Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which SUV / MUV would you choose?
Tata Hexa 526 53.08%
Mahindra XUV500 187 18.87%
Toyota Innova Crysta 217 21.90%
Mahindra Scorpio 8 0.81%
Tata Safari Storme 29 2.93%
Other (please specify) 24 2.42%
Voters: 991. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2020, 22:52   #256
Team-BHP Support

Re: The "I Booked my Car" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Frankly, there is no 7-seater in the sub-15 lakh range. I have to think of the future now. And I don't want to tow my parents in ambulances or used private taxis to hospitals 300 kms all 4 ways (Raipur, Visakhapatnam, Hyderabad or Bhubaneshwar) when the emergencies arise.

Yes, I did.

My earlier XUV500 had a gear-shifting issue which the dealership couldn't resolve, though they did their best every time I brought it in and worked patiently with it. I had to sell it off in 7 months due to that one problem.
All your points are valid and I agree but when I came to these 2 points above I will say you are making a mistake.

If your earlier XUV5OO had a gearbox and clutch issue, I can assure you new one will be no different. This has been an Achilles heel for the XUV and they have not drastically improved it.

Your second point of long trips with family for medical. The XUV is proven but for long trips with ailing parents, the XUV500 is not the final word when it comes to reliability.

My suggestion would be to seriously look at the Innova Crysta GX 7/8 seater 2.4L manual. It is 3L more just under 20L in CG state. There's nothing more comfortable, reliable and premium as an Innova. Secondly it is bullet proof reliability and there is a huge advantage in resale.

You usually don't keep cars for long so the 3L over the XUV you will recover easily when you sell an Innova vs the resale of an outgoing model Mahindra XUV500.
Vid6639 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 17:51   #257
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa vs XUV500 vs Innova Crysta vs others

This is bang on...
Having lived with a XUV for 7 years and now driving a Crysta AT, I can definitely vouch for not only the reliability difference of the two cars but immense difference in the ride quality too. To drive senior citizens over long distances regularly, Crysta is the car to go for...
If you have reset your priorities, this is the way to go..
RickyC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 19:35   #258
Senior - BHPian

XUV500 vs Harrier battle feels like Safari vs Scorpio battle all over again. So many people back then opted for Scorpio only because it had a usable front facing third row. If new gen XUV500 is going to get pushed to next segment, then it makes sense for M&M to retain old gen in its line up.

With Hexa gone, XUV is the only remaining 7 seater in thay segment. I paid 16.6 for my Hexa XMA. Today even at 20 lakhs, there is no seven seater automatic van in sight.
padmrajravi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 19:32   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
All your points are valid and I agree but when I came to these 2 points above I will say you are making a mistake.

If your earlier XUV5OO had a gearbox and clutch issue, I can assure you new one will be no different. This has been an Achilles heel for the XUV and they have not drastically improved it.

Your second point of long trips with family for medical. The XUV is proven but for long trips with ailing parents, the XUV500 is not the final word when it comes to reliability.

My suggestion would be to seriously look at the Innova Crysta GX 7/8 seater 2.4L manual. It is 3L more just under 20L in CG state. There's nothing more comfortable, reliable and premium as an Innova. Secondly it is bullet proof reliability and there is a huge advantage in resale.

You usually don't keep cars for long so the 3L over the XUV you will recover easily when you sell an Innova vs the resale of an outgoing model Mahindra XUV500.
I totally agree with your suggestion regarding the Crysta, Viddy.

The big problem here is - there is no local Toyota dealership here, and the nearest one is 300 kms away, which is now a containment zone.

The full-fledged dealerships here belong to Maruti, Hyundai, Mahindra & Tata.
Smaller dealerships with small service centers are of Honda & Ford.
A sub-dealership which takes bookings and provides cars, driven 300 kms by road all the way from their main dealership, is of Renault.

Dealerships absent here - Kia, Toyota, Volkswagen, Skoda, MG, Fiat/Jeep and Nissan/Datsun.

As you can see, my choices are basically limited to the big 4 of our Indian Auto sector.

Also, I have already stretched my budgets to the max by going till 16 lakhs OTR. The Crysta GX base variant is ~18.60 lakhs OTR which is quite some distance away and out of my reach. Local servicing is also a big issue, specially now that the main dealership's location is under containment.

I had initially thought of the Creta S MT diesel @ 12.77 lakhs ex-showroom (around 14.8 lakhs OTR) because wife is a big fan of Hyundai, but it being a 5-seater, my previous brake failure & near-fatal accident, and the new generation looks which didn't click with me, made me strike it off.

Then I discussed with wife and family and wife was all for stretching for the Creta SX MT diesel @ 14.51 lakhs, ex-showroom. I reasoned that if we are stretching that much and have no real use of the panoramic sunroof and other blingy stuff inside & outside, why not get the XUV500 W7 at 14.48 lakhs?

Yes, it may be a generation old come 2021 but still in terms of budget, it's a full size bigger + 7 seats + bigger engine + better build quality + one segment above than the Creta. Hence it was finalised.

And, I reasoned that every car goes through a generation change some time or the other. The Creta will be updated in 2-3 years' time, same with the Seltos or the Crysta, and then the resale values will anyway take a hit. The XUV is a big hit with the masses around this area (mostly rural), and since this time I am planning to keep the car for a long time (if it doesn't come plagued with issues), resale won't matter in at least 7-8 years' time.

Diesels might have a shelf life of 10 years anyway, once the CAFE norms come into effect from 2022.

Let me know if I am right in my thought process.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 10th June 2020 at 19:39. Reason: added + typo.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 20:13   #260
Senior - BHPian

My thoughts

Driving 300 kms up and down once in 5000 or 10,000 KMS for regular service is far far better than driving 10 to 20 KMS every weekend to solve niggling issues and repairs

So by now, you would have guessed what option I would have voted.

Yes it is Toyota. Once you experience Toyota, you will never be convinced to go with any other brands.

All the best for your new purchase
gkveda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 23:07   #261
Senior - BHPian

Voted for NOTA

If I were to personally ever buy a people mover in the future, it would be the Kia Carnival.
Reasons for choosing the Carnival:-
1. Space and the Carnival has loads of it, especially in the 7 or 8 Seater Versions.
2. Features, this is where the Carnival shines - it's got quite a bit more than any of the aforementioned
competiton including dual sunroofs .
3. Safety, 6 airbags and four-wheel discs with esp also make it a better buy than the rest.
Old 10th June 2020, 23:17   #262
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And, I reasoned that every car goes through a generation change some time or the other. The Creta will be updated in 2-3 years' time, same with the Seltos or the Crysta, and then the resale values will anyway take a hit. The XUV is a big hit with the masses around this area (mostly rural), and since this time I am planning to keep the car for a long time (if it doesn't come plagued with issues), resale won't matter in at least 7-8 years' time.

All valid points and your thought process does make sense. Especially if you don't have a dealership.

However few points which are opposite view:

1. The Innova came out in 2016, the XUV500 is there since 2010. Toyota's last innova was replaced after 11 years. So there is 7 more years to go before the current Innova will get replaced. Maybe 1-2 facelifts at max in between. Also even when the older Innova got discontinued it never lost out on resale. If anything the resale value of the outgoing car went up as commercial people preferred that. There were cars with 3L kms going for silly prices. Mahindra will not even come close to this resale and reliability in another galaxy.

2. Yes the biggest problem is no dealership. But on the flip side it's a Toyota. Other than an annual visit, no Toyota visits a service centre twice in the year. And the place maybe in containment zone now but won't be forever.

3. Given COVID situation, manufacturers will look at new markets and may start a dealership or service facility in next 2-3 years. I doubt Toyota doesn't expand its dealership annually.

Do consider the above points. However if the budget is tight and the 3L is not possible right now then yes the XUV500 is the only choice. Perhaps look at loan if possible. Prices will only go up for Toyota's, so if you don't buy one now, you may have to shell out a lot more in the future. A toyota pays for itself after warranty and when u go to sell but you need to pay for that when you buy. This is the 3L extra you are paying for.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 13:37   #263
BHPian

While we all agree about the pros of buying a Toyota even if they rip you apart for it, if you still would like to stick to Mahindra (because of proximity of the service centre or the price factor), I suggest you to wait for a few months and check out the new Scorpio,
It promises a better ride and handling (being on a new, fresh platform) and updated features which may be closer to the tastes of urban commuter than the one being offered in the current models.
But going for a XUV at the tail end of its life cycle be rather avoided.
RickyC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 14:12   #264
BHPian

I was in the market for a 7 seater in the beginning of this year. I evaluated XUV 500 /Innova Crysta /Scorpio/Hexa/Ertiga/Marrazo. Family comfort/safety was the top priority. Budget was around 20 L on road. I am MT lover so that was non-negotiable requirement.

XUV500/Scorpio were rejected due to poor ride quality. Innova Crysta manual was rejected due to average refinement, cumbersome clutch, and 4.7 length. Hexa was rejected due to its size width and large turning radius plus poor dealer response. Ertiga was rejected due poor NVH and flimsy build quality.

Among this group Marrazo has the best NVH, ride quality is a close second to Hexa especially the 16 inch variants. Has the correct size 4.5 M length and 5.2 m turning radius. Is smooth and refined. Passenger comfort is top notch. Roof mounted AC works well. Has 4 disc brakes and 4 start NCAP rating and a robust build. Reliability reports have been good till now. Mahindra is offering 1 lakh km 5 year warranty as standard.
JediKnight is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 16:33   #265
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
All valid points and your thought process does make sense. Especially if you don't have a dealership.

2. Yes the biggest problem is no dealership. But on the flip side it's a Toyota. Other than an annual visit, no Toyota visits a service centre twice in the year. And the place maybe in containment zone now but won't be forever.
Absolutely, a friend who has an Etios did not have a dealership in his town and the nearest service center was 100+ KMS. But then Toyota does set up service camps a few times a year and the non major service (which comes every 5k KMS) can be done here.Maybe, strike a conversation with a cabbie driving a Toyota on the service bit to find out more about the Toyota presence? I'm sure wherever ravenavi is located, there'd be at least a few innovas and Etios plying as cabs and had to use Toyota ASS at least during the warranty period?
ike is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 17:15   #266
BHPian

Quote:
I totally agree with your suggestion regarding the Crysta, Viddy.

The big problem here is - there is no local Toyota dealership here, and the nearest one is 300 kms away, which is now a containment zone.

The full-fledged dealerships here belong to Maruti, Hyundai, Mahindra & Tata.
Smaller dealerships with small service centers are of Honda & Ford.
A sub-dealership which takes bookings and provides cars, driven 300 kms by road all the way from their main dealership, is of Renault.
I understand that you have had issues with the local TATA dealership but isn't there any other TATA dealer or service center nearby? Even if it is lay 100-200Km away, that should be ok to consider a TATA if you have had positive (or rather non-negative reviews) about that dealership. Driving there once in six months for servicing should be ok.

I am recommending TATA again but for HEXA. HEXA is a cheaper alternative to Crysta I believe. It will give you space and other comforts of the Crysta at a better price and it will be a better deal than the current XUV I suppose. I don't know the price of the AT, but if you can get the AT one in your stretched budget that will be a good buy.

Last edited by sunilch : 11th June 2020 at 17:17.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 17:54   #267
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
I understand that you have had issues with the local TATA dealership but isn't there any other TATA dealer or service center nearby? Even if it is lay 100-200Km away, that should be ok to consider a TATA if you have had positive (or rather non-negative reviews) about that dealership. Driving there once in six months for servicing should be ok.

I am recommending TATA again but for HEXA. HEXA is a cheaper alternative to Crysta I believe. It will give you space and other comforts of the Crysta at a better price and it will be a better deal than the current XUV I suppose. I don't know the price of the AT, but if you can get the AT one in your stretched budget that will be a good buy.
Hexa has been discontinued. At least temporarily.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 01:27   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Heartiest congratulations on your excellent and well informed decision post a careful analysis.

I am a proud owner of 2018 XUV500 AWD Auto Mystic Copper and have been very happy with it.

I will just give You one suggestion, and that is You change over to the W7 Auto model instead of manual. Believe me, this one change would immensely improve your ownership and driving experience. I can understand that You’ll have to stretch your budget a bit, but if You can, please do it, You’ll really like it in the long run.

Welcome back to the fold of owners of the unstoppable and the mighty Cheetah.
wanderingwolf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 07:37   #269

Used Hexa or Used Crysta

Dear Esteemed BHPians,
I'm an avid reader of this forum, and felt privileged of getting a membership.

We are in a dilemma of picking up our next vehicle. Kindly guide us in this regard.

Need:
1. Must be reliable, fuss free, sorted mechanicals and electricals. Also, we would like to keep it atleast for 10 years.
2. Must be a six seater. Can seat 4 adults + 2 kids comfortably.
3. Only AT. I'm a degenerative disc disease patient.
4. Settled ride, vehicle will be ridden 95% of time in well paved roads. So, the vehicle must be rock solid in its ride.
5. No lateral movement, my wife has motion sickness. In our previous vehicle marazzo, she used to vomit while being seated in the last row. So, second and third rows must have minimum to zero vertical movement in its application.
6. Budget: ~14lakhs.
7. Must be safe.

We shortlisted Hexa XTA and Innova Crysta 2.8 ZX AT from the pre-worshipped route.

While we shall get a five year old Hexa for around 13lakhs, the same age Crysta would cost around 16lakhs. Save or spend?

Other suggestions are also welcome. Guide us fellow people. Thank you.
Old 13th October 2022, 08:04   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Used Hexa or Used Crysta

In my experience with people having motion sickness, it's usually not the vehicle in itself - it is the driver.

AT can help to some extent by keeping the gearshifts seamless but smooth sailing takes careful effort from the driver.

If you don't have a lot of running, avoid diesel altogether and look for petrol options , the added quietness of petrol engine is certainly welcomed by those suffering from such conditions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks