Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2011, 11:33   #16
BANNED

re: Ducati Monster 796 Vs Yamaha FZ1 EDIT - Bought A Red Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
Ducati it has to be. So, go for it dude. FZ1 is just a faster version of FZ16. Ducati Monster is a phenomenon, nothing else compares.
I am a big fan of Ducatis, but honestly "just a fast FZ16" is quite an exaggeration. FZ1 is mighty fun, handles the twisties like a champ, with the reliability of a jap.
Shayne,
With a tank bag, and a couple tail packs, you will be all set for touring. I had a 50+ yr old friend ride from Canada to Southern California on a FZ1, very little fatigue, excellent riding position. All you need is a wind shield that gives a little more wind protection.
Both are fine bikes, Ducatis need major servicing like valve clearance checks at 8K miles as opposed to 32K miles for Japs. Duc is a poor mans ferrari, rides and sounds heavenly. Touch choice there my friend. Good luck.

High time these guys got some demo bikes and allow for test rides to genuine buyers.
Old 3rd February 2011, 11:56   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
I am a big fan of Ducatis, but honestly "just a fast FZ16" is quite an exaggeration. FZ1 is mighty fun, handles the twisties like a champ, with the reliability of a jap.
Agreed. I was trying to say that FZ1 has a poor cousin in FZ16, whereas Ducati Monster is Ducati Monster - be it 696,796, 1100 or the evo. It's a phenomenon, and not a mere model number.

However, I wholeheartedly agree that FZ1 is by no means just a faster FZ16. And most certainly the similarities between these two ends right after the two letters.

Quote:
High time these guys got some demo bikes and allow for test rides to genuine buyers.
+1 Million to that.
The way the super bike scene is hotting up in India, it may not be far when we'll get proper test rides, ready stock, many high quality fuel stations and all kinds of conveniences needed for buying and owning a super bike in India.
Old 3rd February 2011, 14:27   #18
BHPian

Do not forget to visit this website to check your ergos.
Motorcycle Ergonomics
sen2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2011, 23:35   #19
BHPian

I am a HUGE yamaha fan, right from the day my Yamaha RX100 did a wheelie in the second gear, more than 20 years ago! But i do believe that at this stage in life, where i cannot spend much time on a bike (due to reasons mentioned above ), i need to get my motorcycling 'fix' in short concentrated doses. That i will get from the Ducati for sure. I know this since i did get a test ride (without asking actually!) at the ducati showroom, and it was... amazing! The Yamaha is faster, more comfortable, less hassle (though 16,000km valve adjustment on the ducati is like once a year, hardly a huge bother) but not 'the one'. Its too perfect for that. The 796 has a slight window to personalise it mechanically (for example by fitting a 40 tooth rear sprocket instead of a 38, to lower the gearing, so that you dont have to ride the clutch while starting off). Am sure will find other things as well... whereas the Yamaha is fine as is.
Will post pics of the bike once i get my grubby paws on it!
Old 3rd February 2011, 23:44   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Do not forget to visit this website to check your ergos.
Motorcycle Ergonomics
This is an amazingly helpful link, thank!
Old 4th February 2011, 08:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne View Post
The 796 has a slight window to personalise it mechanically (for example by fitting a 40 tooth rear sprocket instead of a 38, to lower the gearing, so that you dont have to ride the clutch while starting off). Am sure will find other things as well... whereas the Yamaha is fine as is.
Will post pics of the bike once i get my grubby paws on it!
Nice!
But do check up with some ducati forums regarding the sprocket mods. It's still not very clear if changing gearing is allowed in ABS models. If you're selecting a non ABS model then it's cool though.
General opinion is that is 14 T front or a 42 T rear will definitely improve the city riding and reduce the snatch. (BTW - did your test ride bike snatch in low speed street riding?).

Eagerly waiting for your detailed riding impressions.
Old 4th February 2011, 09:53   #22
BHPian

To begin with, I must say I wouldn't have too much in terms of value to contribute to this thread.
But not too long ago, I heard a dear friend describe the Ducati Monster experience as one where the bike wants you to accelerate. To twist the throttle. To push forward. I still remember his tone when he said it.
And knees to asphalt action at speeds as low as 40-50 kmph was never easier.

When she wants it from you, you know it is she who owns you.
Enough said.
Cheers and ride safe dude.
Old 4th February 2011, 21:02   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Nice!
But do check up with some ducati forums regarding the sprocket mods. It's still not very clear if changing gearing is allowed in ABS models. If you're selecting a non ABS model then it's cool though.
General opinion is that is 14 T front or a 42 T rear will definitely improve the city riding and reduce the snatch. (BTW - did your test ride bike snatch in low speed street riding?).

Eagerly waiting for your detailed riding impressions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
To begin with, I must say I wouldn't have too much in terms of value to contribute to this thread.
But not too long ago, I heard a dear friend describe the Ducati Monster experience as one where the bike wants you to accelerate. To twist the throttle. To push forward. I still remember his tone when he said it.
And knees to asphalt action at speeds as low as 40-50 kmph was never easier.

When she wants it from you, you know it is she who owns you.
Enough said.
Cheers and ride safe dude.
Getting the non-ABS. Have not had a chance to ride it much, but i can tell you it cannot be ridden slowly It begs to be ridden hard. The handlebars shake while accelerating from low rpm's but I was doing 120kmph before i knew it. I owned a Kawasaki ER6n until 3 months ago, and it didnt accelerate this quickly or easily
Old 4th February 2011, 21:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

while we are on this subject, are there other non ducati bikes with similar styling (I think I remember buells). easy to maneuver, dirt track worthy, and still street stylish?

Yes, I might be looking for another bike soon
Old 4th February 2011, 23:11   #25
BHPian

Take a look at the MV Agusta Brutale 990R
Old 4th February 2011, 23:43   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
while we are on this subject, are there other non ducati bikes with similar styling (I think I remember buells). easy to maneuver, dirt track worthy, and still street stylish?
Yes, I might be looking for another bike soon
Seriously - Buell of all bikes?? They are history, out of business - good riddance
Ditrt and street means one thing- supermoto. Look at the KTM 690 SMC, the thing is so much fun, its nuts. If my high command approves another bike, it will be a supermoto bike for sure. My heart is set on the KTM. http://www.ktm.com/690-SMC.100198.20.html

There are 2 guys in our gang who ride a KTM, they turn on a dime, and pop wheelies at will. The bike has fun written all over it. Best wishes, for smiles on a supermoto bike.

BTW, just rode into work. How is that snow storm treating you? Sorry, had to rub it in.

Last edited by prasadee : 4th February 2011 at 23:50.
Old 5th February 2011, 00:12   #27
Senior - BHPian

I am not a biker. Infact i dont even know how to ride a bike properly. But one thing i understand is passion. If you have always wanted to own a ducati, even though you know it has maintainence issues. I say GO for it. Follow your heart. No matter what you wont regret it. Good luck with purchasing your red ducati.
Old 5th February 2011, 18:00   #28
BHPian

Booked a red Ducati Monster 796
Delivery probably before 15th of March, but if i am lucky much before that. Fingers crossed
Old 5th February 2011, 18:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations!

It always helps knowing your bike better, start of by reading as once you get it you will have no time to spare
Old 5th February 2011, 20:00   #30
BHPian

Hi Shayne;

As an owner myself of a 999 for the past four years and change, congrats, you made a great choice. The unreliability of Ducatis' has been greatly over-exaggerated. I haven't had one issue with my bike in four years. You've to make sure that you use the recommended oil only (mobile 1 synthetic here in the US) at the recommended oil/filter change interval, change the belts exactly at the recommended intervals and valve clearance and other major service at the recommended mileage. To get the best performance, play with the front and back tire pressures to suit your riding style.

The low end torque of Ducati is addicting (and usable) as compared to the insanely high rpm engines of the Japs. This is especially true of the riding conditions in India. I haven't seen a road in India where you can ride an inline four above 12000 rpm safely. There simply is no comparison between the true feeling of a mechanical steed of the Ducati with the sewing machine like feel of a Jap.

My personal experience is that people who constantly denigrate Ducatis have never owned one, get all their info from some online forum or are young turks who think riding all day at 130 mph in a straight line (here in the US) is real sport biking and yet cannot handle a 55mph curve without crapping in their pants.

You've made a special choice and will fall in love with your duc. You will never have the same feeling for the sterile YamaSuKawaHondas again.

Congrats and Safe Riding.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks