Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2020, 17:32   #1
BHPian

Used pre-owned SUV or MPV with 3 seat rows

Hellp BHPians,

I am looking to get a preowned car and would love to get some suggestions from the group. Since parents staying with me and family is expanding, I now feel the need for a bigger/better car, something which can seat 3 adults and 2 children on car seats/booster seats. I guess none of the 5 seaters would fit the bill here but I am not completely sure and hence looking at preowned options than new ones. This would be the only car in the family and would do the city and highway duties. The other set of requirements apart from this one are-

1. Excellent lumbar back support especially for long drives
2. A good tourer and if possible, FTD
3. Something not too low (aged parents at home)
4. Maintenance/service cost shouldn't break the bank
5. Spouse may drive occasionally but would not be a regular driver
6. 2015 or newer models and only top variants if possible
7. Preferably within 10-12 lakhs (lower the better)

Owing to these I have started looking at 6/7 seaters available and I guess the options are limited

1. Tata Hexa - There are a few Hexa's available, are mostly run less than 50k, are post 2017 models and aren't overpriced. I have been preferring an XTA 6 seater which is very rare to come by.

2. XUV5OO - not many good options available but very wary of the electronics on this. Uncle's first gen XUV had the entire wiring changed within the first year or two. Also have heard of them developing plenty of rattles down the line but no first hand experience of this

3. Innova 2.5 - we have an Innova in the extended family and its a worthy consideration but the available options have well over 1 lakh on the odo and exorbitantly priced. Would still consider if a worthy option comes along

4. Crysta 2.4 - same as the Innova but good thing is that some newer models are priced at the Innova levels. Not considering the 2.8 owing to the FE it gives

5. Pajero Sport - there are few Pajero Sport available too but then should this even be on the list?

I have deliberately left out the Safari Storme and Scorpio owing to an unusable last row. Duster too has been left out owing to the uncertain future and the injector issues that plague some of them. Not considering any options from Maruti/Hyundai either.

Could have considered a preowned Superb/Jetta but the high center tunnel is a deal breaker and then there are not many options around.

Any other options that I can look at? I am not in a hurry as such and can wait for sometime as well. If there are no other/better options available, will probably settle in for a new car later

Last edited by centaur : 3rd September 2020 at 17:34.
centaur is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 18:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Used pre-owned SUV or MPV with 3 seat rows

I think a XUV5OO post 2015 model (updated one) or a Tata Hexa will be comfortable for you. Both will be easily available in the pre-owned category.
Innova is also a good option but most of the pre-owned ones will be 1 lakh kilomtres +. If you get one below 1 lakh, then its fishy.
Both XUV5OO and Hexa have good seats and highway comfort, and both can accomodate 5 adults comfortably. Besides this, you will have decent boot space for long touring drives.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 3rd September 2020 at 18:03.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 18:18   #3
BHPian

How about a Honda CRV?

I think it covers most of the aspects mentioned by you and is easier to drive.
sv97 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 18:25   #4
BHPian

How about looking into new Ertiga or almost fresh morazzo too? A bit of stretch can get you new auto version of ertiga.
kozhissery is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 18:26   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Hellp BHPians,

I am looking to get a preowned car
Your shortlist is good.
I was wondering why not consider the Mahindra Marazzo?
You can get an almost a new one and with 4-star safety it's really good!
Also the one of the best from Mahindra as discussed in this forum.
RavSam is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 19:15   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
How about a Honda CRV?
Extremely rare in the used car market. Post 2015 models are next to none

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
How about looking into new Ertiga
I would like to stay clear of Maruti when there are other options available. I understand it would be a "new" car over a preowned one but would like to give MS a Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
How about looking into new Ertiga or almost fresh morazzo too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
I was wondering why not consider the Mahindra Marazzo?
The precise reason to leave Marazzo out for now is to look at AT options in the preowned market. If I decide to settle in with a new car I guess the Mahindra twins and the Crysta would be in the list, if budget permits that is. If not, will probably unwillingly go ahead with a sedan
centaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 20:39   #7
BHPian

Considering your requirements the hexa seems to be the best shot IMO. The ride quality along with the seating comfort should please the elders and the AT is also great to have. You might have to live with a few niggles here and there but at that price point but apart from that there's not much to complain about.

For the Crysta 2.4 you might have to stretch the budget to an extent because of it's high demand+ Toyota brand value. However if you get one at the right price look no further, it's the king of mile munching.

However as a few others have suggested if you're not hell bent on owning an AT please give a look to the Marazzo it's highly underrated by the mass market. For the price of a pre owned Crysta you'll get the top of the line Marazzo.
Abhi5868 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 20:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have deliberately left out the Safari Storme and Scorpio owing to an unusable last row.
Not sure about the current ones, but the older Scorpio did have a variant with captain seats in the 2nd row and a bench seat in the 3rd row, i.e. 2 + 2 + 3 arrangement. However, not many people bought it, so finding a pre owned one would be difficult.

Unfortunately you don't want a Maruti vehicle, else Ertiga or XL6 would have been a good fit for your requirement.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 22:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Contrary to popular opinion, I'd suggest you to look for a compact SUV which is Creta-size or smaller. Hefty 7-seaters are a strict no-no for a single car garage.

Even a Tata Nexon or Mahindra XUV300 can comfortably seat 3 adults at the back. I think a 7 seater will be an overkill for your requirement.

Last edited by self_driven : 3rd September 2020 at 22:56.
self_driven is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 23:27   #10
BHPian

Quote:
1. Excellent lumbar back support especially for long drives
2. A good tourer and if possible, FTD
3. Something not too low (aged parents at home)
4. Maintenance/service cost shouldn't break the bank
5. Spouse may drive occasionally but would not be a regular driver
6. 2015 or newer models and only top variants if possible
7. Preferably within 10-12 lakhs (lower the better)

1. Tata Hexa - There are a few Hexa's available, are mostly run less than 50k, are post 2017 models and aren't overpriced. I have been preferring an XTA 6 seater which is very rare to come by.
Hexa, IMO, remains the best overall choice. Since, the car is an Automatic, your wifey will be more than happy to drive it occassionally, the engine is also a good performer and the ride quality is great. Your parents will find it very comfortable.

No touring issues. Full of space. And to top it off, you get a great ICE system that will keep your family entertained during those long trips.
chiefpk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 09:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
I think a XUV5OO post 2015 model (updated one) or a Tata Hexa will be comfortable for you. Both will be easily available in the pre-owned category.
Innova is also a good option but most of the pre-owned ones will be 1 lakh kilomtres +. If you get one below 1 lakh, then its fishy.
Both XUV5OO and Hexa have good seats and highway comfort, and both can accomodate 5 adults comfortably. Besides this, you will have decent boot space for long touring drives.
I completely disagree with you on your statement regarding Innovas having less than 1 lakh kilometers not being good. My first Innova was purchased approximately 6 years back (2.5 V 8 Seater) and is still with us while only having 65000 km on the odo and has been maintained beautifully and rides better than our 2.5 Z model which was purchased much later but has covered more than 2 Lakh Kms.

I don't think you should generalise such statements as it may deprive the OG of looking at a good option and also may confuse others in the future.
Alpha8118 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 09:50   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

With the current ongoing pandemic, you may be able to land a great deal on the XUV500. I read somewhere that they are offering discounts of close to 1.5-2L on it. See this: https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...turas/1967635/

It would be worth increasing your budget slightly if it gets you a brand new car.

Having said that, strictly from a comfortable 6 seater vehicle aspect, you would be better off with an Ertiga or XL6. Its apt to carry 6 passengers occasionally, while at other times would be small enough to easily navigate through city traffic. Check the XL6 out and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by drmohitg : 4th September 2020 at 09:54.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 10:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8118 View Post
I completely disagree with you on your statement regarding Innovas having less than 1 lakh kilometers not being good. My first Innova was purchased approximately 6 years back (2.5 V 8 Seater) and is still with us while only having 65000 km on the odo and has been maintained beautifully and rides better than our 2.5 Z model which was purchased much later but has covered more than 2 Lakh Kms.
Exactly thats my point. Please read my post carefully.
For me and lakhs of owners of Innova, do not sell their Innovas so early because its a wonderful vehicle. My point here is that if you get a Innova done less than 1 lakh, then it could be fishy like the odometer being tweeked and so requires a through inspection.
In no way I have criticized the car which is anyway wonderful. I just want the purchaser to be careful if he gets a Innova below 1 lakh kilometres.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 4th September 2020 at 10:08.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 10:07   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi5868 View Post
For the Crysta 2.4 you might have to stretch the budget to an extent because of it's high demand+ Toyota brand value.
For the price of a pre owned Crysta you'll get the top of the line Marazzo.
Absolutely. We have a 2.5 in the family and there is no doubt about it but I am looking at the V or Z variants and those options are very less. Am open to stretching my budget slightly if its a sensibly priced crysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Not sure about the current ones, but the older Scorpio did have a variant with captain seats in the 2nd row and a bench seat in the 3rd row, i.e. 2 + 2 + 3 arrangement. However, not many people bought it, so finding a pre owned one would be difficult.

Unfortunately you don't want a Maruti vehicle, else Ertiga or XL6 would have been a good fit for your requirement.
Will check on those Scorpios as well but I doubt any post 2015 ones had this option.

The reason to leave out Maruti is because we have had a 1st gen swift and currently have a dzire. Unfortunately they are not holding together well. The dzire engine (MJD) still feels as good as new at 2.5 lakh kms but the body is just falling apart. So decided to stay clear of MS this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Hefty 7-seaters are a strict no-no for a single car garage.
This has been on my mind for a while and so I actually mentioned that it would be the only car. My BIL owns a creta and we have tried it. Unfortunately it does not meet the space requirements for the second row. Rest it feels apt. I feel, if I dont get a worthy option in the 6/7 seater segment, I might have to look at this segment as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
With the current ongoing pandemic, you may be able to land a great deal on the XUV500.
Thank you for sharing this. Will surely visit M&M one of the weekends and check it out but is the XUV worth considering apart from the 7 seats it offers? I have heard of it developing rattles and squeaks down the line.
centaur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 10:38   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The reason to leave out Maruti is because we have had a 1st gen swift and currently have a dzire. Unfortunately they are not holding together well. The dzire engine (MJD) still feels as good as new at 2.5 lakh kms but the body is just falling apart. So decided to stay clear of MS this time around.
Rattles have always been a part of MSIL ownership experience but off late I would like to believe that things have started to improve gradually.

But on this topic, are you sure that Mahindra and Tata would fare any better over long term usage in terms of rattles or parts failing prematurely? The forum is filled with multiple posts suggesting otherwise. Even Toyota's built quality has come under the scanner with the current version of the Innova Crysta. Also the Innova would cost you much more than the price bracket you are looking at. A 1L km run car is a 1L km run car. Period. I have used an Innova from 2005-2015 and drive it for 1.6L kms. While fundamentally there was nothing wrong with the car, but it did start showing its age in terms of interiors showing wear and tear, various parts needing replacement such as the turbo and once there was some costly component behind the horn pad that needed replacement. So regardless of the built quality, certain parts would need replacement and this sort of takes away from the ownership experience.

A close friend and fellow BHPian has an XL6 and I was pleasantly surprised with the whole package and the VFM offering that it is. Hence would urge you to take a TD once.

A Creta/Seltos wouldn't cut the bill specially if you intend to use a child seat.
drmohitg is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks