing these upgrades and going on without a Problem?
Lean only causes Over temperature and loss of Power .
Harley ECM has something Builtin called EITMS and temp based Timing Correction.
when the Bike goes over a set temperature for engine Core ( 230*c for Sportster) , ECU pulls out timing to prevent Detonation and engine meltdown! But reduced advance also reduces a lot of power . Then what is the point of Stage 1 upgrade if Power is not prime , Just go for Muffler upgrade to enjoy that Harley sound!

Rear Cylinder Does not recieve as much cooling as the front and repeated Over heating causes Cylinder warpage in long term. Leading to Head gasket leaks / Sepage! or the Push rod cover leak. The Famous Harley Oil leak problem.

If you want to keep it for an year or so and sell the Bike , or you are not going to stuck in traffic often, No problem ! Go ahead!

Q:No I love my Bike and I am not selling it Unless my Wife knocks the Court room! What are my Options Then?

Options:
1. Just Upgrade Muffler , and use it with Baffle .
2. Xides: seems Bang for Buck but does not actually address The problem. Cools engine at the cost of Fuel and Engine cooling @ 80bucks/ltr isnt very wise. It will cost you same as other more expensive options in year or two!
Also it provides over rich conditions where the Stock map is already Rich which messes with engine oil film on Cylinder walls. Either drop the Oil replacement Interval or risk chances of Oil pump Failure due to soot in Oil! , lot of Clatter etc.
All in all , You get what you paid for.

3. Standard HD remap VIA SEPRT:
This is One of the Best options if you only want longer engine life along with Fuel economy + warranty
Here The Harley authorised workshop Downloads a HD built Remap into your ECU , taking care of extra AIr flow at specific RPM and Throttle Openings / Load etc. This Tune has been Company tested , so the warranty is intact aswell.

At almost 35k is it Bang for Buck?
NO! Nothing is, in Harley world. Ditch that word , you are now in engine Upgrade terrotory ! That shit will buy you almost additional 10-12 bhp even in 883 trim and will raise the RPM limit to 7k!
Some people will pay that amount to hear what a Harley V-Twin sounds like on 7k with cannon shots!

And more over You got it wrong! its not 33k or 35k or whatever , Its actually 43k for the package you Just paid for!
In 33k you just get a New Tune downloaded to your ECU and you get to go home with a Gold Biscuit sized electronic device called the SEPRT ( Screaming Eagle Pro Race Tuner) packed neatly in a white cardboard box.
It is a very capable device and tune almost every thing in an engine you can think of! plus It also has Built in AUTO-TUNE Capability .
But It aint Tuning crap without pair of Cables.
One to connect it to ECU and Other to connect it to Lappy.
Plus You will need to Purchase Tuning software aswell. Yes - even if you want use Built in Auto Tune.
That is what the dealership does not tell you while selling you that fancy gadget!

So most people Just get that Initial map downloaded using Dealership cables and software , and never get to use that Autotune Function because they saved money on cables.

4. Dynojet Power Vision.
Same capabilities as SEPRT Including Auto-Tune function as far as tuning is concerned , comes with Built In 4" LCD screen and does not need to be connected to Laptop for Tuning like a SEPRT.
At almost 44-46k Its pretty expensive , But its a complete package with software + cables + Aftermarket Tunes + Tech support Unlike SEPRT.

Q: Okie , Now I see Even the SERT will cost around 43-45k , with Power Vision being around that same mark , which one Should I go For?
They both have Same , Exactly same Tuning features. Both of them lock to ECM on the First use so that you cant resell them . I cant think of anything that would make SEPRT better than a Power vision , however Warranty might be with SEPRT.
But be cautioned Warranty is only with Seprt if you have not tinkered with downloaded tune or have not run any Tuning sessions of your own. If you have not Bought Cable and software then you have paid 33 k for Just one Tune and No autotune + data collection or data monitoring.

I will compare feature by feature Between SEPRT and Power vision , then Its your call:
1. Tuning parameters
SEPRT: Same as PV
PV : same as SEPRT
2. Data Logging
SEPRT : 20min worth of running time (64mb built in memory) + Needs connection to lap top to start logging and download logged data
PV : 40hrs worth of running time ( 2gb Inbuilt memory) + Laptop not required
3. Tuning on the Go!
SEPRT: can hold only 1 tune at a time , can only be flashed when connected with laptop + software
PV : Built in LCD screen , Does not need Laptop for any thing , can even review Logged data onboard + contains slot for 6 custom Tunes+ 1 stock tune at special slot , can flash on the GO!
4. Autotune
SEPRT:
Passive Auto tuning @14.6afr , cannot load Auto tuning results without PC connection.
Auto tune is Not as AUTO as it sounds- VOlumetric efficency table is corrected in AUto tune , however that table is laid out between RPM V/S Manifold Absolute pressure.
Although Auto tune will correct the cells on its own , but bike needs to be Going through all possible combinations of Throttle VS rpm which isnt perticularly easy thing to do.
What all areas did you actually go through in that RPM V/S MAP is only known when data is reviewed in laptop.

PV : Passive Auto tuning @14.6afr. Can apply corrections without laptop.

What all areas / cell did you hit and what all still need to be hit can be Monitored on the Go on LCD. for EX you will know if auto tune has made recording for 4000rpm at 50kpa(10% throttle) and it has not made any recording for 4000rpm at 80% throttle , so you still need to take your bike to 4000rpm while holding throttle at 80%( It actually is MAP , I am using Throttle % for understanding)
5. Engine Monitor:
SEPRT : You need to record data such as Engine Temp, AFR, Timing , MAP, Oil pressure etc , download into PC and review In software.
PV : Can be monitored On the Go in form of Gauge display of your choice on LCD ( 48 gauges available in selection menu), Can also record and review on the GO!
6: Stock tune Reflashing:
Seprt: You can reflash but you are not allowed that without taking it to dealership
PV: Reflash stock tune before going in for Service ( 30sec Job) , Remove Power vision cable from ECU connector ( 1min job) and your warranty is Intact as dealership cant tell you have been running custom or after market tune.
7: Tune quality
SEPRT: HD only supplies Tunes that are conservative and maintain close loop ( AFR is still maintained as stock 14.64 for all of the RPM range), they Just raise The RPM limit to 7k and correct VE .
PV: Power Vision / Dynojet supply 100s standard tunes for combination of Mufflers & AC , plus you can flash tunes borrowed over from reputed tuners abroad etc
8: Engine Size Upgrade
SEPRT: Supports Engine size upgrade to 1200cc
PV : Supports Engine upgrade not limited by size , 1200cc/ 1250cc/ custom size can be supported

One one the Most used Feature Of PV is Its Custom gauges:
each and every gauge such as Oil temp / RPM / Gear position etc will cost 8-15k each from harley. In PV you get all these gauges on your LCD screen and get to play with backlite colour, digital or analog display , warning lights / shift point lights and all that Race stuff shown on TV

I think thats enough to make a decision!
Cheers

Last edited by dustom_99 : 28th July 2014 at 13:24.
dustom_99 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 15:08   #90
BANNED

Thinking about This for a While , and finally started a Pilot project.
I have no Idea how am I going to tune it , as stock ECM has no option of Fuel delievery above 100kpa.

I was confused between a 1250cc kit and a Turbo!
1250 cc kit is simple job , Import and Install , with Tune supplied by kit vendor.
Turbo is Much more complex as all the work will have to be done by me.
It would require fancy sensors , fooling ECU , getting AFR spot on for boost , custom Timing and managing heat using AFR.
a 1250 kit would provide straight 80+ wheel BHP , very nearly double of stock.
Turbo with mild tune (8psi) will provide very similar bhp , but could be increased to 100odd bhp as the tune gets Ironed out.

So first starting the Turbo Project, In hope that I will find a way to Tune it some how , and kill my weekends . Its a GT15 Garrett
Just making Mock pipes to know what sort of boost will come at what sort of RPM.
Some rough calculations tell me it will start making 2psi as soon as 2500-3000rpm and will make 6psi around 4k. around 12psi at5500rpm where I plan to keep the Rev limit initially.

If I get what I am hoping for , I would redo the Exhaust pipes with better steel. Rite now just saving cost.

Have started Learning TIG recently , Initially I was burning Holes in every thing touched with the Torch , after a weekends practice and Hit and trial with Argon Pressure & Flowrate , finally joining a few bits together.

Something like this:
Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-img_0348.jpg

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-img_0349.jpg

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-img_20140720_161640.jpg
Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-img_20140721_153944.jpg
dustom_99 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks