Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Rs. 25 lakh SUV would you choose?
Ford Endeavour 415 73.58%
Toyota Fortuner 76 13.48%
Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 34 6.03%
Chevrolet Trailblazer 7 1.24%
Hyundai Santa Fe 7 1.24%
SsangYong Rexton 4 0.71%
Mahindra XUV500 21 3.72%
Voters: 564. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2016, 10:06   #31
BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour vs the competition

If the third row was not there, the rear seats would be more adjustable and confortable. In my Santa Fe for long trips, i remove the third row seats. 18.1 kgs each. Hence 36 kgs saved.

Last edited by earthian : 25th February 2016 at 10:08.
Old 25th February 2016, 11:24   #32
BHPian

My choice remains the Pajero Sport. Agreed that the support network isn't quite as sturdy, but I have not seen any owner complain about the vehicle itself, unlike some of the other vehicles mentioned in this list. Heck - in a way, lack of support is a bigger testament - the vehicle still sells. Look at the kind of ad spend the Ford Endeavour is getting - both in TV and print media. The Pajero Sport had maybe one print media ad in the past one year, and the TV ad wasn't even created! Talk about non-aggressive. I don't know who is the bigger culprit - HM for being lethargic, or Mitsu for partnering with them!

Apart from the rant: the Pajero has a solid lineage through the ages. The last Ford Endeavour left a bit to be desired. Hopefully it will be set right this time - time will tell. Am not too convinced a 3.2L engine is the best thing in these eco sensitive times. Of course I welcome the new Endy and all the best to it. But my choice over Pajero Sport? Not really!
anshuman_v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 12:01   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
The fortuner is ubiquitous in East NCR, and the image is not a friendly one at all.....
Yeah that's another thing, although could be restricted to North. One relative went to the extent of telling me: why would I buy a Fortuner, it is used by smugglers !!
Old 26th February 2016, 02:04   #34
BHPian

As things stand it seems like a no contest for the Endeavour. I hope this translates to real sales as well for the Ford. Like many others have pointed out a comparison say 12-18 months down the line would probably be more realistic but given that this Endeavour was also compared to the Range Rover Discovery 4 and managed to hold its own (not sure if it won it though) says a lot about the car. Helping it's cause in no small way is the wonderful list of features and bang on target pricing! It has already let to the Superb being priced sanely IMHO and may just lead to the New Innova Crysta and New Fortuner being priced relatively sanely!

Good days ahead for the SUV buyer over the next 12-18 months.
Old 27th February 2016, 15:57   #35
BHPian

Well it's a kind of foregone conclusion with the new endeavour. They've drastically changed the game I just hope Toyota is listening. Though judging by their stall at the auto expo its highly unlikely since they didn't care to even show the new Fortuner.

Toyota reliability notwithstanding the only reason i'm an owner of a Rexton myself is their lacklustre response when i was in the market to buy a big SUV. A big drastic change in the dealers response from the time their Innovas and Fortuners started selling, they weren't willing to even show me the fortuner let alone make one available for test drive and this was on the day the rexton was launched the vast difference in the dealers response made me book the rexton right there and then and i'v had a relatively hassle free 75000kms in it now with the only worry being the resale.

The Endeavour on the other hand. What an imposing vehicle. Definitely going to top my pick list once iv squeezed my rexton a lot more.
Old 29th February 2016, 14:07   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My choice is the Endeavour! Great styling, powerful 3.2L engine, well-mannered on the road, intermediate level offroad-ability and loaded with features & safety kit. Ford got the product and pricing spot on. It's got an air of desirability around it.

Second choice would be the Santa Fe. Good presence, sweet diesel engine, car-like ride & handling, superb refinement and Hyundai's reliability + ownership experience. In fact, if someone is looking for a purely urban / on-road SUV, I'd recommend the Santa Fe over the Endeavour.

The segment is in for an overhaul and that only makes things better for us! Look forward to the next-gen Fortuner & Pajero Sport.
I completely agree with GTO, my choices will be as follows :-
1) Endeavour
2) Santa Fe
3) Fortuner
4) Rexton
5) XUV 5OO
6) Pajero Sport
Old 2nd March 2016, 00:24   #37
BHPian

My choice is the pajero. A true SUV to the core. It's the one thing that keeps Mitsubishi alive in India. I am not against the Endeavour it's a good choice too. Went in favour of pajero because it's a serious off roader too when needed.

Fortuner's handling and suspension are not to my liking.(Only personal opinion). May not be a good highway sprinter.

Rexton- Based on slightly older platforms and brand image needs to pick up.

Santa Fe- Could be the best in urban areas. Hyundai's service backup is another USP.

XUV-As per my personal opinion it should not have been on the list as M&M markets it at a lower segment. Would have made more sense to compare XUV with Safari storme or even Innova.
Old 7th April 2016, 14:30   #38
BHPian

This is exactly the confusion am in right now.

Though XUV, in my humble opinion, doesn't belong to the same class of trucks as compared here (purely from the price perspective, not going to the monocoque angle) I have quite a few good things to say about this vehicle. Firstly I own a XUV, and yes, I have had my fair share of niggles, upto an engine replacement (most probably the first replacement of the full engine, in XUV history), having said that, am all praises about the vehicle, its a mile cruncher and an extremely effective cruiser. I have taken it from Kolkata to Munabao and back and never ever felt that it was tiring out or I am tiring out on those long hauls. Enough grunt for the highways, that can actually have some skeptics run for their money. And of all in a recent 4x4 event held by Kolkata Tbhp 4x4 lovers, fellow T-Bhpian SanC's new generation W10 AWD Manual, performed everything that its wild brother's are slated to do ( read Thar, Scorpio S-10 4x4) sans the usual finesse, that's there in a true blooded 4x4 and in that present condition ( maybe it got lucky). Point is, it managed, and managed fairly well.

Coming back Ford Endeavour 3.2L AWD Titanium is a very strong contender in my list, strongest I would say. However I am getting mixed opinion. Few of our fellow T-BHP'ians from kolkata, did a test drive of the said vehicle, and they were not very excited, primarily due to the lack of grunt. According to them the auto-box is a tad lethargic, and fails to deliver the punch. I am yet to do the TD of the same, since the dealer is not able to , either get a AWD vehicle, or isn't just bothered ( problem of having a single dealer in town). I would also try the 2.2L and as S2 has suggested in his very comprehensive report, that the engine is more refined and peppier. This grunt factor is only the worry point, along with the "Beige & Brown" interior. Other than this, I think the Ford stands way apart from the present day competitors.

The Fortuner with its Grey alloys and black interiors do look different ( I mean classy), but then again its aged. Capability wise no question! And as of now I don't think Toyota has announced the launch of the new Fortuner. So status quo on the Fortuner, as far as I am concerned

The other exciting truck happens to be the Pajero Sports, extremely competent without any reported issues ( or is it because they sell so less). Haven't driven it, but those who have are completely gaga over it. Then again no announcement on the new model ( though the rear end looks weird) and the A.S.S factor also keeps bothering me.

I have a small request for those who have driven the 3.2L AWD, (at the cost of being repeatative) please comment on the 'grunt' and the 'pull'.

I would be waiting for a few more ownership reports out here and experience of 3.2L AWD, and then decide. I can foresee a shootout between the 3.2L AWD FORD Endeavour and the Pajero Sports in the horizon. Else a weird thought, maybe a W10 AWD and a pre owned Accord V6, for the pure fun. So the word for me is "WAIT AND WATCH".

Last edited by me_sid : 7th April 2016 at 14:33.
Old 7th April 2016, 15:33   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
those who have driven the 3.2L AWD, (at the cost of being repeatative) please comment on the 'grunt' and the 'pull'
well this is not a car and given the weight and shape , it does good job this side of anything that costs at least twice. I drove GLE and LC-200 recently and can confirm you that endeavour competes favourably with these 2 big giants. Had driven an Auto Fortuner as well as I am getting a LC Prado at little discounted rates from a Toyota Dealer and can definitely tell you that this Toyota stand no chance against Endeavour. The way Fortuner behaves on speeds over 100 both chassis and steering itself. Coming to endeavour , I think it does takes a while before this chugs to next higher gear and makes some sound - not that its bad, perhaps they could have programmed it little better, but again nothing that should compel you to leave this vehicle and consider anything else apart from LC 200 - which is a mighty beast . Everything is Brand New in this Car - go ahead with 3,2 , I am sure you won't repent this decision

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th April 2016 at 15:38.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 15:49   #40
BHPian

Just the right thread to post my question.

I currently own the Ecosport and contemplating an upgrade.

Given that after the recently concluded Auto-Expo, rumour mill went into overdrive on the release of Jeep Wrangler in our markets, I became enthusiastic about owning one sometime in the near future. But as is the story with all rumours, this one too is disappearing into obscurity.

Question is, should I go for the new Endy or wait for some more time for the Wrangler?

The only deterrent for me not going for the new Endevour is its sheer size! I live in an already crammped NCR. A vehicle this size will be a nightmare to manage.

There is also an issue with ergonomics as I have not been blessed with tall limbs either (5'7").

Suggestions?

Cheers,
Saurabh
Old 8th April 2016, 18:59   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDesertRat View Post
Just the right thread to post my question.

I currently own the Ecosport and contemplating an upgrade.

Given that after the recently concluded Auto-Expo, rumour mill went into overdrive on the release of Jeep Wrangler in our markets, I became enthusiastic about owning one sometime in the near future. But as is the story with all rumours, this one too is disappearing into obscurity.

Question is, should I go for the new Endy or wait for some more time for the Wrangler?

The only deterrent for me not going for the new Endevour is its sheer size! I live in an already crammped NCR. A vehicle this size will be a nightmare to manage.

There is also an issue with ergonomics as I have not been blessed with tall limbs either (5'7").

Suggestions?

Cheers,
Saurabh
True that the ford is quite large. But JEEP wrangler even if released cannot be compared to the ford because the latter is marketed as a big family wagon capable of off roading while the former is a life style 4*4.

Both models are quite different and beyond comparison.

As far as height is concerned at 5 foot seven you should be able to drive any modern vehicle because most comes with steering and height adjustments.

Despite the big size SUVs like Safari and Endeavour are easy to drive even for short people(you are not short by indian standards)because of the bird's eye view they give.
Old 8th April 2016, 19:07   #42
BHPian

Family 4x4 SUV Comparison - Everest(Endeavour) v MU-X v Pajero Sport v Patrol v Fortuner

johannskaria is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2016, 20:25   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Haddock View Post
True that the ford is quite large. But JEEP wrangler even if released cannot be compared to the ford because the latter is marketed as a big family wagon capable of off roading while the former is a life style 4*4.

Both models are quite different and beyond comparison.

As far as height is concerned at 5 foot seven you should be able to drive any modern vehicle because most comes with steering and height adjustments.

Despite the big size SUVs like Safari and Endeavour are easy to drive even for short people(you are not short by indian standards)because of the bird's eye view they give.
I am not comparing the two vehicles. I have shortlisted the two based upon my choices and application in mind (varying from looks, practicality, mild off-roading and want factor not in any particular order).

Can I live with my current car? Absolutely yes
Do I want another car? I would like to

Thanks for providing clarifications in terms of ergonomics. I will test ride the Endy and assess.

Cheers,
Saurabh
Old 25th April 2016, 14:46   #44

All the above SUVs are not under 25L. I just took test drive for Ford Endeavour, Pajero & Fortuner. They are above 32L on-road in Bangalore. The only SUV under 25 is now XUV500 Automatic. I am also looking for buying a good SUV around 25. Earlier I had TATA ARIA. But every SUV has some fault that don't justify the price they are asking. They are mostly outdated models in India, except Endeavour. There will be new models coming up for Toyota Fortuner and Pajero in a year. We have to wait. The Endeavour looks good from outside, but there is no head room & its cramped inside. The Santa Fe is too expensive around 37L and don't look like SUV.
Old 23rd May 2016, 18:27   #45
Senior - BHPian

After Australia, the South Africa is a major market for these SUVs.

The equivalent Fortuner is cheaper in RSA.

EDIT: The Everest is sold with the 3.2 liter diesel only, while the Fortuner has the 2.7 liter petrol, 2.4 liter and 2.8 liter diesel.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 23rd May 2016 at 18:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks