Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2005, 03:22   #16
BHPian

I found a similar query on indiabike.com.....hope this helps..

[font=Verdana][size=2]PRAMOD JAMPALA question: How can I import a vehicle from USA to India? Are there any mechanics capable of repairing an imported bike in india

Indiabike's answer: IF BIKE IS BRAND NEW, THEN IMPORT DUTY (IMPORT TAX) IS ABOUT 80% OF INVOICE VALUE. HOWEVER, IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A BIKE IN USA WHICH YOU CAN LEAGALLY PROVE TO HAVE OWNED AND USED FOR OVER A YEAR (THE BIKE IS REGISTERED IN YOUR NAME AS PROVED BY REGISTRATION AND INSURANCE PAPERS), AND IF YOU HAVE PAID INCOME TAX IN USA, THEN YOU CAN BRING IT IN WITHOUT IMPORT TAX AS PERSONAL GOODS UNDER "TRANSFER OF RESIDENCE' RULES, IN WHICH CASE YOU CANNOT LEGALLY SELL THE BIKE IN INDIA FOR AT LEAST ONE YEAR. [/size][/font]
Old 4th June 2005, 11:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

all this has been discussed in detail earlier with registration details too!!!
use the search option!!
Old 4th June 2005, 12:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

aight thanks guys ... will run a search on it ...
Old 14th December 2005, 07:57   #19

Bringing in Sportbike from the states?

Was hoping someone has some firsthand knowledge about the process and costs associated with importing bikes. Living here in the US currently and plan to keep travelling to India often and would like to bring a bike or two back with me to ride around in Bangalore...
Thanks in advance for any info..
Old 14th December 2005, 08:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

hey
for a new bike - you need to pay 80% duty when you bring it in india..
for a bike which you have owned for a year and above ,with registration and invoice in your name plus if you have paid income tax in USA you can bring in the bike without an import duty under the transfer of goods while shifting residence clause i think ...

Regulations may also require that you may not sell the bike for atleast one year (or more?) after import..

do double check on this ..

cheers
Old 14th December 2005, 09:43   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
hey
for a new bike - you need to pay 80% duty when you bring it in india..
for a bike which you have owned for a year and above ,with registration and invoice in your name plus if you have paid income tax in USA you can bring in the bike without an import duty under the transfer of goods while shifting residence clause i think ...

Regulations may also require that you may not sell the bike for atleast one year (or more?) after import..

do double check on this ..

cheers
WoW that is great news....can anyone confirm this for me....I plan to own a lot of bikes in the future and would like to bring all of them back to India one by one.
Old 14th December 2005, 14:17   #22
BHPian

ya..watever turbo_lover said is correct ergarding the transfer of residence part..however the customs on a new bike is not 80% but 105% which is the reason why most people in india prefer to buy big bikes here rather than import it themselves..
Old 14th December 2005, 15:06   #23
BHPian

You can maybe get in touch with Dream Bikes in Pune.... they offer sales and logistics support for Superbikes imports in India. Their address is

Dream Bikes, Harjeet Singh Makkar ( Bunty ), Sales and Logistical support of superbikes. 6, M.G Road Pune - 411001.
Phone : 09890220555, 020-26134580, 020-26138959. Workshop : 020 - 56224096
Hope this helps...
Old 14th December 2005, 15:19   #24
Team-BHP Support

If you are transfering residence, then do it yourself. No sense payng someone else a ton of money.

And I think the limit is one vehicle, so forget your plans about bringing 10
Old 14th December 2005, 22:34   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
If you are transfering residence, then do it yourself. No sense payng someone else a ton of money.

And I think the limit is one vehicle, so forget your plans about bringing 10
Would't I be able to bring one every year or something???
Old 15th December 2005, 10:06   #26
Team-BHP Support

Threads merged. This should serve as the thread for questions regarding import of vehicles into India.
Old 15th December 2005, 11:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwingop
Would't I be able to bring one every year or something???
you will shift ur residence every year? (with proof of shifting)
Old 28th February 2006, 02:51   #28
BHPian

Importing Motorcycle - Need Advice

Hello All,
I currently own a Suzuki Katana 600 and I'm planning to buy a litre bike next month. Mostly a Gixxer 1000.
One of my cousin's in Pune has a Hayabusa and he was telling me about this law that if i've owned a vehicle abroad for atleast 17months then I can import a car or bike for a meagre sum (very little custom duty or no custom duty at all or something like that) under the change of residence section bla bla....I'm asking cause I'm mostly moving to India later next year and if this law applies then I think I should get my motorcycle asap.
I know that there several members on our "Team..." who have their own motorcycles or some of you import motorcycles or some'....so I thought you guys will be able to help me .
1. Is there any such change of residence law? Or is it too good to be true?
2. Is it easy to import a bike if you already own it or do I have to import "my own already existing bike" through the auto-importer.
I'm planning to import these two motorcycles (my katana 600 and the new litre bike that i'll buy).

Do let me know guys.

Regards
Blaze
Old 28th February 2006, 03:00   #29
Senior - BHPian

Yes,bro. Good news.

Its called Transfer of Residence.

Before bringing it down, i suggest u check the market prices of ur bikes in India and check if its worth the hassle of bringing it down here.
Old 28th February 2006, 03:06   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Before bringing it down, i suggest u check the market prices of ur bikes in India and check if its worth the hassle of bringing it down here.
I agree - there's no such thing as very little or no customs duty at all. You'll still pay a decent amount. Checked out some 2nd hand bike prices in India and I think the guys with the connections still manage to get it thru at decent enough prices for you to be able to buy one in India for just slightly more - saves you the hassles of importing one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks