Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2011, 11:34   #76
BHPian

re: Ducati Monster 796 Vs Yamaha FZ1 EDIT - Bought A Red Monster

niks_devil666 - congratulations on your new bike! The debate was never whether the FZ1 or the 796 is cheaper or more practical to own. The FZ1 wins there hands down, no argument.
But practicality or saving money was not what i was looking for...

neil.jericho - The picture with the black tank is with the tank covers removed. The covers are in 2 parts (left and right) and are made of plastic (i think). You can buy different colours of these panels and front mud guard/rear seat cowl and change the colour of your bike. Ducati calls this 'logomania'. Great idea, so maybe next year will change to another colour Take a look at the Ducati site.
Old 14th April 2011, 11:38   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne View Post
You can buy different colours of these panels and front mud guard/rear seat cowl and change the colour of your bike. Ducati calls this 'logomania'. Great idea, so maybe next year will change to another colour
This is a nice touch. It would be nice to slap in some carbon fiber panels if they have any.

But, wouldn't one face any issues due to color mismatch between the bike and the details endorsed on the registration card?
Old 14th April 2011, 11:44   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Aditya just posted what I was thinking. I believe we need to keep going down to the RTO each time we change the 'colour' of the bike. Imagine the headache if someone has a set of panels and like to switch between them ever so often

Shayne, just checked, they have some pretty sweet combinations as part of the Logomania schemes. I personally love the Nicky Hayden replica covers.
Old 15th April 2011, 17:21   #79
BHPian

The 1000km service coming up, at which i plan to make some additions:
- change the high beam bulb to a PIAA Xtreme White Plus bulb. Apparently gives 110W like output whilst consuming the same 55W.

- Puig frame sliders. Red, to match the rest of the bike.

- Fit my old Garmin Zumo GPS holder to the handlebar.

- Fit the Tourmaster Cortech Sport Tailbag.

At which point i plan to take off into Himachal for 4 days at the end of the month
Attached Thumbnails
Ducati Monster 796 Vs Yamaha FZ1 EDIT - Bought A Red Monster-piaa.jpg  

Ducati Monster 796 Vs Yamaha FZ1 EDIT - Bought A Red Monster-puig.jpg  

Ducati Monster 796 Vs Yamaha FZ1 EDIT - Bought A Red Monster-0382417.jpg  

Last edited by shayne : 15th April 2011 at 17:37.
Old 15th April 2011, 19:11   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne View Post
You will see that each part on the Ducati is beautifully made, a piece of art. Not that the FZ1 is not nice.. the 796 is just more beautiful.
If only they could get rid of the "pipes" in the frame. Is it really that popular? I have thought of ducati and have been turned off by those.
Old 16th April 2011, 12:07   #81
BHPian

Some pictures from todays ride. Second tank of 97 Octane today, and let me tell you will never use regular unleaded again. Feels like a different bike. For those that are interested, is giving me over 20 kmpl, with the 'fuel warning' light coming on at 250km. Thats would give another 40kms easy on reserve..
Attached Thumbnails
Ducati Monster 796 Vs Yamaha FZ1 EDIT - Bought A Red Monster-img_0271.jpg  

Ducati Monster 796 Vs Yamaha FZ1 EDIT - Bought A Red Monster-img_0273.jpg  

Ducati Monster 796 Vs Yamaha FZ1 EDIT - Bought A Red Monster-img_0274.jpg  

Ducati Monster 796 Vs Yamaha FZ1 EDIT - Bought A Red Monster-img_0275.jpg  

Ducati Monster 796 Vs Yamaha FZ1 EDIT - Bought A Red Monster-img_0276.jpg  

Ducati Monster 796 Vs Yamaha FZ1 EDIT - Bought A Red Monster-img_0277.jpg  

Old 10th May 2011, 22:51   #82
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on getting the Ducati Shayne, The red monster looks hot
Old 11th May 2011, 04:05   #83
BHPian

Re: Ducati Monster 796 Vs Yamaha FZ1 EDIT - Bought A Red Monster

@Shayne: Congratulations on the Monster. Ducati has to be bought in Red and no other colour. A question for you: I ride for leisure occasionally and get accustomed to the bike before i floor it. Have been riding a lot of bikes recently but i still have not yet riden any superbike till now and am seriously considering the 848 evo. Would you suggest me to go for it being an inexperienced superbike rider ? I prefer the 848 evo instead of the Monster. Thank you in advance for your view.
Old 11th May 2011, 17:31   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M
@Shayne: Congratulations on the Monster. Ducati has to be bought in Red and no other colour. A question for you: I ride for leisure occasionally and get accustomed to the bike before i floor it. Have been riding a lot of bikes recently but i still have not yet riden any superbike till now and am seriously considering the 848 evo. Would you suggest me to go for it being an inexperienced superbike rider ? I prefer the 848 evo instead of the Monster. Thank you in advance for your view.
It depends on what you want to do with your bike. Take a look at the pic to see where I went to celebrate the first service of the Monster! This is certainly not the kind of place anyone would ride a bike like this to. There were no roads here, and this was 450 kms from Gurgaon... But I had a blast! You most probably don't want to do this on an 848, so if it is just to ride in the city or on the highways then why not buy one? Even if it is your fist big bike? Treat it with c.auction and respect to begin with, and you should be fine.
Another thought: always buy what you want. Never let anyone else dictate this, OR let the kind of bike it is supposed to be, dictate it.. For example there is an Englishman (had to be ) who has ridden around the world on a Yamaha R1 ! So buy what you like and do with it as much as your ability permits. Above all remember: no matter which one of these bikes you get, you WILL have a blast!
Attached Images

shayne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 03:21   #85
BHPian

@ Shayne: Thanks for the honest opinion and dont worry i'd maintain and respect the bike very well. Couple of pointers: 1. Since im not a regular rider should i first brush up my skills using a donor small indian bike (i dont own any bikes) and then go for it ? 2. the horsepower has me on the toes since ive not used a major bike before. just some nervous jitters though i know once i get on it and ride a bit itll all settle in. Thanks for the help.
Old 12th May 2011, 18:34   #86
BHPian

I don't think any small bike can prepare you for a Superbike BUT it cant hurt either! Anyway, ride any bike so that you know the road and traffic conditions in the area you will ride the Superbike. It will help for sure.
Old 12th May 2011, 22:48   #87
Senior - BHPian

Shayne Very good that you're riding the bike the way it should be.Perfect.I'm now looking on the same lines.A bike to be used properly!

Can you share the details of the showroom in NCR? Also has there been a showroom closure in NCR? I mean how is the service and backup of ducati in general now?

OT:i see a R1200 GSA in the pics.Any details about that bike.is it bought and registered in india.What was the price and how does it work on the regular fuel with the 12:1 compression ratio?
Old 13th May 2011, 14:36   #88
Senior - BHPian

^ Ducati website does not mention NCR showroom. I was astonished as well. Shayne bought the bike not long ago and can clear the doubt.

Thanks!
Old 14th May 2011, 08:35   #89
BHPian

servicing cost comparison -
its at par with others. A friend who owns a black 796 in mumbai paid 7k for first service.
Shayne : how many servicings have u done so far?
niks_devil666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2011, 09:24   #90
Senior - BHPian

Nik the problem now it seems is that there is no showroom in delhi.And me being in Dehradun is a further impediment.I have been in talks with Ducati about one particular bike.But it seems that many factors are pushing it away from me.Service being one of them and fueling being another.

What i cannot understand is that your bike with 11.5 compression ratio is working fine with regular petrol where as ducati is stuck up with 95 and 95 only for the same compression ratio.I even got a call from Ducati Italy confirming the same.

Edit: Even Shayne is confirming that his bike with an even lower ratio of 11:1 is behaving differently with 97 octane. Nik does your bike behave differently as well with higher octane.

I have been using regular 91 fuel with an engine with compression ratio of 12:1 without any issues.Just that i make sure that i fill in from a reputed pump which has least adultration.
Maybe its to do with the ignition timing.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 14th May 2011 at 09:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks