Team-BHP - Harley Street 750 Test Ride: Handling, Exhaust Note & more
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Harley Street 750 Test Ride: Handling, Exhaust Note & more (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/148995-harley-street-750-test-ride-handling-exhaust-note-more-6.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkaile (Post 3396524)
Doesn't go well with the aesthetics and the class of a bike with a 'Harley' stamp on it :D. Harleys are not known for class leading performance but they are known for class leading build quality and attention to detail which every other bike maker craves for...

Again let me ask you.

How do wires deduct from class?

Wires and cables play very important roles in the bike. Without them the engine will not run.

Lets hide the engine with heat shrink wrap as well.

Not classy enough for Harley stamp .....

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3396527)
Again let me ask you.

How do wires deduct from class?

I really should not be explaining form and functionality to a senior biker like you. For me they play an equal and integral part of any product. Functionality is not the whole sole criterion for most. It should be aesthetically encased in proper form too.

Enuf said on the said issue from my side...

All I am saying is that wires are both form and function. They have as much place and right on your bike as your engine does.

Simply wondering how hiding them adds to the class of the bike. Or the aesthetics.

This is a bike. Not an apartment with mood lighting and concealed wiring. Done from my side as well .....

W@nnaR@ce, nice review, I 100% concur with you on its engine and this was a revelation for me truly punchy and weighs right ( not too heavy or lite), handles well in city and balances well on cursing too.

That said it's just about wiring , the components quality used like foot pegs, the sockets lefts open for rains, rats is certainly sore to eye , unless we are saying customisation means covering even these exposed parts with some rubber hose, nylon casing etc.

I pity Harley's may have not seen what 1lacs bikes offer and well packaged .

Purely as engine and dynamics street 750 is a worthy bet and a new cult
Is here. I ll keep it there!

Quote:

. It will have cables, it will have wires! Where are these wires supposed to go?
Same place it goes in other Harleys perhaps?? They are not complaining about them are they?

Quote:

an someone please explain to me what is this big huge fuss about exposed wires. I mean, its a bike
Why does a bike need acres of chrome? Why does it need a hi quality paintjob? why do companies work so hard to find a unique styling & look?

Its well understood that Harley owners consider their bikes a piece of sculpture. If this doesn't make sense to you then you dont understand the cruiser lifestyle. What next...you're gonna ask why does a dirt bike need so much ground clearance?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3396466)
Saw the same thing many places when the Duke 390 was launched. The very first comments had a lot to do with "oh exposed wires, very bad tch tch" type comments. Not just forums, but auto mags and professional boards as well who do this for a living and actually get paid to write such stuff.

If most bikes have neat wiring, then obviously the ones that don't will be criticized.

If all bikes had exposed ugly wiring, then there would be no 'frame of reference' right?

Mpower there is nothing "ugly" about the wiring save for the fact that the wires can be seen by the human eye.

Maybe Harley should make "pretty" wires, but short of that at least I don't get the "ugly" bit.

They look like any other wires. Long cylindrical black things.

Where does one store the bike papers?
Will the ignition system work after a spill on the left side?

Regards
Sutripta

@ebonho I agree with you on the most part. Thing is, there are many more elegant ways of getting these wires and tubes around. You notice how car's engine bays now have plastic shrouds? Some only serve to hide unsightly tubes while others are more functional and help route air through dams etc. I'm not saying that these need to covered up. That'll just make for a maintenance nightmare. All that I wanted was neat clever ways to route them.

Personally I do that for all my stuff like my workstation, media unit and also the entire home wired network (there is a lot of it). It's all planned to be away from sight, away from incidental harm but properly accessible for maintenance. This is needed today. We've been taught this in engineering and it isn't difficult.

For example, even my avenger has a proper chassis shroud to hold cabling. All wires bundle into a black rubber cup and hide beneath the space in the chassis. It is thought through.

This isn't a deal breaker at all. You should know I booked the bike keeping all this in mind. It's just that getting all of this out of the way makes it easy on the eyes, easier to keep safe from anyone meddling and easier to clean the whole bike.

As you can see from this thread, this is expected today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3396570)
Mpower there is nothing "ugly" about the wiring save for the fact that the wires can be seen by the human eye.

Maybe Harley should make "pretty" wires, but short of that at least I don't get the "ugly" bit.

They look like any other wires. Long cylindrical black things.

It says a lot about how much thought has gone into putting the vehicle together.
Especially when the same manufacturer does take the trouble to take care of such niceties for their other products.

It shows a very chalta-hai sort of attitude - if this is the attitude towards things that are visible, it says a lot about how things would be beneath the skin.

Why is it that everyone talks about them wires

http://gas2.org/2013/11/20/cant-deci...t-motorcycles/

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrena (Post 3396660)
I'm not saying that these need to covered up. That'll just make for a maintenance nightmare. All that I wanted was neat clever ways to route them.

Personally I do that for all my stuff like my workstation, media unit and also the entire home wired network (there is a lot of it). It's all planned to be away from sight, away from incidental harm but properly accessible for maintenance. This is needed today. We've been taught this in engineering and it isn't difficult.

You've brought up some good points. The same ones any experienced biker would have in mind while looking dispassionately at this issue. As I hope all of us are .....

Routing is the key in this area. Otherwise it hinders movement of the handle, can get stuck leading to dicey/disastrous situations, and/or get chaffed against the fork and sharp edge of the tank and short over time.

I don't know about you guys but I am pretty sure a manufactrer that's been in the business of building bikes for longer than a century would have taken all of these into consideration.

You try and bundle all of them together or into tighter bundles, and all of the above come into play.

As for routing, this is the standard place wires from the nacelle and handlebar controls are always routed to the rest of the bike in bikes the world over.

Its under the tank that different manufacturers have different imaginative loom management solutions.

Quote:

For example, even my avenger has a proper chassis shroud to hold cabling. All wires bundle into a black rubber cup and hide beneath the space in the chassis. It is thought through.
Maybe there isn't enough clearance between the chassis tube and the tank for a corrugated sleeve. Maybe putting one would cause fouling and tightening somewhere along the handle turn arc. And cause chaffing and cutting. These look pretty nicely packed away. The only thing I would personally do is move those zip ties out of sight. Or snip them properly to size and rotate them inwards.

Quote:

This isn't a deal breaker at all.
Exactly what I was pointing out to an audience of experienced bikers.

In a new launch I would talk about why they chose to give me MRF Zappers in India and not what they are giving the Yanks.

I would think that deserves a whole lot more focus than reams of print on exposed wires.

But hey. I recognize that everyones priorities and ways of approaching biking are different. Out here, I'm just responsible for putting mine forward, and let others take care of their own.

Cheers! :)

First ride reviews coming in - http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fi...50_first_ride/

... and another from Motorcycle-USA
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/113/18...irst-Ride.aspx

Note from Mod : Merging Back to Back posts. Please read rules of forum before proceeding. Repeat will attract infraction. Cheers !!

Phoren Harleys come with Showa shocks? Is it the same for India? I think I read something about endurance doing the honours for that.

IMO, Showa n endurance are as different as chalk n cheese. If this is indeed true, that's another big gripe after Harley's choice of rubber for the desis.

@ aderna, nice review posts and most of it resonates with the views from few of us who have taken the test rides.

Wow. 52.8 bhp at 7900 rpm and ~35 kilos lighter than the 883 sportster. This bike looks exciting! The wait for the ownership thread begins.