Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2013, 00:13   #46
BHPian

Re: Suggest a Car in dubai

I would think that Kia Optima looks better and may have more gizmos than the other cars you listed, but is it really more fun to drive than, let us say, Ford Focus?

Also, does Ford Fusion fit in your budget? It should be similarly priced to that of Accord and Camry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
I will use the format suggested by mod to raise a query in this section
  • Cars short listed : I am in love with Kia Optima but it is bit out of my budget , so considering used Nissan Altima , Ford Focus , Honda Civic , Accord
  • responsive engine, rear seat comfort) : Looking for something fun to drive
Old 22nd January 2013, 08:00   #47
BHPian

Re: Suggest a Car in dubai

If you really want to check out the cars, I suggest you invest a little money in renting different cars from a car rental agency, one day each. This way you can really get the feel of the cars and compare them.
benu9714 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 18:03   #48
BHPian

Renault Safrane in Saudi Arabia - Is this a good pick?

One of friend is looking to buy a Sedan in Saudi Arabia. Long story short, he needs expert opinions and if possible, user reviews of Renault Safrane to help him decide.

He did not like the usual suspects - Honda Accord, Toyota Camry/Corolla, etc. Rather, after numerious visits to Ford, Toyota, Nissan and Honda showrooms, he really liked what Safrane offered.

Version:
2013 Renault Safrane 2.5L V6, 6 speed Automatic, 180 BHP, Max Torque 237 @ 4400 rpm
http://www.renault-me.com/cars/newSafrane/overview.html

He will driving this car everyday to office (about 20kms round trip) and using it in weekends with family (wife + 1 kid) for long trips.

Comfort is of paramount importance, he is also a car enthusiast so a good handling car is a definite plus.

Experts, over to you. Please help him make the right choice.

Buying a Car in the Middle East-safrane1.jpg

Buying a Car in the Middle East-safrane2.jpg

Buying a Car in the Middle East-safrane3.jpg
Old 22nd February 2013, 19:06   #49
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Safrane in Saudi Arabia - Is this a good pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mTorque View Post
One of friend is looking to buy a Sedan in Saudi Arabia. Long story short, he needs expert opinions and if possible, user reviews of Renault Safrane to help him decide.
If he is an enthusiast, then the only thing I would like him to guard against is that this car has a CVT transmission and not a traditional automatic. The minuses of a CVT are well documented (rubber band effect).
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 21:47   #50
BHPian

Re: Skoda presence in Middle East

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
Hi MempheS,

Maybe i am a bit too late, but i would recommend the Australian (Holden derived) Chev Lumina. Its a RWD, an extremely powerful car and a terrific drive ! You will not have a problem with servicing & spares too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Not at all. The brother failed his first DL test and is now getting ready for another. I'm guessing he floored the pedal during the test.
I don't know whether your brother has got a new car but if not ,I would also recommend Chevy Lumina and there is a ss or s variant in that with bigger alloys, spoiler and full black interiors with 40 to 50 BHP more power compared to regular LTZ. My father owns a 2007 model in Saudi just raw power floor the pedal you can really feel that power. Only downside that it has a dated auto box but, rest its pretty much a simple american car(easy to maintain) with loads of space and comfort.

Last edited by GullwingGT : 22nd February 2013 at 21:49.
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:43   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullwingGT View Post

I don't know whether your brother has got a new car but if not ,I would also recommend Chevy Lumina and there is a ss or s variant in that with bigger alloys, spoiler and full black interiors with 40 to 50 BHP more power compared to regular LTZ. My father owns a 2007 model in Saudi just raw power floor the pedal you can really feel that power. Only downside that it has a dated auto box but, rest its pretty much a simple american car(easy to maintain) with loads of space and comfort.
Thanks a lot for the recommendation. I did read a lot about the lumina ss. But the little brat was hell bent on getting a very agile suv and was sold to the outlander GT. A black one. And seems to pretty happy with it.

Thanks again.
Old 23rd February 2013, 14:57   #52
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying a Car in the Middle East

Hi,

If your budget is around 65-70K dhs, then better wait for the all new civic to be launched soon by Al Futtaim Honda. they have just launched the all new accord 2013. go have a test drive.

It fits your needs and requirements.

Please stay away from Kia/Hyundai as they are cheap to buy but expensive to maintain.

Also some one mentioned Nissan Altima (Al Futtaim Motors), sorry friend scarecrow, Nissan and Renault are owned by Arabian Automobiles in Dubai and northern emirates.

Please note that Gulf has a transitional population who keep shifting from country to country and hence want to buy a safe and reliable Japanese car which is easy on the pocket and service and better resale value.

Atleast indians come to gulf to save the tax free money and hence the mindset to go for japanese brands instead of european or american brands.

KIA/Hyundai has done very well to take on the likes of Toyota/Honda/Nissan in last couple of years in the GCC by launching exciting and inexpensive range of vehicles. And are catching on the sales of the Japanese, but the spare and relaibility is still an issue unlike Japs.

Last edited by Parm : 23rd February 2013 at 15:02.
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2013, 17:14   #53
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Just realized your brother is in Saudi. Would've have helped him if it was Dubai.

85% indians tend to own japanese cars here since their income bracket permits that range. A few of us look at it differently.

For some of us who have lived here almost forever would know that the only reason why people by Japanese cars are for resale value.

But then again whats the point of making money and then staring at someone else's car right? Since we only live once, go all out.

Last edited by nitroxx : 23rd February 2013 at 17:20.
Old 23rd February 2013, 20:11   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxx View Post
But then again whats the point of making money and then staring at someone else's car right? Since we only live once, go all out.
Quite correct other than the Lumina SS, another cheap car could be the Camaro z28 (the 6 cylinder old ones). Sometimes i wish i could go back to the Middle East, just to drive that car.
Old 24th February 2013, 20:49   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
If your budget is around 65-70K dhs, then better wait for the all new civic to be launched soon by Al Futtaim Honda. they have just launched the all new accord 2013.

Also some one mentioned Nissan Altima
The Nissan Altima, Honda Accord, and Honda Civic are good value for money. The Honda Accord and Nissan Altima will probably exceed the budget, but it is worth the extra $$$, because as nitroxx says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxx View Post
Since we only live once, go all out.
BTW, there are lots of places to find pre-owned cars as well: Dubizzle, GoldenBellAuctions, and the ad-board at Spinneys.

PS: I'm not sure if you're going to think a Toyota Camry is too taxi-like (about half of all Dubai taxis are Camrys), but those are good cars.
Old 27th February 2013, 15:51   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
The Nissan Altima, Honda Accord, and Honda Civic are good value for money. The Honda Accord and Nissan Altima will probably exceed the budget, but it is worth the extra $$$, because as nitroxx says:

BTW, there are lots of places to find pre-owned cars as well: Dubizzle, GoldenBellAuctions, and the ad-board at Spinneys.

PS: I'm not sure if you're going to think a Toyota Camry is too taxi-like (about half of all Dubai taxis are Camrys), but those are good cars.
How about a pre-owned 5 series or a new 3-series? They ought to fall within the price bracket and will be infinitely more fun to drive. Used M3s too could be had for cheap. Is there any particular reason you are sticking to the Japs? I feel a pre-owned fast European car is the best way to go in that part of the world.
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 16:03   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mTorque View Post

He did not like the usual suspects - Honda Accord, Toyota Camry/Corolla, etc. Rather, after numerious visits to Ford, Toyota, Nissan and Honda showrooms, he really liked what Safrane offered.

2013 Renault Safrane 2.5L V6, 6 speed Automatic, 180 BHP, Max Torque

He will driving this car everyday to office (about 20kms round trip) and using it in weekends with family (wife + 1 kid) for long trips.

Comfort is of paramount importance, he is also a car enthusiast so a good handling car is a definite plus.
How about a pre owned M3 or 5 series? A newish 335i too would fit the ticket. Having driven both the M3 (current and previous generation) and the 335i, I can honestly tell you the 335i is damn good value for money, despite some VANOS issues (dunno if they've been sorted out yet). I am sure you could even find used AMG's (C63 AMG) and Audi RS4s for that price bracket (or a bit more). Infinity G37's too would be available. If he is an out and out driver looking for a fast comfortable, everyday saloon then the Safrane will leave him wanting more. These others wont.

I don't know much about the used car market in Saudi. If it is like the US than the cars that will make most sense in the bracket are the G37 and the 335/535i. If it is cheaper than the others could be considered.
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 21:27   #58
AVT
BHPian

Try the new patrol. Approx 38 lakhs inr for the top of the line LE trim with an off road package is not a bad deal. 5.6 litre 400bhp direct injected gasoline motor is simply outstanding.
Plus you get all luxurious bits of the infinity including the 360º camera, adaptive cruise control , entertainment package, complete leather interior , terrain response system, hydraulic adaptive suspension etc.

Go for a prado because its one of the most reliable machines I have seem, ouds did around 200, 000 kms and there wasn't a single squeak! Do upgrade the tyres because the stock dunlops are prone to blowout.
Old 20th March 2013, 18:38   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
How about a pre owned M3 or 5 series? A newish 335i too would fit the ticket. Having driven both the M3 (current and previous generation) and the 335i, I can honestly tell you the 335i is damn good value for money, despite some VANOS issues (dunno if they've been sorted out yet). I am sure you could even find used AMG's (C63 AMG) and Audi RS4s for that price bracket (or a bit more). Infinity G37's too would be available. If he is an out and out driver looking for a fast comfortable, everyday saloon then the Safrane will leave him wanting more. These others wont.

I don't know much about the used car market in Saudi. If it is like the US than the cars that will make most sense in the bracket are the G37 and the 335/535i. If it is cheaper than the others could be considered.
Thank you for the suggestions!
It looks like the used car market in Saudi is not like the one in US. Most of the used cars (sold by arabs) are usually abused, so generally people try to buy it from another immigrant or they buy new.

My friend has bought a 2013 Chevy Cruze Automatic. Although he liked the Renault Safrane, he had few problems in getting it through the Company lease, so he bought a Cruze.
Old 1st April 2013, 18:14   #60
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVT View Post
Try the new patrol. Approx 38 lakhs inr for the top of the line LE trim with an off road package is not a bad deal. 5.6 litre 400bhp direct injected gasoline motor is simply outstanding.
Plus you get all luxurious bits of the infinity including the 360º camera, adaptive cruise control , entertainment package, complete leather interior , terrain response system, hydraulic adaptive suspension etc.

Go for a prado because its one of the most reliable machines I have seem, ouds did around 200, 000 kms and there wasn't a single squeak! Do upgrade the tyres because the stock dunlops are prone to blowout.
AVT has a point if you are looking at 4x4's if its not your choice of drive then the SUV markets are full of Fx 50s infinity and so on.
nitroxx is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks