Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2011, 11:54   #76
BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

I am not going to take side , Yeti too grows on you and it's a very nice "car" rather than SUV, it does almost every thing that you can throw at it, it even does the "off road" part, but its your choice, both vehicles are over priced, I picked Yeti, after spending lot of time with a 4x4 Scorpio, some pick T-Fort just for the "over size" and Toyota brand, while I picked Yeti for "right size" , performance, utility and features.
-Pramod

Last edited by pramods : 24th June 2011 at 11:56.
Old 24th June 2011, 12:08   #77
BHPian

Barring the gigantic exterior proportions and the relatively plain looking interiors, the Fortuner was always the vehicle of choice. The Yeti on the other hand looks compact with richer interiors and added features but the Skoda branding and A-S-S could be a bit unreliable if you are dealing with one of those typical Skoda dealers.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 24th June 2011 at 12:09.
Old 24th June 2011, 20:54   #78
Senior - BHPian

The Yeti is a nice vehicle in terms of features, especially the interiors. However the engine and transmission may not last as long as that of the Fortuner, as the similar power is derived from a 2L engine using much higher rpm and revving. The wear and tear the Yeti would suffer in 5 years would be what the Fortuner suffers in about 10 years.

I had taken the Yeti TD for about 35kms, from Marthahalli to electronics city, back to BTM layout and to Meenakshi temple side. The feedback regarding service is just 'okay' and owners mention its not as good as Toyota but just okay.

The Fortuner does have simple interiors but is more ergonomic. You do not have to take your eyes off the road to look at the MID or climate control as you would have to in the Yeti. The music system is basic as most owners of such vehicles would prefer to upgrade. The audio system in the Yeti cannot be upgraded, according to the Skoda dealer without loosing features.

The headlamp switch, mirror adjustment in the Yeti also requires getting used to.

Finally, the fortuner would have a much higher resale value than yeti, anyday.

Infact today I came across two used Fortuners, the first one is a DEC 2009 model and run 12K Kms and the offer is at 21L, while the second Fortuner is a Mar 2010 model, covered 8K Kms, offer is 23L.

Oh Yes, I forgot to mention the a/c of the Yeti is a performed poorly during the TD, the same effect is confirmed by Sushil (bhpian who has a Skoda Yeti).

regards,

Nitin

Last edited by nitinbose : 24th June 2011 at 21:06.
Old 24th June 2011, 22:02   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Infact today I came across two used Fortuners, the first one is a DEC 2009 model and run 12K Kms and the offer is at 21L, while the second Fortuner is a Mar 2010 model, covered 8K Kms, offer is 23L.
That's surprising, that the fortuner is able to hold its value. A drop of 10% only over a year in a expensive luxury car is a rarity.
Old 24th June 2011, 22:20   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
That's surprising, that the fortuner is able to hold its value. A drop of 10% only over a year in a expensive luxury car is a rarity.
This is what the current owners are expecting right? Or, are there buyers who are ready to pay that much?
Old 25th June 2011, 07:34   #81
Senior - BHPian

@Guna: This what the buyers expect and buyers happily ready to pay. Infact the second fortuner for 23L got sold at 22.25L! just today morning. Toyota vehicles have a very good resale value.
Old 25th June 2011, 11:59   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@Guna: This what the buyers expect and buyers happily ready to pay. Infact the second fortuner for 23L got sold at 22.25L! just today morning. Toyota vehicles have a very good resale value.
That’s very true. Heard yesterday that my neighbor in India sold his one year old Fortuner, for a price almost close to the original purchase price. Especially for those who plan to update their cars every 2-3 years, a Toyota really makes sense.
Old 25th June 2011, 22:38   #83
BHPian

Congrats on your decision and I wish the very best of times with your Fortune ...

My 2 bits that I had to chime in:

One needs to be sure about what is it that they are looking to solve. If you want a large SUV with 7 seats then Yeti should not even be considered.

If on the other hand, you want a 5 seater soft-roader then you have to choose between Yeti, CRV, GV, Xtrail and X1. At 70+ a litre, buying a pertrol soft-roader is a luxury considering their FEs are usually 6-7 kmpl. That leaves only Yeti, X1 and the Xtrail that run on diesel. Yeti is a whopping 10L cheaper than the Nissan and the BMW, and thus easily muscles them out.

In addition to winning the above mentioned battle, Yeti throws in an excellent interior trim, least body-roll of any SUVs in the market, a spunk engine and best set of features vis-a-vis the competition.

If you wander off and consider a mid-size sedan at the same price point, be prepared that these sedans are usually long wheel-based which basically means that their ground clearances are simply too low for roads like Bangalore's.

I think a lot of people are thinking on these lines judging by the mushrooming number of Yetis that I see in Bangalore these days. Having owned it for 5K km, I am loving every minute of it !

And when I read people comparing the Yeti to WagonR, I feel disgusted at the lack of their automobile wisdom !! I am sorry I simply had to state that !

Last edited by GloryManUnited : 25th June 2011 at 22:53.
GloryManUnited is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2011, 08:50   #84
Senior - BHPian

@Glorymanunited: I hope I have not offended you in any way, my advance apologies.

The Skoda Yeti is definitely a very good SUV, especially considering its features and the price, however, its just the thought of Skoda and the horror stories that are sending a shock down the spine of many people.

May be you could share your experiences to change the perception. Another part which most buyers consider is the resale value; what if they had to sell the vehicle due to some unavoidable circumstances during the EMI period? They have to get a value to cover the balance amount at least.

Those are the main worries.

Infact, I'm still researching for positives on the Yeti. If I were to purchase the Yeti, I would remain richer by about 5lacs! due to the cost differences.

Nitin

Last edited by nitinbose : 26th June 2011 at 08:53.
Old 26th June 2011, 10:50   #85
Team-BHP Support

Nitin - Taking the Laura as an example, it seems to hold its value very well going by the prices I've seen on 1,2 and even 3 year old Lauras.
Old 26th June 2011, 14:06   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryManUnited View Post
And when I read people comparing the Yeti to WagonR, I feel disgusted at the lack of their automobile wisdom !! I am sorry I simply had to state that !
No need to get personal mate, but it was in terms of size that my remark was targetted at. I dont really know what wisdom you are talking about at this point of time, but when we meet again 5 years down the line we will talk about the ownership wisdom, mine of the fortuner and yours of the yeti... please avoid personal remarks...

@all - Test drove the Skoda Superb and the Yeti again yesterday. The newly opened dealership at Meerut is of a close friend (C&T Motors). The Superb (petrol) was in fact SUPERB, but Yeti disappointed once again. Also test drove the X-trail (he is incidentally also opening the Nissan dealership - GS Motors). The interiors of the X-trail disappointed big time.

Last edited by Samurai : 26th June 2011 at 14:56. Reason: typo
Old 26th June 2011, 17:05   #87
j76
BHPian

The T-fort, although it comes out trumps in the size and resale value category (size isn't always everything and we should be talking about the buy and not the sell for now); it cannot compare with the yeti in the handling and comfort departments, let alone how technically advanced it is. I would think of the yeti as a more practical and cheaper alternative as a city vehicle.

And please I do not say this as one man utd fan supporting another .

Cheers to #19 and the Czech delight !!
Old 26th June 2011, 22:37   #88
Senior - BHPian

@j76: Nobody has any second thoughts on the advantages and abilities of the Yeti, its just the thought of Skoda, its horrible (or the incidents mentioned in the forums) that scare us, when it comes to the support.
Old 27th June 2011, 00:25   #89
Senior - BHPian

I have a silver Yeti parked next to my car in my apartment parking lot.
It sure looks good and different and has road presence. Can't be compared with the Presence of a Fortuner, but comparing it with a WagonR is utterly ridiculous.
It looks bigger than my Jazz for sure.

Yeti does make sense to me as a versatile car - Easily manageable within city , excellent engine and dynamics for high speed cruising and also decent off-road capabilities.

A.S.S is one thing where Skoda sucks and this is something one has judge based on the dealership experience etc. Even with the car's strengths, I would hesitate before putting my money on a Skoda.
Old 27th June 2011, 01:13   #90
BHPian

Just to make the Toyota guys uncomfortable :-) look at the recent thread by Rahul on the problem with Fortuner and the way dealer and Toyota are handling this for last 4 month. In India once the sale happens everybody is own it's own! Yes Skoda is more bad on service but others are also no good, I rate Mahindra and Tata to be better than this luxury car manufacturers , at least they get work done if you know people in higher ups. I believe the decision has to be completely based on personal requirement, and how many ticks the candidate vehicle makes based on the criteria chosen!
-Pramod
pramods is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks