Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2020, 10:02   #16
BHPian

Re: 13-year old Toyota Innova - Keep or replace?

Keep the Innova. Nothing to beat the old school engineering, sheet metal quality and sheer reliability of vintage Toyotas. I have a 2006 Corolla, which has clocked similar kilometres on the ODO. Apart from some minor gremlins that crop up (and automatically get resolved) with the power windows and auto OVRMs, the car continues to be my daily ride in the city and for touring. Last major expense (touchwood), was replacement of all four tyres. Regular servicing and considerate driving will ensure that you enjoy the services of your Grand Ole Dame/Dude for a long time to come
sam_babushka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 11:10   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
A new BS6 diesel Ertiga will put to rest all uncertainty for next 10 years. And will allow you to sell your Innova before 15 years are up and there is some policy change regarding fitness certificate of old diesel vehicles.
Sorry, but there is no BS6 diesel Ertiga today.
Old 18th February 2020, 12:23   #18
BHPian

If you are not switching over to EV now, I would recommend you to RETAIN the Innova for couple more years at least

my rationale - if you buy a New vehicle now, the depreciation value of the new car and interest (on additional cost) will be sizable - even after taking out regular maintenance of innova to the extent of 30K + some more incidentals of 20K you are still in a good place.

After couple of years if you could get the fitness again (which is for 5 years) and if you can even sell the car for decent price (this is with the assumption that it is not banned). Even if there are some bans, i doubt it will be for private vehicles and it won't be pan-india or whole of KA... may be Cities will ban due to congestion and pollution. Whereas, there will always be a market for this kind of vehicles in Rural/2nd or 3 tier cities.

In 2 or 3 years, EV market will mature and we should get better EVs with better range (at least for your Mom's usage) by then you can take a call on your new vehicle.

I see your location as London... you can tell how the EV/Charging infra has come up in UK.... we can expect atleast 50% of what happened in UK in last 2 years to happen in In India in next 2 years. I for sure feel EV charging infra is not going to be like CNG infra which did not expand beyond cities (CNG had lack of govt push at national level whereas the EVs have subsidies and push from Govts - both GOI and States)
BrakingBad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 12:30   #19
BHPian

I have a December, 2006 Civic. The car has completed around 1.1 Lakh KMs and still never fails to put a smile on my face. However, though she is very reliable small issues keep coming up which take up a lot my time and energy to fix. Plus the added costs too. I plan to keep her for long and renew the Fitness in future due to the paltry resale value of the Civic and available parking at my residence. However, in case I was getting close to 6 lacs I would let her go keeping my emotional sentiment aside.

I would suggest you let go of the Innova as small issues will start creeping up sooner or later and upgrade to the Likes of XL6.
Old 18th February 2020, 13:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51morris View Post

My brother has done some checks back in Bangalore and has found buyers offering 6L for the Innova. Do you think its a good idea to sell it off and pick up a petrol MPV (e.g. Ertiga) instead?
I have an Ertiga myself, but I honestly believe that there is only one replacement for the Innova - a new Innova.

Well, the Kia Carnival might be a good option too, but not sure if it has the reliability that the Innova has.
nishsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 13:11   #21
BHPian

My cousin has an Innova 2007, done 2,50,000 Kms. He got it repainted and refurbished all the interiors at the authorized service center, he spent close to Rs. 3 Lakhs, he replaced whatever need to repaired and now the car feels like new. Toyota engines are set to run for a lifetime.

You will regret your decision if you sell the Innova and buy an Ertiga. I drive an Ertiga daily, Ertiga cannot match the comfort of an Innova!

My advice is not to sell the Innova.
Old 18th February 2020, 14:34   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We have a 13 year old Toyota Innova (2.4L Diesel) that has done about 1,30,000 kms. The car is generally trouble free with a yearly service costing about INR 15,000. In terms of usage, it does around 8-10k kms a year with Mom being driven around in the comfort of the rear seat.
In other words, your car is providing far more value to you than the 6-lakh rupees it'll get in the market.

My advice = Retain it. For one, the fitness certificate is a mere formality (my Jeep goes through that every 5 years). Second, diesels aren't disappearing in a country like India - they will be here for a long time to come. Lastly & most importantly, if it was any other car, I'd tell you to sell. But 1.3 lakh km on an Innova means it's only completed its running-in period .
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 14:53   #23
BANNED

Quote:
We have a 13 year old Toyota Innova (2.4L Diesel) that has done about 1,30,000 kms. The car is generally trouble free with a yearly service costing about INR 15,000. In terms of usage, it does around 8-10k kms a year with Mom being driven around in the comfort of the rear seat.
I would suggest to sell with exchange price as this car will not get option to renew RC after 5 years and it will become scrap. Instead go for cars like Hyundai Venue, Ertiga etc., where you can still have option to buy another car with exchange offer after 5 years (if it is really required). Since it is 15 years back car there are many features which are out dated when compare to new cars.

Last edited by Sheel : 18th February 2020 at 15:02. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Old 18th February 2020, 15:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

If you are only getting 6 lakhs for it, you will have to spend at least that much more to get a replacement. And then too, said replacement will be no where near the innova in terms of comfort.

My 2 cents- spend about 3 lakhs, get the innova refurbished- take it to DC designs or some other interior custom shop (they are aplenty in bangalore), they will do a fab job on the interiors. get the exteriors spruced up at 3M, get the suspension overhauled, and you are good tto go for another 1 lakh plus.
himanshugoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 15:16   #25
BHPian

Keep that car. Reason: Its an Innova. Even if you account Rs 20,000 per month for maintenance it will keep running like clock work with regular maintenance. And more importantly Ertiga cannot match the comfort of an Innova. And a new car will depreciate really fast in the initial years.
Getting a fitness certificate is not a concern and for a car like Innova it is just a formality .
Old 18th February 2020, 15:36   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohanBabu.P View Post
I would suggest to sell with exchange price as this car will not get option to renew RC after 5 years and it will become scrap.
The 10 year cap on diesel cars' lives is a NCR-specific rule which was imposed by the NGT in response to the catastrohpically bad air quality indices in that region. The OP seems to be based out of Bangalore and the NCR-specific 10 year cap rule doesn't apply to him.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 15:38   #27
Senior - BHPian

Like GTO said keep the car. At 6 lacs you wont get anything which is equivalent in value and also the car is paid off, does not have too many miles run on it and also FC is just a formality and easily done.

Why sell when it is not broken, unless you want something new and flashy in your garage to please your neighbors.

Lastly as Himmanshu said, go for a interior and exterior refurbish and drive for another ten years.

I use a 16 year old vehicle as my daily driver to work, and even the minor work done is cheaper than having a loan on your head.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 15:39   #28
BHPian

I sail in the same boat - have a 13 year old Honda city , 135K on the odo, drives well.. low on maintenance. Ridiculous quotes from buyers (mostly resellers), hence i am keeping it but if i could get 6L i will sell it off
Old 18th February 2020, 16:46   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Hello T-BHP'ians,

Hope you're doing well!

With the car hitting the 15 year mark and needing a new fitness certificate, I was wondering if its going to be a problem going forward. Will this be more of a liability in future with Diesels being frowned upon everywhere?

My brother has done some checks back in Bangalore and has found buyers offering 6L for the Innova. Do you think its a good idea to sell it off and pick up a petrol MPV (e.g. Ertiga) instead?

Do let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,
Praveen
Why fix(or replace in your case) something when its not broken?

Great idea to keep it running.
Old 18th February 2020, 17:10   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
But 1.3 lakh km on an Innova means it's only completed its running-in period .
Absolutely!!

I have friends who have completed 5 lakh km on their innovas. We drive similar (1.xx lakh km) mileage run Marutis and believe they would last another lakh km easily.

For 6 lakhs, you don't even get a top spec Tiago these days. If you feel the car is old, try replacing seat covers with new ones(did this trick with a Rapid in our family, 6 years and 1.6 lakh km, it did feel a lot fresher with new covers ), a nice PPF or a basic waxing.
As many have already told, there is so much value your Innova holds that 6 lakhs is a very small sum to settle at.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 18th February 2020 at 17:15.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks