Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2015, 18:37   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Used Suzuki Grand Vitara or New Tata Safari Storme

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustysekhon View Post
I get 8.5 to 9.5 on the 2.4 litre AT in the city. So the 2 litre should give more or at least the same number.

Don't go by third party accounts, a lot of that is miscommunication. People quote 3.6 litre averages and it gets lost in translation. Also, did Ladakh last month, though some wise guys quote 4-5 average (their data point was probably raid de himalaya), I got more than 10 on the seemingly bad sections.
Firstly, driving a car in Bangalore or Delhi means one has to deal with insane levels of traffic so ideal circumstances for high FE rarely occur. One might be able to average a certain figure one day but tank to tank in a major city with loads of traffic, It would be tough to expect more than 6-7kmpl. Secondly, the 2 liter GV is actually less fuel efficient due to the lack of Variable Valve Timing, and the number of times one will find the need to mash the throttle due to less torque and power output.
Old 21st July 2015, 19:19   #122
BHPian

Used Suzuki Grand Vitara or New Tata Safari Storme

The figures I quoted are from NCR so they hold good. Also, I took my 2.4 Liter AT Vitara to Bangalore for 6 months. The mileage numbers remained the same. The one place mileage surprised me was Ladakh where I saw 2-3 kms higher mileage.
Old 21st July 2015, 22:02   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The figures I quoted are from NCR so they hold good. Also, I took my 2.4 Liter AT Vitara to Bangalore for 6 months. The mileage numbers remained the same. The one place mileage surprised me was Ladakh where I saw 2-3 kms higher mileage.
Cooler Air temp would have helped with those improved FE figures in Ladakh.

But yes, i have too read on other forums about the 2.4 giving better FE than the 2.0 ones.
Old 22nd July 2015, 10:15   #124
BHPian

Quote:
I get 8.5 to 9.5 on the 2.4 litre AT in the city. So the 2 litre should give more or at least the same number.

Don't go by third party accounts, a lot of that is miscommunication. People quote 3.6 litre averages and it gets lost in translation. Also, did Ladakh last month, though some wise guys quote 4-5 average (their data point was probably raid de himalaya), I got more than 10 on the seemingly bad sections.
I have now got 3 months of driving experience on my 2L AT. I have come to the conclusion that the 2L engine has poor low end torque. Also the AT box does not match that torque curve properly. So one needs to be atleast above 1600-1700 rpm for any grunt. In Pune that means the vehicle is going too fast for the traffic flow.

The 2.4L will definitely give better fuel economy as the VVT valve system would have improved low end torque. @ mustysekhon - can you confirm the rpm at which the AT upshifts in city traffic.

I have noticed that cold air, as in very early mornings, makes the engine pull better and the AT box upshifts early.
So possibly need to try a K&N filter to improve breathing. Has anyone tried one out?
Old 22nd July 2015, 12:23   #125
BHPian

I have let this one pass. Infact my mechanics got the deal done to somebody else. The closing price was 4.40.
I will look out for a 2009 onwards 2.4l as it seems the engine is much more powerful and surprisingly it is reported to give better average than the 2.0l.
Thanks for all the advice, I think you guys have put me in the right track to get a good Grand Vitara and become part of this family.
Styler
Old 22nd July 2015, 18:11   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
@ mustysekhon - can you confirm the rpm at which the AT upshifts in city traffic.

1500 RPM from 1st to 2nd in sedate driving. Changes to 2nd at 2500 RPM with decent pickup. However, when you floor it the shift will be at a higher RPM which I could not check due to traffic.

Also, please note that it has a 4 speed gearbox. Secondly, using the POWER feature will increase the RPM band.
mustysekhon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 20:06   #127
BHPian

Hi Sridhar. Thanks for the reply and valuable suggestions. Currently my 2.0 GV AT is at the MASS and the parts are being sourced and replaced. Unfortunately, they are unable to source the most important part which is the serpentine belt. Strangely, the part number that they have on record is not the right fit on my car. Its been 5 days that they have been trying, but in vain. Where else do you or anyone else suggest that i source this belt from? I'm really stuck at this point.
Old 27th July 2015, 08:08   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer.Rulez View Post
Hi Sridhar. Thanks for the reply and valuable suggestions. Currently my 2.0 GV AT is at the MASS and the parts are being sourced and replaced. Unfortunately, they are unable to source the most important part which is the serpentine belt. Strangely, the part number that they have on record is not the right fit on my car. Its been 5 days that they have been trying, but in vain. Where else do you or anyone else suggest that i source this belt from? I'm really stuck at this point.
Firstly I would suggest patience. 5-10 days is easily the norm. MASS people try to get the part, through the order system, from other MASS or central Maruti warehouse whosoever may have in stock. Otherwise it is ordered from Singapore. Either way the system will show an order confirmation, after which you are assured of delivery.

If nothing works you can try and order a similar one from Gates or Continental. You will need to measure the width and total length. Also important is the number of small V-groves on the inside of the belt. I will try and do this on my car today evening after work.
Old 29th July 2015, 09:51   #129
BHPian

@Hummer.Rulez

Could not check the total length as my hand did not easily wrap round the path of the belt. Continental website has thrown up the following on its website:
Attached Thumbnails
Used Suzuki Grand Vitara or New Tata Safari Storme-contitech-serpentine.jpg  

Used Suzuki Grand Vitara or New Tata Safari Storme-contitech-serpentine-2.jpg  

Old 19th November 2015, 12:40   #130
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum discussion but I’ve been following the updates you guys are putting up, these are really good information

I need some suggestions from you as I am planning to purchase second hand Vitara ( only 2.4 litre one) for off road and rallying purpose. I am based out in NCR and have not purchased any second hand vehicle yet but now I am planning to do that. So any inputs from your side will be really of great support, though I have following questions on mind :

1. Which one will be better 2.4 GV Automatic or Manual ?.
2. Does 2.4 GV has 4WD option? and does it come without 4WD option as well.
3. What is the durability of engine mileage.
4. What basic things I should do while accepting the vehicle, sale deed / form 29 etc ?
5. What should be the genuine price for 2.4 litre second hand vehicle, I think 2.4 litre was launched in 2010
Old 19th November 2015, 14:27   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adesh.Singh View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum discussion but I’ve been following the updates you guys are putting up, these are really good information

I need some suggestions from you as I am planning to purchase second hand Vitara ( only 2.4 litre one) for off road and rallying purpose. I am based out in NCR and have not purchased any second hand vehicle yet but now I am planning to do that. So any inputs from your side will be really of great support, though I have following questions on mind :

4. What basic things I should do while accepting the vehicle, sale deed / form 29 etc ?
5. What should be the genuine price for 2.4 litre second hand vehicle, I think 2.4 litre was launched in 2010
These ownership threads should help:

Samurai: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...s-8-years.html

Sudev: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ownership.html

And I know for a fact that Sudev has used his Grand Vitara for off-road purposes.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 08:49   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adesh.Singh View Post
Hi Everyone,

Auto - if you want to give your knee some rest. Otherwise MT will also do.
All GVs in India come with 4wd.

See the following thread for a comparison between 2L AT & MT in offroading :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...shet-lake.html

See the service history & get the vehicle checked at MASS. Budget for 50K worth of repairs to get it into tip top shape.
Spares and labour at MASS are reasonable. It takes 15 days to order & receive spares.

Re durability, read Sudev's thread!!.

2.4L was launched in the last quarter of 2009. Prices should be in the range of 6-8L, depending on the age, condition and type. If you get a good piece do not squabble for the ideal price - it is worth it.

Check on this site for criminal case or stolen complaint :
http://ncrb.gov.in/

Use an agent to get the transfer done. He will guide on paperwork.

Best of luck!!.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 21:09   #133
BHPian

Used Suzuki Grand Vitara or New Tata Safari Storme

2.4 AT wins over the MT long drives, city, hills and off road. Sheer convenience, minimal power loss while shifting and better protection of the engine (auto shift to higher gear as RPM increases). The AT comes with a 4 speed gearbox but it's still a better drive than the MT.

On a recent Ladakh trip it outperformed a Fortuner on all parameters other than fuel cost - including "stretch" drives in bad weather in which the Vitara AT did far better with 1 driver VS Fortuner with 2 drivers. These were conditions with driving in 1-2 gear, 6-8 inches slush on uphill u turns, constant rain wherein the Fortuner had to use 4H-Lock or even 4L-Lock as some others did. The Vitara AT did such sections in 4H (the normal mode).

Fuel efficiency of the AT is approx 0.5 to 1.5 km lower than the AT - I would place it at 1 km less, but since you are going for a Vitara, fuel efficiency should not really be considered, but nice to know before taking the plunge.

The AT will also save you clutch Maintainance costs and doctors fee if you do extensive driving (at least for 1 leg) on a lighter note.

I suggest you meet a few owners in person, compare notes on Maintainance expenses etc, test drive both models from the MS agency and the decide.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks