Honda BRV VX 29 7.40%
Renault Lodgy Stepway 32 8.16%
Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 117 29.85%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2016, 14:35   #76
BHPian

Re: Twist of fate, which 7-seater? Innova Crysta vs BR-V vs Lodgy

Let me rank it based on my choice, rather I would prefer it this way if I were to consider

1. Crysta :- Best among the lot especially with the improved power and features. If you can stretch this would be the ideal choice
2. XUV :- Its popularity is becoming like how the swift was 5 years ago, something which you can buy with eyes closed.
3. Lodgy :- Not a big fan of this one, but I feel this is more worth and vfm than BRV
4. BRV :- Added it as the last choice, since you mentioned in your list. This is just a re-badged mobilio with lot of plastic cladding. I did TD 2 weeks back and did not like it except for the high GC. As you mentioned, its not worth the price.

And congrats for the twins !!
Old 29th May 2016, 18:01   #77
BHPian

Will add to your dilemma with my own perspective of the problem you face. I'm in a similar situation wherein I need

a) an easy ingress/egress vehicle
b) with an extremely comfortable rear seat
c) necessarily an automatic
d) to seat 5 adults in full comfort.

With all due respect to everyone's opinions of the captain seats in the Innova, they just didnt make sense to me. I've travelled quite a lot in them and eventually realised that (a) they are plain inadequate for long journeys. I'm not particularly huge but nonetheless the seats are too small. (b) The arm rest too is woefully inadequate (c) and lets be honest nobody's vying for those last row seats. I'm 5'9" and therefore it's too snug a fit thus meaning that i need to ask my wife or mum to take the last row seat. And come 3 in the last seat? You might as well shoot them before the start of the journey Thus frankly the so called 7 seater Innova is a short journey 6 seater (-1 for the chauffeur)and actually a 3 seater (-1 for the chauffeur) on long journeys. So much for the utility and acres of leg room. The 8 seater is this the far more competent ride.

Now that said I did a long-ish test drive for the BR-V courtesy friendly CSA at the Honda showroom (and the fact that we have a city). The middle row can seat 3 albeit maybe a bit two snugly. The rear seat however is not significantly different from the Innova. Given that I've written off the rear seat of the Innova for long journeys, I'd be ambivalent about being in the rear seat of the Innova or the BR-V for short journeys.

All the above however is based on the Innova and not the Crysta. But i dont expect Toyota to magically change the comfort in the last row given the same size constraints but you never know the Japanese seem to have Hermione's skills. Will know only after a test drive.

Now the conclusion of this longish post. The Innova Crysta AT 8 seater (usable 5) comes only in the GX which is about 19 lakhs on road out here. The BR-V CVT is also available only in the V variant which about 14 on road (usable seats about 4-5).

Critical things missing in the BRV
a) Telescopic steering (I absolutely love this feature, takes driving comfort to the next levelt)
b) Brake assist
c) one less airbag
d) driver armrest (Honda you are NUTS)

Critical things missing in Innova
a) Automatic climate control
b)rear arm rest (Yes, Toyota you too are NUTS)
c) Projector head lamps
d) Other general finesse matters (electrically folding ORVMs, sad ICE, no phone and audio streaming, keyless start etc)

Frankly I've had a decent experience with Honda service and dont really see it as a distinguishing factor. Neither is the fact that one is a diesel and the other is the other petrol given the fairly less miles that we run up.

What does make a difference is the depreciation (too a lesser extent since we typically keep our cars for a 10 years and do just about a 1 lakh kms by then) particularly since I'm worried that the BR-V may bomb on the box office.

All said is 5 lakhs additionally worth it for the innova? No dont think so.

I did give a fair warning in the beginning I definitely wont solve your problem and will very likely add to it.
vineshpikale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2016, 18:34   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineshpikale View Post

The Innova Crysta AT 8 seater (usable 5) comes only in the GX which is about 19 lakhs on road out here. The BR-V CVT is also available only in the V variant which about 14 on road (usable seats about 4-5).

Critical things missing in the BRV
a) Telescopic steering (I absolutely love this feature, takes driving comfort to the next levelt)
b) Brake assist
c) one less airbag
d) driver armrest (Honda you are NUTS)

Frankly I've had a decent experience with Honda service and dont really see it as a distinguishing factor. Neither is the fact that one is a diesel and the other is the other petrol given the fairly less miles that we run up.

What does make a difference is the depreciation (too a lesser extent since we typically keep our cars for a 10 years and do just about a 1 lakh kms by then) particularly since I'm worried that the BR-V may bomb on the box office.

All said is 5 lakhs additionally worth it for the innova? No dont think so.
If you value features, then Innova Crysta GX AT is not suitable for you. You should probably take a look XUV 500 W6 AT - it is priced exactly between BRV CVT petrol and Crysta GX AT - and is loaded with features.

You might be interested in hearing my perspective about BRV CVT, because I'm expecting to take delivery of the car in June (fingers crossed).

1) I'm not sure if missing "brake assist" is a big deal. You can expect good safe braking performance from BRV.

2) Drivers armrest is a Rs. 6,000 paid option.

3) LOL yeah. BRV might flop. But you will not have spare parts issue even in the 10th year of ownership. I expect BRV CVT to have similar depreciation rates as City CVT. You will do well to sell to an individual dealer privately, rather than sell to dealer.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2016, 19:40   #79
BHPian

Did a test drive of Crysta ZX-AT today. Dealer brought the car home and had it for around 30min. Drove on bad, good and narrow roads. Crysta tackled all of them smartly.

What I liked:
- Engine refinement and power. 172 PS is really felt, especially in power mode.
- Far better driving dynamics compared to old gen Innova. Comparable to a well behaved Sedan.
- Driving posture and seats are very comfortable and gives good confidence. Commanding view from driver seat is something I loved.
- Auto transmission is excellent and smooth. You can really feel the torque when you floor the pedal. Adequate power delivery makes driving really effortless. No unnecessary knocking or jerking.
- Suspension is very comfortable, glides over potholes and speed humps, however the body roll is evident as you would expect from a MPV. But it not a deal-breaker.
- Well insulated cabin. Negligible road and engine noise.

What I disliked or not so excited about:
- Looks. Except from front, it reminds you of the same old Innova
- Innova's taxi Image. Wife has a serious problem with this.
- Price tag is not justifiable. ZX-AT should have been
- Interior is good in the front, especially the dash. It is again the same old Innova in the mid-rear portion. Most of the in-dash features on ZX is on a 10L hatch as well.

Overall driving experience exceeded my expectation, but will it buy it!. I can say this only after I test drive XUV500.
sj_koova is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2016, 22:20   #80
BHPian

Among the choices you have mentioned, Toyota Innova Crysta seems to be the best one. The most reliable car serving India market for over a decade now. This new version looks far better than the old ones. With a family of 4 adults and children, no other car may offer you so much of space and peace of mind. But the price is a major concern.
Coming to Honda BRV, I haven't seen the car yet. But the recent offerings from Honda show a significant departure from their previous generation models in terms of quality. They no longer feel upmarket. Cost cutting is quite obvious. It seems, Honda has now given up their 'premium' status and is trying to be more of a mass market player.
Mahindra XUV could be another sensible choice. But reliability is a concern. Lodgy is in yet unknown territory.
Old 30th May 2016, 12:19   #81
BHPian

I voted for CRYSTA from the given options. Having said that, unless you have something specific against TATA cars, I would urge you to wait till HEXA is launched and then take the final decision. I am sure, it would be less expensive than CRYSTA and can be a proper 7 seater.

Apart from this, Lodgy may also be an option, but if you may ask me, I would not suggest XUV/ Honda BRV as in my opinion, it may not meet some of the requirements you have set.
Old 30th May 2016, 13:47   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
... bringing in on road Bangalore price into the equation:

- Innova Crysta starts at Rs. 17.5 lacs and ends at Rs. 26.3 lacs
- XUV 500 starts at Rs. 15 Lacs and ends at Rs. 22.3 Lacs

- Renault Lodgy starts at Rs. 10.6 Lacs and ends at Rs. 16 Lacs
- Honda BR-V starts at Rs. 10 Lacs and ends at Rs. 16.3 Lacs
One way to think about the choices at hand...

Its always good to go for the highest and fully loaded variant. It gives a higher and more satisfied ownership experience.

Go for:
  1. Innova Crysta if budget is not a constraint.
    - There is no doubt about the quality and competency of the Innova to suit your need.
    However:
    - 26L OTR is seriously insane pricing.
    - You'd be lugging around a huge beast of a van most of the time.
    - In addition to investment cost, operational costs would be definitely higher than the BR-V given your high mile munching record.
  2. Honda BR-V for high level of practicality given your specific needs.
    - OTR price for the top end fully loaded variant looks reasonable (compared to the Innova)
    - The size and amount of inside space looks good for (4 Adults +3 kids). There is decent amount of luggage space with all the seats up too. Travelling with infants demands lots of storage space.
    - Operational costs and experience would be hassle-free.

Safety levels and Resale value would be pretty good for both the above choices.

* Lodgy can be considered if you're fine with its looks, however, expect a very low resale value after 5 years.

* XUV 500 would have been a strong contender (in the second place) if not for the lack of luggage space with all the seats up. Luggage space is definitely a critical factor in your case.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 30th May 2016 at 13:59.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 20:03   #83

Hello

Wondering why no one has mentioned the diesel ban (Delhi/Kerala) and anytime that can be declared in other states as well. So, what justification can one have over buying crysta ?
dinkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 22:41   #84
BHPian

Finally test drove the XUV today. It had clicked 37,000 km.

Longish drive was quite likeable with refined powerful motor and chunky steering.

In favor
- Ease of driving
- Powerful engine. Great low end grunt
- Loaded to the brim. In fact there is no point in going for W10 which has only sunroof, reverse cam, power seats & hydraulic struts for the bonnet are the only extras. W8 now comes included with keyless entry too.
- Hill decent, ESP favourable extras

Not so in favor
- Vehicle has developed lot of unusual noises in under 40k kms
- Overall finesse sub par which leaves a lot to be desired
- As soon as I stepped in and pushed the power seat switches, I could feel shudder underneath and the motor was straining:banghead:
- Thrid row & boot space. Proper 5 seater only
- Beige seats picks lot of muck
- Instrument cluster seems too busy

Now I am extremely extremely confused. Its all between XUV and Innova Crysta.:sly:

XUV - Space & reliabilty are traded off for creature comfort (key less entry, auto HVAC, cruise control, touch screen infotainment, tyre pressure monitoring)

Innova Crysta - Creature comfort will be traded off for space & peace of mind. But its no bare bones as such (Alloy wheels, 3 airbags, reverse sonar, trip computer, dual compressor, dual map ecu, traction control)

Let me know which would be great for a family of 4 adults + 3 kids. But it will be fully packed for only 20% in 2500km/month
autofreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 23:16   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autofreak View Post
Let me know which would be great for a family of 4 adults + 3 kids. But it will be fully packed for only 20% in 2500km/month
I will (still) go with the Crysta. Peace of mind, space, reliability - and the features provided.

("Still" because that's what I had suggested at the start of this thread. :-) )
Old 5th June 2016, 19:27   #86
BHPian

Quote:
2) Drivers armrest is a Rs. 6,000 paid option.
Test drove the BRV CVT today. Liked the drive, but cursed Honda for missing out on the driver armrest. I mean seriously, why on earth would they not provide that?

Anyways, asked the dealer whether I can get this fit as an after market accessory, to which he flatly refused. He said its not possible.

Where did you get the option of driver armrest for Rs 6000? And will this be sturdy and have a long life?
Old 5th June 2016, 19:38   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post

Anyways, asked the dealer whether I can get this fit as an after market accessory, to which he flatly refused. He said its not possible. Where did you get the option of driver armrest for Rs 6000? And will this be sturdy and have a long life?
I think you should avoid this particular Honda dealer!

Driver side armrest (with storage box) is an official Honda BR-V accessory. You can check out the brochure here -
https://www.hondacarindia.com/BRV/BR...20broucher.pdf
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2016, 19:47   #88
BHPian

Quote:
I think you should avoid this particular Honda dealer!

Thanks for that. The seat side console looks perfect. Honda could have given this as a standard feature. I mean even smaller cars have this. Anyways, good to know that it is at least available as an accessory. I will give a benefit of doubt to the dealer; maybe that particular salesman wasn't aware of it.
ptushar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 18:12   #89
BHPian

I would wait for Hexa to launch, as it would be much better value for money product and very well built Tata.
Old 10th June 2016, 20:37   #90
BHPian

After using old Innova for almost 10 year and 2.38 lakh km I started looking for its replacement. I checked all vehicles you have listed..

I liked XUV500 and Innova Crysta, and finally booked Innova Crysta GX.

Main reason for not going XUV way is no usable boot space in XUV if all 7 occupants are in it.

Last edited by kunaldhami : 10th June 2016 at 20:37. Reason: typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks