Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2015, 12:13   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

The versys only comes with abs in all versions. The versions include the basic 650 and an lt version which comes with the kawi saddle bags and hand guards.

That said, the accessories I would prioritize will include :

1. Hand guards
2. Radiator guard
3. Frame slider
4. Givi top box for the rear
5. And those very hot kawi fog lamps.

That's it. The people over at advrider love this bike, so much so that they have two over flowing threads for the 2015 version.

This is the one to get. Even over the vstrom or the 690.
Old 27th November 2015, 12:26   #92
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)
Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 - Coming to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
This is the one to get. Even over the vstrom or the 690.
The V though is a V. That counts for something. And though it is 2 horses down, it has a version that comes with 19/17 spoked wheels. A huge plus Versys does not offer.

The 690, is well, different to the two above. It does everything the other two will do. And does some the other two never will.

Given a choice between the Versys and the 690, both available on sale in India (with service and spares support by Bajaj), which one would you buy?

And why.

Last edited by ebonho : 27th November 2015 at 12:27.
Old 27th November 2015, 13:17   #93
Senior - BHPian

Doc, are we referring the duke 690? If yes, is there any reliable info on if its coming to India and when? I know that you have been eagerly waiting for this one. Aren't they about to discontinue the current 690 and upgrading.

There are many comparative articles between the Versys 2015 and V storm on the net, and majority tilts towards the versys esp under general road & twistie type terrain. Off road usage, the results favors V storm. A lot depends on availability of these bikes. I would go with versys If the V storm or 690 is not available. Else i would try and test ride them all before making a call. As of now, its ust Vrsys on the horizon, so will go along with that. Been waiting for half a year to upgrade. Now can kawasaki please unleash the bike soon?
Old 27th November 2015, 13:19   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Doc, are we referring the duke 690? If yes, is there any reliable info on if its coming to India and when? I know that you have been eagerly waiting for this one. Aren't they about to discontinue the current 690 and upgrading.
Yup. 5.5 lacs ex showroom. 2016.

Nothing confirmed. Just a single report. No idea how good the source is.

Mods are free to delete this per rules.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2015, 14:20   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup. 5.5 lacs ex showroom. 2016.

Nothing confirmed. Just a single report. No idea how good the source is.
Nice!

I have very few complains about my 390, one being the engine harshness & vibration. Although single pot 690 would be super fun (asli hooligan), not sure how it fares in those areas. Would they be made or just assembled in India?
Old 27th November 2015, 14:55   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The V though is a V. That counts for something. And though it is 2 horses down, it has a version that comes with 19/17 spoked wheels. A huge plus Versys does not offer.

The 690, is well, different to the two above. It does everything the other two will do. And does some the other two never will.

Given a choice between the Versys and the 690, both available on sale in India (with service and spares support by Bajaj), which one would you buy?

And why.
Versys.

Pillion potential. Re engineered sub frame for luggage. Abs front and rear. Totally refined engine. Bullet proof reliability. Absolutely no vibes at all at any speed (rubber mounts galore). Adjustable wind screen. 21 litre touring tank is stock. I prefer easy on my hands cruising and attacking the hills when I want to. Very responsive front end. Off tarmac offroading will be few and far between. I would rather trek on two feet in that terrain. Also mileage. Confirmed way over the vfr. Not sure about the Strom, but I reckon it should better it. 690 being a single will be better I guess.

Oh and did I mention adjustable wind screen? Haha.

And lastly it needs nothing to be done to it to make it touring friendly. Compared to the regular naked 690 ofcourse. This is a first class touring bike from the get go.

All above based on hearsay. And most people who have owned both KTM and kawi seem to gravitate towards the kawi over longer distances and time. Again this is based on what little I have read.

Now if only we get the white...

Last edited by Red Liner : 27th November 2015 at 15:00.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2015, 15:39   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Nice!

I have very few complains about my 390, one being the engine harshness & vibration. Although single pot 690 would be super fun (asli hooligan), not sure how it fares in those areas. Would they be made or just assembled in India?
The 2016 KTM Duke 690 (and the R) are up 3 bhp to 73 and 75 Bhp respectively. That's just 10 horses shy of an inline-four CBR 650F today (but which weighs 215 kilos).

Even the 690 Enduro and the Supermotard put out a respectable 67 Bhp.

The entire cromoly trellis frame weighs just 9 kilos (!!), and the entire bike weighs just 150 kilos dry.

3 ECU modes - Standard, Sport and Rain - and an additional Supermoto mode for the ABS which allows you to control rear wheel slides, with the bike's brains controlling the ABS acting only on front wheel selectively.

One of the major updates (besides upping the power) is the addition of the Motorcycle Stability Control (MSC) system. The presence of MSC technology means that the 2016 KTM 690 Duke R comes with cornering ABS as standard.

This makes the 690 Duke R the only middleweight machine equipped with such advanced technology, alongside the top-of-the-line 1190/1290 bikes.

Besides this, some decisions are just not taken with the head ......

Power to Weight (BHP per Ton) in terms of bikes you and me know about -

Most powerful 500 cc Bullets - 135

CBR 250R / Pulsar 200 NS - 155

KTM 200 - 180

KTM 390 - 295

Versys 650 / V Strom 650 - 315

CBR 65F - 395

KTM 690 - 455

Kawasaki Z800 - 480
Cheers, drooling Doc

P.S. Yes, with just a bigger tank (stock is just 14L) it will do everything the Versys and V Strom will do. And a lot more. Remember all 3 as they come to India will have mag alloys.

And yes, its known to be a lot more fuel frugal than both the twins.

Last edited by ebonho : 27th November 2015 at 16:06.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2015, 16:23   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Well since you said 2016,and any purchase decision of mine is only going to happen late next year, I have no choice but to wait and watch. If the 690 launches in the trim you described above, then it certainly is a worthy contender.

However one thing the 690 loses out on is pillion comfort. Or the lack of it all. You see, when you are riding up the himalayas and you see this blue eyed blonde thing walking up... You want to stop and ask her to hop on. Haha.

Or has KTM fixed this?

Last edited by Red Liner : 27th November 2015 at 16:32.
Old 27th November 2015, 16:52   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Or has KTM fixed this?
I don't know bro.

I do know that if on my rides I start taking undue interest in the local citizenry, be it Himalayas or in Myanmar, I don't know about my pillion seat, but my own seat will be pretty uncomfortable, and I will most definitely be having blue eyes for some time.

Changing then to various shades of deep purple and then pink.

Hope that explains the redundancy of aforesaid mentioned point in my personal decision making matrix.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2015, 18:47   #100
BHPian

690 duke will be replaced by 790 twin cylinder version, highly doubtful if they will release the old model in India. Also all bikes upto 650 cc kawasakis will be sold through KTM outlets meaning the service back up of versys 650 and ktm will be same.

http://www.motorbeam.com/2014/09/bik...d-by-duke-790/
Old 27th November 2015, 19:25   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

I really really doubt KTM will bring the new 790 twin to India on the back of a global release. I just do not see it happening. I have a feeling KTM will be content on focusing and expanding on its offerings within the 200 and 390 brackets. I don't think Bajaj will push KTM just yet into the middle weight category in India. I think that are content allowing kawi make some headway there.

That said, we just have news on the 500 twin. So I have no idea what is going on at the moment.

Last edited by Red Liner : 27th November 2015 at 19:27.
Old 28th November 2015, 06:39   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I don't know bro.

I do know that if on my rides I start taking undue interest in the local citizenry, be it Himalayas or in Myanmar, I don't know about my pillion seat, but my own seat will be pretty uncomfortable, and I will most definitely be having blue eyes for some time.

Changing then to various shades of deep purple and then pink.

Hope that explains the redundancy of aforesaid mentioned point in my personal decision making matrix.
I will be happy to train you with some HIIT thrown in to make that redundancy a moot point. Haha.

Blonde, blue eyes, pink cheeks. Pun intended. Lol.

The kawi gets a bit of a tanking because of the high seat. Maybe replace it with an after market low gel seat should do the trick. Also getting slapped for the weight, but can make do. And center stands available from twisted throttle. Yippee!
Old 29th November 2015, 21:12   #103
BHPian

http://www.cartrade.com/car-bike-new...bs-129213.html

One of the two articles which indicate that the India bound Versys may be without ABS.
Hoping it's not true. Fingers crossed.
Old 30th November 2015, 13:14   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One of the two articles which indicate that the India bound Versys may be without ABS.
Hoping it's not true. Fingers crossed.
That article is dated 27th june. Around that time, many articles on net mentioned that India bound versys could come without ABS. But most of the recent reports + import infos + even a FB message from kawa bangalore says that it will come with ABS. Hoping for the best.
Old 30th November 2015, 15:12   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

The more I review the versys internationally, the more I get the feeling that if I drop this bike on a single track, the bike Wil probably get bruised more than me, what with all the plasticky fairing abound. And that underbelly exhaust is sure to get hurt. How are the KTM 's fairing off road with the underbelly exhaust?

And doc, some more insider dope on the new 500 and 800 twins will be nice. Maybe start a new thread? If indeed manufactured in India, the price will be great.

That said, does the naked 690 CHASSIS and suspension lend itself well to adventure riding? I am thinking a trail up sandakphu for instance.

Also this kwacker will look for too much attention in the back roads. Some how preferred the previous gen more euro look about it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks