Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which one would you choose?
Hyundai Tucson 107 34.29%
Honda CR-V 27 8.65%
Jeep Compass 106 33.97%
Volkswagen T-Roc 29 9.29%
Mahindra Alturas G4 20 6.41%
Other (please specify in your post) 23 7.37%
Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2020, 16:31   #1
Team-BHP Support

Hyundai Tucson vs Honda CR-V vs Jeep Compass vs others

Hyundai Tucson vs Honda CR-V vs Jeep Compass vs others-hyundai-tucson-facelift.png

Hyundai Tucson
Hyundai Tucson vs Honda CR-V vs Jeep Compass vs others-dsc04749.jpg

What you'll like:

• Contemporary styling that is universally appealing
• Punchy 2.0L diesel engine mated to a smooth 8-speed automatic transmission
• Comfortable ride quality & car-like dynamics
• Cool features such as the panoramic sunroof, hands-free tailgate, LED headlamps, electric parking brake, ECO / Sport driving modes, Blue Link telematics & more
• Top-notch safety kit: 6 airbags, ESC, VSM, all-wheel disc brakes, hill-start assist etc.
• Hyundai's reliability, competent after-sales, 3 year unlimited km warranty & 3 years of free servicing!

What you won't:

• No w-o-w factor on the inside. Interior simply doesn't feel special enough for a Rs. 30 lakh car
• Expensive, especially the top trim. Full-size 7-seater SUVs are priced in the same ballpark
• Some features are conspicuous by their absence (ventilated seats)
• No manual transmission available
• 2.0L petrol motor is strictly average. Doesn't impress like the diesel

Review Link

The 2020 Facelift

Review Link

Honda CR-V

What you'll like:

• New, sharper design has a wider appeal vs the previous-gen car
• Interior quality has taken a huge leap forward and is at par with European competitors
• Spacious cabin for 5
• Sorted dynamics & car-like mannerisms
• Features such as the lane change camera, digital cockpit, push-button gear selector, panoramic sunroof & more

What you won't:

• Simply overpriced for what it offers!
• No diesel or AWD options available
• Some omissions such as front parking sensors, electronic tailgate operation etc.
• 7-seater variant has been dropped

Review Link

Jeep Compass

What you'll like:

• Handsome Cherokee-inspired styling & loads of character
• Solid build. Feels very robust, just as a Jeep should
• Powerful 2.0L diesel. Good driveability in the city, fast on the open road
• 1.4L turbo-petrol makes 161 BHP! Offers fast performance.
• Mature suspension setup, nicely-tuned EPS & rock-solid stability
• Capable AWD available (unlike some competitors)
• City-friendly: Compact size, higher seating, smooth gearshift, soft clutch & low NVH
• Topnotch safety: Strong all-disc brakes, a plethora of electronic aids & 6 airbags
• We think the Compass is well-priced for what it offers. The driving experience & overall package feel premium

What you won't:

• Small size for the price! A sentiment echoed by most people who saw it in person
• Suitable for 4 adults, not 5. Boot is small too
• Tiny dealership network. Plus, after-sales quality & long-term reliability are unknown factors
• AWD's premium is over 2 lakh rupees on-the-road. Includes 4 extra airbags, but is still too much
• Turning radius of 5.65m is wide. Also, 17º approach angle is too low
• Missing goodies (blanks on the steering, auto-dimming IRVM, auto wipers & headlamps, lumbar adjustment, reclinable rear seats)

Review Link

The Petrol Automatic:

Review Link

The Trailhawk:

Link to Report

Volkswagen T-Roc
Hyundai Tucson vs Honda CR-V vs Jeep Compass vs others-troc.jpg

Seahawk's Ownership Review

Mahindra Alturas G4
Hyundai Tucson vs Honda CR-V vs Jeep Compass vs others-dsc_0994.jpg

Link to Short Review

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd November 2020 at 11:50.
Aditya is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 08:50   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Tucson vs Honda CR-V vs Jeep Compass vs others

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the SUVs Section. Thanks for sharing!

This is actually a tricky one because the segment is very disjointed - there are big price differences between the alternatives, size differences, 2 seat rows vs 3 and a body-on-frame SUV is in the mix too.

I'd pick either the Tucson for its wonderful engine + 8 speed gearbox + all rounded nature + sorted suspension, or the T-Roc for its engine + gearbox performance + European build. What works against the Tucson is its age & boring cabin, while for the T-Roc, it's the small size. Love the Jeep Compass, but I've become an AT convert and the Jeep's AT options (whether petrol or diesel) are quite imperfect.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:44   #3
BANNED

My pick - Hyundai Tucson

Best all-rounder in this segment and I'd not mind upgrading to it from my Creta 1.6L CRDi. That engine + gearbox combination is fabulous and doesn't feel that it has a torque converter underneath. Way it has been tuned maintains the balance for both usages i.e. city-specific as well as highways. In the short TD that I got, it felt great also couldn't notice any braking issues which Hyundai is famous for anyway.

Honda CR-V has lost its appeal and doesn't figure in the shortlist at all.

The only worthy competitor IMO to the Hyundai Tucson is the Jeep Compass. Looks beautiful even now and guarantees a second look when spotted on the road.

Last edited by a4anurag : 3rd November 2020 at 09:46.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:22   #4
BHPian

Any reason why the Skoda Karoq doesn’t feature on this list? It’s in the same range as the other cars mentioned here on most parameters. In fact the Alturas here is an outlier, as it appeals to a Fortuner/Endeavour buyer. The buyer of a Karoq or CR-V is different from that of a Fortuner.

My pick would be the Karoq as it is very competent and feels the most special out of all these cars. It’s expensive, but worth the premium.

In the absence of the Karoq, my pick is the Honda CR-V. Underwhelming engine aside, it pretty much does it all. Outstanding ride quality, trouble free ownership, solid build and an upmarket cabin. Honda deserves a pat on the back for such a sorted product. Equally they also deserve to be reprimanded for one of the worst product launch and planning efforts ever.

The Compass and T-Roc have bucketloads of appeal, but miss out on the practicality aspect. And the Tucson just doesn’t appeal to me (or Hyundais in general).

Last edited by Aaron:) : 3rd November 2020 at 10:24.
Aaron:) is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:46   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly, none of these cars make sense. All of them are either highly overpriced and/or come with some major compromises like Honda’s choice of powertrain or Jeep’s poorly calibrated AT OR TRoc’s tiny cabin. All of them are certified market duds. Which means all of them are MASSIVE depreciation disasters.

If I am in the market, I’d only consider getting these cars pre loved. I’ll expect year old cars to go for 30-50% less than the on road price. If strictly brand new, my money will go to either the Tata Harrier or the Endeavour/Fortuner depending on how much I want to spend.

PS: I have my eyes on a year old top end Jeep Compass that is just about into 4 digits on the meter, available for almost 10L less than the on road price.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 3rd November 2020 at 10:54.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Is there a reason why SUVs from different segment (T-Roc on one side and Altura on the other end) are being compared and why some of the SUVs (Creta, Seltos, Karoq, Allspace....) are missing from the list?
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:14   #7
BHPian

Honda CR-V
What you won't:

• 3rd row is best suited to kids only
• Some omissions such as front parking sensors, electronic tailgate operation etc.
• 7-seater variant has been dropped

Jeep Compass
What you won't:

• Inexplicably, only the AWD Diesel gets 6 airbags! All other variants have 2

Kindly edit the post as in case of the CRV if the 3rd row variant has been dropped then I think it doesn't make sense to mention that the 3rd row is best suited to kids only and the omissions cited such as front parking sensors, electric tail-gate etc. have been added in the limited edition.

In case of the Jeep Compass in the Limited plus 6 airbags are available which is available in 4*2 variants.

Last edited by sv97 : 3rd November 2020 at 11:19.
sv97 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:43   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
Any reason why the Skoda Karoq doesn’t feature on this list?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Is there a reason why SUVs from different segment (T-Roc on one side and Altura on the other end)
Agreed, guys. But we have to draw the line somewhere, else there will be 20 poll options on these threads. Have just included those in the list that I thought a potential Tucson customer will cross-shop with. Did think of the Karoq, but picked T-Roc as its cheaper.

If you want to vote for any other option, please use the "other" poll option .
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:50   #9
BANNED

Close one for me between the Compass and the Karoq.

What I like about Compass over the Karoq -
1. Its larger (by a small margin but still).
2. Made in India and not a CBU
3. Even though Jeep and Skoda don't have good after sales services, I would prefer Jeeps over Skoda's based on reviews I have read.
4. Is offered with 4x4 which is absent in the Karoq.
5. Design is a bit more SUVish compared to the Karoq.
6. Engine is a much more powerful than the Karoq's.

What I like about the Karoq over the Compass -
1. The Karoq just triumphs the Compass on equipment. (9 airbags)
2. Feels car-like while driving in the city.
3. Refined engine
4. Better interior design (both feel solid though).
5. The backseat is a bit more spacious with the likes of a panoramic sunroof and large quarter glass.

Verdict -
Jeep Compass for me, 4x4 is a must for me and since my monthly usage is a lot hence I need a diesel which sadly the Karoq doesn't offer. The engine power and the torque is the main differentiator for me. It was a very close one for me but the Jeep Compass is a little bit better.

Thanks.
Old 3rd November 2020, 13:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Voted for 'others'. I would pick the Tiguan Allspace if the budget is not a constraint. This may change once petrol Kodiaq is launched.
+ves
  • Well built SUV with car-like handling
  • 5 star safety
  • Smooth and powerful turbo petrol engine (FE seems to be not so great though)
  • Packed with all modern features one can think of
  • Spacious boot and extra seats for occasional use.
  • AWD
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 13:40   #11
BHPian

Voted for Compass!!

Brilliant diesel+Manual gearbox+butch looks is all I could wish for. Infact the ever decreasing manual options north of 20 lakhs has been a bit worrying for me. By the time I've the balance, they might diminish all together.

Last edited by Abhi5868 : 3rd November 2020 at 13:41.
Abhi5868 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 13:52   #12
BHPian

Voted for the Tucson. If requirement is a diesel, with that punchy motor and well tuned 8 speed auto, it's a global Hyundai with much better build and lesser issues than other Hyundais. But if the choice of fuel is petrol, then nothing beats the VW Tiguan Allspace, it is powerful, solidly built like a typical VW and has a bit of practicality as well.
Old 3rd November 2020, 14:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

I not only voted for the Tucson, I actually bought one in January 2020 in the BS4 guise at a decent discount. I sold my aging CRV to get this car and test drove ALL possible competition multiple times.

10 months of driving the car - and I have ZERO regrets. The diesel engine and the ride are especially fantastic.
Old 3rd November 2020, 14:32   #14
BHPian

Jeep Compass for me, the Trailhawk version which I picked up recently with a good discount.
I had to upgrade from the Jetta (with a heavy heart) and after taking test drives of compass, new Tucson, CRV diesel which I tried earlier and is not available now and Kodiaq(again NA) I think it’s the closest in terms of a fun to drive car to the Jetta among the aforementioned lot.
The transmission is pretty sluggish especially coming from Vw dsg but once you are upto speed and for relaxed driving its pretty smooth.
Also I feel the ride at all speeds is better than Jetta though obviously not as flat and the steering more feelsome too. So among the above choices it is my pick.
Only wish there was more equipment and a lower price.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Tucson vs Honda CR-V vs Jeep Compass vs others-29d61bcd4af341638b9ba2f05d00e940.jpeg  

spkrnh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 15:58   #15
BHPian

This will be a segment to watch out for in the coming 5 years I feel…

With how SUVs are flying off the shelves, there is definitely space for a Octavia/Corolla/Elantra equivalent — a premium SUV that is parkable and maneuverable in the city (ie. not 3 row size). Is this a big enough use case to carve out a niche between the Creta and Fortuner segments? I feel so, but we'll have to wait and see.

For now, my money would be on the Karoq (or Tucson if one doesn't want Skoda service headache)
batladanny is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks