Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2012, 19:03   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Nitin,

As per my knowledge, the Bolero HU in the Elegance has a SD card reader, in which you can put in an SD card from which it can read songs - so with a 16 GB card, you should be able to keep around 4000 songs on it. Also, there is an MDI (Mobile Device Interface) unit available (as an accessory) with which you can connect it to an Ipod and it gives full control over the Ipod and playlists.
This thread on Briskoda gives an idea of the MDI unit fitment and costing (in UK).
MDI Retrofit - BRISKODA.net - The Skoda Forum and Community

You may need to check with the dealership on whether they can fit this for you if you are able to get it. Pramod has good experience in retrofitment and he has been able to get Bluetooth module retrofitted to his Elegance (I am not sure about MDI though).
Some more details in the attachment (From Skoda UK Accessories webpage)
Attachment 940314
and on the link: Å*koda Accessories

Regards,
Behemoth
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
The SD Card slot takes care of the lack of USB port and I have not felt it's need at all with the 16GB card that it supports.

I doubt whether they have any face-lift in the making as there is no news of the same in international circuits. But they could increase come features like the BT module etc. in the MY2013 cars..

The Indian dealers are not aware of any accessories for the Yeti. Infact I do recall seeing a bluetooth module and a cruise control unit for the Yeti on their website which no longer exists. SD card can only have a maximum capacity of 2GB. SDHC support is required for greater capacity support. In any case, SD Slot wont support an ipod connectivity, while USB supports both.
Old 13th June 2012, 20:16   #227
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose

I guess they must have thought of cost cutting to keep the costs at a certain level. Above all, they would be having the Radio Bolero stock in plenty. Giving USB would mean a new HU, which means a production of new lot, drastically increasing the cost.

I'm already sold for the Yeti; what worries me is whether or not a new facelifted version is due or Skoda India is planning to discontinue the Yeti for India. Both are reasons to worry about!
I am sure that there is only some rumoured facelift and nothing will happen until 2013 at least. Remember this is only a 2 years and few months old car worldwide and hence is at the apex of its product life cycle. Again, there is absolutely nothing to suggest that Skoda is discontinuing the Yeti in India.
I wonder where you got that info!
Why should they, when the market is just about hotting up for them here?
The one thing that may happen towards the end of the year or Diwali is the possible introduction of an Elegance AT with DSG box. That has been on the cards because it will really help in city driving.
Old 13th June 2012, 20:40   #228
Senior - BHPian

Hi Shankar,

There are several sites showing the same; here is a google search: https://www.google.co.in/#hl=en&scli...9&pf=p&pdl=300
Old 13th June 2012, 21:47   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
SD card can only have a maximum capacity of 2GB. SDHC support is required for greater capacity support. In any case, SD Slot wont support an ipod connectivity, while USB supports both.
Yeti SD slot can support High capacity cards as well. I am using a 32GB SDHC in my Yeti. In fact this is only media i am regularly using.
Old 13th June 2012, 22:23   #230
BANNED

Frankly Nitin I am not bothered about face lifts. They happen all the time. And it does not seem at all likely that the Yeti will get discountinued here because the consumer in India is evolving rapidly indeed into a highly discerning, knowledgeable and demanding one.
To me the current version looks very nice and I know it can be had at a good discount too.
My main contention is that the prices are only going to rise, with inflation galloping along and the proposed diesel levies etc etc etc.
If I were you, I would buy now, while the going is good.
And believe me, coming straight from the rather crude Fortuner, you will enjoy the plushness, compactness, ease and finesse that the Yeti offers.
See my comments of yesterday on this and the other Yeti thread and if you honestly answer yes to 80% of my points made there, then there is no other car at the moment that will suit you better than a Yeti. I have given the same suggestions to the other two blokes who also appear to be Yeti hunting as we speak.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 13th June 2012 at 22:25.
Old 13th June 2012, 22:25   #231
BHPian

Just saw the 1st episode of Top Gear season 16 . They have an excellent review of the capabilities of the Skoda Yeti. Not sure if the same build quality would be there in the Indian version. But if it is - its simply awesome. Watch the episode to believe it. Its faster than an Ferrari 308 , better ride quality than a Land Rover and can take a small helicopter on it roof
Old 13th June 2012, 22:31   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I called Skoda to check on whether there's going to be a facelift for the Yeti or discontinuing; however they're not aware. I also tried mailing them but did not even receive an acknowledgement! I'm confused.
I dont think Any company will disclose "premature" information like this. they wont give it in writing as this information can be used to sue in court. If a facelift is planned, It will definetly be announced through newspapers, internet and advertisements etc.
Old 13th June 2012, 23:07   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I dont think Any company will disclose "premature" information like this. they wont give it in writing as this information can be used to sue in court. If a facelift is planned, It will definetly be announced through newspapers, internet and advertisements etc.
I'm skeptical because of the unusual discounts offered by the dealers and the fact Skoda hasnt been manufacturing any Yeti since 2012! Either a facelift is due and they're eagerly trying to dispose the stock or Yeti is being discontinued in India due to low sales and demand
Old 13th June 2012, 23:48   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm skeptical because of the unusual discounts offered by the dealers and the fact Skoda hasnt been manufacturing any Yeti since 2012! Either a facelift is due and they're eagerly trying to dispose the stock or Yeti is being discontinued in India due to low sales and demand
Yes Nitin - I agree with you. Skoda's strategy has failed in the so called "SUV" segment. India wants Macho SUVs with road presence mainly. Only second comes other things. Yeti has not so good (as predicted by Skoda) sales figures.

Yeti has not much road presence and thats the reason its not selling. The Current Yeti looks good, is loaded with gizmos and performs well on and off the road. A Facelift will not do much good as the current version is pretty loaded and i really dont see the need for a facelift. Skoda would have stopped manufacturing and looking at a strategy to revamp sales figures.

I personally suggest to wait for a couple of months before buying, if a need for an SUV is not immediate. I am expecting Ford ecosport to change the game at 11 lac rupees. Ford has played one success strategy with Figo and another failure strategy with the new fiesta. They have learnt a lesson about the market and hopefully wont repeat the mistake with Ecosport.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 13th June 2012 at 23:55.
Old 14th June 2012, 00:06   #235
Senior - BHPian

So that leaves me with the fortuner or Nissan x-trail. I'd love the BMW x1 were it not for my expensive car audio gear which can't be installed in the BMW due to their warranty conditions. So that leaves me back to square one.
Old 14th June 2012, 00:06   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Skoda hasnt been manufacturing any Yeti since 2012!
Nitin, Did the dealer confirmed this information? When i got my car Delivered in May i was told I can get 2012 manufactured version if i am ready to wait for a month. I choose to go with 2011 as the deal was good and i couldn't wait further!
Old 14th June 2012, 00:10   #237
Senior - BHPian

I have decided to wait for a month or two, till the Duster get launched and also to gauge if there is any new variant or facelift of Yeti possibly may be coming along. (though I must admit, yeti ticks almost all my requirements, however, am very skeptical and having second thought of taking the plunge because of 'SKODA' name tag. what can I say, am very spoilt by the reliability of my civic has offered me in the last 3 years.. no single niggle at all, not a single part change nor any break down. so having a hard time to let go off the Japanese reliability i.e., Fortuner for European comfort and quality i.e., Yeti )

Last edited by iTNerd : 14th June 2012 at 00:16.
Old 14th June 2012, 09:48   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Skoda's strategy has failed in the so called "SUV" segment. India wants Macho SUVs with road presence mainly.
Quite true. Yeti is 'refined' SUV. If only brute looks are required then Fortuner is a better bet. I had a requirement of extra space and seats, that is why I chose the Fortuner and not for brute looks.

Yeti sells in markets which have 'matured' beyond to look past just the brutish and snobbish values. Sadly India is not such a market. I myself feel that the Yeti is not 'big' enough for India. However, if 4 seats is one's requirement then it is hard to fault the Yeti.
Old 14th June 2012, 12:03   #239
Senior - BHPian

Nitin,

Aren't you putting the cart before the horse e.g. shortlisting vehicles based on whether your existing ICE would fit?

If you are looking for a crossover with high speed capabilities, what more do you need than a X1 (leaving budget aside)? Which other SUV would touch 200 kmph (it is a different matter that I don't understand the reason behind going for an SUV - instead of a sedan - based on how fast it can go)?
Old 14th June 2012, 12:06   #240
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose

With respect, both your surmises above are very general statements. Yes there are certainly discounts but these arent unusual at all. As you might have seen, the discounts are offered by many car dealers and even mnufacturers from time to time and even advertised in the papers. Most of these discounts by the way, are dealer driven and paid for from the dealers margins and not always Company initiated. Skoda imports the Yeti kits from europe and assembles them here in India. When one goes to buy, the dealer or retailer will typically follow the FIFO policy and offer a decent discount to sweeten the deal for the consumer.
It is a clever car. However as others have said, perhaps this market isnt yet mature enough to appreciate it. Like the Fusion, the Forester and several others, all of whom came in before the market was even ready.
However, now, the market is maturing well and when thngs like the Duster, EcoSport and other such vehicles are launched, I think that there could be a number of consumers who may migrate to the Yeti base variant on account of a far superior fit, finish, safety and quality aspect. Now is certainly not the time for Skoda to pull the Yeti out, in this sense.
On another note I do believe you will like the X Trail despite its love it or hate it looks. However, that is quite large for the crowded city and a bit expensive here in comparison with what it costs abroad. it is certainly a very good idea to wait and see the Duster before deciding. But there is always the fact that even the top spec duster is not going be anywhere near as plush as the Yeti, because they belong to two different segments and design philosophies.
In answer to another point on this thread, the build quality of the Skoda Yeti in India is exactly the same as the ones sold abroad. The only difference is that abroad one is allowed to spec the Yeti up as per the huge options list available there, but one has to pay for each thing. So a top spec Elegance SE can cost upto 45000 AUD or something like 27000 GBP. Even there, as per the info from all my pals, one typically never pays the MRP. One always negotiates and pulls of a good ish discount when buying a brand new car. The similar spec Elegance sold abroad and in India have parity in pricing too as I have illustrated elsewhere on one of the Yeti threads. Hence it is not a bad deal at all!
Ultimately it is your decision how you wish to play it. But the fact remains that the Yeti is a very decent option for our cities and is available easily off the shelf at nice discounts.
If I were in the market to buy a vehicle now, I would be worried about this Diesel Tax and hence would act quickly rather than wait. The tax can be applied in one fell swoop if the government so desires. Given their unpredictability, can one take a chance? I dont know but I have chosen to err on the side of caution by buying the Yeti last Dec itself.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks