Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2014, 16:38   #76
BHPian

Re: Used Suzuki Grand Vitara or New Tata Safari Storme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Some hunters are getting desperate too. Couple months back somebody way-laid me in the apartment building lift to inquire whether I am willing to sell my GV.
Suddenly even the dealers are getting queries about the used Vitara, even the car dealers are surprised. During the Goa trip I was stopped at liquor check point just bcos the police man was curious which car I am driving

After that I paid a fine for the liquor I was carrying back to Mumbai
Old 22nd September 2014, 07:15   #77
BHPian

Regarding Captiva catching fire, I think post 2012 would not have that issue? Wouldn't the change of power steering cooler get rid of the fire threat?

Maybe this 2012 Captiva is assembled in India and not in Korea, so I believe fit and finish will be under par compared to those assembled in Korea.

Somebody again mentioned a fresh 26000 k run Actyon SUV 2010, diesel, with 4WD low as well. It is around 12 lacs INR less than what I would be paying for new STORME or Used 2.4 GV.

Watching this video has tempted test drive it.
Old 23rd September 2014, 12:10   #78
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Would vote for new storm for the type of usage and service network that you mention. Or for used grand vitara upto 50k kms. As though spare access may take time the reliability will be higher and planned maintenance will help.
Old 30th September 2014, 21:08   #79
BHPian

Dear friends,

I finally bought ssyangyong Kyron 5 speed automatic. I will write more about it later.
Old 1st October 2014, 07:11   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking forward to your ownership thread. Can you list the decision points in final purchase ?
Old 1st October 2014, 23:25   #81
BHPian

@Sudev,

I will write ownership thread when I am free. Well the decision points to buy this Kyron was something heart over mind.

1. The 2.4 GV price did not come down as the owner did negotiate.
2. Safari Storme- I dont know why, I was never confident on this. I felt after so using Japanese vehicles for so long, I did want to buy something better than Storme.
3. I kept on looking at Santa Fe, RAV4, Captiva and Actyon and used Rexton.
4. Santa Fe, RAV4, and Captiva were dismissed as they did not have low ratio. Actyon was ruled out because the appearance was Shark like.
5. I was about to finalize Rexton because it had everything I wanted, a highway cruiser, had 7 seats, had pretty good ground clearance. It had smooth 5-cylinder engine. However, I came to know that clutch plate had been changed, all 5 injectors had been replaced, and that in 7000 km. I thought previous owner (one of the Baba ji) had abused it badly. So I was in two minds regarding.
6. While looking at Rexton at the Ssyangyong yard, one vehicle caught my eyes. I don't know why, I liked it at first sight. The Kyron had been lying there for 6 months and they offered me huge discount on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Used Suzuki Grand Vitara or New Tata Safari Storme-20140930_095536.jpg  

Used Suzuki Grand Vitara or New Tata Safari Storme-20140930_100154.jpg  

Used Suzuki Grand Vitara or New Tata Safari Storme-20140930_095542.jpg  

nepalken is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 23:35   #82
BHPian

Kyron has 2.0 XDI engine with VGT, It produces 101.5 Kw of power at 4000 rpm and 310 nm of torque from 1800-2750 rpm. The engine is derived from Mercedes Benz and so is 5 speed automatic.

This is my first automatic and I really did not like it in the hilly roads. It did not shift up or down as per my liking and seems to have a mind of its own. This could be because, I have driven manual all my life.

Well the first impression I get after driving 300 kms today; petrol is fun especially in the winding and mountainous highways of Nepal. Welcome diesel.
Old 2nd October 2014, 07:31   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Good idea not to buy Rexton. The one I drove in India had ABS that did not inspire confidence plus despite the turbo there seems to be no kick in acceleration. Do not know about Kyron but seems like next gen to Rexton
Old 2nd October 2014, 07:49   #84
BHPian

@sudev,

Actually the compact SUV from ssyangyong is Korando, mid-size is Kyron, and larger is rexton.

I think the ABS and auto gearbox is same, the difference is in engine, 2.0 vs 2.7. However, I found this Kyron to be more nimble than Rexton; however, not as nimble as Vitara.
Old 7th October 2014, 08:15   #85
BHPian

Re: Used Suzuki Grand Vitara or New Tata Safari Storme (edited Bought kyron)

The reason for buying Ssyangyong Kyron;

1. I liked the exterior design, better looks than either GV, Storme or XUV.
2. Korean Built, so I guessed the build quality would be better than Strome or XUV but not upto GV.
3. Low range in 4WD
4. Mercedes-based engine
5. Leather seats
6. Motor assisted front seats
7. Heated seats
9. The back seat was very very comfortable. Usually our driver will drive it.
10. Mercedes-sourced 5G-tronics automatic, which I believe can handle torque upto 800 Nm and should be good enough in severe conditions such as low range operation in extreme offroad.
11. Saw a lot of kyrons in Russia in offroad situations. If it works well in Russia, it should work in Nepal too.

After driving for 1300 kms in a week, went home for festival season. These are few observations.

1. Ride quality is okay. I always compare against Landcruiser.
2. Handling is okay, maybe ladder-frame chasis and heavy weight and having no AWD leads towards more truck-like than car-like.
3. Turbo-lag is evident despite having VGT. This lag is more pronounced than it was in earlier Actyon with same engine and same turbo. I guess the more kgs on the vehicle is the factor, maybe the right technical jargon ia bhp/ton ratio.
4. Braking is good as all wheels are disc brake and has ABS.
6. Mid-range is fantastic and it pulls superbly.
7. Overtaking is pain. I was used to higher revving of petrol engine.
8. This not a fun car to drive but capable offroader and has soothing ride if driven properly. Since it has Autobox the jerks from sudden acceleration and deceleration are non-existent and contributes to smoother ride.
nepalken is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 04:16   #86
BHPian

How much did you pay for it Nepalken? and Congrats on your purchase, may it serve you well once you get used to the automatic gears
Old 14th November 2014, 20:46   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjusahu View Post
@Desmosedici i am at andheri 4 bungalows and you are welcome to take a test drive the GV over weekend.

My Daily ride is a maruti zen and the fastet car i have driven is a civic, so for me vitara is a mix of feeling also it s a bit slow in the first gear, but on the highway its not at all slow u can easily do 140. On the goa highway i have done 160 with 4 elders.

I have driven this suv on the old mumbai goa highway in the nights with an average speed of 60/80. On the Corners this is the best SUV i have driven till now with fantastic handing on the ghats, In the innova on the same route i was not at all confident, but vitara has changed the way i used to handle ghats.

My family loves we done couple of long drives on bad and good roads overall a fantastic vehicle.
Along with what else I have seen written about the GV on this forum that seems to be another statement that supports it and recommends it highly. I was wondering if I could bother you in Pm with a few queries about the F.E. and comfort level whenever it was convenient.

Have been on the lookout for a 2.4 Liter Automatic GV For a while now, and nothing seems to be there on the market.
If anyone happens to find one for sale anywhere, could they please let me know?
THanks
Ang
Old 14th November 2014, 22:53   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghammarad View Post
Along with what else I have seen written about the GV on this forum that seems to be another statement that supports it and recommends it highly. I was wondering if I could bother you in Pm with a few queries about the F.E. and comfort level whenever it was convenient.

Have been on the lookout for a 2.4 Liter Automatic GV For a while now, and nothing seems to be there on the market.
If anyone happens to find one for sale anywhere, could they please let me know?
THanks
Ang
Forget about getting a 2.4. There were a couple of those down south but the asking rate was around 10 - 12 Lakhs Otherwise there are many 2.0 ones which i think should be fine. I think the 2.4 will guzzle even more. Dont you think?
Old 14th November 2014, 23:13   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Forget about getting a 2.4. There were a couple of those down south but the asking rate was around 10 - 12 Lakhs Otherwise there are many 2.0 ones which i think should be fine. I think the 2.4 will guzzle even more. Dont you think?
Perhaps but I think its a superior engine too ? Not sure.
Could you tell me where you found these down south? Perhaps link me in pm ?
Old 14th November 2014, 23:28   #90
Senior - BHPian

I saw it on Carwale I think. You could check it out as I am currently typing from a mobile. But do you think that price is justified. There are lots of 2.0 in Mumbai at around 4 to 5 lakhs. MT and AT.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks