Renault Lodgy Stepway 32 8.16%
Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 117 29.85%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2016, 23:55   #1
BHPian

Twist of fate, which 7-seater? Innova Crysta vs BR-V vs Lodgy

Prelude
My first car was a Santro (2003-2011) and I enjoyed it during my college and first leg of work. Next was my dream, a pre-worshiped Civic (2011-2014). This car really benchmarked my experiences and made it lot more difficult in choosing my next car. I was then smitten by the compact SUV rage after driving the low slung sport sedan for 88,000km. With increased running of 3000km/month, Ecosport (2014-present) fitted my bill with its compact dimensions, good diesel mill with decent mileage and most importantly better build quality among compact SUVs.

Fast forward 2 years, Ecosport clocks 80,000km on ODO and surprise.. surprise.. gynaec declares twins in the second making. Now it’s time for welcoming the double. Although my parents reside at native they are going to be with us for most of the time from now on. So its going to be 4 adults, 1 toddler and 2 infants at any point of time. So the early itch was justified with 80,000km ODO and extended family.

My prime requirements
- I will clock atleast 2500km/month so fatigue free driving is of prime importance
- Since I will be spending major time inside the car, interiors should be solid and upmarket
- I prefer depreciation over FE as I switch every 4-5 yrs
- Safety cannot be stressed more

Choices
Toyota Innova Crysta GX
Honda BRV VX
Renault Lodgy Stepway
Mahindra XUV 500 – Not considered due to its third row and zero boot space with all rows up
Maruti Ertiga - Not a proper 7-seater
Mahindra Xylo/Scorpio - Crude to the core

Toyota Innova Crysta GX
I was completely blown away post test drive. Its surreal improvement over previous generation. They have addressed all the shortcomings of earlier car. Only issue is I am stretched beyond my budget even for the base GX variant. I am sucker for top variant cars as they come with all frills out from the factory and you don’t have to fiddle anything. I took Ecosport Titanium(O) which has 6 airbags, leather seats, keyless entry, good sounding ICE, etc.,

Twist of fate, which 7-seater? Innova Crysta vs BR-V vs Lodgy-innova-crysta-gx.jpg

What I like
+ Solid drivetrain
+Safety uncompromised even on base variant
+Magic ride quality
+ Expected stellar reliability
+Proper 7 seater
+Fuss free service support
+Supposedly less depreciating

What I dislike (Not much)
- Base variant doesn’t make you plonk 18 big ones
- Too big a car for the self driven me
- FE figures compared to BRV & Lodgy

Honda BRV VX
I almost potted the car before test drive. I am ok with the MPVish looks but major grouse is you don’t feel like you are sitting or driving a 15L car. I feel every panel is borrowed from lower segment car or from a previous generation car. Just cant digest it. Alloys are a miss to me. Only reason for preferring VX trim is for the CIVIC steering wheel as lower trim steering wheel is disgusting.

Twist of fate, which 7-seater? Innova Crysta vs BR-V vs Lodgy-hondabrv02.jpg

What I like
+ Excellent package as a 7 seater
+Drivability & ride quality
+5 star safety rating
+FE figures

What I dislike
- Very very light build & feel
- Feel of segment lower
- Car like seating position
- Messy alloy wheels
- Decade old steering wheel with missing features

Renault Lodgy Stepway
I am yet to take a test drive. But going by the reviews it ticks all boxes except for styling and it will be either updated or discontinued soon.

Twist of fate, which 7-seater? Innova Crysta vs BR-V vs Lodgy-renaultlodgy34.jpg

What I like
+ Reliable and durable powertrain
+ Decent 7 seater
+ Good ride quality
+Adequate feature list
+Fat discounts

What I dislike
- Cargo van looks
- Depreciation disaster
- Either update or discontinuation imminent
- Patchy after sales
- I need to repeat to everyone on why I brought this home

Fellow bhpians please fish me out
autofreak is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 00:35   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Twist of fate, which 7-seater? Innova Crysta vs BR-V vs Lodgy

Crysta all the way !

BR-V is close to being a compromise. XUV is old now. Lodgy .. now where do I fit it ?
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 00:45   #3
BHPian

Have voted for BRV over Crysta. One of the major reasons for that was that you plant to switch cars after 4-5 years and BR-V would cut your absolute losses significantly on depreciation. BRV has quite a few flaws, but nothing that's a deal breaker and comes across as supremely practical.

If the plan was to keep the car for 7-8 years, I would have said go for the Crysta, and it would reap you the benefits over the years of ownership.

BTW, if you are open to used cars, a well maintained second hand Toyota Fortuner could be had for less than BRV and would be excellent on all accounts. Won't feel cheap, easy to maintain, spacious, very comfortable and a hoot to drive. Well maintained Fortuners can be had for 12 lakhs. Additionally, you won't take a massive depreciation hit either.

Last edited by autorahul : 26th May 2016 at 00:51.
autorahul is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 01:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Innova if you can afford it. I understand your point about not being able to buy the top-end variant. The base variant of such an expensive car isn't particularly barebones in any way so some money spent on ICE should be more than enough to spruce things up. Not sure what you mean to say by it is too big to be self-driven. The Innova is a big car for sure but I find it to be one of the most easiest cars to drive out there. Extremely good visibility and very easy to place the car exactly where you want it to be even in congested traffic or tight spots. The Innova is a workhorse and if you do decide to go for it, it would be a shame if you kept it only for 4 years. Even if you replace your other drives, this is one of those cars that you just keep for its sheer durability and immense practicality.

I agree with you about the BR-V feeling very low-rent so wouldn't suggest that.

XUV may not have the best 3rd row but it is fairly decent to drive and should definitely be considered.

Renault Lodgy is a good car from what I hear, if you can get over the looks, then go for it

Last edited by IshaanIan : 26th May 2016 at 01:16.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 02:12   #5
Team-BHP Support

Looks like your heart and brain are heavily tilting towards the Toyota Innova Crysta. Both Lodgy and BR-V seem to be in the list only because you need a shortlist!

If you are not in a tearing hurry to buy a 7 seater, perhaps you can wait for the launch of Tata Hexa and see if it works out for you.
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 02:15   #6
Team-BHP Support

Is it physically possible to fix three child seats and carry four adults in the BRV? I doubt it. It is mostly a 2+2+2 seater in terms of width.

I don't have personal experience with Lodgy, but pretty sure Crysta is the best bet of the three in this scenario.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th May 2016 at 02:16.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 08:00   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Firstly congrats on the due to arrive twins . Exciting times ahead. On the choice of car, I would rule out the xuv due to lack of luggage space. With 2 infants more often than not, you will have luggage even for short trips. The BRV seems to be a good all-rounder, but considering its build and lack of features I don't think it will leave you feeling fresh at the end of long drives. It also seems to be more a 6 seater from reports here. Most importantly the 5 star rating is for the Thai spec. This comes with things like stability control among other things which we do not get here. So there is no guarantee that the India Spec will score well. It may, but it is not certain.

The crysta seems to be the best bet. On the downside as you have mentioned, considering your high running, you will definitely miss the creature comforts the higher variants provide.

The lodgy seems to be worth definitely looking at. I don't think they will stop it. Also considering that they are number 4 in India courtesy the Kwid they will want to consolidate and build on that.

All the choices involve some level of compromise. How about also looking at the preowned segment. One of the SUV's from the next segment?
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 08:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Crysta is the best choice you can make, although the lower variant is compromised on features. If resale matters, the Crysta will fetch you a good amount at the end of 5 years.

It has acres of space, nice engines and is the car that can meet most of your requirements.

What I'm scared of: Large diesels (>2000 cc) being banned completely.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 26th May 2016 at 08:28.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 09:49   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Well maintained Fortuners can be had for 12 lakhs. Additionally, you won't take a massive depreciation hit either.
I was actually hunting for a Fortuner but that too commands great resale. With my budget I get only 2011,12 with 1.5L clicks. Moreover ride and brakes are not there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The Innova is a big car for sure but I find it to be one of the most easiest cars to drive out there. Extremely good visibility and very easy to place the car exactly where you want it to be even in congested traffic or tight spots. The Innova is a workhorse and if you do decide to go for it, it would be a shame if you kept it only for 4 years. Even if you replace your other drives, this is one of those cars that you just keep for its sheer durability and immense practicality.
Yup. Thats right. My uncle drove older one for full 3L km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Looks like your heart and brain are heavily tilting towards the Toyota Innova Crysta. Both Lodgy and BR-V seem to be in the list only because you need a shortlist!

If you are not in a tearing hurry to buy a 7 seater, perhaps you can wait for the launch of Tata Hexa and see if it works out for you.
You nailed it man. I am prefixed on crysta but need to get perspectives. I suppose its a huge risk in betting over 15L on a NEW TATA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Is it physically possible to fix three child seats and carry four adults in the BRV? I doubt it. It is mostly a 2+2+2 seater in terms of width.

I don't have personal experience with Lodgy, but pretty sure Crysta is the best bet of the three in this scenario.
Thats one more brownie point to Crysta. Booster seat and child seats are going to occupy adult space for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Firstly congrats on the due to arrive twins . Exciting times ahead. Most importantly the 5 star rating is for the Thai spec. This comes with things like stability control among other things which we do not get here. So there is no guarantee that the India Spec will score well. It may, but it is not certain.
Thanks mate. Will it really fall short on safety. I dont think structurally any difference is there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
What I'm scared of: Large diesels (>2000 cc) being banned completely.
Equally scared. But I am sure it will not happen in TN for sure.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th May 2016 at 14:40. Reason: Removing excess white space
Old 26th May 2016, 09:59   #10
BHPian

I have voted for the Crysta. It fills your requirement excellently -
BUT you should keep it for a little longer than 4-5 years IMHO.

Is there any news on the Crysta Petrol Automatic in the future?

Going by the current Crysta pricing , the base GX Petrol Auto (if launched, should be 17L OTR Delhi) would annihilate the BR-V value proposition (14L OTR Delhi)

Last edited by BUXX : 26th May 2016 at 10:01.
BUXX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 10:11   #11
BHPian

Am a big Lodgy fan myself but I'd still suggest you go for the BR-V.
Agree with you that spending 15L on it doesn't feel right specially after i read the review here. Am surprised at why has Honda gone the Maruti way with the interiors. However considering your requirements the BR-V could be a perfect family mover. The four adults will obviously take up the front two rows and you still have enough space ofr the kids in the third row. Plus the added 250L boot space would help out a lot since additional members means more the luggage. Spending 18 big ones on the base Innova is a complete no brainer in my opinion.
Skyline_GT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 10:24   #12
BHPian

With 4 adults, 1 kid and 2 infants on board, you will sure have a good deal of luggage.
With the kid and 2 infants occupying the rear seats, you will need at least one adult (if not two) in both rear seats, so you will need a good deal of space in the third row too. So, you will need a comfortable 3rd row, as well as some good boot space. A 5+2 seater will not work for your need.
IMHO, space is your primary need and features available in top variants usually (such as alloy wheels, projector head lamps, Touch screen infotainment, Auto headlamps etc) are just your want. If you have less budget concerns, it is better to go for the top variant Innova Crysta.
If you really have some budget constraints, then you can get the Innova Crysta GX, and you can add some specific accessories after market from the dealer, to make you happy.
Along with your car, you will also get the peace of mind of Toyota Service.
BR-V is still a 5+2 seater (as it is more or less the Mobilio with better interiors). Lodgy may be a good option (space / feature wise), but it is a non mover, and the company is sitting on a huge inventory pile up. You would never know when the company decides to withdraw this model due to its poor sales.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 11:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

I would pick the Lowest priced one since all we are looking at is some 7 seater MUV.
The looks don't matter, performance don't matter.
Features may matter - but it is fickle way to analyze: do I prefer 8 speaker system vs do I prefer Android based HUD?
alpha1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 11:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

My first thought is that, why is Ertiga missing from this list.
It is the most VFM 7 seater in my books.

If i were to prioritize in rank order, then this would be it:
1. Innova crysta
2. XUV
3. Ertiga
4. Lodgy

BR-V does not qualify as 7 seater in my books. It is a 4+2 at best.

Last edited by abhishek46 : 26th May 2016 at 11:32. Reason: added comment
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 11:33   #15
BHPian

If you can wait a couple of months more (do not exactly know how many), the Hexa would be in the market and that definitely is a solid vehicle compared to the Lodgy and the BRV. Since Crysta prices are out, we can safely expect Tata to price the Hexa reasonably. My suggestion would be to call up the nearest Tata dealership and check out the launch dates, else simply close your eyes and go for the XUV than these three mentioned above.
SAE40 in veins is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks