Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2020, 20:01   #31
BHPian

Re: 13-year old Toyota Innova - Keep or replace?

Don't sell the Innova for the following reasons:

1. It's a Toyota. It will last a lifetime. The mechanicals of these old school Toyotas are very very robust. New cars don't give such confidence.
2. Toyota has nothing in the price range of your older Innova to offer you. Are you prepared to spend 20 lakhs for Crysta?
3. Since backseat comfort and space is your priority the rivals - Storme, Hexa, won't be that long-lasting. The market has nothing to offer for 10-12 lakhs. You have very limited options, my friend, unless you are ready to consider downgrades.
4. Diesels are not going anywhere.
5. FC is not a long and complicated process.
Old 18th February 2020, 22:00   #32
BHPian

We have a petrol innova which has run 200000 now and is 15 soon, its still as comfortable as it was 15 years ago, we recently changed all fluids including coolant , gearbox oil . Diesel ban is questionable run it as long as u can . Once you are used to an innova nothing else will do

P.S- Thats scorpios tagline
terra85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 22:07   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is my friend's Innova. Same 2007 vintage, was bought in 2012 as a pre-owned car with 1.2 lakh km on the odo, now after another 2.1 lakh km, the car still runs fine.

13-year old Toyota Innova - Keep or replace?-img20200218wa00372.jpg

Your car is practically a virgin
PrasannaDhana is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 22:30   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51morris View Post
In terms of usage, it does around 8-10k kms a year with Mom being driven around in the comfort of the rear seat.
Unless you need an AT, don't sell the car. There's nothing nearly as comfortable as the Innovas rear seat. A Hexa/Crysta will cost you big bucks.

Keep it for a few more years and hopefully the replacement can be an EV
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 09:45   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We have a 13 year old Toyota Innova (2.4L Diesel) that has done about 1,30,000 kms. The car is generally trouble free with a yearly service costing about INR 15,000. In terms of usage, it does around 8-10k kms a year with Mom being driven around in the comfort of the rear seat.

With the car hitting the 15 year mark and needing a new fitness certificate, I was wondering if its going to be a problem going forward. Will this be more of a liability in future with Diesels being frowned upon everywhere?

A lakh km is just running in for an Innova. Unless the person regularly driving it has problem with his left knee and needs an automatic, it will be best to keep it. Innovas can easily run 5X what you have done without only routine maintenance and service. Until an practical EV option is available there is no option to an Innova.

Rahul
Old 19th February 2020, 10:38   #36
BHPian

I don't think anyone has to vouch for Innova's reliability anymore but nevertheless, here is a brief history of my Dad's innovas.

first one bought in 2006 and sold in 2011. My dad was keen on Scorpio but convinced him to buy Innova based on team-bhp feedback. Final odo was over 3-Lakh KMs. Warranty issues faced: None. Bought for around 9 lakhs, sold for 5 lakhs. Had seller remorse after selling it. Should have kept it as second car for mom instead of buying a new ertiga for her.

Second one was bought in 2011 and sold in 2018. Final odo was again over 3-Lakh KMs. Warranty issues faced: None. Bought for around 13 lakhs, sold for 6.5 lakhs.

Third one (Crysta) was bought in 2019. Current odo at around 50K KMs. Warranty issues faced: None. Bought for 19.5 lakhs.
Comrade is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 10:57   #37
BANNED

I am also in same confusion.. My Fortuner bought in January 2010 has completed only 79000 kilometers . The dealers are offering 8-9 lakhs for her. I am in a dilemma whether to keep it or not...
My swift VDi bought in 2009 march (preowned with 6400kilometers in odo), has now completed 225000 kilometers. The service cost nowadays is around 7-10k on an average. Everyone including my family members are advising me to change the car...Confused...
Regards
Dilip
Old 19th February 2020, 11:18   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
My Fortuner bought in January 2010 has completed only 79000 kilometers . The dealers are offering 8-9 lakhs for her.
And those same dealers list 2010 Fortuners with 1.5 lac+ Km on the odometer for a minimum of 11 lacs INR. 79000 km is nothing for a brute Toyota Fortuner. It has its whole life ahead of it.

However, if you do sell, cut the middleman out of it. Sell it to a fellow BHP-ian such as myself (but not myself, since I am not actively looking to buy right now) who would willingly pay you those 11 lakhs. People like me do exist, who start the process of pampering our rides by pampering the seller! (I made a superb offer that left our A-Star AT's erstwhile owner speechless; he had immaculately maintained the car and I had to reward him justly for his efforts...)
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 13:16   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Everyone including my family members are advising me to change the car...Confused...
from a person who has done that mistake -

Keep it. 79000 is nothing.

Even if you were to sell at 11L, you would need more to get a similar vehicle. If you really want another one, get a smaller one with the extra amount you would need to get that replacement. This way you will continue to have your Fortuner that you have known from it's purchase time, and a smaller car that can do lot other duties.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 13:39   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My swift VDi bought in 2009 march (preowned with 6400kilometers in odo), has now completed 225000 kilometers. The service cost nowadays is around 7-10k on an average. Everyone including my family members are advising me to change the car...Confused...
Regards
Dilip
What do you think a 2 owners used, 2.25 lakhs km run, 11 year old swift would fetch you in used cars market?

About a lakh and a half maybe. You can rather use it for 4 more years as a beater car. 7-10k every 10000 km is nominal considering the fact that even new swift would cost you the same to maintain.

If your dilemma was about fortuner, answer would be - Retain

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 19th February 2020 at 13:43.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 15:28   #41
ZMG
BHPian

Hi

I think you should absolutely keep the Innova.
Bangalore FC is very easy.
I have posted on the FC thread the procedure.

At 1.3 Lakhs your car has a lot of life left, and honestly you should not consider it as 6 L rupee sale, but a further investment on 4 L to get Ertiga.

Is that 4L rupee investment really needed ?
Old 19th February 2020, 18:44   #42

Quote:
Do you think its a good idea to sell it off and pick up a petrol MPV (e.g. Ertiga) instead?
Hi Praveen,

My humble suggestion is to retain it, the Ertiga is a big step down in all aspects.

I am in the same boat as you, need a C-SUV for my parents occasional usage (< 8-10k kms a year, 100% chauffeur driven) as the 2013 VW Jetta is ageing plus a sedan is not very senior citizen friendly either.
I had shortlisted Renualt Duster for its excellent ride quality and posted this in the Duster thread, other BHPian's suggested I look at Ertiga and Brezza. Got my parents to travel in the rear seat of Ecosport and the Ertiga, both were rejected outright and yet to get a test ride on the Duster. In between all these, parents keep mentioning their experiences in my cousin's 2012 Toyota Innova 7 seater and looks like that is what they want. Their usage pattern doesn't justify buying a new Crysta and not in favour of buying a pre-owned Innova, hence zeroing in on the Duster.

Sorry for going OT, but my point is there is something about the Innova that people love, so try and retain it. The maintenance figure of even Rs. 20,000 a year is nothing for that gem of a machine. But if you decide to sell it, do get your mother to travel in an Ertiga and ensure she is comfortable enough, and once she does that there are high chances she will pick the 13 year old Innova over the Ertiga

Cheers!
Old 20th February 2020, 02:25   #43
BHPian

Since you are considering Ertiga Petrol for Innova Diesel, two things came to my mind is as below.

1. Either your usage is very less vs the money you spend for yearly maintenance (You already mentioned that car is for your mom, so the usage might be limited to first and second row normally)
2. Or the car is registered at region that is affected or may get affected by NGT diesel ban.

If any of the above is not true, I would not suggest selling Innova for Ertiga petrol.

Last edited by arunrajk81 : 20th February 2020 at 02:50. Reason: missing word - spell correction
Old 20th February 2020, 06:08   #44
BHPian

I would have preferred a new car. The smell of a new car and a new feeling of learning your new car is a very heart touching experience. You start off with a new journey all together. You can shift to a smaller car if those extra seats ain't your thing.
Old 20th February 2020, 08:23   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
I would have preferred a new car. The smell of a new car and a new feeling of learning your new car is a very heart touching experience. You start off with a new journey all together. You can shift to a smaller car if those extra seats ain't your thing.

Not really relevant to the OP's question but the new car smell is not really good for you

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/under...-car-smell.htm

And you even get a car perfume to get the new car smell

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks