Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2010, 07:31   #46
BHPian

Re: BMW India to sell Motorcycles from December 2010

Check out the R1200GS on a racetrack.

I wouldnt call that slow on any road in the planet! after all it has a reputation of being an 'sbk' hunter in the right hands...
Old 26th December 2010, 20:10   #47
Senior - BHPian

What is the Price of the R1200GS in india.has it been launched/delivered in india yet officially?
Old 28th December 2010, 20:50   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
What is the Price of the R1200GS in india.has it been launched/delivered in india yet officially?
The first R1200GS is being delivered in bangalore at an on-road price of 22 laks
Old 28th December 2010, 20:54   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
The first R1200GS is being delivered in bangalore at an on-road price of 22 laks
22 lakhs on Road
thats a eyewatering Price tag.
there go my Dreams.
Sigh.
Old 28th December 2010, 22:12   #50
Senior - BHPian

Hmm.So a price of about 20 lakhs in north india i guess.Well even if someone manages to get his hands on it i doubt it will be put to the use its meant to be.

I wish the F650GS and the F800GS both of which sport a 800cc twin cylinder mill were launched in india.They would have equalled a price of about 9 lakhs each.

The thinking of these marketing geniuses and their reasons!

They made great decisions in the car sector by launching the cheapest mainstream luxury car and they make the biggest mistake by entering with the highest priced options in the bike sector.

Suddenly there is Deja vu.
Old 28th December 2010, 22:29   #51
Senior - BHPian

22 lakhs ? .History repeats itself ? .BMW guys are complete idiots .
Old 31st December 2010, 11:08   #52
Senior - BHPian

Does the R1200GS with the onboard computer have the power modes like the Multistrada? For example power mode for city with less power and linear power delivery.and touring with full power and linear power delivery and a race mode with full power and snappy power delivery.

It does have the option of electronic suspension adjustment though.
Old 31st December 2010, 13:35   #53
Team-BHP Support

Here's more, BMW have also delivered their first S 1000 RR in India last week. The bike costed the owner a little over 24 L. It is a different story that the bike was specially air lifted and delivered within no time.

manson.
Old 1st January 2011, 19:09   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Does the R1200GS with the onboard computer have the power modes like the Multistrada? For example power mode for city with less power and linear power delivery.and touring with full power and linear power delivery and a race mode with full power and snappy power delivery.

It does have the option of electronic suspension adjustment though.
No, the GS does not have the power mode like the MS. The power mode on the MS is 150 horses for sport and about 100 horses for touring. At the end of it I think the ultimate power depends on the right wrist of the riders and you dont need a prefixed mode for that. I however like the FOB keyless system on the MS and the button switch for the handle lock. But again, the europeans are packing too much technology into bikes that means more things to go wrong! For example on many 06-07 GS bikes, there was the dreaded EWS problems, which could leave you stranded on the road for a very silly reason (a small part around the ignition key) and then you had to take it to a BMW authorized dealer to reset the module etc.

Anyway, the oil change/service interval of the BMW GS is 10,000kms whereas on the Multistrada it is a whooping 24,000kms. But make no mistake, the MS is still a sport bike with upright seating position & capable of touring on tarmac. Its not exactly a capable off-roader like the 1200GS
Old 1st January 2011, 20:02   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm.So a price of about 20 lakhs in north india i guess.Well even if someone manages to get his hands on it i doubt it will be put to the use its meant to be.

I wish the F650GS and the F800GS both of which sport a 800cc twin cylinder mill were launched in india.They would have equalled a price of about 9 lakhs each.

The thinking of these marketing geniuses and their reasons!

They made great decisions in the car sector by launching the cheapest mainstream luxury car and they make the biggest mistake by entering with the highest priced options in the bike sector.

Suddenly there is Deja vu.
There is some logic behind the decision.
By launching the bikes at such high prices, they're aiming to create a luxurious and exclusive image (I'm not saying they don't carry such an image already, but I mean with respect to competitors such as Ducati, Harley Davidson etc.)

Once BMW has achieved their desired positioning with the 20 lakh and higher bikes, they will launch more affordable bikes, after all, the high end premium image has already been created.

Last edited by kadanaJ : 1st January 2011 at 20:03.
Old 1st January 2011, 20:04   #56
Senior - BHPian

Well as per my understanding the 24000 service interval is for the major service.which is checking valve clearance etc which goes wrong on ducatis every now and then.The regular oil interval should be still 10k.Basically after a level of engineering on the engine it all depends on the oil as to how long it would last.

Moreover the infamous ducati unreliability is somehting which i actually am afraid of.Also in case of getting stranded i hope bmw in india would provide the same support that it provides for the car.Whereas Ducati is hopeless even abroad and would be even worse in india.I have read about owners having to wait for 2 months and counting for a simple gasket for the engine.and this is in UK.

Which is the BMW R1200GS being offered in india? the Standard one or the Adventure one?

Also haroon since you're a owner what is your opinion about the electronic suspension settings and the onboard computer and the abs etc.Are they worth it.

Basically what do you suggest for a superbike rider who now wants to shift to a go anywhere bike.A newbie on the adventure biking genre.
Old 1st January 2011, 20:31   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
There is some logic behind the decision.
By launching the bikes at such high prices, they're aiming to create a luxurious and exclusive image (I'm not saying they don't carry such an image already, but I mean with respect to competitors such as Ducati, Harley Davidson etc.)

Once BMW has achieved their desired positioning with the 20 lakh and higher bikes, they will launch more affordable bikes, after all, the high end premium image has already been created.
I actually don't buy that ideology.Harley and Ducati have bikes double that price.And they launched the entire price range in india together.And they still have a niche category.
Everything western has a niche category india.

The main reason why the 800 series bikes are not here is that they are actually 798 or 799 cc which are not allowed by law to be imported as CBUs.So BMW has to setup a assembly plant for those bikes.And as it is they have no cheap bikes in the 1200 series.
Old 2nd January 2011, 01:03   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
F650, 652 cc, 48 bhp single cylinder.

Launch price: 5,30,000
price cut after 18 months: 4,10,000
last lot sold for 2,15,000.
i believe it came down to 1.5 lakhs. it flopped as the rotax bombardier engine it used was no great shakes, it was like a peugeot 309 or a fiat uno launch, dump 15-20yr old technology in india. rotax engines are hot favourites with golf carts, or used to be, i don't know how they fare today. incidentally, the jawa 650cc uses the exact same engine and is still available. anyone interested?
Old 2nd January 2011, 03:47   #59
Senior - BHPian

A green S1000RR is on its way. It will most probably go to Pune as well.
Old 2nd January 2011, 10:55   #60
Senior - BHPian

^montyguru: for the time it was pitched to me as:
Look Sir, the bike that has an engine almost same as M800 but still has more power

The bike sold well initially but all of a sudden the sales dropped as there were a few fatal accidents, also hero honda wasn't well prepared with staff to take care of the bike. A friends splendor was serviced on the same bay as were the Fundro, or should I say the other way around

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks