Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2008, 02:55   #46

Manson,

thanks for the quick reply, but I am not coming on TR.
I have some connections locally in Gujarat where I can get the bike registered.
What I am really wondering is would it be possible to ship the bike in Parts (separate shipments) and pay duty just on the value of the parts listed.
Sorry for the confusion in the previous post.
Once again thanks for your help.
Old 16th December 2008, 10:16   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit_Sanghvi View Post
Manson,

thanks for the quick reply, but I am not coming on TR.
I have some connections locally in Gujarat where I can get the bike registered.
What I am really wondering is would it be possible to ship the bike in Parts (separate shipments) and pay duty just on the value of the parts listed.
Sorry for the confusion in the previous post.
Once again thanks for your help.
Then you would have to invoice it someone from Gujrat on whose name the bike will be imported into the country. He can then sell it, use it, do what he likes with it.
But whilst importing a used bike, you cannot import one older than four years which is however not applicable in your case. But in your case the bike has to be of atleast 800 cc or higher.
If you are looking to save duty, and importing in parts, then just buy one of the baggage imports here in India, you'd probably spend an extra 500-1000 USD, but then you have no headache of breaking and refitting the bike, importing it etc

To give you an idea, a 2006 Liter class with baggage papers should be around 6L.

manson.
Old 16th December 2008, 19:58   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Then you would have to invoice it someone from Gujrat on whose name the bike will be imported into the country. He can then sell it, use it, do what he likes with it.
But whilst importing a used bike, you cannot import one older than four years which is however not applicable in your case. But in your case the bike has to be of atleast 800 cc or higher.
If you are looking to save duty, and importing in parts, then just buy one of the baggage imports here in India, you'd probably spend an extra 500-1000 USD, but then you have no headache of breaking and refitting the bike, importing it etc

To give you an idea, a 2006 Liter class with baggage papers should be around 6L.

manson.
Thanks for the reply...I was wondering if you could give me contact details for where I can pick one of these baggage bikes up from. Also what are the rules for importing parts for the bike?? I would like to import parts to replace worn out ones.
The only reason I wanted to go through the trouble of bringing the bike from the US in parts and then reassembling it is because I built it myself. I cannot sell my chopper under any circumstances and it has a 80ci harley engine with a 250mm rear tire.
Old 16th December 2008, 21:05   #49

Hey can someone also tell me what the price of a brand new R6 or Cbr600rr is??
Thanks in advance.
Old 16th December 2008, 21:26   #50
Team-BHP Support

There are a lot of dealers now, almost everyone wants to earn a quick buck from these after dhoom. But you're better off hooking up with a bike through a personal contact unless you don't mind being taken for a ride. Some (read a handful through the country)dealers are good though.
Drop me a pm once you're down, and I'll hook you up with a dealer or two in your vicinity.

manson.
Old 17th December 2008, 14:47   #51
BHPian

In that case why dont you do a TR? you can always do it again after 3 years . If you are doing the TR parts dont attract any duty .

Most of the baggage bike guys get theirs from Asia itself . Dunno if they can help you with the US.
Old 17th December 2008, 15:50   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
you can always do it again after 3 years
What do you mean by this?
Old 25th December 2008, 13:43   #53
BHPian

Trying to discover a hole in this structure. What does "Transfer of Residence" really imply? It does mean that all the permanent residence visas in foreign is canceled, but how kind of regulations apply if the person is deciding to move back to foreign.
Old 30th December 2008, 00:34   #54

Hi All,
I need some serious help again. I have built a custom chopper and wish to bring it to India with me in May. It hasn't been registered yet and does not have a MSO. I have certificates for the engine, chassis, tranny etc but the bike has been built by me. I need to know how in the hell do I bring this to India. I have absolutely no problem dismantling it. Can someone please provide a detailed answer or a contact number of someone I could talk to. Thanks.
Old 30th December 2008, 12:59   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
What do you mean by this?
A transfer of residence can be done once in 3 years - and you need to have stayed abroad for over 2 years in the 3 year period. So technically you can do a TR every 3 years .

No cancellation of visas is needed.

Last edited by prabhuav : 30th December 2008 at 13:03.
Old 30th December 2008, 13:15   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit_Sanghvi View Post
Hi All,
I need some serious help again. I have built a custom chopper and wish to bring it to India with me in May. It hasn't been registered yet and does not have a MSO. I have certificates for the engine, chassis, tranny etc but the bike has been built by me. I need to know how in the hell do I bring this to India. I have absolutely no problem dismantling it. Can someone please provide a detailed answer or a contact number of someone I could talk to. Thanks.

Disclaimer - not all that I am saying here will be completely legal -

Very simple - take the title of your car and make a high quality scan image of the same. Using a good editor plonk in the engine and frame numbers on to the image.
Make sure that the ownership dates are at least a year old
Make sure that you put in the bike as a Harley that is over 7 years old (this way you get all the depreciation) Get a high quality print. Now you have a title to show the customs guy . You can always tell them that you had to surrender the original at the US DMV. I did that as my shipper needed the title to clear the export of my bike in Florida and sent my original title to my US address where I no longer lived. hence when it came to customs time all I had was a xerox. Now if a xerox works, so can a modified xerox

Catch yourself a good agent and pay full duty on your "Harley" , and voila you have completely clean paperwork in India
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:11   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Apart from my VFR which I imported myself and a Ducati that my friend imported most as you say have come in through the contraband route.

Its about time the DRI nailed these crooks. Apart from the govt being shortchanged on duties, the bikes run on fake papers and worse are pathetically put together.

These bikes seem to have found favour with people wanting to enjoy superbikes bought with unaccounted cash
And who are these crooks are you talking about??? Buyers or Sellers??? If I were to pay 25lac for my Vmax, its quite obvious I would try another legal route. There are ways of doing things which are legal & then there's the other way which I dont want to get into. There's a very thin line between right & wrong.
Old 3rd March 2009, 15:09   #58
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneroller View Post
If I were to pay 25lac for my Vmax, its quite obvious I would try another legal route.
Unless you intend underinvoicing, which is illegal, what other legal route are you referring to?

If you import the machine yourself, at best, you save on importer and dealer commissions, which could be 2 lacs I reckon on a 12 lac bike.
Old 3rd March 2009, 15:29   #59
BHPian

Will surely let you know mate. There are other LEGAL ways. Once mine comes in, I'll put it up on an open forum after that. If it aint possible, well then it'll be a sad day for my VMAX dream
Old 3rd March 2009, 19:26   #60
BHPian

Penalty??

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6
There is a penalty for importing personally.

Well actually the best way to know that the bike is a clean import is to post pictures of it in the metal cage when it lands here in one piece.

Don't we already know a guy who imported a CBR and paid 13L for it and it was still under valued a "little bit"? Now he's hiding the bike. Lol. Then why pay that much? Just buy it from here for 9.5L
Can anybody shed some more light on the point of "Penalty for Importing Personally" ?
I'm planning to import one myself.. so was wondering..

Regards,
J.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks