Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2008, 21:12   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Fountainheader: I experience the kindly and concerned junta EVERY single day and, since I'm too polite to simply ignore them, I end up waving acknowledgement at them like some smarmy royalty passing by on his steed. I guess they take me for a raving lunatic who doesn't get the message .
Reminds me of the day back in the '90s. I'd see a couple of people waving out to a guy on a SBK who used to living in Indiranagar,everytime he's take his bike out. With daytime running lights on,they'd always ask him to turn them off. He got so fed-up,they'd wave to him,and he'd show them the finger in return.
Old 2nd April 2008, 21:29   #32
Senior - BHPian

I know people who have just installed the switch for this very reason.
Old 3rd April 2008, 00:10   #33
BHPian

I guess if the company sold the bike directly here, in india, they would provide a switch for the headlight, probably its mandatory there to have the lights on all the while.

One question from my side, dont super bikes have something like parking lights?
Old 3rd April 2008, 00:38   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
I guess if the company sold the bike directly here, in india, they would provide a switch for the headlight, probably its mandatory there to have the lights on all the while.

Yes, they do but people don't notice them because the headlights are always lit. On my bike the parking lights were the two front turn signals.
Old 3rd April 2008, 01:05   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Yes, they do but people don't notice them because the headlights are always lit. On my bike the parking lights were the two front turn signals.
You mean outside the head light console, like on a bullet?
Nah, I meant an option of having just the parking lights on.
understandably,They would be on when the hi/lo beam is switched on though, like on any other automobile, so wont be noticed.
Old 3rd April 2008, 02:29   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You mean outside the head light console, like on a bullet?
Nah, I meant an option of having just the parking lights on.
understandably,They would be on when the hi/lo beam is switched on though, like on any other automobile, so wont be noticed.
No, in these bikes the parking lights are inside the headlight assembly. Some of the bikes from Europe had the option to just switch on the parking light. These days I don't think they do. My bike being from the US had it as well. When you install a switch to turn the headlight off the parking lights still remain on (I think I remember seeing a few bikes like that).

I know that when you turn on the ignition of the R1, the parking lights turn on and only when you start the engine, will the headlights turn on. In Honda's, the headlights turn on the moment you turn the ignition on. In the picture below, you can see the small parking lights next to the high beam. The projectors are the low beam. Funnily though, in the Busa, the projector is the high beam.
Attached Thumbnails
Superbikes - Headlights Always ON ??-dsc00311.jpg  

Last edited by straight6 : 3rd April 2008 at 02:38.
Old 3rd April 2008, 07:02   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
netchef : I ride with my Blade headlights switched on ... Does it make a difference? I think so. I certainly spot a bike or car running its lights long before I would another ..
Simple as that !

I make it a point to switch on my head-lights when driving in rains. And I'm not talking of a bike here.
Old 10th April 2008, 10:43   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Reminds me of the day back in the '90s. I'd see a couple of people waving out to a guy on a SBK who used to living in Indiranagar,everytime he's take his bike out. With daytime running lights on,they'd always ask him to turn them off. He got so fed-up,they'd wave to him,and he'd show them the finger in return.
But it is distracting and a nuisance as you need to take one hand off the handlebar to make any gesture- rude or otherwise, and it could prove dangerous (for the rider).

Quote:

Mine is an old Blade and the parking light rides above (and outside) the headlight cluster. Though I ride with H/lights on, I always switch them off before restarting to reduce strain on the battery but, from what I've been reading in these columns, that will not be an option in the newer machines with permanent lights.

Quote:
No, in these bikes the parking lights are inside the headlight assembly. Some of the bikes from Europe had the option to just switch on the parking light. These days I don't think they do. My bike being from the US had it as well. When you install a switch to turn the headlight off the parking lights still remain on (I think I remember seeing a few bikes like that).

I know that when you turn on the ignition of the R1, the parking lights turn on and only when you start the engine, will the headlights turn on. In Honda's, the headlights turn on the moment you turn the ignition on. In the picture below, you can see the small parking lights next to the high beam. The projectors are the low beam. Funnily though, in the Busa, the projector is the high beam.
Lovely bike, Straight6. What sort of beam do the projectors throw? Always wondered about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Simple as that !

I make it a point to switch on my head-lights when driving in rains. And I'm not talking of a bike here.
Condor: Seems more necessary in a car as visibility from the inside out is furthered hampered by the refraction through the windshield. Therefore, if you can't see them too well, it's likely the other way round too ...is my logic.
Old 10th April 2008, 11:12   #39
Senior - BHPian

How many people in India switch on their headlights during rain ? They never follow the rule which says "Turn on headlights when you switch on the wiper". Maybe carmakers should tie the wiper to the headlights somehow.
Old 10th April 2008, 11:27   #40
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 10th April 2008 at 15:45.
samyakmodi is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th April 2008, 11:30   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
How many people in India switch on their headlights during rain ? They never follow the rule which says "Turn on headlights when you switch on the wiper". Maybe carmakers should tie the wiper to the headlights somehow.
Auto wiper-lights shouldn't be difficult- the Subaru s of the 80s had auto wiper-4WD.
Old 10th April 2008, 11:33   #42
BHPian

Quote:

yeah the super bikes have parking lights, but then its easier to spot a bike with the headlight on as compared to the one with just the parking on. parking light being just the parking light is more of a candle as compared to the headlamp.

and i completely agree that the daytime light is a major pain.everyone gestures,and when you dont respond,they think its some rich fool. i also wonder why do people think SBK owners are uber rich.

i just got a 06 600rr, and it attracts more comments than concern. everyone on the road doesnt forget to tell me that one headlamp is off. n its impossible to tell them why.

any tips?
Old 10th April 2008, 11:54   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
yeah the super bikes have parking lights, but then its easier to spot a bike with the headlight on as compared to the one with just the parking on. parking light being just the parking light is more of a candle as compared to the headlamp.

and i completely agree that the daytime light is a major pain.everyone gestures,and when you dont respond,they think its some rich fool. i also wonder why do people think SBK owners are uber rich.

i just got a 06 600rr, and it attracts more comments than concern. everyone on the road doesnt forget to tell me that one headlamp is off. n its impossible to tell them why.

any tips?
Congrats again, SM. Please post pics of your bike.
Old 10th April 2008, 20:59   #44
Senior - BHPian

I just picked up a 2004 Suzuki SV650S,and its got the daytime running lights. The problem is that it actually causes quite a bit of battery drainage. This was fixed in the '05 model,where the lights go out on its own,when starting a bike.
Old 10th April 2008, 21:07   #45
BHPian

Quote:

Ahh now i completely understand that bit!
Thanks for the pic

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks