Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which SUV would you choose?
MG Hector 36 7.78%
Hyundai Creta 13 2.81%
Kia Seltos 148 31.97%
Tata Harrier 95 20.52%
Jeep Compass 121 26.13%
Mahindra XUV500 22 4.75%
Other (please specify in your post) 28 6.05%
Voters: 463. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2019, 18:19   #31
BHPian

Re: MG Hector vs the competition

Well, the XUV500 feels half baked and is now way too old. The harrier is a great car, but is plagued with niggles. Also, the lack of a petrol option means that it does not cater to everyone. The jeep compass is another gem, but it is backed by a poorly managed company.
The creta is decent, but now feels a bit too common. Not to mention the scary design of the upcoming model. The MG Hector has all that the average SUV buyer looks for, but in my opinion, it looks quirky and the poor cabin quality coupled with the poor high speed dynamics really are deal breakers for me. Not to mention the fact that since it is loaded with tech, I have my apprehensions about its long term reliability. This brings me to the Kia Seltos - a well put together car that has good engines, decent dynamics and all the features that one would need.

Last edited by Sanidhya mukund : 11th November 2019 at 18:22.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 23:12   #32
BHPian

I presently own a Ford Endeavour 2.2 AT which was earlier my father's workhorse. My use is predominantly in the city and the Endy feels too big and cumbersome to drive around in the crowded urban areas. The highway performance is unbeaten but the city slow speed ride quality is too bumpy and I mostly travel alone so moving around in a 7 seater mamoth doesn't make sense.
Therefore, on the launch of MG Hector and Kia Seltos, I was tempted to move to one of these. Took detailed test drives of the Hector when Seltos was not launched and immediately booked 1.5 Petrol Sharp DCT. I was wooed with the features the car offered and the Petrol engine felt smooth for the most part in the long test drives I took. However, soon thereafter, the Kia Seltos was launched. I went to the Kia Showroom and the Sales Manager was known to me so he let me examine the car in great detail, but since the test drive vehicle was unavailable at that time, I couldn't drive it. I felt the space was definitely a scale down from the humungous real estate that the Hector provided. Further, I was disheartened to know that the 1.4 Petrol DCT was only available in the GTX trim and not the GTX+ trim. Dropped the idea for buying the Seltos, although the quality of the materials used on the Dashboard, Doors, Seat upholstery etc was definitely better. Also missed the Huge Panoramic Sunroof.
I had made up my mind to go ahead with the Hector purchase. A few days later, I went through many posts on the internet regarding the low mileage of the DCT variant of the Hector. Some reported FE as low as 5.5 kmpl. It was shocking since my 2.2L Endy, which is a whole lot heavier, delivers minimum 8.5 kmpl in the city, that too with a thirsty torque convertor gearbox. Also, my head had started winning over my head w.r.t. the relatively unknown After Sales Experience of MG in India (Kia was related to Hyundai and that was enough to give a peace of mind). Cancelled the Hector booking and thought I'll retain the Endeavour for a couple of more years.
Few days passed again and the bug to buy a new car bit me again. I went to the Sales Manager at Kia (who is known to me) and asked if a Seltos DCT TD vehicle is available. He informed the DCT GTX+ variant has been launched at a later stage by Kia as per the customer feedback and they have that for the TD. I was so happy to learn about the same since this was the sole big reason for rejecting the Seltos earlier. Took a long test drive and was immediately impressed with the NHV insulation and the refinement of the 1.4L mill. The shifts were also butter smooth and hell quicker than the Hector's sluggish DCT. As already stated above, the quality of the Seltos is definitely the best in the segment and holds up its own even as compared to a segment above. Parents also loved the build quality and fit and finish of the vehicle. Took another long test drive to ensure that the reliable Endeavour is replaced by something that is worth the place. Thoroughly enjoyed the second TD as well and immediately booked the Seltos GTX+ DCT in white color (my observation is that darker shades make it look miniscule). I hope the Seltos comes home soon and then maybe I can put up a detailed initial ownership and long term review. Waiting eagerly.

SELTOS IS HANDS DOWN SUPERIOR TO THE HECTOR IF YOU ARE GOING TO DRIVE YOURSELF. CHAUFFEUR DRIVEN MAY CONSIDER THE HECTOR AS WELL FOR THE RIDE COMFORT AND SPACE.

These were my 2 cents.

Sorry for the long comment.
Thunderlover is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 01:59   #33
BHPian

Voted for Xuv500 mainly for two reason
- Value for Money and good engine with safety features.
- Third row availability for kids for occasional use
- Look wise, I like it than any car in the list (except Jeep Compass)

Second option - Others
- A used Fortuner
- Or new Storme or Scorpio
All in 4x4 mode
Old 12th November 2019, 06:25   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by igniteddriver View Post
Voted for Harrier
Reasons: Harrier is my daily ride these days. In two months’ ownership, I have no reason to hate it or feel unhappy about my buy in terms of ride quality, high speed stability, passenger comfort, or mileage. Most niggles are addressed, except the entertainment unit, which they have promised to replace/upgrade.
Just curious, what niggles you faced and how were they sorted out?
Old 12th November 2019, 09:50   #35
BHPian

Voted for Jeep Compass.

Jeep Compass makes more sense to me with it's amazing driving experience and fantastic 2.0 litre diesel engine. The compact dimensions of vehicle is friendly within city, fits into most of the tight parking space. The only thing I would ask more is the service experience. If Fiat provides better service experience, my next upgrade would be Compass.

My +1 vote to Seltos as well. I would choose this car if my finance is too tight.
The upgrade what I am planning is lateral upgrade for either of cars. Reason being simple, there are pretty good used cars in the market. I am sure there will be plentiful used Seltos and Compass in market in next few years. All you need to do is patiently pick the right one. I was not much aware of the used car market. But when I started looking for replacement for my grand i10, I was surprised to see some good used cars in market. All thanks to GTO. His pre-worshipped threads inspired me to go for lateral upgrade. It is indeed beautiful upgrade. Currently I own pre-owned Duster. I picked the Duster from Trident used cars. The car was 2016 model, 85PS, RXL, explorer edition with just 8500 kms on ODO. Sorry for bit off-topic content but I thought it was worth mentioning in the post.
Old 12th November 2019, 10:00   #36
KPR
BANNED

Voted for Jeep Compass. For me it's the quintessential SUV. Both comfort and pleasure of 4x4. If outside compass I've to look out for others I would consider a Isuzu V-cross (for the no nonsense brand) and Thar (with AC and hard top).
Old 12th November 2019, 14:05   #37
BHPian

Well, for a 2WD 'SUV', among the given options, it's Compass any-day for me. I can easily live without features and acres of real estate. The Jeep feels head and shoulders above the competition here in terms of performance, dynamics and ride quality, and that's what matters to me the most.

Last edited by xjosephjacob : 12th November 2019 at 14:15.
Old 12th November 2019, 15:17   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for Jeep Compass.

This is one car that pulled me towards the SUV segment. A stylish, powerful and a capable SUV.

I do like XUV500 as well, but I feel its outdated now.

My second choice would be Harrier. A very nice package but spoiled by the initial niggles. I still wonder why Tata decided to detune the engine when it is pitted against Compass and Hector. If it was to differentiate from its 7 seater version, then they should have launched it together or within a short gap, two years gap is just too much.

Meanwhile this thread has also given a hint on what is going to be the team bhp COTY.
arun_josie is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 20:27   #39
BANNED

Voted others, my pick in that budget range is Tata Hexa in XTA variant.

Reasons for picking Hexa over others: brilliant ride quality, smooth automatic transmission. I consider good ride quality with balanced handling as luxury over other visible features.

Other options in the order of preference:
  1. Jeep Compass (Price is the only deterrent for me in case of Compass)
  2. Kia Seltos (Best overall package out of the all the given options)
  3. Tata Harrier (It's best looker of the lot here, and also I admire Tata Motors a lot, lack of AT box is a downer)
  4. Mahindra XUV500 (That dashboard is downer for me)

Last edited by wheelguy : 12th November 2019 at 20:30.
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 13:17   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutsy View Post
Just curious, what niggles you faced and how were they sorted out?
I was referring to issues that existed in the initial versions, which are widely reported on online forums. I am not facing any issues as such except the entertainment unit, which hangs once in a while. It is a very unpredictable behavior with no pattern.

They have "reparameterized" the unit, which I think is nothing but a fancy name for reinstall or reset to factory default, using some online system and it takes some three hours. Along with this, they updated the BCM module, which probably had some newer version.

I need to wait and see whether the "reparameterization is of any use"

Except for this, I am a happy owner.
igniteddriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 14:19   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who_are_you View Post
Voted for Jeep. No other competitor offers proper 4x4. What is the use of an SUV, if you are not taking it offroad ?
The notion of an SUV being a compulsory off-roader is obsolete now. Modern SUVs(Crossovers) are light, nimble, monocoque, highway tourers and great for tackling the ever increasing potholes, speed breakers, curbs, pavements, parking lots' entry approaches and other urban challenges.
There needs to be a distinction made between the SUV and 4x4 Offroad SUV. A Rs. 12Lac(On road) Creta could be perfect for purposes for people who need high ground clearance, comfortable seating in the rear seat for 3, good luggage capacity for 5, refined motor, great NVH and a decent fuel efficiency....in comparison to a Rs 18 Lac(on road) Scorpio 4x4.
DeepakS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 14:56   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who_are_you View Post
Voted for Jeep. No other competitor offers proper 4x4. What is the use of an SUV, if you are not taking it offroad ?
I have been driving SUVs now for about five years after driving sedans/hatchbacks for 9 years.

I have never done any kind of off roading ever on any car nor am I interested.

But if I have to choose between an SUV (including compact/crossovers/behemoths/proper 4*4 etc) or a sedan, my vote is 100% towards the former.
Old 13th November 2019, 18:03   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakS View Post
The notion of an SUV being a compulsory off-roader is obsolete now. Modern SUVs(Crossovers) are light, nimble, monocoque, highway tourers and great for tackling the ever increasing potholes, speed breakers, curbs, pavements, parking lots' entry approaches and other urban challenges.
There needs to be a distinction made between the SUV and 4x4 Offroad SUV. A Rs. 12Lac(On road) Creta could be perfect for purposes for people who need high ground clearance, comfortable seating in the rear seat for 3, good luggage capacity for 5, refined motor, great NVH and a decent fuel efficiency....in comparison to a Rs 18 Lac(on road) Scorpio 4x4.

OT, but then what is the 'S' in an SUV if it doesn't offer a 4wd for leisure/recreation or utility purpose? A 2wd can not offer sports utility and hence few people refrain from calling 2wd UV's as 'SUV.

In my opinion, a 2wd variant of a SUV (Endeavour, Scorpio, Safari etc) is as good as a truck or just a utility vehicle. Calling hatches like Ecosport, Venue, Rio, WRV as SUV certainly sounds amusing to me because it neither offers 'S'(sport) nor 'U'(utility- cargo or people mover).

I know there will be difference of opinions. I also know that all manufacturers want to sell their large hatches in the guise of a SUV and that everyone wants to buy an SUV.

Last edited by desiaztec : 13th November 2019 at 18:05.
desiaztec is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 20:31   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiaztec View Post
OT, but then what is the 'S' in an SUV if it doesn't offer a 4wd for leisure/recreation or utility purpose? A 2wd can not offer sports utility and hence few people refrain from calling 2wd UV's as 'SUV.

In my opinion, a 2wd variant of a SUV (Endeavour, Scorpio, Safari etc) is as good as a truck or just a utility vehicle. Calling hatches like Ecosport, Venue, Rio, WRV as SUV certainly sounds amusing to me because it neither offers 'S'(sport) nor 'U'(utility- cargo or people mover).

I know there will be difference of opinions. I also know that all manufacturers want to sell their large hatches in the guise of a SUV and that everyone wants to buy an SUV.
Poor SUV owners I must say, they do not know what to call their vehicles. Let me explain the problem. I am not countering your opinion, just some FYI stuff , reading material.

You cannot call it a car, because, you see it looks a bit different and they have paid more than a hatch or a truck due to the lack of a load carrying bed. You cannot call it a van because thats what used to take you to school or a bus or even a motorbike. So some clever car maker has given this new name to call this hybrid of a vehicle.

Having 4WD means its probably meant to drive over slippery stuff, mud \ snow etc, in certain countries these are common occurrence - ex - Canada.
So you have vehicles like Jaguar XJ, Mercedes E Class , all kinds of Audi etc available with 4WD (AWD & 4 Wheels). Are they SUVs?

Now that Sport bit is out of the way, how about the 'U' in SUV, the hatchback actually makes a good crossover SUV material as its very useful in comparison to a sedan. You can fit a full size washing machine and its carton packing inside an old Maruti 800, sedans even three times its size are not this useful - Utility - Check!

By the way this M800 carries the same number of people as a full size range rover.

The one rule designers of cars follow is not to have any rules
El Camino ? how about a trip to Australia and see what they are driving, them Utes.

Fun Fact : Alto used to have a Van version somewhere, google it - can you call it a Van? your choice!
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 08:49   #45
BHPian

I have voted for the Compass because I would love to own one. But since the wallet dictates terms, I have booked a Seltos, since it's the best overall package - looks, price & features.
r0nit7 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks