Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2021, 20:07   #76
BHPian

Re: How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project

In case you want to take it a level further and burn a little more dolla, I would suggest getting in touch with your local HYVA dealer and checking if they can install a battery operated ramp at the back (something that can fold up on itself so that it doesn't project out too far).
Loading and unloading would be a piece of cake if you can get that done.
Tokengrip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 20:12   #77
BHPian

Re: How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project

Thanks for what was am amazing post to read. I was glued to my screen though all the twists and turns in this rebuild. My knowledge on engines is all what I have see on Youtube, and you have done a great job of writing it well for an absolute newbie to understand the process. This post actually pushed me over the edge and convinced me register on TeamBHP. Made sense to thank you for motivating me via my first post.

Cheers!
fuzzydealhunter is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 20:45   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokengrip View Post
In case you want to take it a level further and burn a little more dolla, I would suggest getting in touch with your local HYVA dealer and checking if they can install a battery operated ramp at the back (something that can fold up on itself so that it doesn't project out too far
@Tokengrip, a very valid point. I considered this in the beginning. But then I ran into an issue.

The VCross is a tall vehicle and a shorter ramp means a steeper angle. When I push a bike up the ramp onto the truck bed, the underbody of the bike is going to hit the part where the ramp links with the truck bed. That can damage the bike underbelly / pan. Unless its an ADV, the ground clearance of most sportsbikes are low and it will get stuck. Hence I built a longer ramp with less steep angle for easier unloading / loading and reduce any damage to the bikes.

The electric motors I tried out don't have the torque or power to lift and lower a long ramp due to the weight. In the end I decided manual.

Followed the KISS method (Keep it simple, s****)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzydealhunter View Post
This post actually pushed me over the edge and convinced me register on TeamBHP. Made sense to thank you for motivating me via my first post. Cheers!
Welcome to the forum and thank you. This actually made my day.

Last edited by no_fear : 25th September 2021 at 20:48.
no_fear is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 21:08   #79
BHPian

Quote:
The VCross is a tall vehicle and a shorter ramp means a steeper angle. When I push a bike up the ramp onto the truck bed, the underbody of the bike is going to hit the part where the ramp links with the truck bed
@no_fear The HYVA ramps drop down to the floor and can lift a load of up to 4 tonnes. You can just park the bike on the ramp and lift it up using a joystick. I use them on our trucks and the last installation in 2017 costed about 4 lakhs in Mumbai. Something specd out for the V cross should be much cheaper.

It could make sense in your venture as it caters to high end bikes and it looks super classy. Then again the KISS method is foolproof.

The attached picture is a generic one just for reference.
Attached Images

Tokengrip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 23:05   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokengrip View Post
@no_fear The HYVA ramps drop down to the floor and can lift a load of up to 4 tonnes........It could make sense in your venture as it caters to high end bikes and it looks super classy. Then again the KISS method is foolproof
@Tokengrip, to be honest I looked at this approach initially and later discarded it. My brother suggested this in the first place. Once we started exploring the option, we realized we had to heavily customize the truck bed and the gate. That needs time and I did not want to spend too much time on this project as I need the Isuzu urgently. I wanted an option that offers me something efficient, easy and reliable.

Not that this setup was cheap - still cost me a fair chunk of change. About Rs 1 lac. I was quoted much higher by other garages. So I sourced a lot of the materials myself and found a garage in Gurgaon that does this custom work.

Having said that, I might consider this in the next step. If and there is a big if, I am able to scale my business, then I will buy a Tata Winger next, and use that for bike transport. That should be able to accommodate the HYVA ramp. But that's a bit later in the pipeline.

Right now its baby steps. The 1199R has been my project for 2021. I think that's all I can handle for this year.

Last edited by no_fear : 25th September 2021 at 23:14.
Old 25th September 2021, 23:41   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Looks neat. Just one concern presuming you would be riding the bikes up the ramp or even pushing it up, do you feel the gap is a little too much and could create traction/grip issues for the tyres also might get your foot stuck in the gap accidentally while trying to flat foot? Or does it look too wide in the pictures?
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
Hey Sachin, no the gap is actually smaller. It looks wide due to the camera angle and also the ramp angle.

I had initially wanted to install an electric winch to pull the bike up, but it would only accommodate one bike and not 2. Hence went the manual way. Don't think my foot will get caught unless I am being careless or inattentive.
I echo sachin concern, that gap is much more then it should be, I am not too worried about the bike, but your feet. You can be sometime inattentive or careless or maybe it is raining and you just slip. I am more concerned about your feet then bike, i really suggest you rethink about it a bit.

A bike falling on you or some one else just because the feet slipped a little bit and you or other person lost control would not be a good sight.
AtheK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 00:14   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
I echo sachin concern, that gap is much more then it should be, I am not too worried about the bike, but your feet.
@ Athek, mate I chose the gaps to be a bit widely spaced. When I push or pull the bike up the ramp, I want the front wheel to lock into each of the spaces, and that gives me a margin of safety, especially when its raining.

I tested the ramp several times. It worked fine for me. I have to be attentive when loading / unloading.

Last edited by no_fear : 26th September 2021 at 00:33.
Old 26th September 2021, 01:12   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I push or pull the bike up the ramp, I want the front wheel to lock into each of the spaces, and that gives me a margin of safety, especially when its raining.
Makes sense. The idea is to do it smoothly and quickly. Getting that much amount of weight to sway at that angle can be dangerous.

I guess you’re approach would be similar to this guy who also carries two bikes at the back.

SnS_12 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 06:36   #84
Senior - BHPian

One of the best reviews I have read on the forum. You have really given this beast a much deserved second life. A tough job indeed, and your resources have certainly helped. Please continue to keep us enthralled with how the bike is doing, and your rides.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 09:31   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
I guess you’re approach would be similar to this guy who also carries two bikes at the back.
@SnS, Athek

Yes, I decided to take this approach. The issue with the Isuzu bed is it is not long enough, unlike overseas pick up trucks. Here, most park a bike diagonally on the cab bed. Then the bike is tied down with straps and the cab bed door can be closed.

In my case, I want to park the bikes parallel to the cab bed to carry 2 bikes. I measured most bikes, and average length is about 1.5 meters. The rear wheel of the bike will jut out of the cab bed and rest on the door. That is why I built a separate guard and reinforced the cab bed door with non slip aluminum liner and the hinges to take additional weight.

Last edited by no_fear : 26th September 2021 at 09:32.
no_fear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 10:10   #86
BHPian

Quote:
How I found and saved India’s only 2014 Ducati 1199R – a story of unlikely rescue, revival and restoration
Confession: I have a very short attention span, I open all threads on the home page and after the first few sentences start scrolling for pictures. If I like what I see I hit the like button and thats that.
Just before the start of my workday I opened your thread and somewhere after the second paragraph I realized this post deserves my utmost attention so with great difficulty hit the pause button and made a mental note to start all over again with zero distractions. Wow man, I have not come across a post like this on this nor any other forum ever..period. It is truly worthy of a Netflix documentary.
Some might think/say yeah yeah, this guy has deep pockets so can afford to do this and its nothing great but thats where they are wrong. Case in point the so called deep pockets screwed up the bike miserably in the first place and some one with deep pockets would have given up and bought the latest and greatest toy in the market. No sir, for me this thread has nothing to do about the financial aspect but the fact that there is someone out there with an unsurpassed passion for motorcycles.
Im getting all emotional out here now but not very long ago I lost a very good friend,the most hardcore Ducatista, and a fellow forum member (Ethan Hunt) ,your passion and posts remind me of him, every time.
You sir have my utmost admiration and respect - You are the real deal!

Last edited by deepfreak15 : 26th September 2021 at 10:22.
deepfreak15 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 11:06   #87
BHPian

This without doubt has to be one of the most entertaining threads that I have ever come across on this forum (and our forum has some wild stories)! It was an even bigger of a shocker to me since I am not a bike-head at all but this story kept me glued to my laptop.

You need to take a bow Sir, I for sure know that I wouldn't have had the perseverance to go through the entire ordeal. As cool as a project car/bike sounds, the troubles that come with it are generally not everyone's cup of tea. In this story, we definitely also need to appreciate the proactiveness and spirit to help of Ducati, very commendable!

Congratulations on finally being able to enjoy this legendary bike after all the troubles! Looking forward to more threads on the 1199R!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 18:53   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Some might think/say yeah yeah, this guy has deep pockets so can afford to do this and its nothing great but that's where they are wrong.
@Deepfreak, coming from another passionate biker and Ducatista, this means a lot to me. Thank you very much. Yes, this was never about money. When I first started work on the bike, I found a garage in NCR that can use sealant and do a temporary patch to let me ride the bike for a while. The "jugaad" could hold for 2 months or 6 years. I was told by people I know to do this, and then sell the bike off to the next customer.

But shortcuts in life don't really work out in the long run. Reputation matters a lot. I ignored all the advice and decided to do what I thought was the best. In the end, its a bike that I love. And I wanted to give it my all, even if I fail. Was I delusional? Yes, absolutely. But after seeing so many bikes that are the casualty of poor servicing and maintenance, I felt a line has to be drawn somewhere.

Last edited by no_fear : 26th September 2021 at 19:07.
no_fear is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 00:12   #89
BHPian

Quote:
@Tokengrip, a very valid point. I considered this in the beginning. But then I ran into an issue.

The VCross is a tall vehicle and a shorter ramp means a steeper angle. When I push a bike up the ramp onto the truck bed, the underbody of the bike is going to hit the part where the ramp links with the truck bed. That can damage the bike underbelly / pan. Unless its an ADV, the ground clearance of most sportsbikes are low and it will get stuck. Hence I built a longer ramp with less steep angle for easier unloading / loading and reduce any damage to the bikes.

The electric motors I tried out don't have the torque or power to lift and lower a long ramp due to the weight. In the end I decided manual.

Followed the KISS method (Keep it simple, s****)

Welcome to the forum and thank you. This actually made my day.
You could mount a small atv winch on the floorbed of the pickup to pull the bike up. They can easily haul upto 500kgs Ig I am not mistaken.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 00:36   #90

What an inspiring story! Had me completely hooked. In fact my eyes moistened with joy at the end when you managed to finally find the root causes of all the problems and get them all fixed. Hats off to your passion, perseverance and dedication in accomplishing this enormously challenging task.
AdvanceStarter is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed