Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2020, 23:43   #31
BHPian

Re: Used Toyota Fortuner vs new Kia Seltos / Hyundai Creta

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAHS View Post

Most of the pre-owned Fortuner 4x2 AT's (Previous gen) are driven well above 1 lakh KM. Around 5 years old with single owner. They are available in the range of 16L-18L. Mostly from dealers. Top end XUV W10 AT's are available in the range of 13L-15L. Less than 4 years old with single owner. Driven less than 80K KM.
A quick suggestion. 1 lakh kms does nothing more than a nice warm up to a Toyota. It's as good as new. If the seller is honest about the car then those extra 3-4 lakh rupees are totally worth spending.

I've owned two Innovas before and this is my third. The previous two were driven close to 3 lac kms and not even once was the engine or suspension touched. The current Crysta has already done 80k and believe me it's as good as new whereas my VW polo at 80k is already huffing and puffing. In fact my only regret with the Crysta is that I bought it new when I could have saved a couple of bucks had I looked around in the used market.
Malhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 23:51   #32
BHPian

Since you mentioned that majority of runs will be on the Highway, I suggest you should rate the following parameters higher to make your decision :

1. Safety
2. Comfort & Fatigue
3. Reliability

The Used Fortuner:

1. Being a body on frame construction, it will be lesser on safety than a well built monocoque chassis vehicle.

2. Not particularly comfortable due to the ride quality and body roll

3. Though it is a Toyota, a Lac Kilometers is too many Kilometers for any vehicle. Plus, you don't know the owner means you don't know how many different drivers have used / abused it. (as a general rule, always multiply dealer inventory vehicle Odo readings x2 irrespective of who the dealers are. Have seen even Car manufacturer backed used car dealers play the oldest trick in the book I.e. Odo tamper. Service records, call with previous owner, dealer's own car etc are all old stories.)

I feel a Seltos will be a better choice if the vehicle is going to be driven by you. If it's going to be Chauffeur driven, I believe you should invest in a Toyota Innova Crysta GX 2.7 - 7 seater variant and forget all other options. Budget wise it will be a stretch but you are getting best of both worlds. If budget is a constraint, do have a look at the Mahindra Marazzo too. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited by R_Gowardhan : 25th September 2020 at 00:06. Reason: Additional information & Grammatical correction
Old 25th September 2020, 08:22   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malhi View Post
The only thing which would have held me back is the new scrappage policy which can be implemented any day now. A 2013 diesel vehicle does not have a lot many years to serve you till it becomes a piece of garbage.
Not true. The scrappage policy talks about making the FC process a half-yearly one from the current annual one; but here's the thing, India's private vehicles have always followed a 5 year FC cycle beyond the 15th year. The annual FC cycle has applied only to commercial vehicles and so, the half-yearly mandatory FC cycle will apply only to commercial vehicles.

Of course, for Delhi/NCR folks, a 10 year old car remains worthless. But there is world beyond the NCR region where a 7 year old car will hold its value.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 08:39   #34
BHPian

The only reason I would buy a used Fortuner over a new Seltos/ Creta as a highway tourer would be to satisfy the "mine's bigger than yours" mentality. The previous model Fortuner was found to have a very uncomfortable and bumpy ride, not to mention the abysmal FE.

Even if the used vehicle is in a top condition, there could be a lot of things that could go wrong or need replacement, after 100K.
Old 25th September 2020, 09:39   #35
BHPian

Dear All,

Thank you for your valuable inputs. Just to give an update I have found a used 2014 AT 4X2 Fortuner with a dealer. He is quoting a satisfactory price for the same. Got a general check up for the vehicle at Toyota service. Apart from a few issues and pending service, the vehicle got a thumbs up from the SA. The service center showed me service history as well and it was extremely well maintained.

The vehicle was being used by a Dutch GM with a major petrochemical company working in Bangalore who happened to be the second owner. He apparently did not like the car to have even a minor scratch on it. Body/interior condition is immaculate. It has run about 95000 KMS. Will be paying advance for the vehicle today. It seems this time heart has beaten the mind.

Used Toyota Fortuner vs new Kia Seltos / Hyundai Creta-20200923_150215.jpg
Used Toyota Fortuner vs new Kia Seltos / Hyundai Creta-20200923_152810.jpg
punterccrx8s is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 09:55   #36
BHPian

As they say, when its right, its right!

Congratulations! You definitely were looking only for a Fortuner and all others were distractions. The car does seem to be in pristine condition. Wishing you many happy miles with this truck!
Tapish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 10:15   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punterccrx8s View Post
. It seems this time heart has beaten the mind.
I expected this and I am glad you listened to your heart though I thought you will take long to find a car in great condition. if one can't take a chance with a Toyota car, just how much more cautious one needs to be in life!!

Congratulations and all the very best.
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 11:19   #38
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on getting one that looks great. I have always thought a used Fortuner is best for vacations for my family of 4. It can be used for driving to hills and rural area jaunts without worrying about reliability.

I love the Endeavour but wouldn't buy a used one ever. A new one simply costs too much for only out of town drives.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 12:45   #39
BHPian

Congratulations! That was really quick. I am glad you listened to your heart and not mind! Vehicle looks great. I only wish this beast was WHITE in color.

Considering I am also in market for pre-owned Fortuner, would you mind sharing below details please?

1. What's the price quoted by the dealer and what is the final deal?
2. Dealer details please. I am in south Bangalore.
3. What's the procedure to get the car checked at Toyota? Which Toyota dealer?
4. Do they share the complete service history of the vehicle? How much time it takes & how much they charge for this service?
5. Considering this is 2014 4x2 AT, is it 4-speed AT or 5-speed AT?

Thank you!
RAHS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 18:26   #40
BHPian

Thank you all for the wonderful wishes. I got vehicle home by paying advance of 5 lakhs. Dealer was kind enough to let me park it at home till Oct 18th. However official key handover will be only after October 18th due to some ongoing religious thing.. I am still in awe of the size of the vehicle. Heres a pic of my cbr650 next to it.

Used Toyota Fortuner vs new Kia Seltos / Hyundai Creta-20200925_171526.jpg
punterccrx8s is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 18:29   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Congratulations! You definitely were looking only for a Fortuner and all others were distractions.
No actually I still have the booking for seltos. That was always the only option till I had a sudden epiphany.
Old 25th September 2020, 18:41   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAHS View Post
1. What's the price quoted by the dealer and what is the final deal?
2. Dealer details please. I am in south Bangalore.
3. What's the procedure to get the car checked at Toyota? Which Toyota dealer?
4. Do they share the complete service history of the vehicle? How much time it takes & how much they charge for this service?
5. Considering this is 2014 4x2 AT, is it 4-speed AT or 5-speed AT?

Thank you!
I was always looking for non white vehicles. Would've loved to own black but they are almost non existent. So settled for silver. Will PM you the price and dealer. I have asked him to inform me if any other vehicle comes for sale.

As far as the procedure to get car checked is concerned I took it to Toyota express service on KR Road. They were packed as expected and what was to be a 1 hour wait turned out to be 8 hours. You can take your dealer or seller along with you by making a prior booking.

It is a general check up and it costs Rs 2000 including GST. Totally worth it . He showed me and the dates and kms when the car was serviced including insurance claims and body work. This car's bumpers were repainted 4 times in 2 years as apparently Shell technology center Bangalore GM wanted his car to be in top notch condition. But even the first owner maintained the car extremely well. That was another factor which made me choose this car. It was owned by a Dutch person and not some local wannabe politician.

If you need any help please contact me.
punterccrx8s is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 20:22   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punterccrx8s View Post
If you need any help please contact me.
Thank you so much for the information! Appreciate your quick response. Your buying experience and ownership experience will certainly help many. Please keep this thread updated with your experiences. I will PM you for more details.

Congratulations once again & wish you many more happy miles with this truck! I am so happy to see the beast parked at your place. It feels great when a fellow BHPian listens to his heart and not mind

Cheers,
RAHS
RAHS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 01:02   #44
BHPian

Just came across this thread , congrats on the fortuner, Its an absolute gem of a car, am glad you did not listen to most suggestions �� buying a seltos over this is sheer blasphemy ��.

Have owned the 1st gen fortuner for a good 7 years ran it for 1.75 lakh kms and all i ever did was routine service , alignment balancing , tyre change once and battery change once. Sold it because of the 10yr ngt rule in delhi , i seriously miss that car though, trust me this car wont let you down. You will love the asc experience of toyota atleast i did and miss it still.
Safe miles and congrats once again.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 12:17   #45
BHPian

New seltos anyday. The fortuner is undoubtedly reliable, but it's still an old car, has problematic ride, and will probably return lesser FE despite it being a diesel, has lesser features, is much more massive ( but I guess that won't matter much since it'll be driven frequently on highways ).

EDIT : didn't notice you had already gone for tfort. Congratulations, may you enjoy many happy miles with it.

Last edited by SaiSW : 28th September 2020 at 12:21.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks