Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2020, 11:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Used pre-owned SUV or MPV with 3 seat rows

My understanding and recommendations in order of preference:

1) Maruti Ertiga/XL6(depending on your look preference)---NEW
2) M&M Marazzo(Pre Owned)- Low Odo kms
3) Tata Hexa(Pre Owned). Its a decent car for what it offers and you will get them in the used market if you look hard.
4)Innova(Pre Owned). Yes. the mileage will be touching 1 lac. But then the big T is known to be hassle free and I have personally seen Innovas in excess of 3 lacs working flawlessly.

Some Unconventional Thoughts:
1) CRV. Very car like and a decent handler
2) Grand Vitara. Will be vintage but a great car nonetheless

If only 5 occupants are fine:
ALL NEW:
SONET>Ford ES>Brezza/NEXON/Urban Cruiser>XUV300>Venue
arnabchak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 12:29   #17
BHPian

Re: Need suggestions on getting a new ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
But on this topic, are you sure that Mahindra and Tata would fare any better over long term usage in terms of rattles or parts failing prematurely? The forum is filled with multiple posts suggesting otherwise. Even Toyota's built quality has come under the scanner with the current version of the Innova Crysta.

A close friend and fellow BHPian has an XL6 and I was pleasantly surprised with the whole package and the VFM offering that it is. Hence would urge you to take a TD once.
Absolutely sir. If I did not have a first hand experience of MSIL, I would have included the XL6 on the top of my list for sure. Tata/Mahindra too could have a similar fate and that is precisely why I am looking upto this forum for suggestions. Infact have heard similar feedback for the XUV which is why I put the hexa on top of the list. Again, no first hand experience with the XUV/Hexa.
My extended family has the 2.5 innova and even with around 1.5 lakh kms on the odo, its as tight as a new one which is the reason I am willing to make an exception for the budget in case of the Innova. I will however include the XL6 as well in my list if I switch to looking for a new car.

Given the suggestions from this group, will stick to the Hexa/XUV in the used market. BTW how is the maintenance cost for these?

If I look for new cars, will look at the XL6, Marazzo, XUV, crysta
centaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 12:32   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Used pre-owned SUV or MPV with 3 seat rows

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
I now feel the need for a bigger/better car, something which can seat 3 adults and 2 children on car seats/booster seats
You need a bigger car for sure. In the blink of an eye, the kids will be all grown up. Would strongly suggest the XUV500 AT & Hexa AT. Both have extremely competent automatics mated to brilliant 2.2L diesel engines. The reliability of late model XUV500s & the Hexa (basically an improved Aria) is also mostly good.

Go for AT only. With large vehicles, no point in MT as they are anyway not corner-carving tools.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 14:43   #19
BHPian

My 2p on this:
The Xuv 500 makes for a good purchase new but does not age well. Surprised to see it being recommended here.
You will not find a Hexa XTA within your budget. An XT maybe but the clutch is cumbersome and the steering is heavy. Not something your wife will appreciate.
No Innova Crysta within 10-12 lakhs unless it has a ridiculous number of miles.
Your best bet is the previous gen Innova but IIRC there was no Auto box.
You should look at increasing the budget by 2 L and look for the Hexa XTA. Or else a used manual Crysta or new Marazzo. They aren’t really difficult to drive even in the manual guise.
Iyencar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 15:05   #20
BHPian

M&M Marazzo. Have one and loving it. Go for M6 or M8 variant that have lumbar support. It is easy to drive and roughly the size of a C2 segment sedan ( City/Ciaz) just taller and a little wider. Has a good ride and is very fuel efficient as well. Some people find the long throw clutch bothersome. Just check if that is okay with you.
JediKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 18:03   #21
BHPian

I had the same requirements and just welcomed a pre-worshipped 2016 model XUV500 W10 in my family. The car had barely done 20k kms and came to me at a bargain deal.

The sheer space, value for money, stellar touring capabilities make it an irreplaceable car in my family. Moreover, it rides well and has a huge road presence. Plus, once you have experienced it with your family, all other cars become less of an option.

There might be some rattles with age but nothing that can't be managed. All cars (of other brands too) have some peculiar rattles with age.

Now, we have 2 of these at home with the blessing of my parents. I would strongly egg you on to search for a good piece in the pre-owned market!
SamarthMehrotra is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 21:25   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

There is a reason why the Innova sells. You simply can’t go wrong with it. I have personally seen Crystas done over 150k kms and the cars are good to go. Don’t bother with the ODO reading of an Innova. Just look for a non accidental Innova/ Crysta which has a genuine ODO reading. Stick to the AT Crysta if possible.

You are spending a big amount and a used XUV or even a new one barely make any sense. In the last week, I drove a 45k km done 2016 XUV5OO and a 2011 160k kms drive Innova 2.5 on the same day. The XUV was rattling and didn’t feel tight, on the other hand the Innova felt tight and drove so well. Hexa May be good but you have to at the end of the day deal with a Tata SVC. With a Tata vehicle once issues crop up, you are screwed. Considering the fact that this is going to be your primary car, stick to the Crysta AT/Innova 2.5.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 12:16   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Go for AT only. With large vehicles, no point in MT
True and to be frank I am trying to get a 6 seater Hexa XTA. While there are some options in Mumbai, there are not many available in Pune where I am currently located. Will keep hunting for a while till the need for a car becomes too pressing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
My 2p on this:
The Xuv 500 makes for a good purchase new but does not age well. Surprised to see it being recommended here.
This is what I have heard from a couple of people too and hence have been asking if it would hold well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
M&M Marazzo.
Will be including it in the list if I decide to opt for a new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamarthMehrotra View Post
I had the same requirements and just welcomed a pre-worshipped 2016 model XUV500 W10 in my family. The car had barely done 20k kms and came to me at a bargain deal.

There might be some rattles with age but nothing that can't be managed. All cars (of other brands too) have some peculiar rattles with age.
Congratulations and thanks for sharing. Will keep an eye for these too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
There is a reason why the Innova sells. You simply can’t go wrong with it. I have personally seen Crystas done over 150k kms and the cars are good to go. Don’t bother with the ODO reading of an Innova. Just look for a non accidental Innova/ Crysta which has a genuine ODO reading. Stick to the AT Crysta if possible.

You are spending a big amount and a used XUV or even a new one barely make any sense. In the last week, I drove a 45k km done 2016 XUV5OO and a 2011 160k kms drive Innova 2.5 on the same day. The XUV was rattling and didn’t feel tight, on the other hand the Innova felt tight and drove so well. Hexa May be good but you have to at the end of the day deal with a Tata SVC. With a Tata vehicle once issues crop up, you are screwed. Considering the fact that this is going to be your primary car, stick to the Crysta AT/Innova 2.5.
Totally agree on the Innova part. We have a 2015 Innova in the family which is over 1 lakh kms on the odo and it still feels new. However, Crysta seems to have some issues which was unprecedented with the 2.5. Also having driven it on long routes, can vouch for its lumbar back support as well. Will keep an eye out for these. Since am not in a hurry, I can wait till a good example pops up on the radar. Thanks for sharing!
Old 7th September 2020, 12:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

I don't think ANY 5 seater would be comfortable with 2 car seats. I'm not able to see your location - but can you share more details about annual mileage and the city/highway split?

Given the choices you've mentioned, it makes sense that there's no way you'd consider the Maruti Ertiga/XL6. I'd prefer the Hexa over the XUV in this case. I know a few Mahindra SUV 500 owners who were pretty happy for 6-7 years and were only complaining after that.

If you're running is not too much, I'd consider an Innova or Innova Crysta petrol. The 2.0 or 2.7 are decent engines with phenomenal reliability. Will make you feel the pinch every time you fill up, but maintenance should be a painless affair.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 13:48   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Totally agree on the Innova part. We have a 2015 Innova in the family which is over 1 lakh kms on the odo and it still feels new. However, Crysta seems to have some issues which was unprecedented with the 2.5. Also having driven it on long routes, can vouch for its lumbar back support as well. Will keep an eye out for these. Since am not in a hurry, I can wait till a good example pops up on the radar.
If you are willing to search in Bombay, there are a few examples of the last gen CRV - https://www.olx.in/pune_g4059014/car...n_2014_to_2020

Apart from the CRV, I would suggest you stick to the Innova for your requirements (Toyota/Honda).

Since you’re buying used, you have absolutely NO guarantee if the vehicle will have any major unforeseen repairs during your ownership, no matter how well the previous owner maintained it. As a result, it would be wise to start with an inherently reliable vehicle (and cheap to maintain) to begin with, so that you only need to perform wear & tear part replacements apart from regular servicing. That way, you can enjoy the vehicle without spending sleepless nights worrying about niggles & gigantic repair bills.

Speaking of the XUV500, I can’t imagine someone buying it after going through the 300 odd page thread on this website https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...tions-304.html (Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions)

If it’s going to be your daily driver, you can ill afford for it to be out of action frequently owing to niggles. You want proven reliability & safety, and in my opinion, only Toyota & Honda vehicles can give you that.

Good luck with your search & choose wisely.
Old 7th September 2020, 18:38   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I'm not able to see your location - but can you share more details about annual mileage and the city/highway split?

If you're running is not too much, I'd consider an Innova or Innova Crysta petrol. The 2.0 or 2.7 are decent engines with phenomenal reliability. Will make you feel the pinch every time you fill up, but maintenance should be a painless affair.
Currently based out of Pune. My running would be atleast around 1800-2000 kms a month. However, I am very very skeptical going in for a petrol SUV/MUV. Given the fuel prices, I would not be able to afford the fuel costs on a long term. This is the same reason I am avoiding the Innova 2.8 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
If you are willing to search in Bombay, there are a few examples of the last gen CRV - https://www.olx.in/pune_g4059014/car...n_2014_to_2020

Apart from the CRV, I would suggest you stick to the Innova for your requirements (Toyota/Honda).
The CRV, I guess would be 5 seaters. Even if 7, taking this size a vehicle with a petrol engine is something I am not really sure of now. Have started looking at Innova 2.5/Crysta 2.4 as well now on. Hope to find a good example to make a deal. Unfortunately, not many decent options at present
Old 8th September 2020, 00:29   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Currently based out of Pune. My running would be atleast around 1800-2000 kms a month. However, I am very very skeptical going in for a petrol SUV/MUV.
Petrol might make sense for someone who driver 500-700 km a month. I refrained from mentioned the previous gen Endeavour too. Although fairly reliable (my uncle has one with 134k km on the ODO), it'll be a gas guzzler and doesn't have the best ride.

Why not add the BR-V to your list? Sure, it's in the same segment as the Ertiga, but it has got a good choice of powertrains. Petrol AT (which is a brilliant package) can be financially workable if you can get the car cheap enough. I'd any day buy it over a Tata Hexa (unless the Hexa has under 20k km.)

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 8th September 2020 at 00:31.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 12:12   #28
BHPian

How about looking for a Santa Fe. Should suit your requirements
Positives
- fairly modern vehicle
- Seven Seater ( though the last seats are good for children only)
- Hyundai service network
- competent diesel
- used ones should be in the 10-12 range for 2014 ones
Cons
- discontinued vehicle
- can be a challenge to find as it sold in less numbers
Old 8th September 2020, 20:15   #29
BHPian

Not sure if you have checked this site already, but there are a few Hexa models within 14 L. https://droom.in/product/tata-hexa-x...6e4b22068b459d
Old 13th September 2020, 10:04   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

If you like the Innova 2.5 then this 2015 model with 57000 kms may be a nice option. CarWale has given the rating for various components of the car as well but the car is in Mumbai if that’s fine with you.
Attached Thumbnails
Used pre-owned SUV or MPV with 3 seat rows-228b842d1793471da0328e895a2fdceb.jpeg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks