Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2020, 10:28   #1
BHPian

Used Toyota Fortuner vs new Kia Seltos / Hyundai Creta

Dear BHPians,

I need your help in deciding between a used second gen fortuner or a new car( either Seltos htx petrol manual or Creta sx petrol manual). The car will mainly be used for highway travels once a month and occasional city use. I have found pre owned 2013 fortuner with 122500 kms on the ODO with a dealer in Bangalore. The dealer is offering to allow me to take the vehicle to Toyota to get it checked. I am searching for later models as well.

Please suggest as Im really confused. All three cars fall within a budget of 17 lakhs. Thanks in advance.
punterccrx8s is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 10:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Used Toyota Fortuner vs new Kia Seltos / Hyundai Creta

Quote:
Originally Posted by punterccrx8s View Post
Dear BHPians,

I need your help in deciding between a used second gen fortuner or a new car( either Seltos htx petrol manual or Creta sx petrol manual). The car will mainly be used for highway travels once a month and occasional city use. I have found pre owned 2013 fortuner with 122500 kms on the ODO with a dealer in Bangalore. The dealer is offering to allow me to take the vehicle to Toyota to get it checked. I am searching for later models as well.
The Fortuner is the best vehicle among the ones that you have mentioned. If occasional highway travel once a month is your main reason, then you can invest in a pre-owned tough build SUV like the Fortuner. However please bear in mind it's 7 years old and done 1 lakh + kilometres. So you will have to check the service history. Toyota is known for their service, so the vehicle will probably be in good order, provided all the services are done at authorized service centers and its not an accident vehicle.
Please search the relevant thread in the forum for buying pre-owned cars.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 21st September 2020 at 10:55.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 10:57   #3
BHPian

A new car will always drive better than one with 1.xx on the odo. Even though Toyotas hold up well, its still going to be a used/ abused (since you don't know the owner) car at the end of the day.

I would suggest to push your budget a little more to get a diesel auto seltos/ creta that will serve you well both for the highway and the city.

Tapish
Tapish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 10:59   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please suggest as Im really confused. All three cars fall within a budget of 17 lakhs. Thanks in advance.
A simple test drive will help you decide between Fortuner vs other two. Totally different class of vehicles, so a test drive should be the starting point of decision making process.

The decision between Seltos vs Creta is a bit harder given they are not that different from each other.

For your occasional usage, maybe you can go with Fortuner and try to find a good deal. Seltos/Creta would be great as a daily driver.
androdev is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 11:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
The Fortuner is the best vehicle among the ones that you have mentioned. If occasional highway travel once a month is your main reason, then you can invest in a pre-owned tough build SUV like the Fortuner. However please bear in mind it's 7 years old and done 1 lakh + kilometres. So you will have to check the service history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
A new car will always drive better than one with 1.xx on the odo. Even though Toyotas hold up well, its still going to be a used/ abused (since you don't know the owner) car at the end of the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
For your occasional usage, maybe you can go with Fortuner and try to find a good deal. Seltos/Creta would be great as a daily driver.
Yes. Since the dealer has given me the option of getting the vehicle checked before proceeding with anything I will get it done. Now it is mind (Seltos) vs heart ( Fortuner). Cannot make a decision right now between the two. Will keep looking for good condition fortuners.

I wanted an opinion of bhpians before proceeding with anything. Do you guys think the price is fair for a 2013 Model 3.0 4x2 AT Fortuner? He's quoting 16.75 negotiable. If I can get a 15 model within 17 lakhs that would be a no brainer for me. Also getting a 2014 4x4 MT for 16.75 as well.

Last edited by Aditya : 21st September 2020 at 22:51. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
punterccrx8s is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 13:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wanted an opinion of bhpians before proceeding with anything. Do you guys think the price is fair for a 2013 Model 3.0 4x2 AT Fortuner? He's quoting 16.75 negotiable. If I can get a 15 model within 17 lakhs that would be a no brainer for me. Also getting a 2014 4x4 MT for 16.75 as well.
As you have mentioned in the first post that you need a car for the highways, there's no need to invest in a 4x4 MT.
A 4x2 AT will be more comfortable to drive on the highways.
Unless you plan to go off road, a 4x4 is not required.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 14:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need your help in deciding between a used second gen fortuner or a new car( either Seltos htx petrol manual or Creta sx petrol manual). The car will mainly be used for highway travels once a month and occasional city use. I have found pre owned 2013 fortuner with 122500 kms on the ODO with a dealer in Bangalore.
A Fortuner (however well maintained) with 122500 kms vs a new vehicle at the same price point is a no brainer. Either Creta or Seltos doesn’t matter at all.

I would strongly suggest you get a new vehicle and enjoy the peace of mind it offers. In this case going with your heart could cause heartburn.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 14:46   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
A Fortuner (however well maintained) with 122500 kms vs a new vehicle at the same price point is a no brainer. Either Creta or Seltos doesn’t matter at all.

I would strongly suggest you get a new vehicle and enjoy the peace of mind it offers. In this case going with your heart could cause heartburn.

Cheers
Thank you for the input. I think you've convinced me that buying a used fortuner vs the other two is a bad idea.
Old 21st September 2020, 15:42   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the input. I think you've convinced me that buying a used fortuner vs the other two is a bad idea.
Would a used Endeavour set a cat amongst the pigeons for you?

Used Fortuners hold their value more than Endeavours do. So if you pick the latter when used, you're bound to get a newer/lesser run model for the same amount of money. Buying used (provided you do your due diligence in evaluating it) is always bound to work out better financially.

A word about buying used - while you'll avoid a huge down-payment and fixed costs in the form of EMIs, you should still be prepared to carry out preventive maintenance and inevitably shell out money for worn out parts. And in the end, this will likely still work out cheaper when compared to buying new. Do not let the relatively higher frequency of repairs with used cars fool you into thinking that buying new is inherently better.
locusjag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 16:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now youve put me back into a confused state
A last word of advice friend, pay the booking amount on the vehicle of your choice (Creta or Seltos) and put yourself out of this misery.

A vehicle which has high running on the clock just cannot compare to a brand new vehicle - period.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 16:53   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
A last word of advice friend, pay the booking amount on the vehicle of your choice (Creta or Seltos) and put yourself out of this misery.

A vehicle which has high running on the clock just cannot compare to a brand new vehicle - period.

Cheers
Ive already booked the Seltos about a year back. Due to lack of funds wasn't able to purchase. That booking is still valid. Unless I get a very good deal for a fortuner I will go ahead with the Seltos. Thank you for your input.
Old 21st September 2020, 16:55   #12
BHPian

Firstly speaking of your necessity, fortuner isn't the best vehicle in terms of comfort during highway drives. Innova might be a better choice for highway drives.

Next speaking of little but often overlooked before buying - the mental after-effects of a pre-owned car with high mileage. After one Lakh KMs, unless very carefully maintained (pampered), you'll find the physical wear of many things in the inside like seats, seat covers, steering, door handles , center console, hear knob and such plastic stuff, which loses texture and shines after regular use. So if you decide to get a used vehicle with high mileage, you must be prepared to face these everytime you get in the car.

With the new car, we all know the story, how it goes. So sure Fortuner is a great looking car and an able off-roader with a huge fan following and road presence, but will it tick your main box of providing you the comfort on highway drives ?
saisailendra is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 23:58   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Used Toyota Fortuner vs new Kia Seltos / Hyundai Creta

The Fortuner is supremely NOT comfortable. Also, the used car is well above 1 lac kms.

Even though, it is a Toyota, if you don't specifically have a purpose to rough it up using a Body on Frame SUV, or 4x4, go for a newer, more comfortable, I think to an extent, better equipped SUV - eyes closed.
dhanushs is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 00:04   #14
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

2013 was the year Toyota had a 4-speed and a 5-speed AT. Do check on that. 4-speed will almost always give you single digit FE. With 5-speed AT you can go upto 13 kmpl I guess.

The Fortuner is pretty bare bones compared to the other options. It also lacks comfort.
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 03:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPians,

I need your help in deciding between a used second gen fortuner or a new car( either Seltos htx petrol manual or Creta sx petrol manual)....
I'd say don't. The car maybe reliable and fairly cheap to maintain, ride quality is bad. Unless you need a 4x4 or MUST have the Fortuner, please look at other options. More information on your current ride and space requirements will give us a better idea to help you decide.

Try looking at a used Innova Crysta if you must have a body-on-frame UV.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks