Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Ducati officially launched in INDIA - 15 to 50 lakhs (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/39337-ducati-officially-launched-india-15-50-lakhs-6.html)

anupam9557 28th August 2010 16:08

My cake goes for Buying a Gixxer or a busa.paying 3-4 times the amount and buying a duke aint practical. Paying more and you don't get the power of suzuki's. The Duke 1198s got 147PS power.Thats bad. The gixxer pouts out 193 ps and it is cheaper. Which does make sense here?:D

Haroon 28th August 2010 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedy (Post 2046169)
I am just a lay man thinking aloud. If i had to pay 20 or 30 lakhs for one bike (Ducati) compared to 25 lakhs for a cruiser and a sports (Suzuki representing the Jap stable), what would go for. I would get the Suzuki's. The reason is simple i get two great bikes, one super sport and the other a cruiser. I have service backing even in other states if i am into long distance riding. As a practical person the Jap bikes make more sense to me. Please do correct me as i am a novice in this field, i think with me brains and not the heart :) .

You have put it perfectly Speedy. Think with the head and any day the Japs rule. Think with the heart (together with a hefty pocket ofcourse), the Duc & Harley are there for your taking...Sure the Ducs have performance and Harley has unrivalled tradition, but when making a huge investment, most people would look at the best bang for money and ease of ownership.

kau_therock 29th August 2010 02:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by anupam9557 (Post 2046201)
My cake goes for Buying a Gixxer or a busa.paying 3-4 times the amount and buying a duke aint practical. Paying more and you don't get the power of suzuki's. The Duke 1198s got 147PS power.Thats bad. The gixxer pouts out 193 ps and it is cheaper. Which does make sense here?:D

Let me pour in some thoughts.

1. The price difference between a ducati 1198 and a gixxer is roughly around 6L and not 3-4 times as mentioned by you.

2. Ducati 1198s has got 170 HP (and not 147 PS!) whereas a gixxer has 191HP at the tap of the throttle. But Ducati being an L twin has better torque (132 Nm) as compared to the gixxer (108 Nm) which translates to better low end response.

3. You cannot compare an italian bike with a japanese bike. It is like comparing penelope cruz to rakhi sawant. (no offence meant to anyone :) )

and last but not the least. To quote "Paying more and you don't get the power of suzuki's.", ever wondered why a Ducati wins more points than the Suzuki in motogp? ;)

VLOCT 29th August 2010 05:48

Here we go again with the BHP. When has Suzuki won anything last in any serious racing with all the zillion BHPs? I find the power delivery of the Duc so much more enjoyable than my friends YamaSuKawahondas. My 999 with mods has close to 150 BHP but my speeds range from 35 mph to 90 mph max riding on the twisties. I avoid riding on highways cause I find them boring. Where in India can you ride at these speeds except on highways? I don't see our twisties in India safe for these speeds due to the road conditions and driving habits of most drivers. Going in a straight line at 200 mph will get old real fast and a sport bike is definitely the wrong choice for that kind of riding.

speedy 30th August 2010 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by anupam9557 (Post 2046201)
My cake goes for Buying a Gixxer or a busa.paying 3-4 times the amount and buying a duke aint practical. Paying more and you don't get the power of suzuki's. The Duke 1198s got 147PS power.Thats bad. The gixxer pouts out 193 ps and it is cheaper. Which does make sense here?:D

I think you have gone over the top my friend. Gixxer 1000 is for 12.75 lakhs and the Ducati 848 is for 15-17 odd lakhs. The 1198s runs in 35 Lakhs odd. I dont see a 3-4 times the value here, unless u meant 3 to 4 lakhs difference.
As far as power goes no two companies make enough power to satisfy anyones need, we have become greedy you know. There are different power bands to suit everyones needs. Its like saying take a drag car and go for a cross country offroad condition drive, while you have a SUV standing in the garage. So the point being is i would not hold Bhp of a bike as the reason to buy it. I would see my riding style and the reason i want it (tack, street or interstate) and choose accordingly.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Haroon (Post 2046366)
but when making a huge investment, most people would look at the best bang for money and ease of ownership.

In India thats how it is seen. Value for money. I have seen people asking for discounts when purchasing a Rolls Royce, this is a humble bike :).



Quote:

Originally Posted by kau_therock (Post 2046763)

3. You cannot compare an italian bike with a japanese bike. It is like comparing penelope cruz to rakhi sawant. (no offence meant to anyone :) )

and last but not the least. To quote "Paying more and you don't get the power of suzuki's.", ever wondered why a Ducati wins more points than the Suzuki in motogp? ;)

I dont quite think thats the case anymore. Italian bikes some are fully hand built and some use part hand and part robots. The Japanese bikes use the same. The only difference is one is mass produced and the other is in limited numbers. Knowledge gained from watching Twist the Throttle on discovery turbo. The only thing that differenciates them is ones a legacy thats built by the heart and the other is like a nuvo rich built with profits in mind.

This unfortunatly is not a Suzuki versus Ducati battle but Price battle of the Superbikes in India. The Japs combined would take the maximum Motogp points over the Italian stallions :D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VLOCT (Post 2046781)
Where in India can you ride at these speeds except on highways? I don't see our twisties in India safe for these speeds due to the road conditions and driving habits of most drivers. Going in a straight line at 200 mph will get old real fast and a sport bike is definitely the wrong choice for that kind of riding.

agree:, The ideal bikes for Indian conditions would be the Bandit kinds or cruisers. A sportsbike above say 600cc or max 1000cc would be enough for our country. The biggest problem is you have to anticipate what the person next to you is going to do. You have your fair share of rash and unsafe drivers and riders who think they have bought the road as they hold a license.

kau_therock 31st August 2010 04:29

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by speedy (Post 2048205)
I think you have gone over the top my friend. Gixxer 1000 is for 12.75 lakhs and the Ducati 848 is for 15-17 odd lakhs. The 1198s runs in 35 Lakhs odd. I dont see a 3-4 times the value here, unless u meant 3 to 4 lakhs difference.
As far as power goes no two companies make enough power to satisfy anyones need, we have become greedy you know. There are different power bands to suit everyones needs. Its like saying take a drag car and go for a cross country offroad condition drive, while you have a SUV standing in the garage. So the point being is i would not hold Bhp of a bike as the reason to buy it. I would see my riding style and the reason i want it (tack, street or interstate) and choose accordingly.

I dont quite think thats the case anymore. Italian bikes some are fully hand built and some use part hand and part robots. The Japanese bikes use the same. The only difference is one is mass produced and the other is in limited numbers. Knowledge gained from watching Twist the Throttle on discovery turbo. The only thing that differenciates them is ones a legacy thats built by the heart and the other is like a nuvo rich built with profits in mind.

This unfortunatly is not a Suzuki versus Ducati battle but Price battle of the Superbikes in India. The Japs combined would take the maximum Motogp points over the Italian stallions :D.

Well, seems you are confusing between 1198S and 1198R :p 1198S sells for around 2.2 mil whereas the R spec goes for around 4.0 mil.

Agreed there is not much difference between how the Japanese and the Italian bikes are built. But then again, as you said, one is made with heart the other with mind.
Not to forget the ducati comes with top spec brembo brakes and trellis frame. ;)
Also, I would go with you regarding the pricing. They should have priced it a bit lower. But hey, if you can buy an evo for 5.0 mil, a prius for 2.4 mil, I would anyway go for the ducati at 2.2 mil. :D (ducati fanboy you know)

Edit: forgot to add the latest price list. Here it is. Courtesy XBhp

speedy 31st August 2010 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by kau_therock (Post 2049322)
Well, seems you are confusing between 1198S and 1198R :p 1198S sells for around 2.2 mil whereas the R spec goes for around 4.0 mil.

Agreed there is not much difference between how the Japanese and the Italian bikes are built. But then again, as you said, one is made with heart the other with mind.
Not to forget the ducati comes with top spec brembo brakes and trellis frame. ;)
Also, I would go with you regarding the pricing. They should have priced it a bit lower. But hey, if you can buy an evo for 5.0 mil, a prius for 2.4 mil, I would anyway go for the ducati at 2.2 mil. :D (ducati fanboy you know)

Edit: forgot to add the latest price list. Here it is. Courtesy XBhp


My friend owns the 1198s here and i have posted pictures in the superbike in India thread. He told me 35 Lakhs is what he paid. The 1198R (1 sold till date) is for 55Lakhs and this bike is more of a status buy then a usage buy.
I completely agree with you and the others on most counts discussed here. Ducati is for the heart and the japs for the brain thinkers. If i had loads to spend i would get a MV Agusta for myself. A person buying the bike of this calliber hardly cares for what brakes it comes with, he knows he can throw them out and replace it with better ones. My friend has some race brakes (sorry dont know the names) on his Gixxer 1000 and the other one on the R1. Even if you go and customise your Ducati on their website you can alter the handling and look, weight of the bike, these are options that any bike can have if you have the money to spend.

I am not saying that Ducati should reduce the price to a Jap SBK cause that would not be justified for the Marque. I am only trying to say they should have had it in the 10 lakh bracket for the 848 and the 1198 should have been in the 20 lakh range on road. The Evo is way to expensive but people have not bought it yet as the car is not launched here. When it does get available have a look as to its sales figure, the Evo would do a Ducati. The price list is the current one and the bikes bought by these people is from the old list and one of the first ones.

kau_therock 31st August 2010 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedy (Post 2049803)
My friend owns the 1198s here and i have posted pictures in the superbike in India thread. He told me 35 Lakhs is what he paid. The 1198R (1 sold till date) is for 55Lakhs and this bike is more of a status buy then a usage buy.
I completely agree with you and the others on most counts discussed here. Ducati is for the heart and the japs for the brain thinkers. If i had loads to spend i would get a MV Agusta for myself. A person buying the bike of this calliber hardly cares for what brakes it comes with, he knows he can throw them out and replace it with better ones. My friend has some race brakes (sorry dont know the names) on his Gixxer 1000 and the other one on the R1. Even if you go and customise your Ducati on their website you can alter the handling and look, weight of the bike, these are options that any bike can have if you have the money to spend.

I am not saying that Ducati should reduce the price to a Jap SBK cause that would not be justified for the Marque. I am only trying to say they should have had it in the 10 to 12 lakh bracket for the 848 and the 1198 should have been in the 20 lakh range on road. The Evo is way to expensive but people have not bought it yet as the car is not launched here. When it does get available have a look as to its sales figure, the Evo would do a Ducati.

Well, as always, this will be a never ending debate, as to which bike is the best. Though as far as I am concerned, I will listen to my heart anyday. :p

speedy 31st August 2010 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by kau_therock (Post 2049830)
Well, as always, this will be a never ending debate, as to which bike is the best. Though as far as I am concerned, I will listen to my heart anyday. :p

No dispute on that, each to their own :). I am just being a critic on the Price front for Ducati to be a little more active with the SBK owners. I use both the heart and the brain. I would go in for the Japs if i am to buy a bike in India, if abroad then the Italian stallions and the Harley, atleast i would be able to enjoy the bikes.

sriramv.iyer 31st August 2010 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by kau_therock (Post 2049322)

Edit: forgot to add the latest price list. Here it is. Courtesy XBhp

kau: Is this the latest price list? The price of Monster and 848 looks quite tempting! (I think our Sawyer should see this!) - I saw higher prices in some of the xBHP threads. I am *very* curious!

Ducati over a inconspicuous Bandit :D (Strictly, IMO :-) )

kau_therock 31st August 2010 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer (Post 2050442)
kau: Is this the latest price list? The price of Monster and 848 looks quite tempting! (I think our Sawyer should see this!) - I saw higher prices in some of the xBHP threads. I am *very* curious!

Ducati over a inconspicuous Bandit :D (Strictly, IMO :-) )

well, this one is for the month of June. I heard they had further slashed the prices for the 848 making it close to 13L on road. Very tempting I must say. ;)

Sawyer 1st September 2010 07:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer (Post 2050442)
kau: Is this the latest price list? The price of Monster and 848 looks quite tempting! (I think our Sawyer should see this!) - I saw higher prices in some of the xBHP threads. I am *very* curious!

Ducati over a inconspicuous Bandit :D (Strictly, IMO :-) )

I have seen this - indeed this was known earlier, that the 796 monster would be sold for 7.99 lakhs by September.
It is not just the price, it is the super looks and the much lighter weight of the Monster that appeal. It will be an easier, more flickable city ride, and ok for occasional highway runs. More character in the engine as well.
Concerns - riding position may put strain on wrists and back on long rides.
Biggest concerns, italian reliability, preventive maintenance costs, and poor service back up in India. On the last three points, it is the Bandit that is a very clear winner.

prasadee 1st September 2010 21:13

+1 to all the Ducati Monster suggestions. In fact Monsters are very popular on the small streets of Nice, and Monte Carlo. They are great for street riding. Sporty, but also a little upright to be able to check for traffic/mirrors at ease. I have seen Monster 400s in Europe that are mighty impressive. The newer 800s are certainly much more capable and fun. If the heart wants italian fine art, and you find that within your budget, thats a good life. Best wishes to your dad!

sriramv.iyer 1st September 2010 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by kau_therock (Post 2050782)
well, this one is for the month of June. I heard they had further slashed the prices for the 848 making it close to 13L on road. Very tempting I must say. ;)

I should say... Holy Kau :D - 848 is now very tempting too - I think Monster M796 @ 7.99 should be ideal to go to near bankruptcy...


Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer (Post 2050931)
I have seen this - indeed this was known earlier, that the 796 monster would be sold for 7.99 lakhs by September.
It is not just the price, it is the super looks and the much lighter weight of the Monster that appeal. It will be an easier, more flickable city ride, and ok for occasional highway runs. More character in the engine as well.
Concerns - riding position may put strain on wrists and back on long rides.
Biggest concerns, italian reliability, preventive maintenance costs, and poor service back up in India. On the last three points, it is the Bandit that is a very clear winner.

Sawyer, I owe you a treat if M796 is being sold @ 7.99 L.... I'll take a risk with the monster. I was too tempted to get a Bandit when it was launched too. Your thread exactly reflects some of the dilemmas I had.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prasadee (Post 2052130)
+1 to all the Ducati Monster suggestions.
...
The newer 800s are certainly much more capable and fun. If the heart wants italian fine art, and you find that within your budget, thats a good life.

+1 bro..

Does anyone know how to contact Ducati India / Precision Motors? Can we get the bike in Bangalore?

kau_therock 2nd September 2010 01:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer (Post 2052259)
I should say... Holy Kau :D - 848 is now very tempting too - I think Monster M796 @ 7.99 should be ideal to go to near bankruptcy...




Sawyer, I owe you a treat if M796 is being sold @ 7.99 L.... I'll take a risk with the monster. I was too tempted to get a Bandit when it was launched too. Your thread exactly reflects some of the dilemmas I had.



+1 bro..

Does anyone know how to contact Ducati India / Precision Motors? Can we get the bike in Bangalore?

yeah, it surely is holy :p
try calling up the numbers mentioned on their website


Quote:

Tel. +91(22)67450000
Fax. +91(22)67450045
info@ducati.co.in
Though I did mail them for some information. They did not even bother to reply me back. And since me being in Newcastle atm, cannot call them up. Lets see. :Frustrati


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:21.