Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Rs. 30 lakh SUV would you choose?
Ford Endeavour 2.0 173 40.33%
Toyota Fortuner 118 27.51%
Mahindra Alturas G4 15 3.50%
Skoda Kodiaq 106 24.71%
Honda CR-V 4 0.93%
Other (please specify in your post) 13 3.03%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2020, 12:09   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford Endeavour 2.0 vs the competition

My pick will be Fortuner over anything else. It misses a few things, Panoramic roof being one major, but that’s just for me and may not be a big thing for everyone. Same way, some guys show concerns for missing Airplay in Fortuner. I can tell you from experiences on many other cars that came equipped with car play, it’s a nice feature but not something based on which one should choose a Car. In the past, there was a similar thread if I remember correctly, and my advice was to check both cars and then decide what works best for an individual. However, with this 2,0 Ltr, I won't be hestitated in going ahead with Fortuner over an Endeavour.

No matter how much we talk about Turbo Power or the 10-speed gear-box, this power train is no way near to the Fortuner. And the guys who crib about cheap plastics need to see both the cars after 5 or more years. Everything that’s put on a Toyota will last much longer than any other manufacturer, that’s one major reason of high residual values of Toyota.

Let me explain a bit from my own experiences with both Fortuner/ Endeavour and then some vehicles much higher in the food chain. It's a fact that Japanese prefer fewer features over the functionality/ usability. And this is true across products, most guys will remember how Sony & Panasonic ruled the TV market and both will have only limited features unlike others. But they will always have the best picture quality. Now, there are people who need anything and everything in one Car, fair. Fortuner is definitely short on the long list that perhaps one can get in a Kia or Kodiaq but remember the purpose of buying an Automobile! A good quality phone mount can probably take care of the Carplay but no matter what you do, there will not be any solution to that engine combo or things like that.

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th April 2020 at 12:13.
Turbanator is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 13:41   #17
BANNED

Voted for Endeavour.

Personally, the Fortuner does not give me a sense of driving a 40L vehicle, reason being the bland interiors, lack of features which give the car a premium touch. For those who do hard core off roading, the Fortuner may have a slight edge with better calibration of traction control and other related hardware but for all other purposes the Endeavour comes out on top.

Coming to the downsizing of engine in the BS avatar - I guess as we move forward towards cleaner vehicles this is inevitable. The new engine with the new 10 speed gearbox works like a charm and cruising ability is impeccable. 100 km/h at around 1400 rpm is insane! Yes, it may not win you drag races but I am someone who respects physics more than active/passive safety features on board. The bigger the car; more sedately I drive.

There is no denying that Toyota is synonymous with quality and reliability in the long run but any car that is well looked after with timely and preventive maintenance will not disappoint either.

If resale was the only criteria to buy a car then we would only have Japanese cars on our roads.
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 16:20   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

How an engine can change things. The last time we had an Endeavour poll, it had 74% of the votes (link). As of now here, the Fortuner is leading or both are on par.

It's either the engine or people just love the new Fortuner (last poll was against old Fortuner).
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 16:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

I'd buy a SUV for engine, 4*4 capability, reliability and looks - not necessarily in that order. At present Fortuner is the only vehicle that fulfills the 4 criterias - although not a great fan of its looks. So its a Fortuner for me.
Old 7th April 2020, 19:05   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry for the OT, but, I think Skoda, Volkswagen & Mitsubishi likes should mandate their employees to read Team-BHP during these trying times to up their spirits.

This is the only place where a car is truly appreciated for what it is, irrespective of being stereotyped. Look at the Kodiaq votes..
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 19:09   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
My pick will be Fortuner over anything else. It misses a few things, Panoramic roof being one major, but that’s just for me and may not be a big thing for everyone. ........
I have voted for the Fortuner and was going to write down the reasons, but you have already mentioned it way better than I could have done. Just to add to what you have written, I voted for the Fortuner because it still has an MT option. I would love to drive MT cars till the point they are no longer available.
BlackPearl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 20:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

If I wanted brute offroad with proper butch looks it would be Endeavour.

If I was more inclined to city, highway and a bit of go anywhere capability once in a while it would be the Kodiaq.
You have nailed it. A prospective Endeavour customer will test drive the Fortuner and give Kodiaq a miss, similarly one looking for Kodiaq might check X3/Allspace and chances are slim he will visit Toyota/Ford showroom. Barring price, there is nothing common! Personally I prefer the ladder frame which suits my driving style, needs and taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
And that's not even bringing in its road manners. On any mountain road, the Kodiaq will run rings around its body-on-frame competitors. @ PrideRed: If you want speed, the Kodiaq with a simple remap is the one for you.
I love SUV's because the way they glide over bad roads or pounce on those monster road humps. I love the low end drivability of big engines and speed is the last thing I would look from SUV. 3.2L on Endeavour gave you bragging rights which the Fortuner holds now. 150HP monocoque will make Kodiaq couple seconds faster which would hardly matter in real world and not really special for 45 lacs to me. The story would have been different had Kodiaq come with 190HP tune from factory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
And the guys who crib about cheap plastics need to see both the cars after 5 or more years. Everything that’s put on a Toyota will last much longer than any other manufacturer, that’s one major reason of high residual values of Toyota.
Agree on this, barring the German trio I have found Toyota puts its plastic quite well, while providing good quality for the price. Over the years the there are hardly any rattles.

This is probably hardest and closest contest ever witnessed on TBHP. Wish Toyota had positioned Prado sensibly.

Last edited by PrideRed : 7th April 2020 at 20:09.
Old 7th April 2020, 20:25   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
How an engine can change things.

It's either the engine or people just love the new Fortuner (last poll was against old Fortuner).
I guess the new Endeavour was a generation ahead; it was not just the engine but the total package. However, the newer generation Fortuner could not maintain the same lead as in the older generation of both models.

In past 2 Years, as with any other Toyota, Fortuner has seen hardly any changes, whereas Endeavour has seen many changes/ feature upgrades. From Audio to Engine to gearbox. New customers do give weightage to a fresh and updated car, but it's a challenge for a manufacturer. If we look at the Endeavour thread, there are multiple posts about transmission/ audio and other updates being available and the complaints whereas with Toyota, it‘s easy - make no changes, no updates so nothing to worry. Maybe such limited functionality add to their reliability. I even don't know if there is an option to update any software in Fortuner or even the mighty LC at first place
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I think Skoda, Volkswagen & Mitsubishi likes should mandate their employees to read Team-BHP during these trying times to up their spirits.
Look at the Kodiaq votes..
Absolutely, in fact, I wrote but then deleted my 2 experiences with Test drive of Kodiaq, would have been very controversial given the popularity here. Frankly, Kodiaq should not be even in this thread at first place if we were to use the Fortuner or Endeavour for their intended purposes but both vehicles cater to a very different set of customers in India. Toyota's highest selling variant is 4x2 Automatic in India which I am sure will be opposite in Australia. For us, these are urban SUV's so the comparison with Kodiaq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I I voted for the Fortuner because it still has an MT option.

One Quick Question to the guys who have voted for the Kodiaq - Are you aware that there will be no more Diesel Kodiaq, at least for the time being?

Quote:
Then the ladder frames are not at all good in this aspect. The Kodiaq ride over bad roads is leagues ahead of the Fortuner and Endeavour.

I was in same boat when thinking of spending 41-42 (not 45) for the Kodiaq but the performance and real world driving vs the Endeavour and the Innova 2.8 were like day and night.
Let's wait for a couple of Years. Unless, someone is driving only on the urban roads, perhaps all three will be similar but if the usage is on the broken roads or gravel, I am afraid you will look at an expensive suspension overhaul on a Kodiaq. I agree with your observations on the Kodiaq being nimble and faster because it's made to do that. A Jeep Compass will also do exactly same. People who will normally travel to office and back and an occasional trip to Leh or in NE, Kodiaq will serve equally well but so will be Jeep Compass, so we can add that as an option as well and there will be many more such vehicles!

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th April 2020 at 20:50.
Turbanator is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 20:25   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I love SUV's because the way they glide over bad roads or pounce on those monster road humps.
Then the ladder frames are not at all good in this aspect. The Kodiaq ride over bad roads is leagues ahead of the Fortuner and Endeavour.

Unless you fly over speed humps without slowing down which both cars can do but is anyways pointless cause it will do equal damage to both types.

Quote:
150HP monocoque will make Kodiaq couple seconds faster which would hardly matter in real world and not really special for 45 lacs to me. The story would have been different had Kodiaq come with 190HP tune from factory!
This is actually the opposite. The idea of getting the 150BHP Kodiaq cause the 150BHP is more driveable in the real world vs the 190BHP.

The 190BHP only plays a part above 120kmph and both tunes are similar in real world driving. The 150BHP provides the low end and is ideal in most driving conditions other than high speed performance.

I was in same boat when thinking of spending 41-42 (not 45) for the Kodiaq but the performance and real world driving vs the Endeavour and the Innova 2.8 were like day and night. A small dab of the accelerator and the Kodiaq would leave both behind. Same in single lane highways and twisties. With the Kodiaq you don't need to slow down as much for turns vs the ladder frame and none of them can keep up in most conditions.

The features, quality, performance, luxury and overall package were easily worth the 10L over the top end Innova.

I have a Toyota corolla and getting a Skoda was a tough choice but nothing came close.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 21:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Unless you fly over speed humps without slowing down which both cars can do but is anyways pointless cause it will do equal damage to both types.
I haven't driven Kodiaq so cannot comment. I have driven Compass/Tiguan and while driving I could clearly feel the potholes, had to slow down on road humps where as in Endeavour/Fortuner would glide as if there was nothing. Duster was the only monocoque I could do these.The story however was different come back seat. While Fortuner becomes unbearable, Endeavour is better but would rate it slightly below Compass. There is no competition w.r.to pace/speed, Endeavour/Fortuner is not meant to excel anyway and should look at Compass/Tuscon is one likes driving fast.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 07:56   #26
BHPian

Voted for the Kodiaq.
The Kodiaq is just around the corner and it's coming with 190 horses which I guess makes it the most powerful SUV in its segment and the first one to crack the sub 10 second barrier. Kodiaq was supposed to mean an Alaskan bear and that's what the 2.0 TDI was. Calm, relaxed and stress free. But with the 2.0 TSI it isn't a bear anymore. It's a bull that is coming here!

I would have voted for the Endeavour if Ford had retained the 3.2 engine. Sigh.
Old 9th April 2020, 11:06   #27
BHPian

Voted for "other". Would go with a nicely maintained used Endeavour 3.2 4x4 with decent odo reading for its punchy engine and handling dynamics. A well rounded SUV and a keeper.
anshu1101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 11:18   #28
BHPian

Ford Endeavour gets my vote ! Three reasons:

a) It has the most creature comforts (interiors, features, ride quality, steering) amongst all in the list with the exception of Kodiaq but the German could come with its own set of "Skoda" challenges

b) The latest in engine tech and gearbox - a much improved mileage from its predecessors. Super silent. Reliable.

c) Low maintenance cost (yes - it is actually low !) and literally a no head-ache car unless you fall in that 1% bracket who need to upgrade/change parts and play around the car for specific needs
prateekvidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 11:50   #29
BHPian

IMO, Isuzu MUX also should have featured in this comparison.
Whilst it may not be selling as much as the competition, it is a very capable Ladder on Frame AT 4WD. It would definitely be a better competitor of Endeavour/ Fortuner as compared to CRV/ Kodiaq.
nvldvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 12:35   #30
BHPian

Voted for Kodiaq.

It is my next target buy. While the Endeavour 3.2 was a target, the 2.0 is definitely not & now the Kodiaq makes way more sense. I personally never liked the Fortuner except for its reliability, there is no major reason for the vehicle.

I may not take the Kodiaq to Leh but most likely it has the most balanced ride & handling in the SUVs mentioned here. And I have grown to like the very nifty hacks of VW stable over my usage of the GT TSi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks