Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2023, 08:07   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project

This was a surprise, hearing from you and about the bike being reopened!

To be honest I thought there's something weird going on with this bike and in a way was sliding towards the stereotype of "italian machinery" but.
As earlier both of you proved again that cobwebs and stereotypes are in our heads
The only way to keep clear of these flaws in human thinking is to act, like you guys did.

Hats off(seems like an understatement now) and Godspeed.
Everytime I feel something seems unsolvable I will refer to this thread.
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 16:44   #122
BHPian

Re: How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project

Hats off to your patience and perseverance in reviving this rare Italian stallion (pass on the regards to your brother as well- from one of the many strangers you talk/ interact on the internet)! Hope to see it someday in flesh along with your enchanting collection.
Shanky_1002 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 18:52   #123
BHPian

This was such a heartwarming read!!

Hats off to the dedication of everyone involved in correcting the Ducati which was wronged so horribly. You, sir, along with all others who contributed, should officially be labelled as "A Conservator-Restorer".
Maybe GTO and others can convince/force you to change your handle from no_fear to something more deserving.

If at all possible, do take the beast to Buddha and share some videos please, expecially the Fly-Bys from the Speed Trap Also, I would love to see some Dyno numbers and costs for corrections post the restore.
Old 13th January 2024, 18:52   #124
BHPian

2024 - time to grow.

It is now exactly one year that the 1199R was torn apart and rebuilding commenced. Now that the bike is up and running, I decided to mod it a bit more. I was brainstorming ideas with my brother and wanted to add a few bits and pieces to keep myself sated. Well, I was steamrolled over. I am sure there are many of you who have an older sibling who listens to you and then decides to do whatever they think is best, taking you along for the ride and turning you into a spectator

Well, to keep matters short, my brother produced his aces and went overboard on this 1199R project.

He teamed up with a very famous design house in Italy that works with Ducati and sent out sketches of the front and rear fairings he penned for the bike. He sketched it out in MS paint and then worked with the designer to craft the fairings in carbon fiber and get them custom painted. Concurrently, one of Japan's biggest aftermarket parts maker heard of this 1199R story and decided to throw their hats into the ring. Over the past 6 months, after several iterations, everything was manufactured and then shipped. After all the pieces were installed, I am glad to say the 1199R has turned out to be something far more crazier than I ever expected. Let the pictures do the talking. I will comment on each picture and explain the rationale of the mods.

Working up from the bottom

The first thing to get updated was the entire tail section of the 1199R. The ABS plastic fairings were in good condition but needed a fresh paint and clearcoating. My brother simply got rid of everything and installed brand new carbon fiber fairings. When I mean everything - I literally mean every plastic bit.

Rear tail cowl, fairings, and air vents removed. Carbon fiber rear vent attached.

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-2.jpg

Carbon fiber tail ends and seat rest cowl attached.

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-1.jpg

Rear seat cowl attached The whole tail section is now custom carbon fiber. It's manufactured by Fullsix and custom painted in Italy. The number 23 inscribed on it signifies the rebirth of the bike in 2023 and also my brother's favorite number. You can see my brother is a controlling egomaniac . The fit and finish is perfect to the nearest millimeter. Designing decals on three separate pieces which are not mounted on the bike speaks volumes about how crazy good Italian painters can be.

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-3.jpg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-19.jpg

Next on the list were the rearsets. Years of abuse on the existing pegs meant they were in need of a serious upgrade. I have covered rearsets before in my V4S thread and always liked the Italian makers. Well, my brother proved me wrong. There is one company in Japan that does sublime stuff. They are the true godfathers of customization and each part they make is the stuff of dreams if you are into machining, lathing or cnc. They were piqued about this bike, and decided to collaborate a one-off piece. The red color on the rearsets comes from "alumite" which is anodic oxidation of aluminum that is done in Japan. The stuff is just droolworthy.

Aella - a company in Japan that makes manufacturing magic

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-4.jpg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-10.jpg

Along with this - small bits, like the oil filler plastic cap was swapped with a CNC Racing aluminum cap. Ducabike frame plugs were also added.

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-16.jpg

The tank cap also had aged considerably and was in need of a serious re-paint and reconditioning. Well, that was what I wanted but I was overruled. Enter CNC Pramac Racing quick release tank cap. It has no key - means joy and fun for thieves, only if they can figure out how to operate it.

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-13.jpg

Brake caliper cooler ducts

I personally think brake caliper ducts prolong brake life plus they look super cool. This was something I wanted and got them.

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-22.jpg

Piece de resistance

The final flourish for the 1199 was the front fairing. The OEM one had too many swirl marks, scratches and again needed a full repaint and polish. Also it looked dated. I wanted something that kept the element of 1199 back in 2014, but would be modern and reflect 2024. The design was meticulously chosen and created by my brother who has worked on the fairings for both my V4S and V4R. Well, after many months of ideas, the final product was created.

Front fairing removed

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-6.jpg

New custom carbon fiber fairing attached.

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-20.jpg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-18.jpg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-9.jpg

The decals signify the WSBK paint scheme used by Ducati back in 2014-18. It flows with the rest of the bike, creating three sections - a white fairing, red body, and black tail. The color combo breaks up the monotony of a red Ducati but keeps the looks of the 1199R exactly the same. You will not mistake it for any other bike.

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-12.jpg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-14.jpg

The final icing was a ginormous WRS sticker on the windscreen. Why not - they are the world's best windscreen makers and if they are on VR46 and Pramac MotoGP bikes, they are welcome on mine.

The full package put together, we took it out for a spin on a cold Delhi afternoon. There is no sunlight so the pictures are not the best, but I am quite glad with the final look of the bike. Might do some more work, but for now I am feeling rather smug.

Having picked up the bike in early 2021 and starting 2024, in a span of 3 years, it has been a wild ride with this machine. It has been a lesson in humility, learning, forgiving, staring at an abyss and looking up at a mountain. But the key to all this - never give up, never stop dreaming.

A few snapshots to end this post. Till next time

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-21.jpg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-11.jpg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-8.jpg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-15.jpg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-7.jpg

Last edited by no_fear : 13th January 2024 at 18:56.
no_fear is offline   (91) Thanks
Old 15th January 2024, 10:28   #125
BHPian

This is awe-inspiring work. I think OP has no-fear to the damage done to his wallet

On a curious note, please let us know the cost breakdown of such an undertaking.
shastryBLR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2024, 10:50   #126
BHPian

Having had the pleasure of meeting no_fear in NOIDA last month on a weekend evening, all I can say it is such a pleasure to see how he treats each of his beauties!
Absolutely amazing! Gear up everyone, ride safe.

Kudos to the amount of hard work put in by sir and his brother. The stickers and each decal is just perfect.

Jaw dropping indeed!
shiv11bhargava is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2024, 12:31   #127
BHPian

Amazing work! Kudos to you both for the passion and attention to detail!
Old 15th January 2024, 13:00   #128
BHPian

Sexy, sexy, sexy! The work is terrific. Kudos to your brother and yourself for these upgrades. The changes are superb!

I am also very pleased to hear about the involvement of Fullsix in this project.

That said, I also feel you need a good photoshoot for this bike now. The current pictures don't do enough justice to the upgrades and paintwork!
Old 15th January 2024, 20:01   #129
BHPian

Dude... I am speechless right now. AGAAAIN!!

I remember reading your 1198R journey back when you posted about it's rebirth. I was awestruck back then as well. Now, saw an update on this one and gladly clicked on "page 1" of this thread to re-read it .. or experience it all over again! I have spent a minimum of 2 hrs of uninterrupted reading session of 9 pages before reading the latest update .

It's nothing short of a saga full of emotion, inspiration, dedication, labor and patience.
Godspeed to you and the bike. This statement may not be new to you, but, That 1198R is extremely lucky to have you as it's owner.

Additionally, this tale of rescuing the bike and then giving it the TLC and constant baby care that it receives from you doesn't just exists because it's the ONLY ONE in India, but also because of your love towards such beauties and the fact that you are indeed fearless!

I hope your orphanage keeps growing.

Safe riding.
~NA.
Old 18th January 2024, 11:11   #130

Sir, I have an insane amount of respect for you.

Seeing the bike where it was, its the biggest nightmare for a motorcycle enthusiast. This would have given the most dedicated one of us to take such a big undertaking. This also inspires me to be that little more committed to restoring and having faith in products, as what you have pulled off is nothing short of a miracle.

That motorcycle has got a second life because of you. Wish you all the happy miles on it.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 18th January 2024 at 11:52. Reason: Kindly do not quote the entire post.
Old 31st January 2024, 11:09   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
That is such a gorgeous looking Ducati! So much taste in one motorcycle!

Big bro is right! Steamrolling justified!
Old 3rd February 2024, 17:07   #132
BHPian

One for the ages! There isn't a shred of doubt in my mind that this will go down as one of the most transcendent restore projects in the country. Kudos!
Old 4th February 2024, 21:47   #133
BHPian

To everyone who commented on my recent post - thank you very much for the kind words and appreciation. It means a lot to see fellow compadres who are equally invested in motorcycling.

The entire success of this rebuild has been a team effort, a big chunk of which has been my brother, who is truly a die hard biker. His work on the 1199R is magical, but very few people know of his crazier build with a 2006 Ducati 999.

Wanted to share the story here. During Covid lockdown in 2020, he bought a 2006 Ducati 999 in Singapore and spent 2 years stripping down the bike to its basics, and then rebuilding it to the specs of a Ducati 999R. A bike that was last sold in 2003-2006, 90% of the parts are unavailable, and everyone knows 20 years ago Ducati was not really known for its reliability or its supply chain management. Anyways I digress. My brother shared pictures and videos of this rebuild and I decided to post it here, as an anecdote.

Backstory - 2006 base Ducati. The bike belonged to an older gentleman who used it seldom. Bike was mechanically ok, but needed work done.

Work done - Complete teardown and rebuild. New engine head and headers, gaskets, camshafts, Ohlins front and rear supension, STM EVO WSBK dry slipper clutch, monoposto aluminum rear frame, Bonamici rearsets, Brembo M4 Monoblock custom calipers, Matris steering damper, full custom painted Fila fairings and pretty much a whole boatload of mods and carbon fiber parts that I have lost count of. It took him 2 years to track down the parts, including a Ducati Performance Race ECU to couple with the Termignoni 57mm race exhaust that he installed. This is his road + track bike and it is one of the rarest bikes in Asia.

Enjoy the pictures of this rebuild.

The original bike

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-20211016_103038.jpg

Teardown commences

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-img20221008wa0011.jpg

M4 Monoblock calipers - custom made by Brembo

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-20230406_181350.jpg

Header work

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-20230406_181414.jpg

Rear aluminum frame for converting from a pillion passenger seat to race cowl

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-img20230406wa0001.jpg

STM EVO WSBK Dry Slipper Clutch

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-img20230615wa0029.jpg

The finished product

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-whatsapp-image-20231230-00.56.37_970c098d.jpg

Ducati 999, 1098S, and 1299S - each bike custom built and modded

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-whatsapp-image-20231230-00.56.39_86e0bf28.jpg
no_fear is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 17:59   #134
BHPian

Pictures truly do not do justice to how beautiful that 999 looks and the sound is to be absolutely die for! Avi has a very very keen eye for detail and nothing short of perfection works for him. Adding a couple of pics I took when I dropped by to see him last month.

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-img_2292.jpg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-img_2293.jpg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-img_2291.jpg
RohanDheman is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 10:49   #135
Senior - BHPian

Some pictures from my side too.. Lot of sweat involved in taking these out of their covers and their parking stands and special thanks to Big Bro for trusting me with his beauties and letting me move them around on my own

Starting off with no_fear’s favourite bike from his big bro’s collection the Diesel edition 1100 EVO (limited to 200 models worldwide)

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-img_1263.jpeg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-img_1265.jpeg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-img_1269.jpeg

Its a daily rider and that’s the ODO reading and not the frame no.. Insanity

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-img_1407.jpeg

Big daddy of the L twin 1299. The engine is really big and heavy on this one and I could feel the difference in weight while just moving it around. Its loaded to the brim with aftermarket accessories and will be a beast to ride as well.

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-img_1273.jpeg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-img_1278.jpeg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-img_1271.jpeg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-img_1285.jpeg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-img_1287.jpeg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-img_1290.jpeg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-img_1295.jpeg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-img_1296.jpeg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-img_1297.jpeg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-img_1292.jpeg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-img_1303.jpeg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-img_1304.jpeg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-img_1309.jpeg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-img_1318.jpeg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-img_1319.jpeg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-img_1328.jpeg

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-img_1332.jpeg
SnS_12 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks