Team-BHP - Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/141465-harley-davidson-superlow-xl883l-comprehensive-review-17.html)

On the matter of children, my son is barely three and has already claimed my bike! Shock of my life - He actually "told" me to get the keys and start the bike for him. Can only imagine what the future will hold. He is already a petrolhead and can identify cars from their logos with his favourites being Porche, BMW, Audi and HD.

On another note, Dkaile where did you get your patch done?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC_genius (Post 3403216)
where did you get your patch done?

The jacket patches were made by a computerized embroider here in Meerut. HOG patches were also duplicated in-house at Meerut. Some Harley logo patches were purchased online from eBay. And Yes, children have the birth right to everything we own...

Got a Chrome Gauge Bezel Ring for the steed. Will attach it soon. It comes with just a double sided tape on the inside to attach it to the speedometer.

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-gauge-visor-ring_1.jpg

Attached the Gauge Visor Ring to the bike today. It certainly has given a chrome boost to the black speedo. Just the way I like it...

The top view
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-gauge-visor-ring_1.jpg

And from the back
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-gauge-visor-ring_5.jpg

Cockpit view from the front
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-gauge-visor-ring_2.jpg

And the back
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-gauge-visor-ring_4.jpg

The side view with the pronounced lip visible
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-gauge-visor-ring_6.jpg

Driver's view
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-gauge-visor-ring_3.jpg

Looks mighty good. 1800 bucks well spent for the solid metal chrome finish not plastic.

Quote:

Looks mighty good. 1800 bucks well spent for the solid metal chrome finish not plastic.
Looks nice, dkaile! I also like the way you justify yourself for the purchase made clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by getsurya (Post 3403795)
Looks nice, dkaile! I also like the way you justify yourself for the purchase made

Thanks getsurya. Yes, the accessories are costly but then so is it's build and finish. Their pricing is proportionate to the cost of the vehicle. The said part was made of metal, weighs a lot and was solidly chromed. I have tried after market parts with a Harley and have always been disappointed except from equally costly vendors like Vance & Hines, Kuryakyn etc.

Had a random 60km ride today. We had to go to a friend's factory who was fabricating a sissy bar for my bike for free. My friend accompanied me on his Ducati Diavel. Breached 120+ speeds again today (more than that I am not legally allowed to quote on the forum). No vibrations and absolute confidence unlike what some may like you to believe.

The Tank with THE Tank...
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-imag0565.jpg

My friend on his DUCATI
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-imag0568_1.jpg

The 3 together
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-imag0569.jpg

At my friend's factory where the sissy bar was work in progress
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-imag0571.jpg

The Ducati ready to set the roads on fire needs those Fire Extinguishers... lolz
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-imag0572.jpg

My "Pocket Rocket"
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-imag0564_1.jpg

Cheers...

Nice set of pictures , the bike looks better solo :)

I have a few questions btw -
1. Is the ducati similar length as the harley ? Which one is heavier ? Is the ducati tank/bodywork of metal or composite material ?

2. Is the front tyre of your bike 17" or 19" ?

3. Is the superlow engine same as the iron 883 ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by basuroy (Post 3405246)
Nice set of pictures , the bike looks better solo :)

I have a few questions btw -
1. Is the ducati similar length as the harley ? Which one is heavier ? Is the ducati tank/bodywork of metal or composite material ?

2. Is the front tyre of your bike 17" or 19" ?

3. Is the superlow engine same as the iron 883 ?

Thanks. Yes, going solo gives the bike a real 'soul'.

1. The Ducati is 2235 mm compared to the Superlow's 2215. So it's about 20mm longer. It's wheelbase is 1580mm compared to the 1500mm of the Harley. You sit lower on the Harley at 27inches compared to the 30" seat height of the Diavel. Harley is heavier as it's pure metal all around at 260kgs compared to the Ducati's 239kg. Mind you that the Ducati has lots of plastic parts to keep the weight down for a performance bike although it comes in a power cruiser category. Both have 4.5-gallon (17L) gas tanks and in the Ducati it is roto-molded in plastic and wrapped in a well-sculpted cowl—sheetmetal for the standard model (as owned by my friend) and carbon fiber (about 7 pounds lighter) for the “Carbon” edition. The Ducati is 1200cc compared to 883cc of the Harley. It produces 162bhp compared to around 55bhp produced by mine. However it costs a whopping 20Lacs+ compared to around 6.5L for the Superlow. Though the Diavel is capable of 200+ speeds and could easily zoom past the Harley, the Superlow was no slouch either on the highway. We easily zoomed past each and every vehicle we encountered including a few Audis and Beemers.

2. My front tyre is 18" and the rear is a 17 incher and 150mm wide. The Ducati has both 17 inchers but a MASSIVE 240mm wide rear tyre.

3. Yes, the engines on the Superlow and Iron are exactly the same except the finish in chrome/aluminum for the Superlow and black for the Iron.

Hope that helps. Cheers...

Got my Sissy Bar that I had got fabricated locally at a friend's factory with black powder coating. Excellent quality. The total cost was around 1K including the coating but he, obviously, made it for FREE for me. Makes me wonder when Harley charges 25K for this!!! He gave it the vintage Harley rope finish for the backrest. Had to travel twice to his factory for exact size specifications. He owns the Street Bob in our group. That's what Harley mates are for. Will fit it myself after the Nainital Ride.

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-sissy-bar-04042014.jpg

This is an interesting and comparatively inexpensive alternative to a full fledged Fuelpak called 'Nightrider' if one is planning to upgrade his Air Intake to a more free flowing filter to increase performance and acceleration along with either Slip-on exhausts like the Screamin Eagles that I have installed or a full fledged exhaust upgrade to something like the Vance & Hines Staggered Straight Shots (the loudest buggers around). I particularly liked this ViED model of the XiED fuel management product range costing around 7~8k and a pretty simple (and slightly adjustable) system to provide a richer fuel mixture to your bike when you increase the air intake. A simple plug and play system installed in less than 10 minutes which has increased performance in the bikes of 2 of my mates. And it's nearly 1/3 the cost of a full fledged fuelpak system.

This is what they replied to me when I asked them which was best for my bike with a V&H's VO2 kind of air intake -

Quote:

Me- I have a 2013 Harley Superlow XL883L fitted with Screamin Eagle Slip-ons. I am planning to also add a free flowing Filter like either a V&H VO2 Air Intake or a Cobra PowerFlo Air Intake System to my bike. Which will be the best XEID model for me. X14iED or ViED. I am more interested in the X14iED. Will it work perfectly for me? Do let me know so I can place a order.

Them- The adjustable VIED gives you the opportunity to try the two most popular setting (XIED = 75% or X14iED = 50%). While the tendency is for the 2013 bikes to want a bit more fuel of the XIED (setting), some bike, equipment and RIder combinations actually work a bit better with the X14iED. For a $20 difference in price, you effectively get both devices and a simple way to try both.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBAqB...ature=youtu.be

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-sx2c1284.jpg

Hi Dkaile,

Me and a couple of friends did a breakfast ride to Murthal last Sunday and we had a Ducati and a SuperLow overtake us, wondering if it was you and your friend who owns the Ducati?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankitwanchoo (Post 3409007)
Me and a couple of friends did a breakfast ride to Murthal last Sunday and we had a Ducati and a SuperLow overtake us, wondering if it was you and your friend who owns the Ducati?

Nope, not us on that route recently. Our route has mostly been on the brilliant NH 58 (toll road) laid between Meerut and Muzaffarnagar, which is about 60kms (one way) of brilliant tarmac.

And more I ride the more I am reaching the conclusion that the Superlow is one of the most under-rated bikes of the Harley stable. And I have a suspicion that Harley wants to keep it that way (even though it's their largest selling bike in India) so that it does not affect sales of their costlier/blingier models. It is more comfortable than the Iron, much much more comfortable than the 48 (whose rider can easily be called Iron Buts and are most likely to get piles soon with those darn stock seats :D), easily maneuverable in Indian city traffic conditions, easy to weave through highway traffic than say the heavier lot like the Fat Bobs which prefer straight lines, can hit its top speed of 150+kmph (please try only on closed roads with no speed limits) and is one of the more customisable models of their lot. What more do you want from a bike? As I mostly ride solo this bike suits me as I rarely bottom out on the worst speed bumps after the adjustment of the suspension to the stiffest setting.

But keep the riding spirit going, on any bike you like, and that is why we are here...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkaile (Post 3403758)
And from the back

Attachment 1225878

Just wondering why there is a gap on the right side between the fork and the headlight dome when viewed from the front in this pic. Is it me or anyone else feel the same?

Anyway, nice looking ride. The bike looks great with all the shining chrome and gleaming paint job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_aditya (Post 3409141)
Just wondering why there is a gap on the right side between the fork and the headlight dome when viewed from the front in this pic. Is it me or anyone else feel the same?

Anyway, nice looking ride. The bike looks great with all the shining chrome and gleaming paint job.

It's perfectly symmetrical from both sides. Maybe the handle bar was slightly tilted at the time of the photo to give you that feeling. And thanks for the kind words.